Author Topic: Gleemax down today, due to North Korea attacks !!  (Read 26794 times)

Nuntius Mortis

• Curious George
    • Email
Re: Gleemax down today, due to North Korea attacks !!
« Reply #160 on: July 20, 2009, 06:30:29 PM »
Besides the fact people need to feel superior to others,

They don't. That's just an assumption you make by living in a strictly capitalistic society that exemplifies attitudes of superiority.
Never underestimate a halfling!

Sepehr Anvari - Chaos Monk

Velnius Agonista - Halfling Thrower (needs repair)

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #161 on: July 20, 2009, 06:51:50 PM »
Besides the fact people need to feel superior to others,
They don't. That's just an assumption you make by living in a strictly capitalistic society that exemplifies attitudes of superiority.
I was using the term people to refer to a subset of the human population of this planet, even though this is a misnomer as humans are barely selfaware. Let me refraise that a little, I like to feel superior to others, mostly people like you who don't think out their arguments, and I know I'm not alone in this.
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

Nuntius Mortis

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #162 on: July 20, 2009, 06:59:55 PM »
I was using the term people to refer to a subset of the human population of this planet, even though this is a misnomer as humans are barely selfaware. Let me refraise that a little, I like to feel superior to others, mostly people like you who don't think out their arguments, and I know I'm not alone in this.

People only need to feel superior when they're unsure about themselves. Luckilly, I'm quite sure about what I'm doing and what I believe in order to not feel superior.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #163 on: July 20, 2009, 07:04:55 PM »
People only need to feel superior when they're unsure about themselves. Luckilly, I'm quite sure about what I'm doing and what I believe in order to not feel superior.
So you're saying that you're missing the component of your limbic system that give you the endorphin and adrenaline rush when you engage in debates such as this, or in athletic confrontation?
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Nuntius Mortis

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #164 on: July 20, 2009, 08:25:28 PM »
So you're saying that you're missing the component of your limbic system that give you the endorphin and adrenaline rush when you engage in debates such as this, or in athletic confrontation?

I played basketball for 10 years, I've participated in a lot of chess tournaments (actually, I participate in one these days as well) and I always engage in debates so be sure that I almost always have that adrenaline rush. When I beat someone at something though I do not feel superior. When I lose I don't feel inferior either. It's just a game, dude. There's no reason in getting angry about it.

The human race functions way better in a synagonistic environment than on an antagonistic one.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #165 on: July 20, 2009, 08:35:26 PM »
When I beat someone at something though I do not feel superior. When I lose I don't feel inferior either. It's just a game, dude. There's no reason in getting angry about it.
I'm not talking about ego, or rage, I'm talking about the feeling that you have won, the endorphine rush, can you honestly tell me that you've never felt that?

The human race functions way better in a synagonistic environment than on an antagonistic one.
That is an unprovable opinion, since an absolutely synagonistic or antagonistic for the inter human race can never be acheived.

Nuntius Mortis

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #166 on: July 20, 2009, 08:45:43 PM »

I'm not talking about ego, or rage, I'm talking about the feeling that you have won, the endorphine rush, can you honestly tell me that you've never felt that?

The happiness about your win never makes you feeling superior. On the contrary, it makes you respect the other player even more.

That is an unprovable opinion, since an absolutely synagonistic or antagonistic for the inter human race can never be acheived.

Yes, it is my opinion but I don't think it's unprovable. Just imagine how many things the human race could achieve if everyone worked for a common goal if we weren't so busy trying to figure out how we could backstab our co-worker in order to take their place.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 11:59:23 PM by Nuntius Mortis »

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #167 on: July 20, 2009, 11:50:39 PM »
Yes, it is my opinion but I don't think it's unprovable. Just imagine how many things the human race could achieve if everyone worked for a common goal if we weren't so busy trying to figure out how we could backstab our co-worker in order to take their place.
I can imagine that utopia, I just know that humanity is no where near that level of auturism...

I just have seen enough of human nature to know that what you dream won't happen till the name Obama is lost and forgotten... 20,000 years from now, maybe...

Nuntius Mortis

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #168 on: July 21, 2009, 12:03:20 AM »
I can imagine that utopia, I just know that humanity is no where near that level of auturism...

I just have seen enough of human nature to know that what you dream won't happen till the name Obama is lost and forgotten... 20,000 years from now, maybe...

However, you've only seen enough of human nature as it currently is. You have no knowledge how human nature was 2,000 years ago and how it will be 2,000 years in the future. I do not have such knowledge either. I only know that our DNA doesn't render us incapable of reaching that level of altruism. What renders us incapable of doing that is the current economic system.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #169 on: July 21, 2009, 12:05:53 AM »
I only know that our DNA doesn't render us incapable of reaching that level of altruism.
The hell it doesn't... We are still coded for being tribes of primates, fighting each other for mates, food, and pecking order.

Nuntius Mortis

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #170 on: July 21, 2009, 12:19:00 AM »
We are still coded for being tribes of primates, fighting each other for mates, food, and pecking order.

Humans are not plain primates. They are sentient beings. It's just that nowadays human use their intellect in order to destroy themselves and nature instead of protecting the nature and working towards the improvement of humanity.

That said, there are a lot of primates that are actually a lot more capable of giving a helping hand to those in need than certain "humans".

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #171 on: July 21, 2009, 12:26:38 AM »
They are sentient beings.
I call Bull Shit! :eh

Johannixx

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #172 on: July 21, 2009, 01:54:02 AM »
I think we've beaten this dead horse absolutely to a pulp.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #173 on: July 21, 2009, 03:50:11 AM »

:beathorse
Why would they give us this if we weren't ment to use it?

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #174 on: July 21, 2009, 08:21:37 AM »
If it's bullshit, then why do they do it?  And why are they more profitable than their competitors?  It seems to be working for them.
You are not living in an anarchocapitalist world, now are you?

Handy Links

Nuntius Mortis

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #175 on: July 21, 2009, 10:29:13 AM »

And that's the first time that I completely agree with you in that topic.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #176 on: July 21, 2009, 11:30:02 AM »
Here, have some science.

*Throws fuel in dead horse*
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #177 on: July 27, 2009, 07:56:40 PM »
Gleemax was down the day after I made the OP.
North Korea did NOT attack anything that day.
Therefore ... a 9 pages bout of Limbo-ism broke out. Sweet.

Veekie's link - nice.
Some recent soccer hooligan "matches" were defused from within the mob, via doing the opposite of the "Kettling" technique.
And if it works for soccer hooligans ... it'll work on Meg BG-boards craziness.

Also: "mobs are not irrational". Wow. Or hmm ...
Mobs have always been study-able ; I guess mobs are now actually being studied.
Good deal.

" This temporary homogenisation is common: think of the cohesiveness of soccer fans supporting an international team who might be hostile when supporting their own local clubs.
People who were previously antagonistic - anarchists, conservatives, class war activists - end up uniting in common group membership."
Heh.
It just happened here, too.
[spoiler]Can I make a "homo" (-genisation) joke in context of the quote above?
 :D[/spoiler]