Author Topic: Skies of Arcadia Recruiting and OOC  (Read 200181 times)

NineInchNall

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • I am NOT a cat.
    • Email
Re: Skies of Arcadia Recruiting and OOC
« Reply #340 on: June 28, 2008, 02:05:50 PM »
Going with the assumption that since I'm using a homebrew class I get 1d3 FP ...

Fate points, please: (1d3=2)

Muwa ha ha.  One of those will definitely be going into my Wisdom.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #341 on: June 28, 2008, 03:32:19 PM »
Hit points (2d6=10)

So now that I have hp, may I learn the magic number of fate points I get?

Jonry
Male NG Unseelie Water Halfling Society Mind//Ardent, Level 3, Init +10, HP 22/22, DR 0/cold iron, Speed 20', swim 20', glide 40'
AC 22, Touch 15, Flat-footed 18, Fort +6, Ref +6, Will +8, Base Attack Bonus +2, Power Points 34/34
  sling (10) +8 (1d3,  )
  mithral chain shirt + masterwork dastana,   heavy mithral shield (+5 Armor, +2 Shield, +4 Dex, +1 Size)
Abilities Str 11, Dex 18, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 18, Cha 12
Condition None

Jonry's Psicrystal
       , Level  , Init +2, HP 20/20, DR hardness 8, Speed 30', climb 20'
AC 17, Touch 16, Flat-footed 15, Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +7, Base Attack Bonus +2   
 (+2 Dex, +4 Size, +1 Natural)
Abilities Str 1, Dex 15, Con --, Int 7, Wis 10, Cha 10
Condition None

1d3, flat. Homebrew classes usually get just the d3. Hope you roll high!

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #342 on: June 28, 2008, 03:40:08 PM »
Hmm, I guess this would be my first time on these boards, but if you're wondering why I'm posting here, I'm one of the PCs in the Mid-Ocean game.

SiFir, are we moving here? Additionally, does Douglas still exist? If not, we've got some issues with my PC's backstory.

Alright, after a LONG read (namely, going through the entire thread), I've got a few initial concerns. First off, there's been a few posts about the general optimization here being waaaay over some of our heads (including mine). Now, that's not too bad, but I do recall SiFir saying that we'll all, at one point, meet up. In that case, are we looking at a potential situation where my Monk//Fighter/Rogue (read: severely unoptimized except for a single combo including Driving Attack that will on average push enemies 20 feet away from me) will be overshadowed by the others? Second, I see that Jonry has a swim speed. Isn't there, generally speaking, no appreciable body of water in existence? Third, the Mid-Ocean game is down to 4 players... and no caster. We're currently feeling the impact, seeing as there's no one to aid our situation (2 SWVRangers, one with a bow, one with two pistols, 1 Maneuver-abuser (Warblade//Swordsage), and myself, a flanking-dependent glass cannon). We do have some non-active zombies, but they're good for only taking 10 on Str checks for our Ballista reloading.

But yeah, my head's about to burst from all the optimization. I've only got a year's worth of DnD experience too, so most of the stuff here is flying over my head.

If you guys wish to move it here (maybe I will actually remember to update the damn thing) then I will. Douglas does still exist, I've more or less put the old Valua crew on autopilot for that one. Your background is still valid.

1: If you feel that your character is being overshadowed, then there are two options for me to use. The first is to allow you to retrain up. The second is to ask the other player to dial it down a notch or two.

2: There are some, but you are correct in that only a few of them could be considered inhabitable.

3: Let's hope a fellow poster will be able to take up the helm of the caster slot.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #343 on: June 28, 2008, 03:47:41 PM »
Huh, I remember looking at this before but somehow just didn't care for it. Now, on a second try, it looks like it's more viable than what I'd expect. There are a few reservations/questions/comments/complaints I have before taking this:

1) Will I be losing FP if I use this class as opposed to the PHB Monk? I recieved 1d3+3 (as you'd expect from Monk//Fighter/Rogue) and took the average (5). I still have 3 left, in fear that I'm still the squishiest member of probably the entire campaign (especially before Grappling Block).
2) Some of these Martial Techniques are virtual feats. Do they count as the actual feats when dealing with prerequisites? For example, Fists of Steel is essentially Superior Unarmed Fighting (or whatever the ToB feat is for increasing fist damage), but it isn't listed like Flexible is. Is this intentional or just a fault of the OP? Also, is Hamstring the equivalent to the rogue-specific feat with approximately the same name?
3) Will the Slow Fall --> Wall Run class feature swap still work (great for running up the sides of ships!)? And can I still take the Dark Moon Disciple substitution levels?
4) I'm assuming I have to do this as retraining?
5) Will the Ascetic Rogue feat still work?
6) Am I correct in assuming that the Hand and Foot Unearthed Arcana monk variant won't work anymore (as I don't seem to get a choice of feats at lv 1, 2, and 6)?
7) Slippery mind has a prerequisite of Iron Mind. Christ. And that's the prereq for any SR.
8 ) Does Kung Fu Genius still work?
9) How does a virtual fly speed (gained from Air Heritage) differ from that of a normal fly speed? (I'm looking at you, Sprint.)

1: No, I won't issue an FP loss for using that fix (I've printed it out and used it IRL, and it is actually a fine upgrade).
2: Probably an oversight. And I'm not familiar with the Hamstring Rogue feat enough to have it off the top of my head (most of my books are with friends) so I couldn't say.
3: Yes, and yes.
4: Not unless something major changes, like one of your dump stats becomes considerably more important than it was.
5: Yes.
6: Yes, again. Though I may allow it anyway seeing as it was a part of your original build.
7: What? I'm not sure I understand.
8: Yes.
9: It differs in that you literally cannot double-move with it. You have to take full-round actions to 5' step, which means all it does is let you hover (and you are practically swimming to move forward).

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #344 on: June 28, 2008, 03:51:49 PM »
Alright, rolling my Fate Points: 1d3 = 2

...Not bad, I guess  :)

Rebel581

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #345 on: June 28, 2008, 05:24:12 PM »
I'm also from the Mid-Ocean game (got linked here by Zefier). So what's going on? We haven't advanced at all in the other thread on gleemax. Are we moving here? Can I get linked to the new thread if we are?
read the 15 pages of text pls  :)

No deal  :)

Either way, I am leaving on a vacation to Israel in about 12 hours time now. I don't want to leave my crew without a ballista man, so can I let them use my character's unique skills while I'm floating on the Dead Sea?

Rufei

• Pyun pyun~!
« Reply #346 on: June 28, 2008, 08:59:24 PM »
7) Slippery mind has a prerequisite of Iron Mind. Christ. And that's the prereq for any SR.

I'm referring to the following Martial Technique - Slippery Mind: Should the martial artist fail a saving throw against an ongoing mind-affecting effect, he may make an additional one the next round. Requirements: 4th level, Iron Will. Unfortunately, Iron Will sucks, but nothing I can do about that. :-\

SixthDeclension

• King Kong
  • "Wit is educated insolence."
    • Email
« Reply #347 on: June 28, 2008, 09:01:22 PM »
If it is alright with you, I would like to join. I'm thinking about a paladin/dragan shaman (not optimal, but looks fun), but not sure yet. Theres no way I can resist playing, even though I have other things I could be doing.
The Ixa'taka campaign welcomes healing ability. Join us...

Oh, and what dragon? My Totemist has Dragontouched, and is leaning toward Blue Dragon ancestry. Not that it affects anything.
I dont know if the charactere would exactly fit into Ixa'taka, but wherever is needed I could probably tweak the backstory. Well, LG for paladin, so unless SiFir removes the alignment restrictions on the paladin, I am kind of limited in my choices for dragons.
Kindly bump with request.
My choice place for buying Magic: the Gathering Singles: adventuresOn.com

Currently DMing a Solo PbP, Check it out here

Like the leaves of the forest when Summer is green,
That host with their banners at sunset were seen:
Like the leaves of the forest when Autumn hath blown,
That host on the morrow lay withered and strown.

Rufei

• Pyun pyun~!
« Reply #348 on: June 28, 2008, 09:06:07 PM »
It's ultimately up to SiFir's final word, but my character is not Lawful yet is a monk (if that's any indication).

SixthDeclension

• King Kong
  • "Wit is educated insolence."
    • Email
« Reply #349 on: June 28, 2008, 09:15:53 PM »
It will just affect my dragon choice. But it still matters to me flavorwise, I put thought into these things along with attempted optimization.
My choice place for buying Magic: the Gathering Singles: adventuresOn.com

Currently DMing a Solo PbP, Check it out here

Like the leaves of the forest when Summer is green,
That host with their banners at sunset were seen:
Like the leaves of the forest when Autumn hath blown,
That host on the morrow lay withered and strown.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #350 on: June 29, 2008, 12:33:16 AM »

I'm referring to the following Martial Technique - Slippery Mind: Should the martial artist fail a saving throw against an ongoing mind-affecting effect, he may make an additional one the next round. Requirements: 4th level, Iron Will. Unfortunately, Iron Will sucks, but nothing I can do about that. :-\

Ah. Yeah, that does kinda suck. Iron Heart Surge and Moment of Perfect Mind blow it out of the water if you ask me.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #351 on: June 29, 2008, 12:33:57 AM »
If it is alright with you, I would like to join. I'm thinking about a paladin/dragan shaman (not optimal, but looks fun), but not sure yet. Theres no way I can resist playing, even though I have other things I could be doing.
The Ixa'taka campaign welcomes healing ability. Join us...

Oh, and what dragon? My Totemist has Dragontouched, and is leaning toward Blue Dragon ancestry. Not that it affects anything.
I dont know if the charactere would exactly fit into Ixa'taka, but wherever is needed I could probably tweak the backstory. Well, LG for paladin, so unless SiFir removes the alignment restrictions on the paladin, I am kind of limited in my choices for dragons.
Kindly bump with request.

Paladins can be LG, LE, CE, or CG via the SRD's Paladin of variant.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Ieniemienie

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #352 on: June 29, 2008, 06:10:16 AM »
I was looking through some books for campaign ideas and came across the  Invisible Spell feat in Complete Scoundrel.

The feat "modifies any spell you cast so that it has no visual manifestation"

Now the question: can this spell be used on Summon Monster to create invisible summons?
'DnD is not a game; it is a membership in a tribe that I joined long ago.'

Stupidity should be painful!

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #353 on: June 29, 2008, 06:28:22 AM »
It's an incredibly badly written feat. RAW it does allow that but few DMs are likely to let it fly.

A very cute trick, though: cast an invisible Fog spell around you if you're sneaking invisibly/polymorphed/... and you don't want True Seeing to get you. Your vision is unblocked but you have total concealment vs the TS user...
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #354 on: June 29, 2008, 11:16:16 AM »
2: I forgot to mention to look at my last post in the thread.  Witch hasn't been on since February, so he hasn't fixed it (right now Hamstring is indefinite).  As SiFir said, it's probably an oversight and in the suggestions I made in that last post.  But the Fists of Steel is something different from SUS.  It actually increases your unarmed damage by a step, much like FotF.  And eventually you can take it twice (epic).

7: Yeah, I know.  It's not that awesome at all.  IMO that prereq shouldn't be there, no class feature should have a prereq.  Other than bonus feats that require prereqs, but those aren't class features.  And class features that have other class features from the same class as prereqs.
My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

NineInchNall

• I am NOT a cat.
    • Email
« Reply #355 on: June 29, 2008, 01:37:07 PM »
So, what campaigns would welcome a dedicated support caster?  :)

Callix

• Donkey Kong
  • Not cool enough for a custom title.
« Reply #356 on: June 29, 2008, 08:49:01 PM »
Ixa'taka currently has an Incarnum-powered killing machine (my Gargel), an Incarnum- and Moon-Magic-fuelled killing machine (Risada's Bandou), and Incarnum- and Druid-Casting-powered killing machine (DaveTheMagicWeasel's character). So a dedicated support caster is welcome.

All the same, we have a lot of bases covered (traps/scouting, sailing, healing, tanking, damage output), so whatever you want works. A party face would be nice, as would a secondary healer. But whatever works.
I know gameology-fu.

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #357 on: June 29, 2008, 09:04:40 PM »
Ixa'taka currently has an Incarnum-powered killing machine (my Gargel), an Incarnum- and Moon-Magic-fuelled killing machine (Risada's Bandou), and Incarnum- and Druid-Casting-powered killing machine (DaveTheMagicWeasel's character). So a dedicated support caster is welcome.

All the same, we have a lot of bases covered (traps/scouting, sailing, healing, tanking, damage output), so whatever you want works. A party face would be nice, as would a secondary healer. But whatever works.

I didn't knew Ixa'taka has Incarnum everywhere :twitch

But yeah, do an Incarnum/Something else to don't be different from the rest of us  :P

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #358 on: June 29, 2008, 09:11:24 PM »
I believe that was a rhetorical question, because who doesn't want one ?
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #359 on: June 29, 2008, 09:25:15 PM »

You've been drafted. Come join us military chicks.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.