Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question 25: Welcome to DIE!  (Read 160376 times)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question 25: Welcome to DIE!
« Reply #420 on: June 09, 2011, 05:33:38 AM »
What was your player playing? I'm probably going to mock it.
A ghost assassin. I actually have his old copy here. He was an Evolved Ghost NE Human Rogue 5/Assassin 10 with 15 wishes placed on him.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
« Reply #421 on: June 09, 2011, 07:53:03 AM »
A ghost assassin. I actually have his old copy here. He was an Evolved Ghost NE Human Rogue 5/Assassin 10 with 15 wishes placed on him.
I can see that being slightly weaker than a concordant killer. Perhaps he wasn't using his ghost abilities to their fullest? I'm not seeing anything immediately "Wow" from the assassin class in terms of brawling ability.

But overall, a flavorful build that looks fun to play. Prediction to mock withdrawn.
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

Esgath

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #422 on: June 09, 2011, 10:23:39 AM »
Q 154: Does the feat "Cloudy Conjuration" offer a -2 penalty to the targets safe to the spell I cast? Or would the spell I cast in the next round be resisted with -2 to the saves? Or neither and I would have to cast a quickened spell in between, or whatever?

Q 155: Where is the difference between a 5 ft radius effect like Cloudy Conjuration, or a 10 ft square like Grease?

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #423 on: June 09, 2011, 10:41:44 AM »
There isn't one until you start doing things like applying widen spell metamagic or attempting to change its shape.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #424 on: June 09, 2011, 12:30:28 PM »
I can see that being slightly weaker than a concordant killer. Perhaps he wasn't using his ghost abilities to their fullest? I'm not seeing anything immediately "Wow" from the assassin class in terms of brawling ability.

But overall, a flavorful build that looks fun to play. Prediction to mock withdrawn.
He wasn't comparing it to himself but the others in the group (barbarian/frenzied berserker, ranger/rouge/assassin, fighter/champion of the wild ranger/horizon walker), and others that he's seen in other games. The ghost kept possessing people so that they could all coup-de-grace him.

He was probably comparing it to something like the Ghaele which is CR 13, 10 HD, and LA --, but in Savage Species is LA +10.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 12:34:38 PM by kevin_video »

Zebu

« Reply #425 on: June 09, 2011, 12:39:21 PM »
Bumpitty.

Q152 Do the auras of Vivacious (and other positive-energy-plane) creatures stack?  That is, if someone is standing near two Vivacious Goblins, does he regenerate two hp per round, or just one?  Does he have to save against "death by awesome" twice per round, or once?

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #426 on: June 09, 2011, 02:38:14 PM »
Q 156 What playable "spider" races are there? Base races, templates, etc.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #427 on: June 09, 2011, 05:55:48 PM »

Hairy Spider, Monsters of Faerun.  A spider the size of your hand, LA+0.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #428 on: June 09, 2011, 06:26:54 PM »
Q157:  So if a 12 headed Hydra (so +12 BAB) has Rapidstrike (Bite) and 12 Mouthpick weapons, how many attacks does it get on a full attack?
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

Zebu

« Reply #429 on: June 10, 2011, 12:21:38 AM »
Q158 When a Dusk Giant (or a munchkin sorcerer polymorphed into a Dusk Giant) gains new racial hit dice, do they gain new feats?  If so, what happens when those hit dice disappear?

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #430 on: June 10, 2011, 01:30:55 AM »
Q158 When a Dusk Giant (or a munchkin sorcerer polymorphed into a Dusk Giant) gains new racial hit dice, do they gain new feats?  If so, what happens when those hit dice disappear?
They gain the feat as normal. Then they lose the feat when they lose the hit dice.

TenaciousJ

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #431 on: June 10, 2011, 03:22:07 AM »
Q159 Can a character with Quick Draw change weapons on an opponent's turn? (i.e. bard changes from his crystal echoblade to his sudden stunning whip to provoke AoOs in a wider area)

Zebu

« Reply #432 on: June 10, 2011, 03:29:35 AM »
Q159 Can a character with Quick Draw change weapons on an opponent's turn? (i.e. bard changes from his crystal echoblade to his sudden stunning whip to provoke AoOs in a wider area)

Quote from: SRD Quick Draw
You can draw a weapon as a free action instead of as a move action. You can draw a hidden weapon (see the Sleight of Hand skill) as a move action.
Quote from: SRD Free Actions
Nope, free actions can only be performed on your turn.
However, if you're willing to drop your weapon (free action), you can then draw a new weapon (free action) at the very end of your turn.  You're kinda in trouble the next turn, though, with your sword on the ground.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #433 on: June 10, 2011, 03:30:21 AM »

Hairy Spider, Monsters of Faerun.  A spider the size of your hand, LA+0.
Anything else?

EDIT: I found Chitine from Underdark.

Q 160 If you play a Chitine, which has rogue as a favoured, and has +2 LA, what class would be best to take with a race that's got +2 Dex, +2 Con, +2 Int, and -4 Cha, that can handle losing 2 levels?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 03:52:14 AM by kevin_video »

Kobal

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #434 on: June 10, 2011, 05:56:15 AM »
Q?107: What are the best spells for a sorcerer to take arcane thesis for?(limit 3)

Wings of Flurry.  Accept no substitutes.

JaronK
Telekinesis.  Because wings of flurry is for chumps.
Please forgive my thread necromancy (or is it just question necromancy?), but I am in a nimilar, situation only with a wizard instead of a sorceror, which rules out Wings of Flurry.

Regarding Telekinesis, this does sound promising, but there are two problems I see:
1) I need a boulder exactly 375 lbs heavy for maximum effect, one for each cast. Well, maybe they are reuseable, but the problem still exists.
2) The roll is an attack roll, not a touch attack roll, which might make it a tad harder to connect.
What am I missing?

Now excluding Enervate and Orb of Fource/whatever, which are definitely great candidates, what other spell could you recommend?
Also, what would the recommended spell be if I would like to have one that does not require a ranged touch attack? Ideally not of the Evocation school.

Bonus question: What is the next best ray spell after Enervate, to get some use out of the Split Ray feat?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #435 on: June 10, 2011, 05:58:25 AM »

Please forgive my thread necromancy (or is it just question necromancy?), but I am in a nimilar, situation only with a wizard instead of a sorceror, which rules out Wings of Flurry.

Regarding Telekinesis, this does sound promising, but there are two problems I see:
1) I need a boulder exactly 375 lbs heavy for maximum effect, one for each cast. Well, maybe they are reuseable, but the problem still exists.
2) The roll is an attack roll, not a touch attack roll, which might make it a tad harder to connect.
What am I missing?

You're missing the part where you break out fifteen colossal sianghams (or colossal++ crossbow bolts) and fling them simultaneously.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 10:47:58 PM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Planetouched Handbook

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #436 on: June 10, 2011, 09:46:08 PM »
Bad tags, TheMadLinguist?

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #437 on: June 11, 2011, 02:50:52 AM »
Woodland Stride (Ex)

Starting at 2nd level, a druid may move through any sort of undergrowth (such as natural thorns, briars, overgrown areas, and similar terrain) at her normal speed and without taking damage or suffering any other impairment. However, thorns, briars, and overgrown areas that have been magically manipulated to impede motion still affect her.
The spell Plant Growth:
Plant Growth
Duration:    Instantaneous
Overgrowth

This effect causes normal vegetation (grasses, briars, bushes, creepers, thistles, trees, vines) within long range (400 feet + 40 feet per caster level) to become thick and overgrown. The plants entwine to form a thicket or jungle that creatures must hack or force a way through. Speed drops to 5 feet, or 10 feet for Large or larger creatures. The area must have brush and trees in it for this spell to take effect.

Q 161: Does woodland stride allow a druid to move unimpeded in an area that has been overgrown by plant growth?  Is the "magically manipulated" stipulation only referring to things like entangle?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #438 on: June 11, 2011, 02:10:44 PM »
A 161: Nope she can't it has been magically manipulated, no mention of how long ago it has been that it was manipulated.

Q162 I need an easy, reliable source of unlimited healing for a level 1 gestalt, no Dragon or BoVD/BoED. Any suggestions?

Edit: Q162b Alternatively, an abberration with less than 11HD that has regeneration as Ex can be used.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 02:16:04 PM by Mixster »
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #439 on: June 11, 2011, 02:28:18 PM »
Q162 I need an easy, reliable source of unlimited healing for a level 1 gestalt, no Dragon or BoVD/BoED. Any suggestions?
Poison healer + lots of ale
Lesser Mechantrix + shape soulmeld lightning gauntlet
Dread necromancer + tomb tainted soul
Planetouched Handbook