Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question: The Revenge of the Grue  (Read 139722 times)

Mushroom

• Curious George
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question: The Revenge of the Grue
« Reply #500 on: January 16, 2010, 07:19:33 AM »
Q123:How can one find unlimited ammunition?

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #501 on: January 16, 2010, 07:47:42 AM »
Q 121 If monks wear bracers of armor, do they lose their WIS to AC?

Also, still looking for more ways to not get whipped by Blasphemy.

A 121: No, they don't lose it.

Blasphemy: being deaf should do the trick, no?

A 123: Quiver of Elhonna is auto-replenishing, IIRC.

jolt

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #502 on: January 16, 2010, 07:58:08 AM »
Q124: Would legacy champion be able to progress prcs instead of your normal class? In other words, would a warlock9/hellfire warlock3/legacy champion8 be able to progress the hellfire warlock for 6 more lvls (no progress at 1st and 7nd)?

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #503 on: January 16, 2010, 08:02:56 AM »
So a Cleric 10 can go umm I take a month to rebuild a go BAM Ur-Priest 10?

Cool!
No. You need to do it gradually as you level up. You can retrain a number of levels up to one-fifth your character level (rounded up) at a time, if memory serves, and you do it during level-up (after completing the rebuilding quest). So you could take a Cleric 5, level up and take Ur-Priest 1, and at the same time rebuild two Cleric levels into Ur-Priest levels. When you level up again, you take another Ur-Priest level and rebuild another two Celric levels, leaving you with a Cleric 1/Ur-Priest 6. On your next level-up, you can rebuild your last Cleric level and end up with an Ur-Priest 8. From then, you just level normally. You didn't think it was that simple, did ya? :p

Of course, I take zero responsibility for injuries resulting from flung DMGs (or any other objects). ;)

Q124: Would legacy champion be able to progress prcs instead of your normal class? In other words, would a warlock9/hellfire warlock3/legacy champion8 be able to progress the hellfire warlock for 6 more lvls (no progress at 1st and 7nd)?
A 124

The general CO consensus is yes.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 08:08:49 AM by Agita »
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #504 on: January 16, 2010, 11:14:00 AM »
Q 121 If monks wear bracers of armor, do they lose their WIS to AC?

Also, still looking for more ways to not get whipped by Blasphemy.

A 121: No, they don't lose it.

Blasphemy: being deaf should do the trick, no?

A 123: Quiver of Elhonna is auto-replenishing, IIRC.
A121: Bracers of Armor are wondrous items, not magical armor, if you are looking for a specific rule on it. It's also covered in the General FAQ.

Being deaf alone wouldn't do it, but having immunity to Evil spells and effects or Sonic spells and effects would do it. Subtle distinction, but an important one.

Quiver of Ehlonna doesn't auto replenish, it just hold 60 arrows. Somewhere on the WotC website is an article with the Quiver of Anariel, however, which does. I think that's the name of it, at least.

Edit: Alternatively, use Hank's Bow.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #505 on: January 16, 2010, 02:25:59 PM »
A121: Bracers of Armor are wondrous items, not magical armor, if you are looking for a specific rule on it. It's also covered in the General FAQ.

Being deaf alone wouldn't do it, but having immunity to Evil spells and effects or Sonic spells and effects would do it. Subtle distinction, but an important one.

Edit: Alternatively, use Hank's Bow.

A 121: Considering the large number of monks in Wizards material that have Bracers of Armor as part of their equipment list I would guess no.  I mean, they are bracers, not armor.
Being deaf helps, but being immune to evil spells would be better since you don't have that miss chance for spells with somatic components. But does sonic protection really stop Blasphemy? I mean, I have sonic protection 10, but that never seems to help against that.

As for the armour bracers, I always thought they did, but the DM says they don't (at least in his campaigns). That bracers give you an armour bonus, so therefore they don't stack, and you lose your WIS to AC and the AC bonus you get for not wearing armour. I asked him then why do monks wear bracers at all, and he said it's because the bracers get higher bonuses so they opt to switch one for the other. I didn't know how to answer him.

Q 122:Does the Transmuting property from Magic Item Compendium at a measly +2 enhancement really allow a weapon to overcome DR/epic?  Also the entry mentions that "for the next 10 rounds..." you have its benefit.  What happens after 10 rounds?[/quote]
Yes. Yes it does. Just like the +2 force ability it'll overcome it the round after you strike, and for 10 rounds after that. After 10 rounds it turns back to normal.

Q123:How can one find unlimited ammunition?
Are you referring to actual ammunition or arrows and bolts? There's a +2 ability that lets exotic weapon pistols become as unlimited as Dante's form DMC.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #506 on: January 16, 2010, 02:32:29 PM »
The Monk AC is a) not an Armour bonus, so stacking isn't an issue b) only lost when *wearing* armour or *using* a shield. That's something else entirely than *getting* an armour or shield bonus.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #507 on: January 16, 2010, 02:33:42 PM »
The Monk AC is a) not an Armour bonus, so stacking isn't an issue b) only lost when *wearing* armour or *using* a shield. That's something else entirely than *getting* an armour or shield bonus.
That's what I thought, and that's how I always played, but we all know my DM by now...  :banghead

Truncator

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #508 on: January 16, 2010, 04:54:38 PM »
q 124: is there a class somewhere that progresses both martial powers and psionic powers?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 04:58:20 PM by Truncator »

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #509 on: January 16, 2010, 05:02:28 PM »
Q 125 Is there feat that allows Cleric and Paladin levels to stack? Besides Holy Mount?

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #510 on: January 16, 2010, 05:13:39 PM »
q 124: is there a class somewhere that progresses both martial powers and psionic powers?

A 124: No, but both Sinfire Titan and me have homebrewn PrCs that do.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #511 on: January 16, 2010, 05:35:42 PM »
That's what I thought, and that's how I always played, but we all know my DM by now...  :banghead
Armor Bonus is a bonus type, refer him to the Rules Compendium under bonus types for further explanation. Monk's cannot wear armor, not "they cannot have an armor bonus". And you lose a lot more than just wis +1/5 levels to ac if you wear armor as a monk.

Furthermore, in the General FAQ somewhere, it supports monks wearing BoA. Might want to find that passage and see if you cannot talk him into it. I suppose he's also one of those DM's that feels the Monk's AC ability is selective and wearing a Monk's Belt doesn't allow Wis to AC, as well... *Eyeroll*
[Spoiler]

They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #512 on: January 16, 2010, 07:59:19 PM »
General CO consensus is yes.  If it isn't allowed, what you do instead is take
Hellfire Warlock 1/ Uncanny Trickster 2/ Legacy Champion 2 and a major bloodline, which gets you hellfire as a level (1+3)+(1+3)+(1+3)=12 level hellfire warlock
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #513 on: January 16, 2010, 08:19:07 PM »
Q126: Is there anything actually stopping a Rogue or Exemplar from choosing Use Magic Device for skill mastery?
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #514 on: January 16, 2010, 09:18:58 PM »
Q126: Is there anything actually stopping a Rogue or Exemplar from choosing Use Magic Device for skill mastery?
A126
nope -- I actually recommend doing it.
besides, warlocks get that as a class feature (just as a point of comparison).

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #515 on: January 16, 2010, 11:43:44 PM »

As for the armour bracers, I always thought they did, but the DM says they don't (at least in his campaigns). That bracers give you an armour bonus, so therefore they don't stack, and you lose your WIS to AC and the AC bonus you get for not wearing armour. I asked him then why do monks wear bracers at all, and he said it's because the bracers get higher bonuses so they opt to switch one for the other. I didn't know how to answer him.

Find the sample NPC's in the DMG (each base class, leveled 1-20, with equipment, basic stats) and look at the AC and equipment of the sample monks once they start owning bracers of armor.  Show him that.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #516 on: January 17, 2010, 12:04:36 AM »

Find the sample NPC's in the DMG (each base class, leveled 1-20, with equipment, basic stats) and look at the AC and equipment of the sample monks once they start owning bracers of armor.  Show him that.
and if that doesn't work, then just drop-kick him in the face until he concedes.

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #517 on: January 17, 2010, 02:27:22 AM »

Find the sample NPC's in the DMG (each base class, leveled 1-20, with equipment, basic stats) and look at the AC and equipment of the sample monks once they start owning bracers of armor.  Show him that.
and if that doesn't work, then just drop-kick him in the face until he concedes.
lol That might actually work better. The drop kicking I mean. Of course it'll include a jail sentence too.

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #518 on: January 17, 2010, 09:44:28 AM »

lol That might actually work better. The drop kicking I mean. Of course it'll include a jail sentence too.
not as long as you have enough lime to "take care of" him and all the witnesses  :smirk

[spoiler]

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #519 on: January 17, 2010, 06:02:45 PM »
Q127Would an Anti-magic Field spell under the effect of Extraordinary Spell Aim centered on himself allow a caster to a) effect enemies outside the AMF with his spellcasting, b)effect only people in his square with him with his spells, or c) only be able to effect himself with his own spells?

Q127bDoes that same AMF block LoE for spells originating outside that AMF? Example: Casting a Flamestrike spell or the like with the origin point originating outside the AMF's area.
[Spoiler]

[/spoiler]