Author Topic: What Counts as "Longbow"?  (Read 9999 times)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: What Counts as "Longbow"?
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2009, 02:26:20 PM »
With this logic a Ford drives *completely* differently than a Chevy. No similarity *at all*...

Or a pen with blue ink *must* use special paper that a pen with black ink *can't* use...
As sad as that is, I'd probably say that he'd agree with that, yeah.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

DaveoftheRave

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2009, 02:43:33 PM »
@ DaveoftheRave -- He's not trying to accomplish anything with the rule, he just has his own rules, and way of thinking. His reasoning is, is that they're different as stated above. That you couldn't possibly use both accurately because of how different they are.

Then all he is accomplishing with the rule (and seemingly all/most of his houserules) is to make the game less enjoyable for you and the other players.

So it is a bad rule.

My houserule on Weapon Focus is that it counts for all of the weapons you are proficient with.  Otherwise you essentially lose proficiency in all other weapons.  It also doesn't even increase the power, it just gives you more options which is a good thing.

Prak, the Mad

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2009, 08:27:24 PM »
man that sucks. It's never fun having to cut ties with friends.

What about seeing if someone else in the group wants to run a game?

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2009, 09:01:06 PM »
man that sucks. It's never fun having to cut ties with friends.

What about seeing if someone else in the group wants to run a game?
The guy the used to DM is retired, and just wants to play. Apparently he was always the DM, and got tired of it. I can understand that. Sometimes you want to be on the other side of things, enjoying it with the rest of the group instead of having to come up with things to attack them with. The youngest of the group is just that, the youngest. He's also the most busiest out of all of us with full time school (which means fun exams), and a job. The guy that's currently our cleric, works double shifts sometimes, and isn't looking to DM anyways. He's not a storytelling kind of person. I used to be a GM, but I couldn't handle these guys. They're too randomly chaotic. Just like their characters.

jamestguy

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2009, 09:46:45 PM »
Yeah I'd say quit. Also seconding the city name, I need a game for the summer when I get home from college.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2009, 09:47:27 PM »
Yeah I'd say quit. Also seconding the city name, I need a game for the summer when I get home from college.
I don't even know if I'm in the same country. Brandon, Manitoba, Canada.

jamestguy

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2009, 10:13:52 PM »

I don't even know if I'm in the same country. Brandon, Manitoba, Canada.

Yeah that's a bit far from Colorado, USA. Oh, to have a private jet. From what I've seen on the internet, though, the world lives in Canada, so there's still hope.

But seriously, I'd take play-by-post over nonsensical make-the-game-worse houserules. No fun (quitting) is better than unfun (the game), and mild amusement (pbp or World of Warcraft) beats them both.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 01:47:52 AM by jamestguy »

ZeroSpace

• Email
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2009, 12:18:54 AM »
Brandon Manitoba? Damn that's out in the boonies. And here I thought I had troubles finding a game.

Sadly, you're a little to distant to let you play in my games, since I'm about 3 provinces west of you. That said, I second the suggestion of PbP. It's kinda sluggish compared to PnP, but better than the alternative.
YAY! I get to go to the SPECIAL hell!

"The picks aren't breaking through, sir!"
"Alright men, time to break out the greatswords!"

"You may not make money being a bad-ass!"
-My DM

AlterFrom

• Donkey Kong
  • Super Special Awesome
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2009, 12:24:58 AM »
There's also the option of using a Virtual TableTop. Speedier than PbP, but it comes with its own set of hassles (and rewards).
Siggy
[spoiler]TIRED OF TRYING TO MANAGE FILES ACROSS SEVERAL COMPUTERS? GET DROPBOX AND SIMPLIFY THE PROCESS!

xkcd. It Rocks.

Tick, tock, Tick, tock...

FYI: I lose a couple years off my life anytime I see I have a PM.

We're ALL rules lawyers here. The BEST at what we do, too. It's like a Tom Grisham novel in which everybody at the top law firm is a dirty crook, but they all know the rules so well that TECHNICALLY speaking, they aren't breaking them...:eh

[/spoiler]

Mushroom Ninja

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2009, 02:29:10 PM »
With this logic a Ford drives *completely* differently than a Chevy. No similarity *at all*...

Or a pen with blue ink *must* use special paper that a pen with black ink *can't* use...

Yikes, that's tough.  Any chance in getting him to OK Weapon Group Proficiencies?

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2009, 02:30:09 PM »

Yikes, that's tough.  Any chance in getting him to OK Weapon Group Proficiencies?
I'm hoping so, yeah, but I'm definitely not holding my breath on that one.

Tetsubo

• Email
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2009, 10:33:09 AM »
From the SRD:

"Weapon Proficiency: Elves receive the Martial Weapon Proficiency feats for the longsword, rapier, longbow (including composite longbow), and shortbow (including composite shortbow) as bonus feats."

Elves are skilled in both the traditional longbow, a self-bow and the composite bow. They use entirely different methods of construction and they shoot quite a bit different. A composite bow can in fact be 'tuned' during construction to have a number of different final characteristics. This difference, between a standard longbow and a composite longbow, would be no different than the difference between a longbow and an aquatic longbow. If an Elf can effectively ignore the difference between a self-bow and a composite bow, the difference between a longbow and an aquatic longbow would be trivial.

Shove that into your GM's pipe and have him smoke it.

This twit has annoyed me...

TheWordSlinger

• Bi-Curious George
  • Nunc est bibendum
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2009, 11:16:00 AM »
From the SRD:

"Weapon Proficiency: Elves receive the Martial Weapon Proficiency feats for the longsword, rapier, longbow (including composite longbow), and shortbow (including composite shortbow) as bonus feats."

Elves are skilled in both the traditional longbow, a self-bow and the composite bow. They use entirely different methods of construction and they shoot quite a bit different. A composite bow can in fact be 'tuned' during construction to have a number of different final characteristics. This difference, between a standard longbow and a composite longbow, would be no different than the difference between a longbow and an aquatic longbow. If an Elf can effectively ignore the difference between a self-bow and a composite bow, the difference between a longbow and an aquatic longbow would be trivial.

I'll need some clarification from KV before I weigh in on this. Is your DM making you get a separate [Weapon Specific Feat of your choice] for Longbow and Aquatic Longbow for above water uses? If this is the case, then I'd be in the agreement with the majority. However, once you try to use that longbow under water, it becomes a horse of a different color.
Also, as far as Tetsubo's response goes, I'd have to disagree. By your logic, using a rapier is no different from using a shortbow. Just because a race trains with two different weapons does not mean that those two weapons have any similarities.
Currently playing:
Forte Lulz, Chaotic EVIL Bard bent on world domination;
Canere Potentia, to sing of power.
Aralaxax, Warforged Osteomancer, Machines are my people, I wield bones as other wield swords.
Randall Gray, she's not sexually confused, honest!
Zion "I can make followers, but why bother when people line up for me?"
Currently DMing: Real Men Use Their Hands, World's Largest Dungeon
"If you can pretend to be a half-orc barbarian or a dwarf wizard then you can pretend to be an alpha male."-Ninjarabbit
"The hotel shop only had two decent books, and I'd written both of them."-Douglas Adams
"It's funny how the Earth never opens up and swallows you when you want it to." Xander Harris, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2009, 02:18:20 PM »
I'll need some clarification from KV before I weigh in on this. Is your DM making you get a separate [Weapon Specific Feat of your choice] for Longbow and Aquatic Longbow for above water uses?
Yes he is. Weapon Focus (Aquatic Longbow), and Weapon Focus (Elvencraft Longbow).

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2009, 02:51:55 PM »
From the SRD:

I'll need some clarification from KV before I weigh in on this. Is your DM making you get a separate [Weapon Specific Feat of your choice] for Longbow and Aquatic Longbow for above water uses? If this is the case, then I'd be in the agreement with the majority. However, once you try to use that longbow under water, it becomes a horse of a different color.
Also, as far as Tetsubo's response goes, I'd have to disagree. By your logic, using a rapier is no different from using a shortbow. Just because a race trains with two different weapons does not mean that those two weapons have any similarities.
See, that's not how I viewed it. The important text states that longbows include composite longbows, and implies this as the norm. If longbows include composite longbows, why don't they include aquatic longbows?
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2009, 02:53:45 PM »
Because, according to the DM, the aquatic longbow is a new bow proficiency that the aquatic elf automatically gets. Separate proficency, separate weapon focus tree.

Tetsubo

• Email
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2009, 07:16:28 PM »
From the SRD:

But the longbow and the composite longbow are listed as essentially *being* the same weapon for an Elf. The shortbow and rapier are list as separate items. Apples to oranges.

TheWordSlinger

• Bi-Curious George
  • Nunc est bibendum
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2009, 11:33:35 PM »
From the SRD:

But the longbow and the composite longbow are listed as essentially *being* the same weapon for an Elf. The shortbow and rapier are list as separate items. Apples to oranges.

No, the longbow and composite longbow are both listed as weapons that an elf has received rudimentary training with. When an elf takes Weapon Focus (Longbow), does he receive the +1 to hit when using a composite longbow?
Currently playing:
Aralaxax, Warforged Osteomancer, Machines are my people, I wield bones as other wield swords.
"If you can pretend to be a half-orc barbarian or a dwarf wizard then you can pretend to be an alpha male."-Ninjarabbit
"The hotel shop only had two decent books, and I'd written both of them."-Douglas Adams
"It's funny how the Earth never opens up and swallows you when you want it to." Xander Harris, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2009, 11:37:41 PM »
No, the longbow and composite longbow are both listed as weapons that an elf has received rudimentary training with. When an elf takes Weapon Focus (Longbow), does he receive the +1 to hit when using a composite longbow?

Yes. Yes he does.

Quote from: SRD
For purposes of weapon proficiency and similar feats, a composite longbow is treated as if it were a longbow.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

TheWordSlinger

• Bi-Curious George
  • Nunc est bibendum
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2009, 12:25:36 AM »

Yes. Yes he does.

Quote from: SRD
For purposes of weapon proficiency and similar feats, a composite longbow is treated as if it were a longbow.
Huh, I stand corrected should probably actually read the 3.5 weapon section sometime...
However, I still maintain that it's not completely unreasonable to require separate weapon feats for using an Aquatic Longbow to fire sea arrows underwater.
Currently playing: