Author Topic: Skies of Arcadia Recruiting and OOC  (Read 200181 times)

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
Re: Skies of Arcadia Recruiting and OOC
« Reply #1040 on: September 16, 2008, 04:41:51 AM »
LoL! Your character and mine are gonna strike sparks. I'll be using negative energy like it is going out of fashion and maybe summoning the occasional dead.

One thing: Prestige Paladin?

Rufei

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Pyun pyun~!
« Reply #1041 on: September 16, 2008, 06:28:15 AM »
AFB's still not done yet, but a compilation of the links to each PC for Mid-Ocean:
Ellis Gaszpar - Cloistered Cleric 3(?)//Ranger 3(?) (Phaenix)
Puck - Beguiler 3//Rogue 3 (VennDygrem)
Blanche Balim - Monk 2//Fighter 2/Rogue 1 (Zefier)
Sazarek - Half-Elf Paragon 1//Human Paragon 1/Fighter 2 (AlienFromBeyond)

I personally wouldn't mind having a 5th member, if there's someone out there who's on the fence. We've got an odd mix of glass cannons and tanks with a DMM archer from what I can see (with a sneak-themed set of spells from Venn and the obvious divine magic from Phaenix).

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #1042 on: September 16, 2008, 09:19:44 AM »
Not that I've heard any complaints, but if you guys think we need some other role filled in Mid-Ocean, I can always come up with a different character concept. This one just exemplifies the sort of characters I've played in the past, so It's more of what I know, but I'm also willing and eager to push the limits and try new things.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #1043 on: September 16, 2008, 09:39:14 AM »
Well, Beguiler//Rogue 3 seems to be a bit of a redundancy to me. Beguiler gets most of a Rogue's skill points, just about all his skills, same HD, light armour, Trapfinding, etc., and as an Int based caster, will tend to have a lot more skillpoints than your average Rogue. In a fight, because actions are so limited and spells generally tend to be stronger than melee, you'd want to be casting rather than Sneak Attacking.

That's how I analyse it anyway. Take it with a grain of salt :)

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #1044 on: September 16, 2008, 11:08:00 AM »
...ok, my original build ideas have all been changed, and I think I've decided on what I'm going to be.

Draconic Human Sublime Way Marshall//Rebalanced Paladin.

Tank and buffer, as well as party face.  Ooohhh, and maybe I'll take the leadership feat and start running around with my own army,[evil laugh] hehehehe.  [/evil laugh]

What does the party think?  And SiFi, you ok with that?  Well, except for the army part anyway.

I think it is ok, but if you want your own army, you've missed the boat (in more ways than one).

Your own army? You are speaking to the Dread Necromancer, yes? :D

-----------------------

Anyway: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=80746

Only things left to do (I think):

- Confirm Draconic Template. Am trying to stay away from that one as Draconic Dragon is just silly. Looking for something else that would work. Any suggestions? LA +1 max, no Evil types

- Complete Sorcerer spell selection. Suggestions?

- Martial Weapon choice for the guy. Leaning towards Great Club, but not 100% sure. Prefer a bludgeoning or ranged weapon. Suggestions?

----------------------------------

Wait. Is everyone else Good or at least non-Evil??

1: Not sure, very few templates give Cha bonuses short of Celestial or Fiendish.
2: Give me some time, I'll have a list of spells you should select.
3: Not that many choices, eh?

Well, Beguiler//Rogue 3 seems to be a bit of a redundancy to me. Beguiler gets most of a Rogue's skill points, just about all his skills, same HD, light armour, Trapfinding, etc., and as an Int based caster, will tend to have a lot more skillpoints than your average Rogue. In a fight, because actions are so limited and spells generally tend to be stronger than melee, you'd want to be casting rather than Sneak Attacking.

Beguiler/Incarnate or Totemist works wonders though, seeing as your Soulmelds boost your skills and other abilities as a Swift action whenever you want.

Well, Incarnum mixes wonderfully with everything anyway, so that shouldn't count...

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #1045 on: September 16, 2008, 12:59:17 PM »
...ok, my original build ideas have all been changed, and I think I've decided on what I'm going to be.

Draconic Human Sublime Way Marshall//Rebalanced Paladin.

Tank and buffer, as well as party face.  Ooohhh, and maybe I'll take the leadership feat and start running around with my own army,[evil laugh] hehehehe.  [/evil laugh]

What does the party think?  And SiFi, you ok with that?  Well, except for the army part anyway.

I think it is ok, but if you want your own army, you've missed the boat (in more ways than one).

Is my build underpowered to the point that I'm going to drag behind?  Am I choosing flavor over function?

Oh, and are you saying that there's already an army running around and I missed my chance to lead it?

LoL! Your character and mine are gonna strike sparks. I'll be using negative energy like it is going out of fashion and maybe summoning the occasional dead.

One thing: Prestige Paladin?

Hmmm, yes, sounds like sparks might be struck.  This could be fun.

The problem with Prestige Paladin is that it won't advance marshall, and I'm enjoying the boosting auras mixed with white raven tactics maneuvers.  I'm a buffer!  And a holy tank of righteous fury!
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #1046 on: September 16, 2008, 01:26:46 PM »

Is my build underpowered to the point that I'm going to drag behind?  Am I choosing flavor over function?

Oh, and are you saying that there's already an army running around and I missed my chance to lead it?

I'm saying you should have been in the Valua party.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #1047 on: September 16, 2008, 01:40:01 PM »

I'm using the Changeling sub levels, losing trapfinding but keeping it from Beguiler. The concept I had was to eventually haste, go invis, then double-backstab, while also having a character that's good for social situations. The big problem with my character is that he doesn't have a set personality, right now.

Beguiler/Incarnate or Totemist works wonders though, seeing as your Soulmelds boost your skills and other abilities as a Swift action whenever you want.

Well, Incarnum mixes wonderfully with everything anyway, so that shouldn't count...

I've been itching for a chance to try something with Incarnum for ages now, so I think it would be cool to try it out. I'll take another look at the party composition and see how it might fit in. We've already got Zefier's character with trapfinding, though the related skills aren't so great for that. If Zefier wants to be the primary trapfinder to free my character up, and can find an open feat slot somewhere, whether now or soon, I'd suggest taking Tactile Trapsmith pronto. I'm not entirely sure how you got 28 dex, but that gives a way better bonus to search and disable device. Otherwise, I'm going to have to keep at least one trapfinding class to pair with an incarnum one, which means I can't also add a full-casting class (not that I've ever been good with something like Wizard).

I'll try a couple builds to see what works.

AlienFromBeyond

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #1048 on: September 16, 2008, 02:42:12 PM »
AFB's still not done yet, but a compilation of the links to each PC for Mid-Ocean:
Ellis Gaszpar - Cloistered Cleric 3(?)//Ranger 3(?) (Phaenix)
Puck - Beguiler 3//Rogue 3 (VennDygrem)
Blanche Balim - Monk 2//Fighter 2/Rogue 1 (Zefier)
Sazarek - Half-Elf Paragon 1//Human Paragon 1/Fighter 2 (AlienFromBeyond)

I personally wouldn't mind having a 5th member, if there's someone out there who's on the fence. We've got an odd mix of glass cannons and tanks with a DMM archer from what I can see (with a sneak-themed set of spells from Venn and the obvious divine magic from Phaenix).
Close enough that you can link me :P. I just need to get off my ass and pick equipment and write up my story.

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #1049 on: September 16, 2008, 03:35:30 PM »
Now that would have been an issue of stepping on each other's heels, since my character in valua is currently a Sublime Marshal//Rebalanced Paladin. :P
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #1050 on: September 16, 2008, 06:08:46 PM »
Now that would have been an issue of stepping on each other's heels, since my character in valua is currently a Sublime Marshal//Rebalanced Paladin. :P

And here I thought I was being original.   

Well, if nothing else it lets me know my basic concept is viable.  :P
Notes to self

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #1051 on: September 16, 2008, 06:09:46 PM »
Of course. Just remember to take Army of One and aim for leadership later. You gotta have followers if you're going to lead. (Helps run a ship, too) :D
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #1052 on: September 16, 2008, 06:14:25 PM »
Of course. Just remember to take Army of One and aim for leadership later. You gotta have followers if you're going to lead. (Helps run a ship, too) :D

I was already planning on it, going to get Leadership as my bonus Marshall feat since I can take it early, heh.  Trying to figure out what my cohort will be.  Oh, and we're going after different styles, I'm a Crusade Commander.  Makes me feel better that I'm not a clone.  :D
Notes to self

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #1053 on: September 16, 2008, 06:16:47 PM »
If you are going to lead an army, War Weaver or Tribal Chieftain (or was it Warchief? the one that grants Str bonuses to everyone in his "tribe") are good cohorts.

Opps. Wrong thread.

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #1054 on: September 16, 2008, 07:01:15 PM »
If you are going to lead an army, War Weaver or Tribal Chieftain (or was it Warchief? the one that grants Str bonuses to everyone in his "tribe") are good cohorts.

Opps. Wrong thread.

It's ok, I got your message.  :P
Notes to self

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #1055 on: September 16, 2008, 11:21:47 PM »
I'm thinking that mixing an incarnum class with beguiler is sort of stretching things kind of thin. I suppose using Totemist, would help boost my BAB and hit points, and give me some interesting combat options, but it also seems I'm not going to get the best from either side. If I want to do combat, it'd be best to combine Totemist with something that gives full BAB (if only to get the initial attack bonus as high as possible) and synergizes on the ability scores more (Totemist/Barbarian being a classic combo). Even then, the benefit of having access to multiple natural weapons at a time, being that you can use them all in a full-attack, is taken away in many of the soulmelds by restrictions. Also, seeing as how they aren't permanent, I doubt my character would qualify for multiattack feats, though that brings up the fact that this build would be super feat-starved as-is.

Of course, despite all that, the "Share Soulmeld" feat keeps me coming back to the idea, given the right choices. :D

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #1056 on: September 16, 2008, 11:26:50 PM »
You qualify when the soulmelds are on. At other times, you don't. I am assuming that you do qualify when the soulmelds are on?

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #1057 on: September 17, 2008, 12:16:32 AM »
You qualify when the soulmelds are on. At other times, you don't.
Yes, this would be correct. You qualify as long as you have the necessary natural attacks.
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #1058 on: September 17, 2008, 12:24:32 AM »
That's what is generally assumed, and similar rulings have been made as far as feat pre-reqs go, but I think that would be sort of a house-rule. I figure that since the totemist at least has access to 3+ natural attacks, he should qualify to take the feat. Still need to have 3+ active to use though, and not all of them can be used together on a full attack.

Anyway, I'm trying to read through SiFi's Incarnum Handbook for tips on how I might go about making an effective build. Hobgoblins are mentioned as a good race, but recommends trying to get the DM to lower the LA to 0 since it's barely better than most other LA-0 races as-is.
Sunscorch hobgoblin would allow me to use draconic soulmelds, which are generally nice additions, though aren't necessary. The regular hobgoblin's got better stat bonuses anyway, though stat-wise Fire Hobgoblin's even better for this build (though even with certain 'melds, might not be the best option if mid-ocean ends up in LoI).

The downside is playing a monstrous race might not be easy to explain in-game.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #1059 on: September 17, 2008, 12:33:06 AM »
Dude. I am playing a kobold...! :D