Author Topic: Verold - Custom Campaign Setting  (Read 6153 times)

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
Re: Verold - Custom Campaign Setting
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2009, 01:32:21 AM »
Archivist doesn't spontaneously cast any spell. They have to purchase and prepare them. Plus they'redesigned to do that. Yours seems more like an oversight. And even if intended, I'd argue too powerful.

Dancing fires sounds interesting that way.

Searing manipulation still seems a bit unclear.

I'm not as good with ToB, but I'd say full IL.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2009, 11:06:56 AM »
And even if intended, I'd argue too powerful.

True, but it seems slightly weird to limit it to one spell list when so many different ones can take the class.

And if it was limited to the spell list of the class you entered with, the Warmage/Beguiler angle would be far less interesting.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2009, 12:37:52 PM »
Oh I'm not saying limit it. No. Definitely not. I'm saying specify which spell list to use first. So if you say "Spells not on your class list use the wizard->druid->cleric->bard->anything else order, then if I'm a warmage and want a fire spell not on my or the wizard list, I use the druid list before I get to the domains, even if that means it's level 3 instead of 2.
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2009, 06:58:42 PM »
Oh I'm not saying limit it. No. Definitely not. I'm saying specify which spell list to use first. So if you say "Spells not on your class list use the wizard->druid->cleric->bard->anything else order, then if I'm a warmage and want a fire spell not on my or the wizard list, I use the druid list before I get to the domains, even if that means it's level 3 instead of 2.

That sounds far more complicated though.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2009, 07:01:12 PM »
But far more balanced for someone who can spontaneous cast them without preparation or cost.
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2009, 07:32:48 PM »
But far more balanced for someone who can spontaneous cast them without preparation or cost.

Ah.

Good point.

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2010, 07:01:31 AM »
Bringing this back up as I've finally had a chance to work on it some.

Fluff is in for all posted PrCs except for Earth's Fury and Dark Moon Zealot.

Earth's Fury changed to initiator. Pretty much the same though, actually.

All PrCs have mechanics up.

Rat Rogue racial sub and new Rogue feat up.

Also races updated with their class sub levels, including all that I'm planning on doing.

SKRP

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2010, 03:12:07 PM »
i saw recent change log, but I'm not able to comment in at Verold subforum, so I put my impressions here.

I like wolf racial substitution levels, although it seems that 4th binder level is a bit too powerful. Ability to ignore influence of vestiges liberates wolf binder from one of the biggest restrains and make binding checks obsolete. In my opinion it should be limited in some way. Maybe the best solution would be making it once or twice per day ability?

On the other hand, Binder's Bondage is flavorful and makes wolf binder idea strongly appealing.

Substitution levels for warmage are really good, because they create reasonable cause to stay in warmage longer then five levels. In my opinion, you could even improve 16th level ability a bit. If it affect even spell 5 or more lower (so eventually up to 4th level spells), it will be on par with abilities of different warmage builds with more expanded spell list (compare wolf warmage 16/sandshaper 1/prestige bard 2/full casting class 1 to wolf warmage 5/rainbow servant 10/full casting class 5).

Where can I find new spells and magic items?

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2010, 09:58:45 PM »
i saw recent change log, but I'm not able to comment in at Verold subforum, so I put my impressions here.

Strange, I did not realize you could not reply in that thread.

I like wolf racial substitution levels, although it seems that 4th binder level is a bit too powerful. Ability to ignore influence of vestiges liberates wolf binder from one of the biggest restrains and make binding checks obsolete. In my opinion it should be limited in some way. Maybe the best solution would be making it once or twice per day ability?

I thought about this for a while. I eventually realized that as a limited use per day it would be either pointless (if you're trying to go against it constantly for flavor) or effectively the same as totally ignoring it (if you're only ignoring when it matters), and while it essentially at that level allows for ignoring binding checks, binders shouldn't really be making bad pacts anyway, and you need binding checks for the Binder's Bondage.

On the other hand, Binder's Bondage is flavorful and makes wolf binder idea strongly appealing.

Yea, I really like it myself. :D

Substitution levels for warmage are really good, because they create reasonable cause to stay in warmage longer then five levels. In my opinion, you could even improve 16th level ability a bit. If it affect even spell 5 or more lower (so eventually up to 4th level spells), it will be on par with abilities of different warmage builds with more expanded spell list (compare wolf warmage 16/sandshaper 1/prestige bard 2/full casting class 1 to wolf warmage 5/rainbow servant 10/full casting class 5).

Good point, I was forgetting what multi-classing tricks would be cut off going that deep in.

Where can I find new spells and magic items?

They are in the summary thread. Here is the spell post, items right below.

Bear sub levels are also fleshed out, though they may not be quite as great as the Wolf ones, I was getting tired when I finished them up.  :lol

SKRP

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2010, 07:15:40 AM »
I have mixed feelings about the bear crusader. Obviously, racial substitution levels fits the theme of the tough animal. The ability to add bonus to saves and AC is useful (strong and eventually can be shared with allies), but unimpressive. Moreover, the bear crusader loses his offensive edge. What do you think about access to the Tiger Claw discipline? It would reflect more ferocious nature of bear crusaders. Also, go the whole hog (or bear) and give bear crusaders d12 hit dice.

I really dislike bear druidic avenger. Bull rush through forest? In my opinion, it should be replaced with something more 'bearish'. What about the ability to treat "Bear's Endurance" as 1st level spell and to cast it spontaneously? Or to freely cast spells with somatic components in grapple?

I saw boar totemist. Woah! Nothing that strong, but really nice. You could change flat +15 bonus from Totem's Disguise to 10 plus totemist's level, but it's a little balance issue.

@Ribbon Dance
you gain an insight bonus equal to twice your Charisma bonus.
- bonus to what?

Mundane items are essence of coolness. I especially like the idea behind flamesticks, but the rest is also phenomenal.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 07:20:38 AM by SKRP »

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2010, 08:18:44 AM »
I have mixed feelings about the bear crusader. Obviously, racial substitution levels fits the theme of the tough animal. The ability to add bonus to saves and AC is useful (strong and eventually can be shared with allies), but unimpressive. Moreover, the bear crusader loses his offensive edge. What do you think about access to the Tiger Claw discipline? It would reflect more ferocious nature of bear crusaders. Also, go the whole hog (or bear) and give bear crusaders d12 hit dice.

The point of the trade is to sacrifice a bit of the offense, especially since Bear's are so good at it anyway. Really though, I think you're overestimating what is given up in that switch. He loses 6 damage and +6 to hit for 7 AC and +7 to all saves. And I thought they already had d12, :lol.

Also, you should look at the Earth's Fury PrC that this is pretty much made to dovetail into, it gives d12 HD, awesome defenses as well as new offensive boosts, and sidesteps the need to rely on granted maneuvers. Most synergisticly, imo, is the ability to cause damage equal to twice the amount you are currently injured for

I really dislike bear druidic avenger. Bull rush through forest?...What about the ability to treat "Bear's Endurance" as 1st level spell and to cast it spontaneously? Or to freely cast spells with somatic components in grapple?

It replaces Track. Small thing for a small thing.

In my opinion, it should be replaced with something more 'bearish'.

And a charging mass of fur pushing and slamming around smaller creatures seems very Bear-like to me.

Though perhaps overrun would be more fitful... Neither is really a great mechanic... Hrmm, can either be combined with Trample? That's kind of the image I'm going for with that ability.

@Ribbon Dance
you gain an insight bonus equal to twice your Charisma bonus.
- bonus to what?

To the Perform (Dance) check that you're using the Ribbon as part of.

Mundane items are essence of coolness. I especially like the idea behind flamesticks, but the rest is also phenomenal.

Awesome awesome. I tried to make weapons that were actually worth a feat without being better than others if you used them without the feat. lol

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2010, 11:23:58 AM »
Boar, Fox and Viper sub levels added.