Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question: The Revenge of the Grue  (Read 139713 times)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question: The Revenge of the Grue
« Reply #600 on: January 20, 2010, 03:52:19 AM »
Q 157 Have a friend who's allowing gestault in his The Shackled City campaign because he just does not believe that a regular party could possibly survive it without their hand being held. This gestault campaign allows prestiges so I'm helping design a couple for approval. How ridiculous would a Fighter/Wizard gestault prestiging into an Eldritch Knight/Abjurant Champion with twilight armour be? Too godly?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #601 on: January 20, 2010, 05:54:23 AM »
Q 155: Is there a feat that allows you to turn a weapon that is not normally a monk weapon into a monk weapon?

A 155: Three in the Eberron Campaign Setting: one for Longswords, Longspears and Twobladed Swords. Secrets of Sarlona also has Polemaster, which lets you add Poleweapons to your Monk weapons.

A157: It's not so bad as a Wizard/Arcantatrix//Druid/Planar Shephard, but it's still very, very good. IMO, over the required power level. (Btw, drop the Eldritch Knight for Swiftblade levels, and don't worry about Twilight on your armour as an Abjurant Champion. I would also replace Fighter with something useful, like Warblade.)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #602 on: January 20, 2010, 08:58:55 AM »
A157: It's not so bad as a Wizard/Arcantatrix//Druid/Planar Shephard, but it's still very, very good. IMO, over the required power level. (Btw, drop the Eldritch Knight for Swiftblade levels, and don't worry about Twilight on your armour as an Abjurant Champion. I would also replace Fighter with something useful, like Warblade.)
He's not allowing ToB in a gestault campaign. Where's swiftblade and arcantatrix from?

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #603 on: January 20, 2010, 09:00:51 AM »
i think he means incantrix but i cant be sure

deuxhero

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #604 on: January 20, 2010, 09:35:30 AM »
Go Factotum/wizard//Wizard/Swiftblade. Full casting and extra actions (The main weakness of a gestalt character over two characters is fewer actions, remove that weakness...)(

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #605 on: January 20, 2010, 09:58:11 AM »
Go Factotum/wizard//Wizard/Swiftblade. Full casting and extra actions (The main weakness of a gestalt character over two characters is fewer actions, remove that weakness...)(
Again, where is swiftblade from?

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #606 on: January 20, 2010, 09:58:57 AM »
Yes, I do mean Incantatrix. What was I thinking? Swiftblade: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327

shalandar

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #607 on: January 20, 2010, 11:35:03 AM »
Q 154 According to that link to the Dread Commando and the SRD, that ability that Dread Commandoes get is ineffective since you don't get competence bonuses on initiative checks in the first place.....is this me misunderstanding or did WotC screw up again?
The SRD also says you only get Dodge bonuses to AC, when there's a core spell that gives you a dodge bonus to Reflex saves.
Generally, bonuses of the same type don't stack. Dodge and Circumstance bonuses are two exceptions.
I thought that Luck bonuses stack as well.....I swore I read that in the DMG previously.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #608 on: January 20, 2010, 04:20:26 PM »
Q159: So, it seems like unseelie fey's granted powers are more appropriate as a vestige than as a template.  About what level vestige would it be?
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #609 on: January 20, 2010, 05:18:08 PM »
Q 160: Where does it say how the length of a knotted rope is adjusted from the rope's original length?
*waves hand* This is not the sig you're looking for...
The freely downloadable and searchable 3.5 SRD I prefer (Web)
Camlen, Enniwey

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #610 on: January 20, 2010, 06:02:13 PM »
Q 160: Where does it say how the length of a knotted rope is adjusted from the rope's original length?

Would that depend a lot on the number knots, the type of knot used, etc?  Seems difficult to have a consistent ruling.  If it's only a few knots for climbing, I say treat it about the same length, perhaps a foot shorter
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #611 on: January 20, 2010, 06:18:28 PM »

Would that depend a lot on the number knots, the type of knot used, etc?  Seems difficult to have a consistent ruling.  If it's only a few knots for climbing, I say treat it about the same length, perhaps a foot shorter
I recall the 3.0 book saying it reduced length of the rope by 5 ft per knot, just like splicing ropes together did, but I do not think they retained that reference in the 3.5 book. Should fall under the Use Rope skill, though. I'm afb.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #612 on: January 20, 2010, 06:19:26 PM »
He's not allowing ToB in a gestault campaign. Where's swiftblade and arcantatrix from?

Only read that now... What the hell do people have against ToB? :s You can play a Druid/Wizard, for crying out loud...

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #613 on: January 20, 2010, 06:21:12 PM »

Only read that now... What the hell do people have against ToB? :s You can play a Druid/Wizard, for crying out loud...
One of my friends used to have issues with "perceived" balance (tob, warlocks, etc), until I showed him what a straight core wizard, cleric, or druid could do without even trying.

He now doesn't like people playing those three, but could care less about anything else. It's rather comical.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

deuxhero

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #614 on: January 20, 2010, 07:08:10 PM »
Q161:Any Ur Priest handbooks in existance?

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #615 on: January 20, 2010, 08:39:56 PM »
A161 No, but the levels 1 to 5 are not good, unless part of a dual caster build, early qualifying or something else ToB-ish. Top level is silly.
But there is room for arguing.  :D

Q 162 Anybody remember the Commoner TO-build that gets close to full casting ??

Nameless Void

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #616 on: January 20, 2010, 10:00:36 PM »
Q163:

Explosive Runes.. Do they count as magical writing?

The PHB designates them as mystical runes or a magical trap but does not say that the runes are a magical writing.

Q164:

For the purposes of detonating said Runes, can a wand be used as this is not casting Dispel Magic yourself (which you would automatically succeed on).
Quote from: Solo on MW
Optimizing is the antithesis of roleplaying because it takes focus away from the important parts of the game.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #617 on: January 20, 2010, 10:05:07 PM »
Q 165 I've asked this in another thread, but I thought I'd get everyone's opinion. It says in the published book of Shackled City that the players probably shouldn't have completely green characters, and maybe an introductory adventure that lead to the Shackled City would be best. Especially since all of the characters should be ECL 3 by the time they finish the first section with the skulks. Any suggestions on what introductory adventure would be best?

NiteCyper

• Bi-Curious George
  • Contact me on .NET Messenger Service.
« Reply #618 on: January 20, 2010, 10:08:51 PM »
Q167: What's the cost for a manifestation of "Psychic Reformation"? Or, what's the cheapest way to get this manifested upon one's PC?

Finding the rules/prices for NPC castings of spells was hard enough.

Q166: Does the Uncanny Trickster PrC advance spellcasting?
I'm too lazy to even read its text.
Caveat: I edit my posts, ever and anon after.

Nameless Void

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #619 on: January 20, 2010, 10:27:29 PM »
A165:

Do you want them to advance their characters to 3rd level?

If not, Sons of Gruumsh FR adventure 4th level to 6th if they are lucky..
Quote from: Solo on MW
Optimizing is the antithesis of roleplaying because it takes focus away from the important parts of the game.