Author Topic: Skies of Arcadia Recruiting and OOC  (Read 200179 times)

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
Re: Skies of Arcadia Recruiting and OOC
« Reply #940 on: September 10, 2008, 06:41:42 PM »
Lands of Ice players, would you rather have me be a chaos monk//barbarian/fist of the forest/deepwarden raging tank, or a blue mage//something secondary caster?
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #941 on: September 10, 2008, 06:43:12 PM »
Caster, probably. We can win via massed firepower rather than endurance...! :D

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #942 on: September 10, 2008, 06:55:28 PM »
Caster, probably. We can win via massed firepower rather than endurance...! :D

"Peace through superior firepower..."

"...There aren't any peices left..."

[spoiler][/spoiler]

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #943 on: September 10, 2008, 08:05:09 PM »
Yep. Anyway, I think I am going to be running either this one:

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=80534

It will be going into Dweomerkeeper

or a Phrenic (Beguiler//Sorcerer)/Wizard going into Ultimate Magus using Faerie Mysteries Initiate to get Int to hp and tossing Con, Wis and Str to the gutter.

So, guys, if you have any preferrences, let me know now or forever hold your peace :)

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #944 on: September 10, 2008, 08:19:39 PM »
Yep. Anyway, I think I am going to be running either this one:

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=80534

It will be going into Dweomerkeeper

or a Phrenic (Beguiler//Sorcerer)/Wizard going into Ultimate Magus using Faerie Mysteries Initiate to get Int to hp and tossing Con, Wis and Str to the gutter.

So, guys, if you have any preferrences, let me know now or forever hold your peace :)

Hmmmmmm, do you have a preference while I think about it?
Notes to self

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #945 on: September 10, 2008, 08:38:45 PM »
I am 50-50.

I like the Feral thing because the its defences are pretty danged good. High Fort/Will saves, high AC, as much hp as a normal 3rd level sorcerer or wizard.

I like the Phrenic one because it has skill points. Lots and lots of skill points. Plus triple caster. And PR/SR. Defenses suck big donkeys, though (well, relative to Mr Feral up there).

All-in-all, I would very much like to play a Winged Dragonheart Mage. If only because I like the concept of a flying Kobold with wings and a breath weapon :D But I have been warned by Sinfire that that would be Certain Death(tm) :(

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #946 on: September 10, 2008, 08:47:11 PM »
Hmmmmmm, well, it depends.  If you go the first build will you be going with DMM?  Defenses are nice, I'll give it that.

As for the second, if you go that way you'd definetely be the primary spellcaster, and as such would we need me as a secondary arcane? 

If you go the first build, I'd definetely end up going blue mage and be secondary caster, especially since Blue Mages can learn divine spells, though they still cast them as arcane.  If you go the second build I'd end up being primary divine and not sure what I'd do.

Both builds have their merits.
Notes to self

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #947 on: September 10, 2008, 09:00:56 PM »
That is why I am having such a hard time deciding :P

With the Dweomerkeeper, I haven't thought about going DMM anything, to be honest. DMM Quicken would be nice if I can apply it to Sorcerer without the whole extended casting time thing. DMM Persist, IMO, is really for melee characters, and I don't see a kobold being a melee guy...

We can never have too many arcane casters... :D

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #948 on: September 10, 2008, 09:02:46 PM »
That is why I am having such a hard time deciding :P

With the Dweomerkeeper, I haven't thought about going DMM anything, to be honest. DMM Quicken would be nice if I can apply it to Sorcerer without the whole extended casting time thing. DMM Persist, IMO, is really for melee characters, and I don't see a kobold being a melee guy...

We can never have too many arcane casters... :D

It would make me happier to have a divine caster in the group.   :P

But yeah, if you go arcane/divine I'll go Blue Mage as a second arcane caster.  Otherwise I'll go divine//something or another.
Notes to self

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #949 on: September 10, 2008, 09:20:40 PM »
I'll draw up the Phrenic guy and see how it stacks up. We can decide then?

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #950 on: September 10, 2008, 09:23:12 PM »
I'll draw up the Phrenic guy and see how it stacks up. We can decide then?

Sounds like a plan.
Notes to self

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #951 on: September 10, 2008, 09:40:36 PM »
Phrenic guy:

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=80746

The Sorcerer's spell list may change. I am AFB right now, so I don't know what the Beguiler has. Equipment may also change cause I think the Beguiler has Mage Armour. Not sure what to do with the extra 1250 gp in that case.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #952 on: September 10, 2008, 09:49:58 PM »
I am 50-50.

I like the Feral thing because the its defences are pretty danged good. High Fort/Will saves, high AC, as much hp as a normal 3rd level sorcerer or wizard.

I like the Phrenic one because it has skill points. Lots and lots of skill points. Plus triple caster. And PR/SR. Defenses suck big donkeys, though (well, relative to Mr Feral up there).

All-in-all, I would very much like to play a Winged Dragonheart Mage. If only because I like the concept of a flying Kobold with wings and a breath weapon :D But I have been warned by Sinfire that that would be Certain Death(tm) :(

No, I said that Infinite Breath Weapons trick would get the axe. IE: one of the feats in Dragonlance Campaign Setting allows you to use your Breath Weapon as a Free Action, and DFAs have no recharge time on their breath weapons. Combine the two, and by RAW you have a gattling gun that shoots fire. I can deal with DFAs normally, but that just gets outright ridiculous.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #953 on: September 10, 2008, 09:53:39 PM »
I am 50-50.

No, I said that Infinite Breath Weapons trick would get the axe. IE: one of the feats in Dragonlance Campaign Setting allows you to use your Breath Weapon as a Free Action, and DFAs have no recharge time on their breath weapons. Combine the two, and by RAW you have a gattling gun that shoots fire. I can deal with DFAs normally, but that just gets outright ridiculous.

He never said anything about DFA or infinite breath weapons.  He'd be getting the breath weapon from Dragonheart Mage which requires you to sack spell slots.
Notes to self

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #954 on: September 10, 2008, 10:02:32 PM »
I am 50-50.

He never said anything about DFA or infinite breath weapons.  He'd be getting the breath weapon from Dragonheart Mage which requires you to sack spell slots.

That I have absolutely no problem with (until Twin Spell+Echo Spell gets involved).

[spoiler][/spoiler]

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #955 on: September 10, 2008, 10:03:11 PM »
I only have so many spell slots, Sinfire. No you said it would die due to uselessness in combat or something like that. A couple of pages back.

I try not to do broken combos.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #956 on: September 10, 2008, 10:08:59 PM »
That I have absolutely no problem with (until Twin Spell+Echo Spell gets involved).
Even with unlimited spell slots sacced to the Breath weapon, do you think 3d6/spell level sac'd once per round is all that grave a threat, Sinfire? That is at level 10 DHM :)

If I go Twin Spell + Echo, I think you should be more worried about other things rather than the DHM's main schtick  :smirk

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #957 on: September 10, 2008, 10:11:25 PM »
Sinfire: Which would be an appropriate power level for the LoI campaign?

Fun build or Power build?

Fun:
Druid//Sorcerer / Dragonheart Mage

Power:
Druid//Sorcerer / caster 1/MT4/AH10/MT+2

The triple-threat would save your ass better in the later levels. The first one would be a bit on the dead side of the fight, to put it bluntly. Endure Elements alone won't save you from the Lands of Ice.

Here's what Sin said about it.
Notes to self

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #958 on: September 10, 2008, 10:13:12 PM »
Even with unlimited spell slots sacced to the Breath weapon, do you think 3d6/spell level sac'd once per round is all that grave a threat, Sinfire? That is at level 10 DHM :)

If I go Twin Spell + Echo, I think you should be more worried about other things rather than the DHM's main schtick  :smirk

True. Infintly expanding spell slots is still a bad idea to even touch though. Hell Echo Spell alone is too broken to allow (trust me on this one). With all of the metamagic tricksters we have here, I'd have to be high to allow the feat.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #959 on: September 10, 2008, 10:18:37 PM »
Ok. One more thing that I just considered:

You said that spellcasting is considered 1 class feature, which is why you have an issue with dual caster progression without a third caster thing thrown in. If that is the case, would:

1. the casting be triggered off only one stat for, say, in the case of a Druid//Sorcerer?
2. again in the case of the Druid//Sorcerer, does that mean the guy can cast in armour with no problems (well, barring Druid swearings)?