Author Topic: Skies of Arcadia Recruiting and OOC  (Read 200175 times)

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
Re: Skies of Arcadia Recruiting and OOC
« Reply #200 on: June 24, 2008, 07:10:08 PM »
2: In that you are a Small Anthro, even if I did allow it, there is a minimum of a +1 LA, as listed by the Anthro template. As such, you would only be a Druid/Swordsage 2, not 3. Nice try though.

Um ...  ::looks at template::  ::looks at table::  ::repeats three times::

That's, uh, not true?

3: Unseelie Fey have no fly speed until 6th level. They have a Glide speed, like Raptorans.

Other than those, I have no problem with the character. But do use a different race, please.

Fine by me.  I'm actually fine with dropping the fly speed altogether.  ::shrugs::

If I'm wrong about the LA, then its because I was going from memory. Still, the fact remains that a number of the Anthro races are unbalanced, especially ones that bypass the LA and racial HD.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

NineInchNall

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • I am NOT a cat.
    • Email
« Reply #201 on: June 24, 2008, 07:22:26 PM »
There are things that are balanced in D&D!?  Color me shocked.  :couch

The only thing that'll get me to play something besides human or strongheart halfling is a significant boost to a relevant ability score. (In general.)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 07:24:24 PM by NineInchNall »

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #202 on: June 24, 2008, 07:31:44 PM »
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #203 on: June 24, 2008, 07:33:33 PM »
Can I keep the ones I rolled for the initial game? I had I think 1d3-1 and I managed to roll the max and I'd like to keep it.

Yes. If you spent any, they are gone.
I spent none. Llochlyn seems to be going down the Lockdown route, so too bad I picked feats relatively suitable for that. Sigh, that's the price of being an original member I suppose...

Edit: After, that's an awesome race!

Handy Links

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #204 on: June 24, 2008, 07:34:47 PM »
Yo Sinfire  :)

I expressed interest earlier but was busy digesting material and coming up with builds and I come back 2 days later to BOOM post-explosion! IF there's still space I'd like to run a Erudite/Factotum Changeling in either Valua or Yafutoma.

Do I post a build & backstory before you decide? Should the build be all the way up to ECL 20?

P.S. Your campaign class's link seems to be broken.
"No, no, don't think, Maya." Ritsuko chided. "We will not gattai the Evas or their pilots.

Such thoughts lead inevitably to transformation sequences."

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #205 on: June 24, 2008, 07:40:38 PM »
Thanks, Tshern. I really like the flavor of hobgoblins and being a part of the valuan armada just rocks. And I'd rather avoid LA if possible :D

Straw_Man: Here you go. Moon Magus
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Akula

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #206 on: June 24, 2008, 07:47:19 PM »
Sinfire: May I use the Educated Wilder from The Mind's Eye's expanded classes articles?

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #207 on: June 24, 2008, 07:48:13 PM »
Yo Sinfire  :)

I expressed interest earlier but was busy digesting material and coming up with builds and I come back 2 days later to BOOM post-explosion! IF there's still space I'd like to run a Erudite/Factotum Changeling in either Valua or Yafutoma.

Do I post a build & backstory before you decide? Should the build be all the way up to ECL 20?

P.S. Your campaign class's link seems to be broken.

There is still space in the Valua game, and the Yafutoma game is just barely ready to get started (just need a bit more work on the characters in it before I can start the game up). You post the backstory when you post the character, though the FP is rolled after I review the sheet. And yes, the builds should all be thought out to 20th. Do keep in mind that players in the Valua and Yafutoma campaigns can expect at least two Ship-to-Ship battles, so invest skill points accordingly.

Strange, I thought I fixed that. Ah, the forums adds a http// regardless of how you type in the address after you post it. Fixed the link, thanks for pointing it out.

Can I keep the ones I rolled for the initial game? I had I think 1d3-1 and I managed to roll the max and I'd like to keep it.

Yes. If you spent any, they are gone.
I spent none. Llochlyn seems to be going down the Lockdown route, so too bad I picked feats relatively suitable for that. Sigh, that's the price of being an original member I suppose...

Edit: After, that's an awesome race!

Overlapping party members is actually expected in this campaign. After a point, all of the parties will be merging, so you should expect at least some mimicry here and there.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #208 on: June 24, 2008, 07:51:08 PM »
Do keep in mind that players in the Valua and Yafutoma campaigns can expect at least two Ship-to-Ship battles, so invest skill points accordingly.
What skills do we need for ship battles?
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #209 on: June 24, 2008, 07:56:19 PM »
Thanks, Tshern. I really like the flavor of hobgoblins and being a part of the valuan armada just rocks. And I'd rather avoid LA if possible :D

The problem with it is that the race you posted is the same as the one in the MM, minus the LA +1. Hobgoblins are not that unbalanced as a race, and were given the LA because WotC never prints races with double-stat bonuses without major penalties involved. If I allow the race as is, I'd have to drop the stat penalties on everyone's race, something I can't do due to the currently active campaigns and the amount of effort it would take to change the characters to match the modified stats (some races have Int penalties, mind you). As printed, that race is strictly superior to the Dragonborn and the High Elf (I have no problems with races that are better than the elf, but being better than a Dragonborn is hard to do) due to bonuses alone.

That being said, I'll let you pick either the Dex or Con bonus to keep and take a -2 to Wis or Cha, or keep both with a -4 to Strength and a -2 penalty on Diplomacy checks. Not much of a penalty, but you aren't getting that much out of the race to begin with. And considering even with the -4 Str, you can bypass that penalty with Shadow Blade and Weapon Finesse (a common tactic to use, and I have no problems with it at all).
Do keep in mind that players in the Valua and Yafutoma campaigns can expect at least two Ship-to-Ship battles, so invest skill points accordingly.
What skills do we need for ship battles?

Profession: Sailor, Knowledge: Geography/Architecture and Engineering, Balance, and Use Rope all work wonders for ship battles. YOu only really need the Profession skill to contribute, but all four of them really help.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #210 on: June 24, 2008, 08:08:39 PM »
It may not be optimal, but I'll take the LA hit for now, I think.  They're not much compared to things like whisper gnomes, but the penalty on diplomacy and str doesn't fit the military leader idea I'm shooting for.

Two more questions: What's Valua's current alignment? and *bump* Is the Valua campaign starting as part of the armada or not?

I'll be going Hobgoblin CC Paladin//Marshal
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #211 on: June 24, 2008, 08:12:39 PM »
It may not be optimal, but I'll take the LA hit for now, I think.  They're not much compared to things like whisper gnomes, but the penalty on diplomacy and str doesn't fit the military leader idea I'm shooting for.

Two more questions: What's Valua's current alignment? and *bump* Is the Valua campaign starting as part of the armada or not?

I'll be going Hobgoblin CC Paladin//Marshal

Average Valuan is between NG and LN, while the Armada itself is between LG and LN. If most of the Valua players submit backgrounds with the Armada as a prominent piece of their characters, then yes. Otherwise the Armada will be involved in the story, but not right off the bat.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #212 on: June 24, 2008, 08:15:59 PM »
Sweet. :D  *wants to part of armada (how else will the possibility of ever setting foot on the delphinus occur)*

What would be a reasonable (re: not the highest) rank that could be acquired at this level? Or am I looking at foot soldier?
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #213 on: June 24, 2008, 08:31:07 PM »
Sweet. :D  *wants to part of armada (how else will the possibility of ever setting foot on the delphinus occur)*

What would be a reasonable (re: not the highest) rank that could be acquired at this level? Or am I looking at foot soldier?

Most 3rd levels are gunners, musket men, or engineers. A handful of them are Spec Ops, though the term more refers to bounty hunters than to secret agents and such. Every 5th level and higher Valuan soldier has a ship under his command and is assigned to one of the 6 fleets. Anyone above and beyond that gets recruited to one of the Admiral's ships, or can replace one of them if they make a formal challenge to said Admiral. Such challenges take time though, as the emperor himself can veto them out of the question or simply demote an Admiral.

They've got a bit of a hierarchy going on in their ranks, but no favoritism is shown to any soldier. The only reason the 2nd and 4th Admirals still have their positions is because no one is willing to challenge them (and not many could do their jobs better). The last one to get replaced was the 5th, 8 years before the campaign starts.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #214 on: June 24, 2008, 08:52:51 PM »

Danke Cres.
"No, no, don't think, Maya." Ritsuko chided. "We will not gattai the Evas or their pilots.

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #215 on: June 24, 2008, 08:57:52 PM »
Sinfire, can I use the Expanded Erudite options from http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070629a
I'm also thinking about Bloodlines from UA. Would the 'level' bought as a bloodline be counted on both sides of gestalt or just one? You can guess what judgment I hope you make  :D

I'm assuming Font of Inspiration is good since it seems to be standard for most Factotum builds, or am I completelt out to lunch?

Thanks.

EDIT: WIth transparency effects in use does psionic powers count as spells in regards to Moon Magic spells?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 09:01:04 PM by Straw_Man »

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #216 on: June 24, 2008, 08:59:12 PM »
Okay... going to have to decide between gunner and engineer... and now I know I have to put rank in knowledge nobility so I can find out more on the 5 admirals. A hobgoblin has to have aspiring goals, after all ;)

Sinfire, are you okay with this Rebalanced Paladin?  I'm still going to go the spell-less variant so I can grab some yellow and silver moon magic feats :D
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #217 on: June 24, 2008, 09:00:54 PM »

Sinfire, can I use the Expanded Erudite options from http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070629a
I'm also thinking about Bloodlines from UA. Would the 'level' bought as a bloodline be counted on both sides of gestalt or just one? You can guess what judgment I hope you make  :D

I'm assuming Font of Inspiration is good since it seems to be standard for most Factotum builds, or am I completelt out to lunch?

Thanks.

Spell to Power variant? Be aware that using it lowers your FP, as it raises the Tier of the Erudite to be equal to the Wizard. Bloodlines are on both sides, just like LA. FoI is fucking amazing.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #218 on: June 24, 2008, 09:01:55 PM »
Okay... going to have to decide between gunner and engineer... and now I know I have to put rank in knowledge nobility so I can find out more on the 5 admirals. A hobgoblin has to have aspiring goals, after all ;)

Sinfire, are you okay with this Rebalanced Paladin?  I'm still going to go the spell-less variant so I can grab some yellow and silver moon magic feats :D

I can actually tell you their names and races without ranks, as it is common knowledge. And I answered the Rebalanced Paladin question in the OP, yes, I allow it.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #219 on: June 24, 2008, 09:03:24 PM »
Cool :D What are their names and races? (I'll still need the ranks to learn more if I am to replace one of them eventually)
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook