Author Topic: Skies of Arcadia Recruiting and OOC  (Read 200179 times)

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
Re: Skies of Arcadia Recruiting and OOC
« Reply #620 on: August 06, 2008, 10:29:37 PM »
I don't mean within the confines of this game. That question was more broadly based. Strictly speaking, does it work the way I described?

EDIT: However, for the purposes of this game, I am considering a pair of Dvati, possibly Barbarians to alleviate the obvious health issue, though the limited number of rages per day could definitely be an issue. Still, the ability is a little confusing at the same time because the twins share ability scores (as implied by the section on their hit points, which refers to a "1st-level dvati fighter with a 13 constitution" and then determines that both twins have equal hit point totals), so it would seem that it affects both of them anyway.

Also, I'm curious as to how maneuvers work with them: I understand they share the same maneuvers readied pool, but do they both simultaneously use maneuvers when initiated? I don't believe they do (instead figuring that, like other physical actions, they act independently), but I figure it bears asking. And as far as maneuvers go, do they share stances? Can they be in different stances? I assume boosts only affect the Dvati that used it (unless they simultaneously use maneuvers, as inquired about previously).

And, finally, does damage stored in the Delayed Damage Pool of a Crusader affect both hit point totals or only the one for the twin struck by the delayed attack? I believe it only affects one based on this line (and lack of opposing evidence): "In most cases, an effect that applies to one twin fails to spill over to the other." [Two specific exceptions are given in the text; one immediately in this section, one previously.]

Obviously Crusaders would make unusual Dvati, since they tend to strive for neutrality (as a collective racial trait), but PCs tend to be the unusual ones anyway, and it shouldn't be much of a stretch since Dvati adventurers are rare enough as it is, so any Dvati twins adventuring are likely already fairly divergent from the rest of their culture.

That answer varies based ion the interpretation of the DM reading the two effects.

The pair of Dvati can initiate a maneuver separatly, but it works the same way as spellcasting does for them. They can, however, be in separate stances.

Dvati Crusaders would be very potent, as their damage pools are separate (the bonuses too) seeing as they have their own HP pools.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #621 on: August 06, 2008, 10:39:41 PM »
EDIT: However, for the purposes of this game, I am considering a pair of Dvati, possibly Barbarians to alleviate the obvious health issue, though the limited number of rages per day could definitely be an issue. Still, the ability is a little confusing at the same time because the twins share ability scores (as implied by the section on their hit points, which refers to a "1st-level dvati fighter with a 13 constitution" and then determines that both twins have equal hit point totals), so it would seem that it affects both of them anyway.

Quoted for reiteration.
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #622 on: August 07, 2008, 06:30:59 PM »

Quoted for reiteration.

Barbarian/Crusader for immortality? Stone Dragon likes Rage. And I'd rule that entering Rage affects both twins, so one use for twin rages. That way you aren't getting too much of a short stick.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #623 on: August 07, 2008, 06:46:53 PM »
Actually, I've decided not to go Crusader since there's no real benefit (since they must both spend an action for one of them to use a maneuver, as casting, meaning the other just sits there, being vulnerable).

Barbarian is there for survivability, however, since their hit points are abysmal without a high constitution.
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #624 on: August 07, 2008, 06:50:59 PM »
Archer barbarian+crusader?  Hey, you can even try out a battlefield control archer (use Arrow Mind to gain a threatened area, or the stance from the Falling Star path...see handy haversack...and Stand Still: it's not restricted to melee attacks).  One of the twins then goes melee and pound the enemies into oblivion while the archer keeps them in one spot.  Could be evil.

Also, SiFir, check out the homebrew forum.  We are working on fixing up the system for Avatar, so hopefully it can be nice instead of what it is now by the time we start.  Water is mostly done, it's just touch ups that need attention.  Earth will soon follow, then fire/air, but those aren't important.
My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

AlienFromBeyond

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #625 on: August 07, 2008, 06:59:56 PM »
I just noticed that while the Rift Magi gets a bonus Moon Magic feat it also doesn't have a way to keep it from losing it due to its spellcasting unlike Moon Magus, or to prevent losing previous ones taken to enter the class.

Also, can we take Dragonmark feats/prestige classes? Maybe some reflavoring to Lunarmarks or something? I was thinking about doing something like Storm Sentry (Dragonmarked) 1/Rift Magi 9 with Blue Moon feats for some awesome air/storm flavor, and would give a caster-type to the Mid-Ocean group. Sea Witch is cool, but would talk a fair amount of work to make it sensible in this campaign. Thoughts/criticisms/high-fives?

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #626 on: August 07, 2008, 07:04:52 PM »
I just noticed that while the Rift Magi gets a bonus Moon Magic feat it also doesn't have a way to keep it from losing it due to its spellcasting unlike Moon Magus, or to prevent losing previous ones taken to enter the class.

Also, can we take Dragonmark feats/prestige classes? Maybe some reflavoring to Lunarmarks or something? I was thinking about doing something like Storm Sentry (Dragonmarked) 1/Rift Magi 9 with Blue Moon feats for some awesome air/storm flavor, and would give a caster-type to the Mid-Ocean group. Sea Witch is cool, but would talk a fair amount of work to make it sensible in this campaign. Thoughts/criticisms/high-fives?

I need to edit the Rift Magi to include that. Otherwise they select Fighter feats by default.

Dragonmarks are allowed, as they are not location-specific (just racial).

[spoiler][/spoiler]

AlienFromBeyond

« Reply #627 on: August 07, 2008, 07:12:56 PM »

I need to edit the Rift Magi to include that. Otherwise they select Fighter feats by default.

Awesome, thanks.

But ew, that means I have to be a Half-Elf (never really read up on Dragonmarks until now). And I can't even be a Dragonborn Half-Elf.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #628 on: August 07, 2008, 07:21:58 PM »

Awesome, thanks.

But ew, that means I have to be a Half-Elf (never really read up on Dragonmarks until now). And I can't even be a Dragonborn Half-Elf.

Dragonborn still count as a member of the previous race, and still qualify for feats/PrCs as both.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

AlienFromBeyond

« Reply #629 on: August 07, 2008, 07:31:36 PM »

Awesome, thanks.

Dragonborn still count as a member of the previous race, and still qualify for feats/PrCs as both.
The problem is that in the Dragonborn in Eberron bit it says that Dragonborn lose any Dragonmarks they had.

EDIT: I totally forgot about this bit for Moon Magic feats "Any prestige class that grants spellcasting does not count against [the no spellcasting] requirement". You can take Moon Magic feats from different moons right? I don't see a location-requirement on them...
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 07:55:05 PM by AlienFromBeyond »

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #630 on: August 07, 2008, 07:52:35 PM »

Awesome, thanks.

The problem is that in the Dragonborn in Eberron bit it says that Dragonborn lose any Dragonmarks they had.

What section does it say that in? RotD, or an Eberron book?

Edit: Moon Magic feats only have the listed requirements. Its the Domains that have regional ones.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 07:55:41 PM by Sinfire Titan »

[spoiler][/spoiler]

AlienFromBeyond

« Reply #631 on: August 07, 2008, 07:56:31 PM »
That's it, I am ending this quote pyramid!

It's in Races of the Dragon, at the bottom of page 20.

Btw, anyone know of a variant bard that doesn't get spellcasting? I was thinking about doing a build like Bard//Something 5/Stormsinger 5/Storm Sentry 1/Rift Magi 9, but Bard is getting in the way of getting (Blue/Yellow) Moon Magic feats.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #632 on: August 07, 2008, 07:59:41 PM »
Prestige Bard, minus the spellcasting requirements (or adapting it to allow SLA entry) and dropping the Spellcasting advancement it grants.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

AlienFromBeyond

« Reply #633 on: August 07, 2008, 08:01:59 PM »
Prestige Bard, minus the spellcasting requirements (or adapting it to allow SLA entry) and dropping the Spellcasting advancement it grants.
Requires 5th level, which means I lose out on the 5th level of Stormsinger that lets me use Control Winds with Bardic Music.

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #634 on: August 07, 2008, 08:13:28 PM »
Archer barbarian+crusader?  Hey, you can even try out a battlefield control archer (use Arrow Mind to gain a threatened area, or the stance from the Falling Star path...see handy haversack...and Stand Still: it's not restricted to melee attacks).  One of the twins then goes melee and pound the enemies into oblivion while the archer keeps them in one spot.  Could be evil.

I'll look into it but it does carry the same inherent flaw which is the reason I decided not to use a Crusader: as Sinfire has ruled that they function in the same manner as spells, both twins must spend the initiation action for one twin to use a maneuver. This means that, while I would gain the benefit of the stance, the maneuvers would be virtually worthless because they would cost the other twin maneuvers, thus allowing it only to move in many cases. Additionally, if one twin is to go into melee, I would rather not make half of the gestalt progression worthless (since ranged abilities do not function in melee well at all).
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #635 on: August 07, 2008, 08:13:58 PM »
Requires 5th level, which means I lose out on the 5th level of Stormsinger that lets me use Control Winds with Bardic Music.

Where is that feat at? The one that lets you exceed the maximum number of ranks you can normally have in a skill. I thought it was in Races of Destiny, but I just checked and found nothing.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

AlienFromBeyond

« Reply #636 on: August 07, 2008, 08:16:17 PM »

Where is that feat at? The one that lets you exceed the maximum number of ranks you can normally have in a skill. I thought it was in Races of Destiny, but I just checked and found nothing.
Oh, um... Cityscape? Or something like it, it was like one of those Favored in Guild-type feats I think.

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #637 on: August 07, 2008, 08:25:57 PM »
Primary Contact and Favored (Cityscape) are both needed to expand the maximum skill rank (of a single skill) by 1. Of course, depending on how retraining is done, these could be traded back in once you level up and can regularly have that amount of skill ranks. That's up to Sinfire, however, as it is a little abusable (see my Rebuilding Handbook for further use of shenanigans related to that).
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #638 on: August 07, 2008, 08:32:23 PM »
Ah, thanks Nox. So, there are two feats for you to take (flaws). Hopefully that doesn't cut into your build too much.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #639 on: August 07, 2008, 08:37:07 PM »
In regards to your suggestion, dman, I have to conclude that it would not be beneficial, especially with the consideration that some maneuvers require an entire round (forcing both twins to do nothing but stand still while performing the initiation action for a maneuver which only one of them is actually performing). This leaves them incredibly vulnerable and it also limits their efficacy (damage output) in battle.
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]