Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer  (Read 344206 times)

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer
« Reply #720 on: September 11, 2008, 04:06:24 PM »
It is actually for use in a non-D&D d20 campaign setting (Wheel of Time).  The +10 ft speed of an Algi'dsiswai (think like the Barb's +10 ft speed) only provides for an 8-mile per day bonus in speed.  I was hoping for an easily-transferable feat to help boost their endurance, as the 'wetlanders' in the series are always amazed at the speed at which the Aiel maintain a march for hours on end; a speed that tires a non-Aiel within a half-hour or so.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #721 on: September 11, 2008, 04:17:20 PM »
Then create an Aiel racial feat ? Or add it as a racial bonus.
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #722 on: September 11, 2008, 08:14:37 PM »
Then create an Aiel racial feat ? Or add it as a racial bonus.

Aiel are a society of humans.  It's just that their warriors are practiced in moving quickly all the time.  If you are a practiced marathon runner, you can maintain a hustle for more than just an hour.  That's the effect I'm going for.

Just to clarify, the world record marathon runner completed 26.22 miles in 2h04:26.  That's the equivalent of moving 111.198 ft/round.  That's faster than a hustle for someone with a speed of 50 ft (ie - running)  And they kept it up for over 2 hours.

Now, I will fully admit that such an individual is fatigued at the end of such a race, and probably became fatigued well before the end of the marathon (many describe hitting a wall in the 18th mile; a little over 2/3 of the way through the race).  But even the 18th mile is over an hour into such a race, and I'm sure that a marathoner who hustled for an hour, and then walked for a bit, and then hustled for another hour, would be fine.

Thus the reason for me looking for rules for this.  Yes, it is specifically for this one campaign setting, but it could apply to D&D as well.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #723 on: September 11, 2008, 08:45:25 PM »
I know Aiels :) but you're right I should've said regional feat instead of racial feat. (They come from different "genetic stock" given their striking physical features but they're humans too.) I honestly think it's the best solution.

I just searched for 'hustle' in the Crystalkeep feat index and found nothing of the sort. Good luck.

ZeroSum

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #724 on: September 11, 2008, 08:46:57 PM »
So just make a [Regional] feat for it?
Do it by calculating how far you think they should move in a day (from memory I think you'd need to use the light horse as a base).  Then make it so that they can hustle for 8 hours as if forced marching (or similar numbers -- so they still have to make saves to keep it up all day long but they can do it).  And give them an enhancement bonus to speed as necessary for the numbers to work.

If the numbers fall short without giving them an absurd enhancement bonus then make them hustle at x3 speed instead of x2.  (Alongside whatever enhancement is necessary.)

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #725 on: September 11, 2008, 09:29:43 PM »
Yeah, I suppose those could work.  I was just hoping there was something already published that I could mate with it easily.  I'll have to play with it.

Archmage Joda

• Bi-Curious George
  • Parenchaaaaaaaaaannn!!!
    • Email
« Reply #726 on: September 12, 2008, 02:54:47 AM »
Q 275: With the Simulacrum spell, if you make a copy of yourself, can you add more HD to it by increasing your caster level? Or by some other means?
"My advanced brain is far too meaty to be swayed. Plus, it's practically dripping with genius sauce made from a special recipe of 11 herbs and spices" - Black Mage

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #727 on: September 12, 2008, 03:20:36 AM »
A 275 Increasing the CL won't work since it's keyed off of HD/level. A bard with Inspire Greatness could give you 2 more HDs temporarily, so that's one extra HD for the Simulacrum - but an uninteresting one.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #728 on: September 12, 2008, 03:48:30 AM »
Q276: If someone with levels in Illithid Savant casts Fission or Body Outside Body or something to that effect, and eats his own brain, can he gain spellcasting from himself, getting an extra spell slot of each level he has access to? Or do his abilities gained from eating his brain not stack with themselves?

Yes, I know Illithid Savant has much more broken possibilities, but I may be playing one soon and I don't want to entirely smash the campaign.

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #729 on: September 12, 2008, 06:45:33 AM »
Q277
HOW do the Steadfast boots work. (MIC  138)

The relevant passage reads:
Furthermore, as long as you carry a
two-handed weapon, you are treated as if
you had readied that weapon against any
creature that charges you (and thus it deals
double damage if your attack is successful),
even if the weapon can't normally be
set against a charge.

Now I don't get this. So I'm running about, carrying my two-handed weapon in my hands, but I am ambushed and flat-footed. Someone charges me, so I miraculously get a standard action (because readying against charge is readying a standard action) attack against the charging character or critter, and get to deal double damage. And this works multiple times, for every critter that charges me.

Another example: I win initiative, use up my full-round action. Then someone charges me, hey, I get another standard action to hit them, and deal double damage.

That seems REALLY unbalanced for the price. Contingent Celerity isn't even that good. A lvl 2 char can afford these boots, and you don't even lose anything next round. The only thing that happens is that it mucks with your initiative, because it changes for every time you get your free readied action.

Also, if it happens before your turn, you lose your standard action, because then your readied action counts.

What do you guys think? I am right with my interpretation? Do they really work like that?

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #730 on: September 12, 2008, 10:46:12 AM »
A 277 I discussed this briefly with Khan some time ago. He told me it worked like you said and that CustServ had confirmed it (I never asked for proof), which I agree is absurd.

I think they were intended to allow you to ready any two-handed weapon against a charge - as opposed to only longspears and a few others. But the wording is atrocious.
Given their price and their other ability I feel this is the balanced choice personally. YMMV.

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
  • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    • Email
« Reply #731 on: September 12, 2008, 01:22:21 PM »
Q 278 Does anyone know how "+ Bard Level" Effects (such as the vest of legends) stack with prestige bard?

Also, as a note to the prior question, it technically says "carrying"  Meaning that you don't have to be wielding it, having it in your backpack is just fine, by a literal reading.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 01:24:08 PM by Operation Shoestring »

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #732 on: September 12, 2008, 01:46:56 PM »
Q 278 Does anyone know how "+ Bard Level" Effects (such as the vest of legends) stack with prestige bard?

Also, as a note to the prior question, it technically says "carrying"  Meaning that you don't have to be wielding it, having it in your backpack is just fine, by a literal reading.

...Terrible... death backpack...

A278: Technically, the Vest would do nothing for a Prestige Bard since it is a separate class from the Bard. The Vest of Legends improves your "inspire courage, fascinate, inspire greatness, and inspire heroics abilities" by 5 levels of Bard. That said, it isn't unreasonable to extend this to the Prestige Bard, in my opinion, especially considering the fact that the DM is suggested to remove the standard class forms in a game where the Prestige versions are allowed.
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Vattic

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #733 on: September 12, 2008, 07:18:22 PM »
if i had a character that specialized in throwing a boomerang, and i had multiple attacks per round, could i use a full attack and throw it multiple times in the same round if i had it enchanted with the returning ability first?

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #734 on: September 12, 2008, 07:27:31 PM »
A279 No. Returning weapons comes back before your next turn, not before additional attacks in the same turn. Bloodstorm Blade 4 grants the ability you want.
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #735 on: September 12, 2008, 07:41:43 PM »
A 279b There's also a PsyWar power that does the same (RotW/CPsi).

Vattic

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #736 on: September 12, 2008, 08:01:26 PM »
so short of taking class levels, i'm screwed, eh? i figured as much. thanks again guys.

Archmage Joda

• Bi-Curious George
  • Parenchaaaaaaaaaannn!!!
    • Email
« Reply #737 on: September 12, 2008, 08:27:28 PM »
Q 280:With Red Wizard's Circle Magic to bump up level checks (not caster level, just regular level checks), does this count as making your level higher for purposes of Simulacrum and similar HD dependent effects?
"My advanced brain is far too meaty to be swayed. Plus, it's practically dripping with genius sauce made from a special recipe of 11 herbs and spices" - Black Mage

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #738 on: September 12, 2008, 11:22:36 PM »
A 280 No. A level is a fixed value ; a check is a die (dice) + a modifier.

Vattic

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #739 on: September 12, 2008, 11:25:19 PM »
can you combine the feat boomerang ricochet with the class ability two with one blow from the master thrower class? if so, what would that attack routine look like? right now i palm throw two boomerangs (DM is allowing boomerangs to count for this) then they both ricochet as per the feat, but then what? does two with one blow make them hit the original targets again, or do they find new targets, or are they even usable together at all? thanks in advance  :D