Author Topic: Skies of Arcadia Recruiting and OOC  (Read 200181 times)

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
Re: Skies of Arcadia Recruiting and OOC
« Reply #280 on: June 26, 2008, 01:07:19 PM »
Since I have 1LA, does that mean I start with lower wealth by level of 2 or the normal lvl3 wealth? and what about XP?

You start with the 3rd level wealth and XP, as you effectively are 3rd level.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #281 on: June 26, 2008, 01:12:42 PM »
Since I have 1LA, does that mean I start with lower wealth by level of 2 or the normal lvl3 wealth? and what about XP?
As I always understood it, the LA means that you are still a third level character, that means that wealth and XP do not change from average.

@ Sinfire: I noticed that Psicrystals counted your levels in "Psionic manifesting classes" so can I get a double advancing Psicrystal if I gestalt Psion and Wilder? Also at several points "your level" is mentioned in the same entry, would I use character level or combined class level? If the answer to both of the above is yes...I'm going to have a really fun Psicrystal. I'm also not quite clear on the varient rules for Familiers, ect. in this game, they get feats and skillpoints like a normal person, right? But Familiers and Psicrystals wouldn't use the Elite Array as I read it. Is that correct?

No double-advancing pets, as stated. Your level refers to the class that grants the ability, and only levels in that class would count towards it. Familiars get Skill Points and feats as appropriate for their new creature type (standard familiars are Magical Beasts), and use the Elite Array for everything except their Int score (which is determined by your class level). The Psicrystal doesn't have a Str or Dex score due to it being inanimate, and uses the Int score that is printed (thus only the Wis and Cha change to match the Elite Array, at least until the crystal is able to move on its own). Upon gaining the ability to move on its own accord, the Str and Dex scores change to match what you assigned to those scores when you first obtained it. Thus you must assign all of the stats except Con and Int, and keep track of them as it gains HD.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #282 on: June 26, 2008, 01:15:11 PM »

Yo Sin,

Under Magic-Psionic transparency does having psionic powers count as spellcasting? Especially to qualify for moon feats.

Another matter, the Eberron Campaign Setting have the Empty Vessels on pg. 290.  Their LA +1 but reverse enginering their suggested stats is wonky. Something like -2 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Int, +2+ Wis, 4 Cha. I might be doing it wrong - but they talk about racial mods. aren't specified.

If the stats are readjusted to make sense, something like -2 Str, + Int, +2 Wis - would that seem like a good LA +1 race.

Yes, though there are ways around this (Moon's Focus allows you to take them regardless of the other half's spellcasting abilities). The bonuses to the Empty Vessel come from having the Elite Array, though an Empty Vessel is capable of being a host creature for most kinds of outsiders and the Quori (which has benefits in and of itself). Their LA comes from the Human+Kalashtar benefits, and the ability to be a host without the use of spells or powers.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #283 on: June 26, 2008, 01:15:27 PM »
I'm thinking of making aminor edit to Gargel. I'd like to take a second flaw (Vulnerable) for the Dragontouched feat. Would this affect his FP?

Not in particular.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #284 on: June 26, 2008, 01:19:44 PM »

Yo Sin,

Under Magic-Psionic transparency does having psionic powers count as spellcasting? Especially to qualify for moon feats.

Another matter, the Eberron Campaign Setting have the Empty Vessels on pg. 290.  Their LA +1 but reverse enginering their suggested stats is wonky. Something like -2 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Int, +2+ Wis, 4 Cha. I might be doing it wrong - but they talk about racial mods. aren't specified.

If the stats are readjusted to make sense, something like -2 Str, + Int, +2 Wis - would that seem like a good LA +1 race.

Yes, though there are ways around this (Moon's Focus allows you to take them regardless of the other half's spellcasting abilities). The bonuses to the Empty Vessel come from having the Elite Array, though an Empty Vessel is capable of being a host creature for most kinds of outsiders and the Quori (which has benefits in and of itself). Their LA comes from the Human+Kalashtar benefits, and the ability to be a host without the use of spells or powers.

Thanks. I will look into Moon focus and hopefully have a build for you by tonight.
"No, no, don't think, Maya." Ritsuko chided. "We will not gattai the Evas or their pilots.

Such thoughts lead inevitably to transformation sequences."

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #285 on: June 26, 2008, 02:34:50 PM »
I would like to express an interest in joining the Nasr game. I was thinking of playing a rogue/beguiler elan up to 11th, then retraining for maneuvers and going into rift magus.

Tentative Backstory
[spoiler]
Not all Black Pirates travel the skies. There are a few marauders that prey upon dwellers on land. A few of these bands live in the desert around Nasr. Through a combination of robbing travelers and raiding lightly defended settlements, they live profitable, if short lives. Kharlat was one such (born into the profession, in fact), but his interest in the academic set him apart. When others spent their loot on frivolities and hedonism, Kharlat bought musty books and antique knicknacks. He took a deep interest in obscure arcane trivia and rumors (the beginning of his knowledge of magic), but not so much in actual history. As he saw it, he'd probably be dead of old age or violence long before he had any opportunity to make a difference in the world. He happily shared his discoveries with any who asked, and with some who didn't, earning a reputation as a sort of "bard".

Though some seedy towns and vendors catered to ne'erdowells with gold to spend, Kharlat's interests became more and more difficult to find through  "conventional" channels. He began to cultivate a separate persona ("Omar") as a self-styled traveling sage in order to have a vector into civilization even as he continued to ply the trade of skulduggery with his compatriots during most of the rest of his time. (Kharlat's desert attire concealed his appearance, so he was reasonably confident that travelers would have trouble recognizing him even if they had met "Omar earlier") However. he began to develop a strong interest in magic. Magic seemed a very wondrous thing, both causing and solving problems at a level which seemed to transcend mundane effort.

At the age of 22, Kharlat resolved to acquire a formal education. "Omar" set out for Nasrad with the money he had saved over his criminal career. He parted with the Black Pirate band on reasonably good terms, promising to come back someday with useful knowledge and possibly treasure. Kharlat managed to get accepted into a university, and he worked odd jobs (plus a bit of surreptitious theft to keep his hand in) to help insure that his savings lasted. One of his few extravagances was a membership in a local private library, and he spent much of his spare time poring over books and learning spells to supplement his roguish skills.

After eight years, Kharlat was satisfied with his knowledge, and he began to make good on his promise to the Black Pirates. He became a treasure hunter, seeking after antiquities in the ruins located within the deep desert, appraising them, and then selling them to museums, private collectors, or to vendors in the black market. His marauder band of origin got a hefty chunk of whatever he made, and he helped them out with occasional raids, though he had developed a distaste for needless violence.

Kharlat's most recent expedition was to an old shrine near where the Red Gigas was unearthed 500 years ago. He had uncovered writings telling about a powerful ritual that could be performed to enhance an individual, granting them potent psionic abilities. He followed through on these, discovering what seemed to be a set of well preserved records detailing the process. Deciding that caution was for older men, he decided to perform the ritual upon himself. He carved runes of power into his flesh and sacrificed parts of his mind, personal power, and ego to power the magic. The ritual was a success.

However, Kharlat was horrified to realize that his blessings gained seemed more unto a curse. In a surge of understanding, he realized that the ritual had stopped his biological clock, infusing him with energy that had halted his aging. Further, his body would draw upon and continually renew the energy, removing his need to eat and drink. In Kharlat's eyes, this immortality is a terrible thing, since it means that his philosophy of enjoying life as much one can so as not to waste it is rendered redundant. Now that he's a part of the world forever, he is obligated to make it a better place. Things that will cause trouble for future generations are now his concern.

The trauma of both realizing the consequences of his state as an elan and losing a significant amount of his memory has greatly shaken Kharlat. He now seeks to find a greater purpose for his life and has resolved to become a more ethical person. Time will tell whether he keeps these vows to himself.
[/spoiler]

Link to character sheet (currently unfinished)
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=63316

I'm probably going to modify feats at the very least.

A few questions:

1. What sort of statistics would small arms such as Gilder's pistol have? Would I need to spend a feat for proficiency in such?

2. What do you think of this knowledge-based advantage system? http://www.giantitp.com/articles/paBcfg1YaEccDMQACfu.html

3. Would you be willing to let me spend a feat in order to use my remaining power point to forego sleep? I'd still have to recover spells normally, of course, but I really like the idea of a living being as tireless as a warforged.

4. Could I take eclectic learning as a substitute for advanced learning for my beguiler levels?

1: Gilder's guns use a modified version of the guns presented in the DMG under the Renaissance Weapons chart (I can never remember what page it is on for the life of me). Basically, the standard Musket is a Martial Ranged weapon, similar in respect to the Heavy Crossbow (in that they both use the same rules, but the gun has a smaller Crit for a longer range). The Repeater version is an exotic weapon, and is molded after the Gewehr 98 Bolt Action Repeater. Repeater Rifles are always MWK, which is not included in the price, but otherwise use the same stats. 5 shots before reloading, reload as a move action (free with feats or enhancements).

Handguns, on the other side of the coin, are always exotic. MWK Handguns are based on the Webley-Fosbery Automatic Revolver, while the normal one is a musket-based one-hander. Both deal 1d4, x3, 50ft range. The normal takes a move action to reload without the Rapid Reload feat or enhancements, while the Automatic can be reloaded as a free action via a Quick Loader (set of 10 Quick Loaders is roughly 20gp, including the bullets they use).

Regardless, ammo for both is listed in the DMG, though the weight for the repeater versions is cut in half. Any ability or effect that would apply to a Crossbow can be applied to a Gun. Reloading them always takes two hands.

2: I prefer the Knowledge Devotion feat to the variant, but that is a personal taste.
3: Isn't there one in CP that lets you forgo eating and drinking entirely? If so, just add the effect onto the other (you still need rest in order to recover spells and PP though).
4: Yes.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Avoraciopoctules

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #286 on: June 26, 2008, 04:45:28 PM »

1: Gilder's guns use a modified version of the guns presented in the DMG under the Renaissance Weapons chart (I can never remember what page it is on for the life of me). Basically, the standard Musket is a Martial Ranged weapon, similar in respect to the Heavy Crossbow (in that they both use the same rules, but the gun has a smaller Crit for a longer range). The Repeater version is an exotic weapon, and is molded after the Gewehr 98 Bolt Action Repeater. Repeater Rifles are always MWK, which is not included in the price, but otherwise use the same stats. 5 shots before reloading, reload as a move action (free with feats or enhancements).

Handguns, on the other side of the coin, are always exotic. MWK Handguns are based on the Webley-Fosbery Automatic Revolver, while the normal one is a musket-based one-hander. Both deal 1d4, x3, 50ft range. The normal takes a move action to reload without the Rapid Reload feat or enhancements, while the Automatic can be reloaded as a free action via a Quick Loader (set of 10 Quick Loaders is roughly 20gp, including the bullets they use).

Regardless, ammo for both is listed in the DMG, though the weight for the repeater versions is cut in half. Any ability or effect that would apply to a Crossbow can be applied to a Gun. Reloading them always takes two hands.

2: I prefer the Knowledge Devotion feat to the variant, but that is a personal taste.
3: Isn't there one in CP that lets you forgo eating and drinking entirely? If so, just add the effect onto the other (you still need rest in order to recover spells and PP though).

1. I have a 3.0 DMG. In it, Repeating Rifles are listed as modern weapons on page 164. They deal 1d12 damage, have 200 ft. range, and weigh 10 pounds. I don't have a listed price, but I can probably afford it if they cost 1000 GP or less. Since I decided against wearing armor in the beginning, I can probably afford the added weight as well (especially if it's half off). If I can hold the rifle in one hand while casting spells, that sounds like a pretty optimal weapon for this character, ideally suited for his common tactic of sniping from inside illusions.
3. I do not have CP. However, that sounds like a pretty good deal to me. I'll even be able to use my PP on my other elan powers for some handy save bonuses or semi-DR.
4. Huzzah! Prestidigitation is mine! No hair shall be safe from my mystical dying power.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 05:08:16 PM by Avoraciopoctules »

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #287 on: June 26, 2008, 05:56:19 PM »
Daz Reefcrush is ready for your perview, Sinfire. She's locked and loaded for the Valua campaign as a gunner in the armada. How many fate points should she have?
Bump :D
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Akula

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #288 on: June 26, 2008, 06:51:42 PM »
As I always understood it, the LA means that you are still a third level character, that means that wealth and XP do not change from average.

@ Sinfire: I noticed that Psicrystals counted your levels in "Psionic manifesting classes" so can I get a double advancing Psicrystal if I gestalt Psion and Wilder? Also at several points "your level" is mentioned in the same entry, would I use character level or combined class level? If the answer to both of the above is yes...I'm going to have a really fun Psicrystal. I'm also not quite clear on the varient rules for Familiers, ect. in this game, they get feats and skillpoints like a normal person, right? But Familiers and Psicrystals wouldn't use the Elite Array as I read it. Is that correct?

No double-advancing pets, as stated. Your level refers to the class that grants the ability, and only levels in that class would count towards it. Familiars get Skill Points and feats as appropriate for their new creature type (standard familiars are Magical Beasts), and use the Elite Array for everything except their Int score (which is determined by your class level). The Psicrystal doesn't have a Str or Dex score due to it being inanimate, and uses the Int score that is printed (thus only the Wis and Cha change to match the Elite Array, at least until the crystal is able to move on its own). Upon gaining the ability to move on its own accord, the Str and Dex scores change to match what you assigned to those scores when you first obtained it. Thus you must assign all of the stats except Con and Int, and keep track of them as it gains HD.
Okay that's sane, thank you for the answers, that leaves me with either a Wilder//Paladin or Wilder//Marshal. Hmmm...

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #289 on: June 26, 2008, 06:53:01 PM »

1. I have a 3.0 DMG. In it, Repeating Rifles are listed as modern weapons on page 164. They deal 1d12 damage, have 200 ft. range, and weigh 10 pounds. I don't have a listed price, but I can probably afford it if they cost 1000 GP or less. Since I decided against wearing armor in the beginning, I can probably afford the added weight as well (especially if it's half off). If I can hold the rifle in one hand while casting spells, that sounds like a pretty optimal weapon for this character, ideally suited for his common tactic of sniping from inside illusions.
3. I do not have CP. However, that sounds like a pretty good deal to me. I'll even be able to use my PP on my other elan powers for some handy save bonuses or semi-DR.
4. Huzzah! Prestidigitation is mine! No hair shall be safe from my mystical dying power.

That's the modern one, not the one I'm speaking of. The one I'm speaking of should be on the page before it, with different stats. IIRC. it is a d10 for damage with a 120ft range increment. The Handgun is my own design.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #290 on: June 26, 2008, 06:54:18 PM »
Daz Reefcrush is ready for your perview, Sinfire. She's locked and loaded for the Valua campaign as a gunner in the armada. How many fate points should she have?
Bump :D

1d3+1.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #291 on: June 26, 2008, 10:36:02 PM »
After thinking a bit, Bandou Quiryl is finished (I guess). Waiting for Sinfire's Judgement...

Avoraciopoctules

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #292 on: June 27, 2008, 12:28:30 AM »
My PC seems pretty close to done. I just got the Magic Item Compendium a few hours ago, and I loaded up on nice-looking items. I estimated the value of the rifle at 500 GP, and if that assumption is correct, I think I've about filled my character wealth quota.

Callix

• Donkey Kong
  • Not cool enough for a custom title.
« Reply #293 on: June 27, 2008, 12:36:03 AM »
Gargel now has added backstory. I hope I'm not upsetting anything.
I know gameology-fu.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #294 on: June 27, 2008, 12:47:06 AM »
I have all the crunchy bits of Nadia Brightcloud ready for Valua.

All I know for fluff is she graduated with Daz and both were assigned to the same place. She either is currently working under Daz or probably will in the near future. Her specialty is military tactics and specializing in ranged attacks(aka spells).
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

NineInchNall

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • I am NOT a cat.
    • Email
« Reply #295 on: June 27, 2008, 02:00:34 AM »
All the mechanics for my final character are finished - well, except for the psicrystal. (Damn it!  Always something.)  So how many fate points do I get, huh, huh, huh?

(character)

Jonry
Male NG Unseelie Water Halfling Society Mind//Ardent, Level 3, Init +4, HP  / , DR 0/cold iron, Speed 20', swim 20', glide 40'
AC 22, Touch 15, Flat-footed 18, Fort +6, Ref +6, Will +8, Base Attack Bonus 2, Power Points 34/34
  sling (10) +8 (1d3,  )
  chain shirt + dastana,   heavy steel shield (+5 Armor, +2 Shield, +4 Dex, +1 Size)
Abilities Str 11, Dex 18, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 18, Cha 12
Condition None
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 12:31:15 PM by NineInchNall »

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #296 on: June 27, 2008, 03:45:58 AM »
I think Daz has potential. I was inspired a bit by Gregorio and I think that was lucky. Fate Points (1d3+1=4) :D:D:D
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Ieniemienie

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #297 on: June 27, 2008, 01:06:01 PM »
*Character*
How do you get DR 0/Cold Iron?

@everyone: I just noticed that there are "Summon Frost Beast" spells on the summoner spell list, but I cannot find them anywhere! anyone have an idea where they are located?
'DnD is not a game; it is a membership in a tribe that I joined long ago.'

Stupidity should be painful!

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #298 on: June 27, 2008, 01:07:58 PM »

Doesn't everyone have DR 0/ anything?
"No, no, don't think, Maya." Ritsuko chided. "We will not gattai the Evas or their pilots.

Such thoughts lead inevitably to transformation sequences."

Smudgy

• Curious George
« Reply #299 on: June 27, 2008, 01:12:37 PM »
But then wouldn't everyone be able to take feats that require DR?  :P