Author Topic: Skies of Arcadia Recruiting and OOC  (Read 200175 times)

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
Re: Skies of Arcadia Recruiting and OOC
« Reply #1200 on: September 22, 2008, 02:09:37 AM »
Oh god. A Destructive Retribution PC = death for the party.

*PC goes boom on deck of ship*
*ship partition gets destroyed*
*ship sinks*

Great way to give the DM a TPK. Also, kind of lol'd at the thought of a Master of the *edit*Unseen*edit* Hand (or whatever you call it) flinging enemies off a moving ship. Doubt they'd meet falling damage before pressure.
You, sir, are making me want to go with the Necropolitan DRet guy more and more...

Hmm... Necropolitan Kobold. I don't even need DW to get +3 to all stats... With Silver Draconic Heritage, I can get Disguise as a class skill. That may just work. Oh, and Initiate of the Faerie Mysteries? Bonus! :P
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 02:11:49 AM by AndyJames »

Rufei

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Pyun pyun~!
« Reply #1201 on: September 22, 2008, 02:18:43 AM »
Heh. So does that mean I have to spend 4 FP on the guy, or do I just not have FP to spend on him? (In otherwords, are they considered spent in the pool and that they are spent on one character only, or are they spent on both characters simultaneously, albeit on different stats?)

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #1202 on: September 22, 2008, 02:19:50 AM »
I think FPs are just for your guy, not for the cohort. The Cohort just gets the re-roll.

Rufei

• Pyun pyun~!
« Reply #1203 on: September 22, 2008, 02:22:31 AM »
That sounds like it would make the PCs stand out, but then again there's this sentence that kind of makes me think it's "you get to spend on another stat".

Quote from: First post
It shares your FP, any spending on your behalf also affects their stats/HP, but they have their own Luck pool.

EDIT: FYI, changed my username from Zefier to Rufei. (I'm just switching from a god-awful SN to another god-awful one.)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 04:04:10 AM by Rufei »

AlienFromBeyond

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #1204 on: September 22, 2008, 04:45:28 AM »
Woot, I rolled a 3 for my Fate Points!

What skills is everyone planning on being good at in the Mid-Ocean group? I'm going to have a lot of Int, so I might end up putting more points into Knowledge skills if no one else is. Also, do we have a Face?

Rufei

• Pyun pyun~!
« Reply #1205 on: September 22, 2008, 05:03:11 AM »
Nice! (Now go spend some! :))

I'm probably going to continue ranking up my Spellcraft (cc, eww), Tumble, UMD (when I get around to doing so), and Escape Artist. That and pumping up my Knowledges to match the pre-reqs of Rift Magus when I eventually get there. I'm a half-assed face, so if you wanna take over that role, that's perfectly fine. I've got a somewhat high Cha namely due to Leadership and racial bonuses.

Oh, and Profession (sailor), probably. (Also, I've decided on a rough idea for my cohort... namely involving Artificer//Feat Rogue. Namely the researcher type who pretends he's a mere scientist (read: Expert).)

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #1206 on: September 22, 2008, 05:08:02 AM »

What skills is everyone planning on being good at in the Mid-Ocean group? I'm going to have a lot of Int, so I might end up putting more points into Knowledge skills if no one else is. Also, do we have a Face?

I don't believe we do. You've currently got the highest Diplomacy score thanks to your bonuses, so if you want to put some ranks in that, you'd be it. Phaenix has the highest CHA, but doesn't have the bonuses or any ranks, and seems to have pretty limited skill points, just as I do. I'm really really not the one you want leading the party. I'd be a pretty good tracker too if I didn't have to swap track for trapfinding, since Hunter's Sense gives me Scent, so I'll be passable at trapfinding but not great. I'm hoping it'll be good enough, anyway. If Rufei had room for Tactile Trapsmith, we'd have a kick-ass trapfinder, or at least one on par with a Rogue w/ 6 ranks and a 16 int, and that's without putting ranks into search/disable device.

Now, if I could find a Wis-version of Tactile Trapsmith, I'd be way better off and we'd be in business.
----
To do this, I'd have to either see if Sinfire would let me adapt Tactile Trapsmith to become Intuitive Trapsmith, take Carmendine Monk afterall (and suffer the -2 net penalty from race/template on Int score), or see if going Spell-less Ranger could get me some other benefit than that in CW. Maybe Give up spellcasting to gain +Wis on a certain number of skills, or gain bonus feats, or something.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 05:17:21 AM by VennDygrem »

Rufei

• Pyun pyun~!
« Reply #1207 on: September 22, 2008, 06:00:13 AM »
I'm lol'ing right now, since I've decided on a race for the cohort. It seems as though Blanche's Cohort, when lv 6 rolls around, would be a much better Trapsmith than Blanche. Namely, 24 Int is damn nice (and 29 Dex, if I took Tactile Trapsmith).

I've got the Cohort buying off LA, btw. It's a squishy one, but it'll pay off, especially since it can just fly off with a 60' fly speed.

But yeah, I'm strapped for feats for the first few levels. One of my most notable feats, Grappling Block, can only be achieved next level, sadly. And after that, everything without a natural attack will have to find one to use. :)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 06:01:56 AM by Rufei »

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #1208 on: September 22, 2008, 06:05:08 AM »
Changed my stats around, decided that changing my 17 to a 16 was worth boosting a 12 to a 13 and another 12 to a 14. Here is the character.

Also, I have 2 Fate Points free instead of one now.  Should I save them, or is there any stat that could really use a boost, with the added bonus of 6 more hit points (more if I end up boosting Con)?
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

Rufei

• Pyun pyun~!
« Reply #1209 on: September 22, 2008, 06:11:05 AM »
If you find yourself struggling to find a stat to put FP into, you're probably fine. 2 luck rerolls per day is nice... far nicer than 1. :)

Btw, how much would a MW Repeater cost for a Tiny sized character?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 06:13:09 AM by Rufei »

AlienFromBeyond

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #1210 on: September 22, 2008, 06:15:05 AM »
I'm a half-assed face, so if you wanna take over that role, that's perfectly fine. I've got a somewhat high Cha namely due to Leadership and racial bonuses.
My build is really tight on early skill points as it is, so I wouldn't be able to be a proper face for quite a few levels. As I'm already putting points into knowledges for Rift Magi as well, I might just choose to continue pumping those up with spare points.

Always make sure you are viable at every level :P Don't rely on stuff like FP and levels, etc.

Heh. My current level is the only level where I'm really not viable. No Grappling Block (lv 4) and no Versatile Unarmed Strike (lv 4)... not to mention a lack of Stunning Fist (lv 6)... and the Bastard Sword doesn't kick in until lv 9... lol.

But viability is a funny thing, really. :)
I need to wait for 5th level before I get awesome. Until then I just sort of hit things with my sword. Boo for no ToB class having full BAB and a feat at 1st level. Only 3 Readied Maneuvers from Rift Magi ftl :(.

How does Words of Creation work with bardic music abilities from prestige classes? More specifically, the ones from the Stormsinger class in Frostburn, and even more specifically Thunderstrike/Control Winds.

Is there a Masterwork Tool for Perform (Sing)?
Waiting for an answer on these.

Are there rules for making weapons from Moonstones?

Oh, and since we are using Moon Magic feats, that means the bonus feats from Rift Magi can only be Moon Magic ones right? Because you only mention the alternate Fighter feats when you aren't using the Moon Magic ones.

What's your stance on custom items?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 07:25:02 AM by AlienFromBeyond »

Rufei

• Pyun pyun~!
« Reply #1211 on: September 22, 2008, 06:39:25 AM »
I kind of hit things with my fists right now, so it's all good. Or rather my feet... since I'll be carrying my rifle in both hands all the time. Hey, if you threaten anyways, might as well make the best of it.

My cohort will end up infusing items and shooting things with a lot of Dex.

How long does it take to reload a Repeater? And is there a possible way to increase the cartridge size? (They also cost... how much? 1000 GP?)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 06:58:58 AM by Rufei »

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #1212 on: September 22, 2008, 08:19:42 AM »
Sinfire, Necropolitan would be LA +2, isn't it? I mean, it can't be free, right (although with the river of XP theory, it sort of is)?

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #1213 on: September 22, 2008, 09:53:25 AM »
If you find yourself struggling to find a stat to put FP into, you're probably fine. 2 luck rerolls per day is nice... far nicer than 1. :)

Btw, how much would a MW Repeater cost for a Tiny sized character?

Handguns and Mustkets are priced as listed in the DMG. Any MWK gun is a Repeater. Specially crafted ones (as it takes for tiny sized-creatures) cost about 30% more than normal.

Sinfire, Necropolitan would be LA +2, isn't it? I mean, it can't be free, right (although with the river of XP theory, it sort of is)?

Necropolitan gives you a negative level and a 1000 point XP penalty, so yeah, it drops you to 1st. Best to wait till 4th for Necropolitan.

I don't believe we do. You've currently got the highest Diplomacy score thanks to your bonuses, so if you want to put some ranks in that, you'd be it. Phaenix has the highest CHA, but doesn't have the bonuses or any ranks, and seems to have pretty limited skill points, just as I do. I'm really really not the one you want leading the party. I'd be a pretty good tracker too if I didn't have to swap track for trapfinding, since Hunter's Sense gives me Scent, so I'll be passable at trapfinding but not great. I'm hoping it'll be good enough, anyway. If Rufei had room for Tactile Trapsmith, we'd have a kick-ass trapfinder, or at least one on par with a Rogue w/ 6 ranks and a 16 int, and that's without putting ranks into search/disable device.

Now, if I could find a Wis-version of Tactile Trapsmith, I'd be way better off and we'd be in business.
----
To do this, I'd have to either see if Sinfire would let me adapt Tactile Trapsmith to become Intuitive Trapsmith, take Carmendine Monk afterall (and suffer the -2 net penalty from race/template on Int score), or see if going Spell-less Ranger could get me some other benefit than that in CW. Maybe Give up spellcasting to gain +Wis on a certain number of skills, or gain bonus feats, or something.

There is a Spell-less Ranger in Complete Champion that blows the CW version out of the water. As for using Wis for Tactial Trapsmith, I'll allow that.

My build is really tight on early skill points as it is, so I wouldn't be able to be a proper face for quite a few levels. As I'm already putting points into knowledges for Rift Magi as well, I might just choose to continue pumping those up with spare points.

I need to wait for 5th level before I get awesome. Until then I just sort of hit things with my sword. Boo for no ToB class having full BAB and a feat at 1st level. Only 3 Readied Maneuvers from Rift Magi ftl :(.

The advantage of entering a ToB PrC without having a list of maneuvers known (IE through Martial Study) is that you ignore the Maneuvers Readied column and just ready all of the maneuvers you know. Normally, you can't recover them during combat, but Rift Magi bypasses this with it's built-in recovery mechanic. Makes entering with a non-Martial Adept class that much better.

How does Words of Creation work with bardic music abilities from prestige classes? More specifically, the ones from the Stormsinger class in Frostburn, and even more specifically Thunderstrike/Control Winds.

Is there a Masterwork Tool for Perform (Sing)?
Waiting for an answer on these.

Are there rules for making weapons from Moonstones?

Oh, and since we are using Moon Magic feats, that means the bonus feats from Rift Magi can only be Moon Magic ones right? Because you only mention the alternate Fighter feats when you aren't using the Moon Magic ones.

What's your stance on custom items?
[/quote]

I'd have to take a look at Words of Creation and the PrC, though last I checked WoC only works on Inspire Courage, Greatness, and Competence.

MWK Tools for Preformance (Sing) includes a microphone if this were a more modern campaign. For this, I'd say it would be a prop designed to draw people's attention to your face or an accessory for your weapon. An MWK Knowledge tool is a Pokedex or Flash Cards.

Moonstones act as unique Augment Crystals. THey can be attached to armor, weapons, or shields that lack the normal enhancement bonus required, and are based on the character level of the item's holder rather than a set ability that has to be paid for to be improved. Even the 6 Moon Crystals have this function, though their effects are along the lines of a minor artifact, and they can also be attached to cannons and similar large-mechanical devices to augment those abilities in some way.

And I need to fix the wording on the Moon's Focus, as the intent was to allow either/or at player's disgression.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #1214 on: September 22, 2008, 12:36:43 PM »
I'll have to use one of my level-up ability boosts to qualify for the Combat Expertise-line feats, but the CC variant is pretty good, so hey, why not.

Anyway, my character, Jerran, is up here. Just need to find equipment for him and I'm mostly set.

Rufei

• Pyun pyun~!
« Reply #1215 on: September 22, 2008, 12:38:49 PM »
Wait, so if I'm understanding this correctly... we should only be able to ready 3 maneuvers throughout the entire run of Rift Magus, right? Or are you telling me that number goes up when we learn new maneuvers...! :O

And ouch at cost. I forgot about that part of being small or smaller (I've only played a small race once). Now then, is it possible to allow for the Cohort to have made his/her equipment prior to joining? As in, make it possible to decrease such costs through crafting? *waits for eventual implosion*

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #1216 on: September 22, 2008, 01:03:56 PM »
I'll have to use one of my level-up ability boosts to qualify for the Combat Expertise-line feats, but the CC variant is pretty good, so hey, why not.

Anyway, my character, Jerran, is up here. Just need to find equipment for him and I'm mostly set.

1d3+1 for FP. Fairly average, and somewhat weaker than normal rangers due to lack of spells. If you are going TWFing, you may wish to pick up a Boot Knife or a Sleeve Blade from CS.

Wait, so if I'm understanding this correctly... we should only be able to ready 3 maneuvers throughout the entire run of Rift Magus, right? Or are you telling me that number goes up when we learn new maneuvers...! :O

And ouch at cost. I forgot about that part of being small or smaller (I've only played a small race once). Now then, is it possible to allow for the Cohort to have made his/her equipment prior to joining? As in, make it possible to decrease such costs through crafting? *waits for eventual implosion*

The latter. If you are a normal Martial Adept (most cost-effective way to enter Rift Magi is Swordsage 4/Warblade 7, due to bonus feats) then you only get the +3 readied. But if you entered via Martial Study, you get massive amounts of maneuvers readied. IIRC, the class gives 5 maneuvers over 9 levels, so that's an additional 5 maneuvers readied if you only had the Martial Study feats.

As for decreasing the price of the gun, crafting it yourself via skills cuts the cost to 1/3 but takes time. From 1st level, you could have crafted it by 2nd. What race is the cohort aiming for again? Or are you using something along the lines of a Imp/Quasit/Coure? Its been a while.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Rufei

• Pyun pyun~!
« Reply #1217 on: September 22, 2008, 02:40:08 PM »
I'm going for a Petal (MMIII). Namely, I'm basing it off of this post, which states its racial modifiers and notes that it has DR, flying, and tiny size. It's an LA +2 (cohort), so I figure I would just use the suggestion there and make it into a cohort. Plus, good stat boosts (just shit damage for being tiny). Though, I can see how it can get a nerf, seeing as some of the stat boosts are just damn amazing.

I basically gave it these qualities (based off of the MMIII... not sure if it's entirely correct), feel free to fix if I'm wrong:

Str -6, Dex +10, Con +4, Int +4, Wis +0, Cha +8
DR 5/cold iron
Base speed 15'/60' flying (good)
Tiny Fey
Low-light vision
LA +2

It has sleep-based abilities, but I just didn't care enough to judge whether or not they have it as a racial thing or not. I'm also doing LA buy-off, so it'll be ECL 3 when it joins (for the purposes of a lv 4 cohort at lv 6), one of that being LA. And I used 26 point buy (or whatever it was for elite array).

Rift Magus surprises me with every passing post. That's pretty sweet, really, having a +5 to maneuvers readied. Essentially, we'll have all our maneuvers known readied, correct? (Awesome, I feel like the equivalent to a sorcerer for maneuvers. Not like I know as many maneuvers as the next guy down, but I'm pretty good about it.)

Oh, and question about Feat Rogue: do feat rogue levels count towards being a fighter for the purposes of the weapon focus/spec. trees? Or will I have to pull ranged damage out of my ass without precision-based damage? Or just take a normal Rogue and pray to the feat gods for feats? (Also, removing medium armor proficiency and shield proficiencies (light, heavy) for a fighter bonus feat at lv 3. Or does that get me another one at lv 5?)

And finally, I'll take the crafting up (level 1 to 2). Is there a possibility of making elven leafweave padded armor while making the gun? Also, /facepalm at Max Dex. Thought I'd never have to bother with this pointless statistic... but atm I can't touch a Mythril Chainshirt, much less medium armor (looks like a rogue only loses evasion if I equip medium armor).

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #1218 on: September 22, 2008, 03:40:06 PM »
1d3+1 for FP. Fairly average, and somewhat weaker than normal rangers due to lack of spells. If you are going TWFing, you may wish to pick up a Boot Knife or a Sleeve Blade from CS.

Remember that I'm doing unarmed swordsage, so my attacks are all unarmed strikes or natural weapons, and shapeshifting variant Ranger, meaning I don't get the combat style feats. However, spell-less variant gives access to bonus feats, which can be used to gain twf-based feats. The problem is that I won't have a high enough dex to qualify for TWF feats, so I can't take those.

----
----
Average FP? Average FP!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 04:21:49 PM by VennDygrem »

Rufei

• Pyun pyun~!
« Reply #1219 on: September 22, 2008, 03:53:39 PM »
Just take the average. I did the same with Blanche. (Aka, don't gimp yourself on FP. :))

If anyone's interested, here's the cohort I'm making. Currently deliberating between the Feat Rogue and the Urban Spell-less Ranger (one gives more skill points and a few extra feats, whereas the other gives full BAB and covers the saves, not to mention the feats I'm looking for). Probably going to switch to Urban Spell-less Ranger, now that I think about it.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 04:13:58 PM by Rufei »