Author Topic: Skies of Arcadia Recruiting and OOC  (Read 200181 times)

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
Re: Skies of Arcadia Recruiting and OOC
« Reply #1280 on: September 24, 2008, 02:27:49 AM »
Tracking things through air requires Epic ranks in them, IIRC. DC of 80 or thereabouts.

Rufei

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Pyun pyun~!
« Reply #1281 on: September 24, 2008, 02:39:25 AM »
It's why I'm leaving Track in the trash bin and picking up Urban Tracking. I figure it's better.

Question: If I fall 200+ ft., yet land at a place with a wall next to it, can I wall walk the last 10 ft. and not take fall damage?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 02:42:38 AM by Rufei »

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #1282 on: September 24, 2008, 03:48:53 AM »
Yeah, I figured Tracking wouldn't be so great. It's generally easy enough to get along without it. Trapfinding, on the otherhand, is much more difficult (and is why most of my money will probably be spent on MW tools, etc.). As a shapeshifter/totemist, I've got little use for magic items, as I don't keep the ones I wear in humanoid form when I shift, and they get cancelled out if I bind a soulmeld to the related chakra.

Would I be able to shapeshift and put a magic item of some sort after shifting, though? Or would it just automatically subsume into my form?

And speaking of which, seeing as how all my carried gear melds into my new form and becomes non-functional, does the weight get negated? Does it count against my carrying capacity?

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #1283 on: September 24, 2008, 04:48:08 AM »
Wilding Clasp, Venn. It is your only hope...!

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #1284 on: September 24, 2008, 10:09:10 AM »
Hmm, that effectively adds 4000gp to the price of any magic items I want that don't take up a chakra slot. But, it does give me some options.

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #1285 on: September 24, 2008, 10:35:58 AM »
Note: you can combne common effect magic items into fewer items.  Costs less this way.  It doesn't cost more to put common effects on items.
My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #1286 on: September 24, 2008, 10:39:59 AM »
SiFir, can a Kensai's Signature weapon be a mind blade/mind arrows?

Edit: And I assume that I couldn't get an effective enhancement bonus of greater than +10 pre-epic?

Yes. You don't have to keep the mind blade shaped to retain the bonuses (merely spending the XP makes the weapon permanently enhanced).

My cohort's got Urban Tracking (so we'd gain it at lv 6). As for Favored Enemies, well, I think constructs is a good one. *points at Gigas*

Grendel: Giant
Plergoth: Animal
Yeligar: Aberration
Recumen: Construct (Living)
Bluhiem: Magical Beast
Zelos: Construct (Living, Shapshifter)

That much is established. Only two of the Gigas are Constructs.

I don't think all the Gigas are constructs. From the sounds of it, at least one is living. Whether Outsider or Magical Beast or Monstrous Humanoid remains to be seen.

Generally, I like Undead and Outsider (evil).

SoA spoilers contained. If you haven't played the game and hate spoilers don't read the spoiler block.

[spoiler]All of them are living creatures to some extent. All but one of the Gigas were created the way they are now (in other words, one of them was a living creature turned into a Gigas). And every one of them is sentient, well, mostly. Grendel would be the exception to that (due to Int being his dump stat).[/spoiler]

It's why I'm leaving Track in the trash bin and picking up Urban Tracking. I figure it's better.

Question: If I fall 200+ ft., yet land at a place with a wall next to it, can I wall walk the last 10 ft. and not take fall damage?

The fall never hurts. It's the sudden stop at the end. I'd rule it would at as a Feather Fall spell, duration equal to the wall's height in squares.

Source for the spell? I'm assuimg The Underdark, due to name.
Spell Compedium actually. Never understood the name of the spell myself.

I'll check it when I'm near my SC then.

OK. I think you have to walk me through that. At ECL 4, I would be level 2 with 6000 xp. If I go Necropolitan then, I would be back to ECL 3 at level 1, with 3500xp (halfway = 4500xp, -1000)?

And then I will retrain Dragonwrought to Faerie Mysteries Initiate (since as Undead, losing stats at venerable no longer applies)?

Yes to both. Though be aware that doing so qualifies your partner for Lich Loved.

Would you allow Necropolitan for the kobold? It is supposed to be humanoid and monstrous humanoid only. The kobold's a dragon because of the DW feat. I am willing to drop the dragon type (but retain everything else of the feat) if you think that would help.

I'll allow it. You could have taken Dragonwrought after Necropolitan. This is justifiable in the background, as there are a handful of deities that would do so (Falazure and Tiamat are the first to spring to mind).
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 10:43:19 AM by Sinfire Titan »

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #1287 on: September 24, 2008, 01:21:26 PM »
Is there a full BAB class that would benefit from high wisdom?  (spells that give full BAB /= full BAB)
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #1288 on: September 24, 2008, 01:52:41 PM »
Is there a full BAB class that would benefit from high wisdom?  (spells that give full BAB /= full BAB)

Ranger is the only one I can think of with Full BAB and a need for Wis. Apparently Cha is more important for most Full BAB classes.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #1289 on: September 24, 2008, 05:06:39 PM »
So, while Totemist allows more synergy with shapeshifting, I'm still limited in the number of soulmelds I can shape a day. That makes choosing the ones I'll need for a day each morning pretty important. With no way to be sure what I'll need each day, I'm going to have to be prepared for just about anything that can come up, unlike the Swordsage, who can meditate and reassign his maneuvers.
Wizards and clerics face similar problems. However, while they have more slots for spells, my soulmelds are continuously active until they get unbound.

I'll just have to choose wisely, I guess.  :)

Also, Sinfire, since the change of character isn't too drastic, does he get the same FP modifier, or is it different?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 05:25:35 PM by VennDygrem »

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #1290 on: September 24, 2008, 05:37:45 PM »
Shiba Protector from OA? Not sure about the Full BAB, though.

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #1291 on: September 24, 2008, 05:55:46 PM »
It's 3/4 BAB.
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #1292 on: September 24, 2008, 05:57:01 PM »
Rats...

Umm... Sanctified Strike + Full BAB class is the only thing then... :P

EDIT:

OK. This is the final draft, I believe: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=80959

[spoiler]
The basic gist of Mryn's lifestory is this:

He was born to a tribe of feral kobolds with claims to dragon ancestry (seems reasonable since many of them have the Draconic template also). This tribe of hunter gatherers revere the strength and grace of the hunt and the cunning to survive. Unfortunately, Mryn was neither strong nor (relatively) robust. Fortunately, he is Dragonwrought, so the tribe sees him as some sort of divine being. He has spent his entire life with this conflicting views: he is a weakling and a runt but he is divine.

Being much more intelligent and charismatic than his kin, he has manipulated them into leaving him alone (i.e., stop teasing him on pain of... *bluff check!!!!*) and also to give him whatever bits of books and tomes and lore they have been able to scavenge. He is not helpless, of course. He has his secrets (i.e., magic and psionics) and skills which means that he is a valued member of the tribe, especially when it comes to negotiations with other tribes or races on the ice. Even a bunch of feral kobolds has to acknowledge that senseless fighting would only weaken the tribe in a place like the Lands of Ice.

As a sort of unofficial advisor to the tribe chieftain, Mryn had tried to guide the tribe down a more peaceful co-existence with the other races. When it comes to a fight, he has always advised against the standard "howling kobold wave" tactic. Because of his efforts, the tribe has had much less attrition than in the past, and they are beginning to live reasonably comfortably in an inhospitable land. Their network of friends and allies are growing, and peaceful expansion and integration with other races and tribes are now possibilities.

Now, he is in the twilight of his years. He knows this, and there is none in the tribe that he could pass the torch of knowledge and temperence to. He also know that it is all too easy for the silly hot-heads in his tribe to ruin decades of work and trust. He needs to find someone that the tribe members can look up to and heed the advice of and so continue his work. Or he needs to find a way to continue his work. Beyond the grave if need be. He research into the powers of necromancy is starting to bear fruit, and there are a few interesting possibilities...
[/spoiler]

Sinfire, not sure how you want to start the LoI campaign, so I will leave the "joining-up" part of the story out. However, if you want, we can work together to create a meeting of some sort with the rest of the party (e.g., big diplomatic meeting between tribes/races, etc.).
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 06:38:28 PM by AndyJames »

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #1293 on: September 24, 2008, 06:07:11 PM »
I ask because I'm planning my cohort.  IIRC, my notes say he's going to be Soulknife//xxx 14/ Soulbow 1/ Shiba Protector 1/ Kensai 4.  Not in that order.  That will get him: Wis to attack twice (with Zen Archery), Wis to damage twice, and mind arrows with an effective +10 enhancement.  And Kensai will get his mind arrows the splitting property.  Full BAB means quicker entry into all the PrCs, and ensures a BAB of 16.  Otherwise I won't get that last iterative attack.

And his Kensai oath will be sworn to serve me!  Woo!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 06:09:46 PM by Nanshork »
Notes to self

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #1294 on: September 24, 2008, 06:39:51 PM »
Make xxx = Soulknife, and a full BAB class on the other side (ranger/paladin).

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #1295 on: September 24, 2008, 06:42:03 PM »
Make xxx = Soulknife, and a full BAB class on the other side (ranger/paladin).

....ranger//soulknife = soulknife//ranger...
Notes to self

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #1296 on: September 24, 2008, 06:45:51 PM »
Whoops. Sorry. I was thinking standard gestalt. Ignore me. I am having a brunette moment.

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #1297 on: September 24, 2008, 06:52:40 PM »
Whoops. Sorry. I was thinking standard gestalt. Ignore me. I am having a brunette moment.

:lol
Notes to self

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #1298 on: September 24, 2008, 07:05:57 PM »
Rats...

Umm... Sanctified Strike + Full BAB class is the only thing then... :P

EDIT:

OK. This is the final draft, I believe: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=80959

[spoiler]
The basic gist of Mryn's lifestory is this:

He was born to a tribe of feral kobolds with claims to dragon ancestry (seems reasonable since many of them have the Draconic template also). This tribe of hunter gatherers revere the strength and grace of the hunt and the cunning to survive. Unfortunately, Mryn was neither strong nor (relatively) robust. Fortunately, he is Dragonwrought, so the tribe sees him as some sort of divine being. He has spent his entire life with this conflicting views: he is a weakling and a runt but he is divine.

Being much more intelligent and charismatic than his kin, he has manipulated them into leaving him alone (i.e., stop teasing him on pain of... *bluff check!!!!*) and also to give him whatever bits of books and tomes and lore they have been able to scavenge. He is not helpless, of course. He has his secrets (i.e., magic and psionics) and skills which means that he is a valued member of the tribe, especially when it comes to negotiations with other tribes or races on the ice. Even a bunch of feral kobolds has to acknowledge that senseless fighting would only weaken the tribe in a place like the Lands of Ice.

As a sort of unofficial advisor to the tribe chieftain, Mryn had tried to guide the tribe down a more peaceful co-existence with the other races. When it comes to a fight, he has always advised against the standard "howling kobold wave" tactic. Because of his efforts, the tribe has had much less attrition than in the past, and they are beginning to live reasonably comfortably in an inhospitable land. Their network of friends and allies are growing, and peaceful expansion and integration with other races and tribes are now possibilities.

Now, he is in the twilight of his years. He knows this, and there is none in the tribe that he could pass the torch of knowledge and temperence to. He also know that it is all too easy for the silly hot-heads in his tribe to ruin decades of work and trust. He needs to find someone that the tribe members can look up to and heed the advice of and so continue his work. Or he needs to find a way to continue his work. Beyond the grave if need be. He research into the powers of necromancy is starting to bear fruit, and there are a few interesting possibilities...
[/spoiler]

Sinfire, not sure how you want to start the LoI campaign, so I will leave the "joining-up" part of the story out. However, if you want, we can work together to create a meeting of some sort with the rest of the party (e.g., big diplomatic meeting between tribes/races, etc.).

I'll take care of the meeting up portion. When LoI starts up, so will Nasr.

So, while Totemist allows more synergy with shapeshifting, I'm still limited in the number of soulmelds I can shape a day. That makes choosing the ones I'll need for a day each morning pretty important. With no way to be sure what I'll need each day, I'm going to have to be prepared for just about anything that can come up, unlike the Swordsage, who can meditate and reassign his maneuvers.
Wizards and clerics face similar problems. However, while they have more slots for spells, my soulmelds are continuously active until they get unbound.

I'll just have to choose wisely, I guess.  :)

Also, Sinfire, since the change of character isn't too drastic, does he get the same FP modifier, or is it different?

The FP stays the same. The build just plays a little differently.

You could be me, and be a full-fledged blonde. That's much worse.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #1299 on: September 24, 2008, 07:23:24 PM »
SiFir, will the Improve Flight and Improved Speed (giving me good maneuverability so I can hover and such, and increasing my flight speed by a total of 30') feats be as useful as I'm thinking they will most likely be?  Or are chances such that they won't matter much?
Notes to self