Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question: Singing Tesla Coil Edition  (Read 115871 times)

Felix Underwood

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Re: Ask a Simple Question: Singing Tesla Coil Edition
« Reply #360 on: July 16, 2010, 10:33:17 AM »
I don't see why it should be more expensive, no. I'd leave it as is. But my question would be, what would it even be? Head? Face? Shoulders? Vest? Yes it says cloak, but for what it does, is there really a slot dedicated to an item like that?
 The equations for estimating market value is just a starting point... just an estimate.  The last paragraph on page 282 of the DMG sums up pricing magic items.  I won't retype the whole thing, but it's all a judgement call by the DM.  The item should be as expensive as it is worth... If you were a vampire, how much would you be willing to pay for something like this?

When adjudicating the cost for custom items with my players, I advise that a price that sounds too good to be true... is too good.  When a price is high enough that it makes you really have to weigh the pros and cons, it's probably in the right ball park.

One of the other guidelines from that DMG paragraph is to use existing items to guage the market value of a new item.

From Libris Mortis, page 78:  Goggles of Day (4,500gp)  "A bonus side effect allows vampires a full-round action prior to dissolution when confronted with sunlight, as opposed to just a partial action."

Ok, granted, this is a side-effect.  For a vampire though, that's the main selling point.  I'd pay ten times that for full immunity.

(The_Mad_Linguist, I think these are the droids you were looking for)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #361 on: July 16, 2010, 10:37:58 AM »
I don't see why it should be more expensive, no. I'd leave it as is. But my question would be, what would it even be? Head? Face? Shoulders? Vest? Yes it says cloak, but for what it does, is there really a slot dedicated to an item like that?
 The equations for estimating market value is just a starting point... just an estimate.  The last paragraph on page 282 of the DMG sums up pricing magic items.  I won't retype the whole thing, but it's all a judgement call by the DM.  The item should be as expensive as it is worth... If you were a vampire, how much would you be willing to pay for something like this?

When adjudicating the cost for custom items with my players, I advise that a price that sounds too good to be true... is too good.  When a price is high enough that it makes you really have to weigh the pros and cons, it's probably in the right ball park.

One of the other guidelines from that DMG paragraph is to use existing items to guage the market value of a new item.

From Libris Mortis, page 78:  Goggles of Day (4,500gp)  "A bonus side effect allows vampires a full-round action prior to dissolution when confronted with sunlight, as opposed to just a partial action."

Ok, granted, this is a side-effect.  For a vampire though, that's the main selling point.  I'd pay ten times that for full immunity.

(The_Mad_Linguist, I think these are the droids you were looking for)
I don't know. That still seems unfair when you think about it. Say you've got four PCs (an elf, and three humans), and one of the humans is unfortunately is becoming a vampire. For the others, that cloak means nothing to them. So you could sell them that item for 4k. However, they must promise to not give it to the person turning into a vampire. The soon-to-be vamp though, well, we'll charge that PC 8k just because you know they need it or they'll burst into flames in a few days. Doesn't quite seem fair.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #362 on: July 16, 2010, 10:39:51 AM »
I wouldn't pay for it, period.  If I weren't a vampire, I wouldn't care to have it, and if I were a vampire, I'd employ my limitless spawn chain to take the item by skullduggery or force... assuming there's some reason I don't just personally kill you for it right now.  This is why you don't have vampire PCs, btw.

Besides, creation cost is based on market price, disconnecting the two because you want to dick over your PCs just creates extra paperwork for no good reason.  A simpler, and more plausible way to handle it, would be to leave the market price and creation costs as they should be, and then have the seller mark the price up IF he knows the buyer is desperate, and he thinks he can safely do so (in a position of power, or convinced he is, anyway).  Under any other circumstances, it should probably be pretty cheap... limited-use items like that, no matter how nifty they are to a very small subset of the population, are in very low demand and thus hard to sell.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #363 on: July 16, 2010, 11:46:42 AM »
If I were a vampire, i'd just make enough liquid night to last me the daytime hours, or heavily cloak and wrap myself. If it costs more than what 50 of what the same all day duration of the alchemical item cost, I wouldn't pay for it, no matter what, because that would last me about a week at market price, and much much longer if I made it myself. And clothing is massively cheaper than even that. The 4k market price is about right for that item.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #364 on: July 16, 2010, 11:50:26 AM »
The equations for estimating market value is just a starting point... just an estimate.  The last paragraph on page 282 of the DMG sums up pricing magic items.  I won't retype the whole thing, but it's all a judgement call by the DM.  The item should be as expensive as it is worth... If you were a vampire, how much would you be willing to pay for something like this?
I wouldn't pay for it, period.  If I weren't a vampire, I wouldn't care to have it, and if I were a vampire, I'd employ my limitless spawn chain to take the item by skullduggery or force... assuming there's some reason I don't just personally kill you for it right now.  This is why you don't have vampire PCs, btw.

Besides, creation cost is based on market price, disconnecting the two because you want to dick over your PCs just creates extra paperwork for no good reason.  A simpler, and more plausible way to handle it, would be to leave the market price and creation costs as they should be, and then have the seller mark the price up IF he knows the buyer is desperate, and he thinks he can safely do so (in a position of power, or convinced he is, anyway).  Under any other circumstances, it should probably be pretty cheap... limited-use items like that, no matter how nifty they are to a very small subset of the population, are in very low demand and thus hard to sell.
If I were a vampire, i'd just make enough liquid night to last me the daytime hours, or heavily cloak and wrap myself. If it costs more than what 50 of what the same all day duration of the alchemical item cost, I wouldn't pay for it, no matter what, because that would last me about a week at market price, and much much longer if I made it myself. And clothing is massively cheaper than even that. The 4k market price is about right for that item.
If I were a Vampire, I'd make sure I didn't sparkle like some rape-fantasy inspired whiny emo git :P
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Felix Underwood

« Reply #365 on: July 16, 2010, 12:01:18 PM »
I'll agree to disagree, but I fear that I'm not explaining myself well enough.

Market Value is game mechanics.  Just because because a very small population can benefit from an item, I am not comfortable with making it easier to make (btw, I hate the market value modifiers for alignment or race restrictions too).  Making an item should cost as much as game balance allows.

That being said, how much any NPC will pay for it is entirely up to the DM.  Sure for most standard things, usable by anyone, it's easier to stick with the 50% of market value guideline.  I'm far too lazy at the moment to search, but I'm certain that there is flavor text about adjusting the price of goods due to limited availability.

Oh well, that's just my opinion.  I won't argue it further.  I pray I was clear enough in my intention.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #366 on: July 16, 2010, 12:03:08 PM »
Q104: Does the Hit-and-Run Tactics Fighter (DotU) lose Medium Armor Proficiency as well as Heavy Armor Proficiency, or does he keep Medium Armor Proficiency?

AFB right now, so can't check.

Thanks,
~Bowen
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #367 on: July 16, 2010, 12:05:26 PM »
Q104: Does the Hit-and-Run Tactics Fighter (DotU) lose Medium Armor Proficiency as well as Heavy Armor Proficiency, or does he keep Medium Armor Proficiency?

Thanks,
~Bowen
A 104

You give up Heavy Armor Prioficiency and Tower Shield Proficiency. Medium Armor Proficiency is retained.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Felix Underwood

« Reply #368 on: July 16, 2010, 12:12:23 PM »
About the DR/epic and bane... also add in Magebane.

At such a high level, if it's worth fighting, it probably has arcane spells or some spell-like ability.  :D

Q 80. What are the best Spells for dealing with Vampires/Necropolitans? The vamp is a rog and the necropolitan is a dread necromancer. Im looking for some sort of disabling spells, somthing not just pure damage based.
A80.  I like Forcecage after it's been forced to gasseous form from damage... If I can't get back to its coffin in 2 hours, it's toast.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #369 on: July 16, 2010, 12:22:47 PM »

Thanks,
~Bowen
A 104

You give up Heavy Armor Prioficiency and Tower Shield Proficiency. Medium Armor Proficiency is retained.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #370 on: July 16, 2010, 12:23:27 PM »
About the DR/epic and bane... also add in Magebane.

At such a high level, if it has DR/Epic, it probably has arcane spells or some spell-like ability.  :D

Q 80. What are the best Spells for dealing with Vampires/Necropolitans? The vamp is a rog and the necropolitan is a dread necromancer. Im looking for some sort of disabling spells, somthing not just pure damage based.
A80.  I like Forcecage after it's been forced to gasseous form from damage... If I can't get back to its coffin in 2 hours, it's toast.
ftfy
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #371 on: July 16, 2010, 01:02:21 PM »
Q 105: Do Draegloth count as Drow for qualification of feats and PrC's?  If so, where is this stated?

Q 106: If a Draegloth were to wield a weapon in his 'small' arms, and attack with his claws on his 'large' arms, he could do so getting, for example, Battleaxe +6/+1 and 2 Claws +1 and Bite +1, right?

Q 106b: Even though a Draegloth is large-sized, the smaller arms are closer to 'medium' sized.  Would a Draegloth using the above attack routine still wield a Large battleaxe?  I imagine yes, as centaurs also use large weapons, when their torso is, at least in theory, the same size as a human torso.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 01:08:22 PM by ksbsnowowl »
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Black Knight

« Reply #372 on: July 16, 2010, 01:29:29 PM »
Q 100: What's a good way to increase the threat range of a two handed blugoning weapon?
Improved Crit, or that bludgeoning version of Keen in the MIC. Impact? Something like that.

What are you looking for specifically?
I want to turn a minotaur war hammer (MM IV 101) more crit happy.

AEG's Elite Weapon Mastery boosts the crit multipler by 1.
If you are an ethical person, you do the right thing even when no one is watching...

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #373 on: July 16, 2010, 01:43:05 PM »
Q107: Aside from dead Ioun Stones, are there items that grant Power Points to the user?  If there's a handy list I just missed, a link would be greatly appreciated.
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #374 on: July 16, 2010, 01:47:23 PM »
A 100: (Psychic) Weapon Master.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #375 on: July 16, 2010, 01:54:14 PM »
Q107: Aside from dead Ioun Stones, are there items that grant Power Points to the user?  If there's a handy list I just missed, a link would be greatly appreciated.
A 107

A Manifester weapon gives you five power points (though you can't use them in conjunction with pp from other sources, IIRC). Use Manifester arrows for ideal results.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #376 on: July 16, 2010, 01:56:15 PM »

Frankly, the better approach is Kaorti Resin abuse.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #377 on: July 16, 2010, 02:09:08 PM »

Frankly, the better approach is Kaorti Resin abuse.
Kaorti Resin only applies to Slashing or Piercing weapons

:D

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #378 on: July 16, 2010, 02:11:08 PM »
A107 additional

Rainbow Ioun stones ... Provides 5 power points per day (regenerates): Treat as a cognizance crystal in ioun stone form, except that it regenerates its stored power points each day; Price 16,000 gp.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #379 on: July 16, 2010, 05:59:39 PM »
Kaorti Resin only applies to Slashing or Piercing weapons

Sorry, I should have clarified.  Yes it does, it also gives X4 multiplier that the greathammer already has.  I mean for abusing critical hits one makes a keen slashing weapon out of kaorti resin and walks around with a 15-20x4 weapon before class features.  I like Jovar from Planar Handbook personally for its 2d6 base damage.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286