Author Topic: Skies of Arcadia Recruiting and OOC  (Read 200177 times)

AlienFromBeyond

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
Re: Skies of Arcadia Recruiting and OOC
« Reply #1100 on: September 18, 2008, 03:11:59 AM »
PrCs don't count against the Moon Magic restrictions (see the post containing them).

Done. That fills up a good portion of the feats towards the latter half of the game that I'd earn.
Indeed. I also realized that with the extra feats I don't need Fighter 2, so things should be a bit more interesting for me.

Still waiting on how much FP I get btw SiFi. Basic build is here, though I think I'm going to switch out the 2nd level of Fighter for my 3rd level of Half-Elf Paragon//Human Paragon (yay +2 to a stat two times).

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #1101 on: September 18, 2008, 04:10:10 AM »
I'm almost done with my current Warforged Beguiler/Totemist build. The main issue I seem to have is I'd like to boost my AC. In a normal game, a character with 17 AC at level 3 wouldn't be terrible, but this is no normal game! I can probably up it a bit with some items, particularly later on, and eventually I'll be able to afford to have my armor plating enchanted (can the Warforged enchant his arms to enhance his slam attacks? The text says "Warforged can be enchanted just as armor can be" but does not necessarily limit just what enchantments can be placed on them, though obviously the text indicates that only armor enchantments are intended. In a more broken world, it might say "can be enchanted as items can be"). Anyway, it'll be a long time before I can afford anything like that.

Do warforged composite plating count as masterwork? And do body feats such as mithral body count as that? I assume since crafting armor out of materials such as Mithral denotes masterwork quality, that's the case.

Sorry, it's late, I've got an early class, so my brain comes up with the crazy questions at this time of night.  :-\
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 04:16:03 AM by VennDygrem »

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #1102 on: September 18, 2008, 04:13:52 AM »
It doesn't matter. RAW states that the composite armour can be enchanted. Period. Whether it is masterwork or not is irrelevant in this case.

If you want to increase AC, then Adamantine Body or Mithral Body would help. My kobold has an AC of 20, and the guy is a dualcaster. Do you have any details of your build? Maybe I can help?

AlienFromBeyond

« Reply #1103 on: September 18, 2008, 04:45:12 AM »
Hey SiFir, I noticed that Rift Magi don't get ASF in Light or Medium armor. What about shields?

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #1104 on: September 18, 2008, 04:45:47 AM »
It doesn't matter. RAW states that the composite armour can be enchanted. Period. Whether it is masterwork or not is irrelevant in this case.

If you want to increase AC, then Adamantine Body or Mithral Body would help. My kobold has an AC of 20, and the guy is a dualcaster. Do you have any details of your build? Maybe I can help?
Well, as I said it's a Warforged Beguiler//Totemist. This gives me d8 HD and 7/10 BAB.

Stats-wise, the current build is at: STR 14, DEX 14, CON 20, INT 18, WIS 9, CHA 8; This is including a +2 boost (to Int) from burning a FP.
Feats include two from levels (1 and 3) and two from flaws: Jaws of Death, Mithral Body, Multiattack, and Obtain Familiar (so I can get Share Soulmeld later on- This build is highly feat-starved, but should prove fun to play.) This gives me AC 17, and I've got decent HP for a d8 HD pc at 37.

Beguiler gives me casting levels, and spells which are mostly useful for out of combat or if Sinfire throws any anti-incarnum nasties at us (and WF gives me something to do even if he throws both anti-incarnum and anti-magic at the same time... hopefully). Plus, the group currently doesn't have any caster, though if I remember correctly the Uber-Half-Elf is supposed to eventually be a sort of Gish.
Beguiler also gives Armored Mage, meaning even though I can cast, I can wear Light Armor without ASF, particularly in my case, the Mithral plating.

Totemist really seems to call out for gestalting with some full BAB and d10 or better HD class, but this group needs some sort of casting, aside from the divine stuff Phaenix provides. I can certainly live without the familiar and share soulmeld (though a class with an animal companion or mount would also benefit from the feat; however, we're covered on ranger from Phaenix, apparently), as it would open up better armor and a feat slot, but once again, that leaves us without any arcane spellcasting in this team, however limited it is already.

AlienFromBeyond

« Reply #1105 on: September 18, 2008, 05:06:39 AM »
Could someone explain to me why the hell Asperi won't take Chaotic or Evil riders when they're NG? I can understand the Evil bit, but Chaotic? That just seems spiteful :(.

EDIT: Wait, I just realized that Bard is nonlawful, not must be chaotic. I could have sworn there were alignment restrictions on Rift Magi, but I guess not (anymore?).
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 07:15:00 AM by AlienFromBeyond »

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #1106 on: September 18, 2008, 05:12:25 AM »
Venn, am I right in assuming you dumped and 18 into Con? If so, you might want to ease up a bit and put it into Dex. That is the only thing you can do.

For a melee type guy + caster, I would have used the following PB (pre-race mods):

Str 14 (6)
Dex 16 (10)
Con 17 (13)
Int 16 (10)
Wis 10 (2)
Cha 19 (2)

Total: 43

AC = 10 + 5 (mithral) + 3 (dex) + 1 (ring) = 19

What I am not understanding is why you went Warforged. Don't get me wrong. I love the concept of the guys, but the implementation just plain stinks. That composite armour should have been Nat AC, not Armour AC, and the Mithral/Adamantine Body type feats thrown out. Just put a set of armour on the guy.

Anyway, there you go. The best I can do. 2k gp spent, a littlebit of stat rearrangement for max benefits.

Oh, something else. You can drop Mithral Body can just cast Mage Armour. That is on the Beguiler's spell list. Saves you a feat, but lowers your AC a bit. Just remember, though. You have 34 hp. My kobold has 8.

AlienFromBeyond

« Reply #1107 on: September 18, 2008, 06:27:25 AM »
Also, damn the Swordsage's BAB, but more importantly damn the Prestige Bard's inane requirement of a minimum BAB. I would rather have a level of Swordsage than Fighter (so I can actually ready a decent number of maneuvers from Rift Magi), but Paragon classes having 3/4ths BAB gets in the way of having a total of +3 by 4th level.

Rufei

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Pyun pyun~!
« Reply #1108 on: September 18, 2008, 07:59:34 AM »
No fractional BABs kind of hurts too. I lose a +1 to BAB overall (which means a lack of an extra attack on my flurry for an extra 2 levels).

As for the lack of an arcane caster, well, I think we can make do with divine casting. I was just afraid that we'd be spell-less, which is precisely what happened in our last run for Mid-Ocean (and what hell it is to have to rely on pure ranged damage to counter enemy ships).

And AFB, I think we've thrown alignment restrictions out the window. Or at least some of them (my monk = TN). And a lawful bard = a concert performer. How hard is that to believe?

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #1109 on: September 18, 2008, 09:26:33 AM »
Hey SiFir, I noticed that Rift Magi don't get ASF in Light or Medium armor. What about shields?

ASF for shields. Same thing with the Moon Magus, really.
Could someone explain to me why the hell Asperi won't take Chaotic or Evil riders when they're NG? I can understand the Evil bit, but Chaotic? That just seems spiteful :(.

EDIT: Wait, I just realized that Bard is nonlawful, not must be chaotic. I could have sworn there were alignment restrictions on Rift Magi, but I guess not (anymore?).

Never was, never will be. It makes you think there is one due to the spell list and such, but there isn't.

Where's Chill of Juri, the 1st level Purple Moon Domain spell/Purple Moon's Wrath spell?

Doesn't seem to have been copied, that or I deleted it to meet the post size limit.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #1110 on: September 18, 2008, 09:38:02 AM »
Venn, am I right in assuming you dumped and 18 into Con? If so, you might want to ease up a bit and put it into Dex. That is the only thing you can do.

For a melee type guy + caster, I would have used the following PB (pre-race mods):

Str 14 (6)
Dex 16 (10)
Con 17 (13)
Int 16 (10)
Wis 10 (2)
Cha 10 (2)
Fixed.

What I am not understanding is why you went Warforged. Don't get me wrong. I love the concept of the guys, but the implementation just plain stinks. That composite armour should have been Nat AC, not Armour AC, and the Mithral/Adamantine Body type feats thrown out. Just put a set of armour on the guy.

Anyway, there you go. The best I can do. 2k gp spent, a littlebit of stat rearrangement for max benefits.

Oh, something else. You can drop Mithral Body can just cast Mage Armour. That is on the Beguiler's spell list. Saves you a feat, but lowers your AC a bit. Just remember, though. You have 34 hp. My kobold has 8.

Don't forget the Warforged's living construct traits. That list of immunities is pretty damn good for a race with no LA. Plus, the info section says Warforged make up the most well-represented race in Mid Ocean. Yes, the build leaned heavily on the Totemist side, seeing as how Con is the primary stat for that class. Is that entirely wise? I don't know. That's why I ask for help. :)

I had thought of just casting Mage Armor, but that leaves me with nothing if I get caught without my magic, and I'd have to waste a round every combat making sure I had my armor on. since we're only ecl 3 right now, plus I'd have to hope my initiative came up early.

Anyway, that was just a preliminary build at this point. I'm not terribly worried at this point about AC afterall, especially given your adjustments to my stats.

The real worry now is that I've been optimizing this character with the wrong environment in mind, I think. Sure I can shape a soulmeld and gain a flyspeed if need-be, but it's likely to be pretty slow at this point. But what am I doing about enemy ships? Or worse?

Too many build options, too little time. >_>

Rufei

• Pyun pyun~!
« Reply #1111 on: September 18, 2008, 03:33:11 PM »
Take a little siege engineering if you want to fire cannons, otherwise take potshots with a gun or something. As for armor, well, mage armor's duration is long for a reason. Yes, it's only 3 hours now, but still... it's 3 hours. Plus, you'll be awesome at dealing with boarding enemies.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #1112 on: September 18, 2008, 05:44:40 PM »
I second Zefier. Mage Armour is all good. If you are using Totemist for killing, then you can devote 50% or more of your Beguiler resources to defence. 3 slots dedicated to MA will give you 9 hours worth, more than a typical adventuring day. Don't wait for the encounter, just cast it.

I played a wizard from level 1, and the guy had an AC of 11 (Dex 12) until about level 3 or so. It was funny to see the Str 6, Dex 12, Con 12, Wis 8 Elf try to plink someone with a light crossbow :D Yeah. Low PB game. Never again... Anyway, even then, I used Mage Armour. At level 1, with a generic Wizard. It is just worth the slot.

Anyway, I am ready to go, more or less.

--------------------------------------------

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=80959

Call him Mrin.

Basically:
(Dread Necro//Sorcerer) 1/Rainbow Servant 10
Feats:
Versatile Spellcaster (f), Heighten Spell (f), Dragonwrought (1), Draconic Reservoir (3), free (6), free (9), free (12)

Don't know what to go for after that, but a level in Contemplative to get Magic domain and then into Dweomerkeeper is a possibility. Is there any other ways of easily getting domains? DMM is also a possibility.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 06:16:23 PM by AndyJames »

Rufei

• Pyun pyun~!
« Reply #1113 on: September 18, 2008, 06:51:20 PM »
Holy fuck nuts. 27 Charisma.

Mage Armor is essentially a free chainshirt. You can even Extend Spell it to have it apply all the hours you're supposed to be awake (16) at level 8. Or 24 hours per day at level 12.

I'm ready to go, although I can always rewrite my history.

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #1114 on: September 18, 2008, 07:03:06 PM »
For the record, I'll be able to fly of my own accord without a mount.  Therefore, I think I'm going to go offensive specialization.
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #1115 on: September 18, 2008, 07:05:03 PM »
Zefier, yeah.

Base stats:
Str  11 (3)
Dex 14 (6)
Con 16 (10)
Int  13 (5)
Wis 11 (3)
Cha 18 (16)

PB: 43

Racial: -4Str, +2Dex, -2Wis
Phrenic: +2Int, +2Wis, +4Cha
Magic-Blooded: -2Wis, +2Cha
Dragonwrought: +3Int, +3Wis, +3Cha

Total mods: -4Str, +2Dex, +5Int, +1Wis, +9Cha

Final stats:
Str  7
Dex 16
Con 16
Int  18
Wis 12
Cha 27

Anyone want me to be the face of the party? I can always rearrange my skill points around, and I get Diplomacy, Bluff and Intimidate as class skills. No Gather Info, though, which can suck.

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #1116 on: September 18, 2008, 07:15:27 PM »
I'm going with party face skills, and get bonuses to diplomacy, and while my Cha won't be quite as high as yours it will still be decent, and I'll have intimidate as well.  However, it couldn't hurt if you have the skill points to spare as I am a Paladin, with all that that can entail, still need to work out my specific vows with SiFir.
Notes to self

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #1117 on: September 18, 2008, 07:43:51 PM »
It is mainly a function of my Draconic Heritage which class skill I get. Crystal gives Diplomacy. I only have 6 skill points per level, so it isn't all that much. Most of it is pretty much fixed: Concentration, Spellcraft, Know Arcana, Know Religion. Hide is nice to have simply because I get such a large bonus to it off the bat.

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #1118 on: September 18, 2008, 07:48:33 PM »
It is mainly a function of my Draconic Heritage which class skill I get. Crystal gives Diplomacy. I only have 6 skill points per level, so it isn't all that much. Most of it is pretty much fixed: Concentration, Spellcraft, Know Arcana, Know Religion. Hide is nice to have simply because I get such a large bonus to it off the bat.

I'm fine with being the party face, just be aware that while I'll be excellent at Diplomacy and Intimidation, Bluffing will not be my strong suit.
Notes to self

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #1119 on: September 18, 2008, 08:03:03 PM »
I can do Bluff. No probs. I think I will leave the skills as they are then:

Bluff
Concentration
Hide
Know Arcana
Know Religion