Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question: Robot Ninja Pirate Edition  (Read 128413 times)

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
Re: Ask a Simple Question: Robot Ninja Pirate Edition
« Reply #660 on: June 27, 2010, 12:01:30 PM »
Q173: Using the obtain familiar and Improved Familiar feat, what's the best familiar for a lv6 Duskblade for now, and at higher levels?
If you are exalted, the Mustival Guardinal gets Magic Missile at will (CL 3rd).

A Lynx from Races of Faerun isn't bad.  It's small sized and gets pounce.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

LargePrime

• Curious George
« Reply #661 on: June 27, 2010, 12:16:55 PM »
Acting just like spells doesn't mean they qualify as spells.
So, how doe this work?  You say No!, and I say YES! till we get bored?
I quoted the rules.  Could you at least expand on your pontification?

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #662 on: June 27, 2010, 12:20:59 PM »
Edit: I've decided to change my stance on this, yes they do count as spells as long as it doesn't specify divine or arcane.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 02:04:25 PM by Bastian »

LargePrime

• Curious George
« Reply #663 on: June 27, 2010, 12:24:04 PM »
As a Ray is an Effect, not a target, spell turning will not reflect Rays. Just cast Ray Deflection instead.
A ray Has an Effect, AND has a target.

But since a ray is classified as an Effect, you are correct.

LargePrime

• Curious George
« Reply #664 on: June 27, 2010, 12:26:14 PM »
Acting just like spells doesn't mean they qualify as spells.
So, how doe this work?  You say No!, and I say YES! till we get bored?
I quoted the rules.  Could you at least expand on your pontification?
You don't have to be pissy just because I proved you wrong earlier. If your going to be obnoxious we can take this up tomorrow. Check this thread tomorrow and I should have posted here on this, otherwise send me a message.
Oh, was that you?  I didn't notice.  Thanks for the correction.

How about you just don't post unless you got the facts at hand?  That way you don't have to get bent out of shape when called out on it?

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #665 on: June 27, 2010, 12:31:52 PM »
Edit: I've decided to change my stance on this, yes they do count as spells as long as it doesn't specify divine or arcane.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 02:04:15 PM by Bastian »

LargePrime

• Curious George
« Reply #666 on: June 27, 2010, 12:42:32 PM »
See, this is exactly why I don't want to have this argument now (considering how agitated you are). When you cool down we can have this discussion, otherwise it will just degenerate into an insult match, like you are attempting to make it now.
Then don't.  There is no force compelling you to post.  And there is no force insisting you make this personal, and there is no call for it.

Honestly we could just go back to square one and delete all these posts and wait for you to get your argument together.  But should agree that at least I did post a reference to the rules to validate my point, and you did not, and you got personal, and I did not.

So who needs to cool off?

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #667 on: June 27, 2010, 02:11:37 PM »
See, this is exactly why I don't want to have this argument now (considering how agitated you are). When you cool down we can have this discussion, otherwise it will just degenerate into an insult match, like you are attempting to make it now.
Then don't.  There is no force compelling you to post.  And there is no force insisting you make this personal, and there is no call for it.

Honestly we could just go back to square one and delete all these posts and wait for you to get your argument together.  But should agree that at least I did post a reference to the rules to validate my point, and you did not, and you got personal, and I did not.

:clap :thumb
Thanks for the rule quote, artificers aren't my specialty.
My two cents.
How ever "They function just like spells and follow all the rules for spells." This means that Infusions function just like spell. The same things can stop them, weaken them, or empower them. Infusions count as spells so long as arcane or divine spells are not specified.
Countdown to Zombie Apocalypse 97
When you see this, copy it into your sig and -1
:lovefirefox
Quotes [spoiler]
In other words, he thinks there's a "correct" way to play D&D.  *sigh*
There is: Kill shit and loot the corpse!
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
[/spoiler]

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #668 on: June 27, 2010, 03:11:43 PM »
Q174: If an Erudite can cast Arcane Fusion, why does this do something?  I see it allows you to cast 2 Sorc Spells you know, but you know none, and in fact can never know any (except from like multiclassing).  You happen to know some powers that have the same name and effect as some Sorc spells.  Do you just hope your DM sees those two things as the same?
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #669 on: June 27, 2010, 05:35:07 PM »

:clap :thumb
Thanks for the rule quote, artificers aren't my specialty.
My two cents.
How ever "They function just like spells and follow all the rules for spells." This means that Infusions function just like spell. The same things can stop them, weaken them, or empower them. Infusions count as spells so long as arcane or divine spells are not specified.
Prime, you are deliberately attempting to bait after Bastiann has attempted to prevent a thread clutter. This is Ask a Simple, not a dedicated thread for that one entry. Please stop.

On topic: SLAs function just like the spell they are based on, as well. SLAs aren't valid targets for mm rods and such, per CArc, iirc (Maybe it was the faq or sage, I'm afb). I'd say however the dm for the relevant game rules that interaction, to use for artificer's infusions, as well. Strict RAW, they don't work unless someone found a rules quote that grants artificers a CL outside of item crafting, and the ability triggering off that would also work for an sla.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #670 on: June 27, 2010, 05:49:04 PM »

On topic: SLAs function just like the spell they are based on, as well. SLAs aren't valid targets for mm rods and such, per CArc, iirc (Maybe it was the faq or sage, I'm afb). I'd say however the dm for the relevant game rules that interaction, to use for artificer's infusions, as well. Strict RAW, they don't work unless someone found a rules quote that grants artificers a CL outside of item crafting, and the ability triggering off that would also work for an sla.

Quote from: MM 315
Spell-Like: Spell-like abilities are magical and work just like spells (though they are not spells and so have no verbal, somatic,
material, focus, or XP components
).
SLA =/= equal spells. SLA just replicate spells.
Infusions count as spells and can be meta-magic'd. This fact separates them from SLA's as you mentioned above.
Further more Infusions are listed in the spells section of ECS.
Also The infusions have Duration/level so RAI (if not RAW) artificers have CL.
Quotes [spoiler]
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
[/spoiler]

LargePrime

• Curious George
« Reply #671 on: June 27, 2010, 05:58:49 PM »
Strict RAW, they don't work unless someone found a rules quote that grants artificers a CL outside of item crafting, and the ability triggering off that would also work for an sla.
Your definition of baiting is broken.  One cannot read the above and say I am baiting.

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7274.msg285151#msg285151  More through discussion of Artificers having a CL outside of crafting.

LunaticsLament

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #672 on: June 27, 2010, 06:23:53 PM »
Q174  Is there a way to get bardic music to affect undead to the same extent it affects the living?  I know there's the feat Requiem, but bardic music effects only have half duration with that.  Is there a way to get full duration against undead? 
"The capacity of the human mind for swallowing nonsense and spewing it forth in violent and repressive action has never yet been plumbed. "
~Robert Heinlein

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #673 on: June 27, 2010, 07:15:44 PM »
Q175: What are the most likely ways a level 9 party (Artificer (all-round, no real specialization), Conjurer/Malconvoker, Psion (Telepath) and Rogue (ranged)) can beat (and I mean kill it deader than dead, not just 'bypass the encounter' or banish it) a Balor? Cheese is probably necessary, but I'm really just looking for suggestions, tips, tactics and strategies right now.

EDIT: Dust of Sneezing and Choking is banned, unfortunately...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 07:18:10 PM by BowenSilverclaw »
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #674 on: June 27, 2010, 07:17:07 PM »
Q175: What are the most likely ways a level 9 party (Artificer (all-round, no real specialization), Conjurer/Malconvoker, Psion (Telepath) and Rogue (ranged)) can beat a Balor? Cheese is probably necessary, but I'm really just looking for suggestions, tips, tactics and strategies right now.
Does the Conjurer have Dispel magic?
Quotes [spoiler]

[/spoiler]

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #675 on: June 27, 2010, 07:17:31 PM »
Q175: What are the most likely ways a level 9 party (Artificer (all-round, no real specialization), Conjurer/Malconvoker, Psion (Telepath) and Rogue (ranged)) can beat a Balor? Cheese is probably necessary, but I'm really just looking for suggestions, tips, tactics and strategies right now.
Yes, I do believe so.

P.S.: Edited question a bit.
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #676 on: June 27, 2010, 07:23:15 PM »
Yes, I do believe so.
In  that case have the artificer craft an eternal wand of explosive runes. Fill a bag of holding with pages with explosive runes on them. Leave the bag where the balor can see it and have the psion make the balor attracted to to bag (using the attraction power). When the Balor grabs the bag have the conjurer cast an area dispel magic and willingly fail the Dispel check. X times 6d6 damage where X = number of pages of explosive runes.
This assumes you have prep time and sufficient wealth, but money is easy to get.
Quotes [spoiler]

[/spoiler]

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #677 on: June 27, 2010, 07:29:09 PM »
Yes, I do believe so.
In  that case have the artificer craft an eternal wand of explosive runes. Fill a bag of holding with pages with explosive runes on them. Leave the bag where the balor can see it and have the psion make the balor attracted to to bag (using the attraction power). When the Balor grabs the bag have the conjurer cast an area dispel magic and willingly fail the Dispel check. X times 6d6 damage where X = number of pages of explosive runes.
This assumes you have prep time and sufficient wealth, but money is easy to get.
Well, I haven't resorted to the Explosive Runes bomb yet, so it hasn't been banned yet :lol

The problem is Explosive Runes allows SR, and beating SR 28 with CL9th might be a bit tricky :(

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #678 on: June 27, 2010, 07:32:42 PM »
The problem is Explosive Runes allows SR, and beating SR 28 with CL9th might be a bit tricky :(
1. SR might only be for the item it is cast on, not the burst effect. Failing that.
2. 1 in 20 casting should go through, This just means you'll need 25 times as many castings. (for good measure)
Quotes [spoiler]

[/spoiler]

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #679 on: June 27, 2010, 07:34:41 PM »
1. SR might only be for the item it is cast on, not the burst effect. Failing that.
2. 1 in 20 casting should go through, This just means you'll need 25 times as many castings. (for good measure)
I'm going with a conservative reading, so let's assume SR applies.

Any other ideas?
And thanks for the suggestions so far :)