Author Topic: The A-List: The Wizard's Best Spells For Every Situation  (Read 72616 times)

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
Re: The A-List: The Wizard's Best Spells For Every Situation
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2010, 07:53:13 PM »
Under defense, mind blank is a premier spell. It also serves double duty under obfuscation when coupled with some form of invisibility or shapechanging, because it stops true seeing.

For counter-intelligence, I'm a huge fan of detect scrying. Coupled with nondetection or mind blank, it makes for a nice "you can't see me but I can see you" trick and gives you enough info to launch a counter-attack via teleport.

For action enhancement, arcane spellsurge effectively quickens every spell you cast, and drops summons down to a standard action. However, it is more abusable as a Sorcerer. If you're including spells you can add to your list, arcane fusion and it's greater cousin are extremely powerful as well.

I have to second the shapechange -> elemental weird idea for intelligence gathering. Free action contact other plane is powerful (the weird abilities were reprinted in Frostburn and remained free actions).
BrokeAndDrive speaks the Truth (linked for great justice and signature limits)

Quotes I Found Entertaining:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

As a general rule, murdering people and taking their stuff is pretty much superior to breaking their stuff, murdering them, then not having any stuff to take.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]
Oh I'll make a party. I'll make a party so hard... I'll make a party that makes you feel so awkward downstairs.

You'll see the party and only be able to respond, "Oh yeah baby."
[/spoiler]

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2010, 08:56:26 PM »
Glyph Seal ( <= 2nd level spells) and Glyph Seal, Greater ( >= 5th level spells). You can put personal range spells into them. So, for example, you could put a 300gp Crystal of Return, Least on the BSF's sword, and the glyph seal right next to where he grabs it, so he gets a wraithstrike when he draws his sword.

Delicate Disk does the same job for spells up to 5th level, so there's an app for that.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2010, 09:48:25 PM »
(late as usual)

I'll 2nd TMonk20's thread linked above, post #2 has the links.

I think getting a little Psionics onto a Wizard's list of possibilities, is generally do-able.
Say around level 9 or 10, Leadership Cohort Erudite 7 with Spell To Power for the sharing and caring.
Metamorphic Transfer feat is within reach, and cheap. Alter Self = Shapechange lite.
Dragon #349 Chameleon Crafting feat can allow Scrolls Of Psi-Powers ... therefore learnable.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2010, 12:03:47 AM »
LogicNinja's Batman Wizard Guide

I recommend you include links to Batman and GOD Wizards in your main post.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2010, 02:53:45 AM »
For low levels, power word pain is great for damage, as is nosh's energy whip.
I would refute the idea of Power Word Pain being good for anything, since it overkills weak monsters and doesn't do enough against strong ones.  It's probably the best first-level blast at first level, but by level 4 I'd be looking to switch off to Hail of Stone or even Magic Missile, assuming I'd prepare anything other than comprehend languages, grease, etc.

So, for purposes of this thread... I don't think it's quite up to snuff.

Redeemer of Ogar

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • My wife's art page:
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2010, 01:38:18 PM »
Delicate Disk does the same job for spells up to 5th level, so there's an app for that.

I was briefly all over that spell... until I realized that each disc was the size of a frisbee. Palm-size I could live with, but Tron Discs, not so much. :P

Widow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2010, 03:17:44 PM »
Battlemagic perception L3 (Heroes of battle) needs to go on the list.  An immediate action counterspell is always good.

RealMarkP

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2010, 04:45:56 PM »
Has anyone mentioned Stop Heart: Subject drops to -8hp immediately.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 05:17:41 PM by RealMarkP »

dna1

• Hong Kong
  • Im not albino Im just from Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2010, 05:58:16 PM »
I thought I would throw my 2 cents in. ok now Im not breaking them down into catagorys, but these are some of the spells ALL of my casters take.

*Spells -not doing a huge list, just some must haves
1- true strike/alarm
2- Wings of Cover(MUST HAVE)/ familiar pocket/ see invis
3- manyjaws/permiable form/ slow
4- wings of fury(MUST HAVE)/ evervation/d.door/assay resistence
5- wall of force
6- contingency/ tactical teleport(MUST HAVE super usefull)
7- force cage(highly suggested)/ powerword blind/ limited wish
8- ottos dance/ ottos telekinetic sphere/ power word petrify
9- timestop/shape change
Slappin ho's like E-Honda

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2010, 06:26:01 PM »
4) Psychic Reformation converted ... too good, too useful.

Widow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2010, 07:02:16 PM »

I was briefly all over that spell... until I realized that each disc was the size of a frisbee. Palm-size I could live with, but Tron Discs, not so much. :P

Yeah, a familar belt or whatever it is called with 64 10lb pockets goes well assuming the wholes are big enough.  One disjunction though and you are back to square one.

Level 2:
Heroics (SC):  Grants the target a fighter bonus feat for 10 minutes per level.  Improved Initiative is a fighter bonus feat.  So are Martial Study and Martial Stance.

Martial study grants you a new class skill, I wonder if you could use this to make it a class skill during leveling for cheaper/more ranks or help with early entry into something without multi-classing.

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2010, 09:13:18 PM »
Should Mobility be split into long term and one shot? Like Phantom steed vs Dimension Door?
Skill prodigy from Kingdoms of Kalamar

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2010, 11:46:41 PM »
Mobility
I agree with splitting long-term (at least a minute per level) and short-term mobility spells.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2010, 01:02:30 AM »
Martial study grants you a new class skill, I wonder if you could use this to make it a class skill during leveling for cheaper/more ranks or help with early entry into something without multi-classing.
Strictly according to RAW, you spend skill points before you pick a feat, so I'm afraid not. At least not at the level you take Martial Study.

telehax

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2010, 01:11:29 AM »
He's talking about casting heroics while gaining your level-up skill points so that you can allocate them into things that aren't class skills.
Which, honestly, really depends on your DM and how he feels about non-permanant stuff being used during level-ups. Or how he abjucates levelling up in the first place.

Widow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2010, 02:35:49 AM »
He's talking about casting heroics while gaining your level-up skill points so that you can allocate them into things that aren't class skills.
Which, honestly, really depends on your DM and how he feels about non-permanant stuff being used during level-ups. Or how he abjucates levelling up in the first place.

Too bad heroics has a range of touch, a persistent version would make it much easier to level while the spell is up with 24 to 48 hour coverage.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 04:30:15 PM by Widow »

nijineko

• King Kong
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton...
« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2010, 01:09:27 AM »
chain of eyes or swarm of eyes are quite handy for intelligence gathering.
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2010, 02:02:59 PM »
Isn't it interesting how many of the "absolute must-have best spells" are right out of the PHB?  Makes you think.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2010, 03:01:24 PM »
Isn't it interesting how many of the "absolute must-have best spells" are right out of the PHB?  Makes you think.
That DMs who claim core is balanced and absolutely anything else is broken have their heads up their asses?

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2010, 04:10:53 PM »
Mystic Shield is a must-have for protection once you get 8th level spells. Immunity to 6th and lower level spells, and making all attacks against you non-magical is awesome.

Ice Shield is a VERY good defense at high levels, and impossible to ignore to the most part.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.