Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question 25: Welcome to DIE!  (Read 160367 times)

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
Re: Ask a Simple Question 25: Welcome to DIE!
« Reply #440 on: June 11, 2011, 02:29:36 PM »
Q 163: The Energy Vortex spell from the SpC states it deals 1d8+caster level damage, but "If you are willing to take the damage yourself, you deal twice as much damage."  How much damage are you taking, if you opt for that?  1d8+caster level, or 2*(1d8+caster level)?

163b: Dealing "twice as much damage" - is that 2*(1d8+caster level) or is is 2d8 + 2*(caster level)?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

sir_argenon

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #441 on: June 11, 2011, 03:53:28 PM »
Q164: im wanting to make a scourge of the land evil druid thats like a blighter, but without the suck.  what spells/abilities can you recommend?

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #442 on: June 11, 2011, 04:08:33 PM »
Q164: im wanting to make a scourge of the land evil druid thats like a blighter, but without the suck.  what spells/abilities can you recommend?
A 164: Take a look at the Tolontar Blightlord prestige class in Unapproachable east.  It does lose two caster levels (at level 4 and 8? I think) but I always liked it better for the concept.

Q 165:  If I am a druid who has wildshaped into a Wolverine, and I get hit for damage, do the Wolverine's rage ability prevent me from casting spells?

Q 166:  An animal is under the effects of a Haste spell.  Does it get an extra natural weapon attack (be it bite, claw, whatever)?  Note that Haste says "When making a full attack action, a hasted creature may make one extra attack with any weapon he is holding."

If the answer is no, could a wildshaped druid under the same circumstances use the extra granted attack to touch with a touch spell, and then proceed with a normal full attack (claw, claw, bite)?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 05:22:34 PM by ksbsnowowl »
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #443 on: June 11, 2011, 06:08:21 PM »
Woodland Stride (Ex)

Starting at 2nd level, a druid may move through any sort of undergrowth (such as natural thorns, briars, overgrown areas, and similar terrain) at her normal speed and without taking damage or suffering any other impairment. However, thorns, briars, and overgrown areas that have been magically manipulated to impede motion still affect her.
The spell Plant Growth:
Plant Growth
Duration:    Instantaneous
Overgrowth

This effect causes normal vegetation (grasses, briars, bushes, creepers, thistles, trees, vines) within long range (400 feet + 40 feet per caster level) to become thick and overgrown. The plants entwine to form a thicket or jungle that creatures must hack or force a way through. Speed drops to 5 feet, or 10 feet for Large or larger creatures. The area must have brush and trees in it for this spell to take effect.

Q 161: Does woodland stride allow a druid to move unimpeded in an area that has been overgrown by plant growth?  Is the "magically manipulated" stipulation only referring to things like entangle?
Yes, since Plant Growth is no longer magical when you'd be moving through it.  Then it's just really dense flora.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #444 on: June 11, 2011, 06:12:17 PM »
Woodland Stride (Ex)

Starting at 2nd level, a druid may move through any sort of undergrowth (such as natural thorns, briars, overgrown areas, and similar terrain) at her normal speed and without taking damage or suffering any other impairment. However, thorns, briars, and overgrown areas that have been magically manipulated to impede motion still affect her.
The spell Plant Growth:
Plant Growth
Overgrowth

This effect causes normal vegetation (grasses, briars, bushes, creepers, thistles, trees, vines) within long range (400 feet + 40 feet per caster level) to become thick and overgrown. The plants entwine to form a thicket or jungle that creatures must hack or force a way through. Speed drops to 5 feet, or 10 feet for Large or larger creatures. The area must have brush and trees in it for this spell to take effect.

Q 161: Does woodland stride allow a druid to move unimpeded in an area that has been overgrown by plant growth?  Is the "magically manipulated" stipulation only referring to things like entangle?
Yes, since Plant Growth is no longer magical when you'd be moving through it.  Then it's just really dense flora.

Arguably it has still been magically manipulated

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #445 on: June 11, 2011, 06:43:14 PM »
Woodland Stride (Ex)

The spell Plant Growth:
Plant Growth
Overgrowth

True, but not to impair movement.  It was magically manipulated to grow in size.  Its new size is what inhibits movement, not any magical influence.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

By yes, she means no.
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #446 on: June 11, 2011, 06:53:04 PM »
Woodland Stride (Ex)

The spell Plant Growth:
Plant Growth
Overgrowth

True, but not to impair movement.  It was magically manipulated to grow in size.  Its new size is what inhibits movement, not any magical influence.

It is likley the caster used plant growth specifically to impair movement, there is little combat use for the spell otherwise... (or "magically manipulated to impair motion" if you like).

It arguably doesn't work because of two things:
It was magically manipulated (a spell caused it to grow)
It impedes movement.

That said I dont really feel all that strongly on either answer, I just like playing devil's advocate.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #447 on: June 11, 2011, 08:24:24 PM »
Q167: Are there any feats or items that boost the value of Wild Surge?

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

Rejakor

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #448 on: June 11, 2011, 09:00:07 PM »
Q164: im wanting to make a scourge of the land evil druid thats like a blighter, but without the suck.  what spells/abilities can you recommend?

Most of the school of Evocation, for a start.  For a second, Junglerazer, from SpC, specifically kills an area of plants and plant-creatures.  I'd recommend branching out into necromancy for undead animals (maybe add the proviso 'only on animals'), and the nature's ally line, but renamed to 'nature's enemy' and summon regular SNA animals but with the fiendish template.  Fire seeds et al are still great blighter spells.  Still some of the good druid stuff that isn't all forest-lovey like Stormrage.

As for abilities... should be able to hide inside plants and teleport through plants, but it kills the plants in both cases... wide area desecration and slow plant death... get +CL and +save DC when surrounded by dead plants or ash... change your animal companion into fiendish or undead but still advance it as normal... wildshape into demons, maybe?... poison use and poison spittle.. excrete poison on skin... dominate/charm animal... something to do with sacrificing druids/animals/fey and gaining power... /shrug

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
« Reply #449 on: June 12, 2011, 05:31:57 AM »
Q168: There is a spell somewhere that gives you mundane history of objects you touch, like how they were handled and such. You could use it on coins to determine who the last person that touched it and stuff like that, before moving on to the next coin (or whatever), all in one casting. What is this spell called, and where is it located?
BG's other resident furry!

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #450 on: June 12, 2011, 06:27:27 AM »
Q168: There is a spell somewhere that gives you mundane history of objects you touch, like how they were handled and such. You could use it on coins to determine who the last person that touched it and stuff like that, before moving on to the next coin (or whatever), all in one casting. What is this spell called, and where is it located?

There's a Psionic Power and a Magic Item that does this. Gloves of Object Reading (MiC) is the only name I can give you, but the Power is in the SRD.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #451 on: June 12, 2011, 08:50:06 AM »

There's a Psionic Power and a Magic Item that does this. Gloves of Object Reading (MiC) is the only name I can give you, but the Power is in the SRD.
Amusingly enough, Object Reading.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

something random

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #452 on: June 12, 2011, 05:02:39 PM »
Q169: Does the prestige class arcane scholar of candlekeep from nwn2 feature in any DnD book and if so which one?
Am I the only one who's mind was broken when they realized the implication of the existence of the aberration bloodline.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #453 on: June 12, 2011, 05:09:55 PM »
Q169: Does the prestige class arcane scholar of candlekeep from nwn2 feature in any DnD book and if so which one?
Not that I can find, but the manual for it specifically states what you get at each level, although I am curious as to what you could exchange for the skill Lore. It looks like 4, 6, and 9 are the only levels that don't get anything other than increased spellcasting.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #454 on: June 12, 2011, 06:26:32 PM »
Q 170 What would be the point behind the Smell of Fear (SpC) ranger spell, other than maybe grinding for levels? Rangers don't usually have a very high WIS score, and only count as half a caster, so having the spell need both a Will save AND SR, seems kind of pointless. It's possible that a ranger might cast it on someone so that their animal companion can gain bonuses (assuming it's a predator), or maybe on a villain who's been destroying the forest, but it seems more like a spell that a druid would use, and yet it's not on their spell list.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #455 on: June 12, 2011, 11:20:10 PM »
Q 170 What would be the point behind the Smell of Fear (SpC) ranger spell, other than maybe grinding for levels? Rangers don't usually have a very high WIS score, and only count as half a caster, so having the spell need both a Will save AND SR, seems kind of pointless. It's possible that a ranger might cast it on someone so that their animal companion can gain bonuses (assuming it's a predator), or maybe on a villain who's been destroying the forest, but it seems more like a spell that a druid would use, and yet it's not on their spell list.

WotC doesn't know how to make spells worth shit.

Q171: Aside from the PHB, DMG, and Races of Stone, what sources are there for Armor, Shields, add-ons (not enhancements) for armor and shields, and special material that can be used on armor or shields? Alternatively, if someone still has the Crystal Keep Equipment PDF, that would cover most of my needs.

I can find the enhancements just fine though.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #456 on: June 13, 2011, 12:15:41 AM »
Arms and Equipment has new armors and materials, and Magic of Faerun have new materials

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #457 on: June 13, 2011, 01:54:59 AM »
Q171: Aside from the PHB, DMG, and Races of Stone, what sources are there for Armor, Shields, add-ons (not enhancements) for armor and shields, and special material that can be used on armor or shields? Alternatively, if someone still has the Crystal Keep Equipment PDF, that would cover most of my needs.
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19569550/Special_Materials_Index
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Mnemnosyne

• Noob
« Reply #458 on: June 13, 2011, 10:40:43 AM »
Q172: Is there any spell or magical item that allows the user to determine how many levels a creature has?  Or simply whether they are at least level 2 or higher?  The intention is to determine whether they can take at least one negative level without dying, ideally without their knowing.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #459 on: June 13, 2011, 11:02:51 AM »
Q 165:  If I am a druid who has wildshaped into a Wolverine, and I get hit for damage, does the Wolverine's rage ability prevent me from casting spells?

Q 166:  An animal is under the effects of a Haste spell.  Does it get an extra natural weapon attack (be it bite, claw, whatever)?  Note that Haste says "When making a full attack action, a hasted creature may make one extra attack with any weapon he is holding."

If the answer is no, could a wildshaped druid under the same circumstances use the extra granted attack to touch with a touch spell, and then proceed with a normal full attack (claw, claw, bite)?
Need to know these for a game I'm running tonight, thanks.