Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question: Robot Ninja Pirate Edition  (Read 128413 times)

Mixster

• Grape ape
Re: Ask a Simple Question: Robot Ninja Pirate Edition
« Reply #80 on: June 12, 2010, 11:06:31 AM »
Q27a
What forms are there which are less than 20HD and can cast spells as at least a 17th level sorcerer?
Dread Linnorm from MM2 has exactly 20HD and casts as an 18th level sorcerer.

Thanks, would it be possible to use your free action to change forms to another linnorm to replenish your spells per day, and get new spells known?
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Viletta Vadim

• Curious George
  • Metal Genocider, maximum shooto!
« Reply #81 on: June 12, 2010, 11:38:41 AM »
Q20 Does anyone know a way to get an at-will spell-like ability of at least first-level (but other than that, it doesn't matter which ability) on a mount/animal companion that doesn't involve picking a mount/companion that comes with such an ability?  In this case, a megaraptor ubermount with lots of extra hit die (and thus a goodly pile of feats).
Bump, since the answer I got doesn't work (unless someone out there knows how to get a half-fey mount/animal companion).  I know a couple ways to get a 1/day SLA on the thing, most simply some of the crappy SLA feats from CArc, but I'm looking for something at-will.  Maybe there's a way to confer the Paladin's Detect Evil to the mount?

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #82 on: June 12, 2010, 11:53:44 AM »
A20 Get the assume supernatural ability for your animal, cast polymorph on it. Now you can get pretty much anything.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Viletta Vadim

• Curious George
« Reply #83 on: June 12, 2010, 11:58:57 AM »
Assume Supernatural Ability only applies to supernatural abilities, not spell-likes.  I specifically need spell-likes.  (And maintaining raptor form for aesthetic reasons is important anyways.)

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #84 on: June 12, 2010, 12:14:22 PM »
Assume Supernatural Ability only applies to supernatural abilities, not spell-likes.  I specifically need spell-likes.  (And maintaining raptor form for aesthetic reasons is important anyways.)
Half-Troll Animal which then gets the Primordial Giant template?  It would get either Invisibility, Invisibility Purge, or Levitate, at will.

Of course, since it is now of the giant type, it probably doesn't qualify as a summonable mount, etc, any more.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: June 12, 2010, 12:45:19 PM »
Q27a
What forms are there which are less than 20HD and can cast spells as at least a 17th level sorcerer?
Dread Linnorm from MM2 has exactly 20HD and casts as an 18th level sorcerer.

Thanks, would it be possible to use your free action to change forms to another linnorm to replenish your spells per day, and get new spells known?

Technically yes. However, this may result in severe head-trauma due to the DM repeatedly hitting you with a book ;)
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Viletta Vadim

• Curious George
« Reply #86 on: June 12, 2010, 12:57:20 PM »
Half-Troll Animal which then gets the Primordial Giant template?  It would get either Invisibility, Invisibility Purge, or Levitate, at will.

Of course, since it is now of the giant type, it probably doesn't qualify as a summonable mount, etc, any more.
But the problem is legally getting that on an animal companion/mount.  If I knew a way to get a half-troll companion/mount, I could have just done the same with half-fey.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: June 12, 2010, 02:28:59 PM »
Q28 Since Rapid Shot and Manyshot do not, for intensive purposes, stack with eachother, how else can an archery based class hope to scale their damage with their party without the use of the splitting property on bows and/or arrows?
There's not really a whole lot you can do. I'm facing that issue as well. If you're a fighter, or cross-class with a fighter, get weapon focus/specialization/mastery (ranged) to help, then talk to your DM about a Power Attack variant for your ranged attacks (it's Power Shot), then get Improved Rapid Shot to get rid of the -2 so you have 2 more for the Power Shot.

Finally, for items, get Strongarm Bracers, and put Sizing on your bow. You can now hold a larger weapon, and your bow will increase by one progression.

If you've got the money, get the Energy Bow. It already has Power Shot as part of the weapon, deals force damage, and the arrows deal 2d6. Finally, get haste however you can. Get boots that cast haste, and get the Speed add-on for armour and shields that give you haste for 1 round 3/day.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #88 on: June 12, 2010, 02:37:38 PM »
Q28 Since Rapid Shot and Manyshot do not, for intensive purposes, stack with eachother, how else can an archery based class hope to scale their damage with their party without the use of the splitting property on bows and/or arrows?
There's not really a whole lot you can do. I'm facing that issue as well. If you're a fighter, or cross-class with a fighter, get weapon focus/specialization/mastery (ranged) to help, then talk to your DM about a Power Attack variant for your ranged attacks (it's Power Shot), then get Improved Rapid Shot to get rid of the -2 so you have 2 more for the Power Shot.

Finally, for items, get Strongarm Bracers, and put Sizing on your bow. You can now hold a larger weapon, and your bow will increase by one progression.

If you've got the money, get the Energy Bow. It already has Power Shot as part of the weapon, deals force damage, and the arrows deal 2d6. Finally, get haste however you can. Get boots that cast haste, and get the Speed add-on for armour and shields that give you haste for 1 round 3/day.
If your DM allows custom magic items, a custom item of giant size (wu jen spell) would let you deal several dice more damage.
Countdown to Zombie Apocalypse 97
When you see this, copy it into your sig and -1
:lovefirefox
Quotes [spoiler]
In other words, he thinks there's a "correct" way to play D&D.  *sigh*
There is: Kill shit and loot the corpse!
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: June 12, 2010, 02:45:51 PM »

If your DM allows custom magic items, a custom item of giant size (wu jen spell) would let you deal several dice more damage.
That's not really the best of plans. As you go up in size your DEX goes down, as well as your AC. So your chance to hit goes down too. You're almost better off going smaller so you can hit better and use more power shot.

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #90 on: June 12, 2010, 02:58:17 PM »
That's not really the best of plans. As you go up in size your DEX goes down, as well as your AC. So your chance to hit goes down too. You're almost better off going smaller so you can hit better and use more power shot.
It generally works much better with melee characters, but if you can find a feat that lets you use str for ranged attack roll your set.
Quotes [spoiler]
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: June 12, 2010, 02:59:10 PM »
It generally works much better with melee characters, but if you can find a feat that lets you use str for ranged attack roll your set.
There's Brutal Throw, but that's for throwing weapons.

Rekcuf

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #92 on: June 12, 2010, 03:31:59 PM »

Except... you're not going up in size, the weapon is and you're essentially getting "monkey grip" from the strongarm bracers for 6k gold.

Shinji

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #93 on: June 12, 2010, 03:36:17 PM »
Is it possible to get a staff made with metamagiced spells?  Could I get a staff with Maximized Fireball, for example? 

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: June 12, 2010, 03:36:42 PM »
Except... you're not going up in size, the weapon is and you're essentially getting "monkey grip" from the strongarm bracers for 6k gold.
Then just take sizing by itself.

Sizing +5000 gold - "Activating a sizing weapon changes its size category to any other that you desire." I desire large, huge, and colossal. And there's nothing in the errata that says you can't.

Be a whole lot cheaper than getting a 7th level spell cast by a 19th level caster.

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #95 on: June 12, 2010, 03:38:03 PM »

Sizing +5000 gold - "Activating a sizing weapon changes its size category to any other that you desire." I desire large, huge, and colossal. And there's nothing in the errata that says you can't.

Be a whole lot cheaper than getting a 7th level spell cast by a 19th level caster.
Does sizing let you use the weapon regardless of size?
Quotes [spoiler]

[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #96 on: June 12, 2010, 03:40:15 PM »

It doesn't say it doesn't. What I've written there is all there is.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #97 on: June 12, 2010, 03:52:13 PM »
then get Improved Rapid Shot to get rid of the -2 so you have 2 more for the Power Shot.

Power attack (and Power Shot) don't work that way.  They don't actually 'eat' your BAB. Nor do feats like rapid shot.

If you have a Ranger 3/Fighter 4/Peerless Archer 3, he can Power Shot for -7/+7, and Rapid shot the whole thing, getting 3 attacks at effective penalties of -9/-9/-14 (compared to a "normal" standard action attack) for the full attack.

On the other hand, I could just be misreading your intent, and you actually mean that you can statistically afford to take an additional -2 via power shot, and still likely hit your opponent, because you aren't taking the normal -2 from rapid shot.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #98 on: June 12, 2010, 03:55:08 PM »

No, it doesn't say so and you're only able to wield weapons of your size (with minor exceptions) unless something specifies otherwise.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: June 12, 2010, 04:25:12 PM »
On the other hand, I could just be misreading your intent, and you actually mean that you can statistically afford to take an additional -2 via power shot, and still likely hit your opponent, because you aren't taking the normal -2 from rapid shot.
Yes, that is correct.

@ Bastian - So you're saying that Sizing can't make it bigger?