Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer  (Read 344206 times)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2008, 01:37:01 PM »
Q15: How do I do outline (recursive) lists?
Like this?
  • Item 1
    • Item 1a
    • Item 1b
  • Item 2
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

CannibalSmith

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • COBoard Wiki
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2008, 01:52:19 PM »
Almost. How do I get rid of that extra black bullet of Item 1a?

ZeroSum

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2008, 01:55:29 PM »
  • Item 1
    • Item 1a
    • Item 1b
  • Item 2

Shadeseraph

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2008, 02:08:25 PM »
Q16: Can you emulate an empowered maximized twined repeated etc etc scorching ray with a Shadow evocation spell? I'm almost sure you can't do so, but as far as my reading goes, (at least from the SRD), it would be allowable... maybe the line "...of a sorcerer or wizard evocation spell..." would be the one disallowing it, but I'm not so sure.
[spoiler]
I hate mouth breathing fuckwits who go around spouting lies, even after being corrected on those lies, and that bait mods into helping to defend their wrongness and fail. I also hate the MBFs that don't understand the meaning of words, and that can't get a fucking clue.
Hey! I like spouting lies. It's very entertaining to observe how people on the internet are buffing their small egos by declaring victories over some stupid MBFs. :smirk
Also - I hate people who use too smart words that I don't understand. :mad

Hi Welcome

Go fuck yourself, because others won't do it for you.

Stop flirting you two.  :p
[/spoiler]

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2008, 03:14:06 PM »
Q17: can I Bull rush someone to the ground so I get the benefits of Dungeoncrasher?

CannibalSmith

• COBoard Wiki
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2008, 03:17:33 PM »
A17: No, because ground is not a wall.

Shigunaru

• I am your "friend"
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2008, 05:13:29 PM »
A 17:

The ability states "wall or any solid object". The floor is usually a solid object.
Posting guidelines. Read 'em. Use 'em. Love 'em.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2008, 05:19:06 PM »
A17b. The issue is that you either need to be above them or have an ability to direct the bullrush. If you can do either of those, yes. you can dungeoncrash them into the ground.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2008, 11:57:09 PM »
Q18 - if you buff your party with a spell, say... mass bear's endurance, and they walk through a Wall of Dispel Magic or a Dispelling Screen, does the buff get dispelled?

This should be simple but I'm AFB right now ~_~

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2008, 12:25:06 AM »
Q16: Can you emulate an empowered maximized twined repeated etc etc scorching ray with a Shadow evocation spell? I'm almost sure you can't do so, but as far as my reading goes, (at least from the SRD), it would be allowable... maybe the line "...of a sorcerer or wizard evocation spell..." would be the one disallowing it, but I'm not so sure.

Don't think there is a precedence for being able to emulate metamicked spells.

For instance, I don't think you are allowed to use limited wish to replicate a maximized fireball. Not that I see anything wrong with it, since its power lv is roughly in line with that of other 6th lv spells.

Q18 - if you buff your party with a spell, say... mass bear's endurance, and they walk through a Wall of Dispel Magic or a Dispelling Screen, does the buff get dispelled?

Each would have to make a separate opposed dispel check to see if they retain their buff, I think. I would interpret mass bull's str to mean that you are effectively casting the bull's str spell on each and every player, and there is no remaining connection to/with you. Thus, any dispel effect targeted at them would have a chance of dispelling it. It is not like they have to dispel you to get rid of a buff on someone else. :)
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2008, 12:25:44 PM »
Q19: Can you metamagic an arcane fusion spell so that both component spells are affected?
Q20: Can you make a magic item of arcane fusion that lets you cast any two spells together, or do you have to choose the spells when making it? Could a wizard use such an item?
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

CannibalSmith

• COBoard Wiki
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2008, 12:43:06 PM »
A19: Technically, no. Effectively, it depends. You can't, for example, Extend it because it's instant. But you can, say, Twin it and you will, effectively, have Twinned the component spells. You can Maximize it, but that will have no effect, because Arcane Fusion has no variable numeric stuffs.
A20: Custom magic items is DM territory. Talk to him.

pfooti

• Bi-Curious George
  • Pants are for Suckers
    • /castrandom - even we don't know what it's about
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2008, 02:16:35 PM »
Q21: Feat retraining, special case. What happens when you retrain a feat that affected levels you've had already? Specifically, in the case of the Ultimate Magus who uses practiced spellcaster on the beguiler side to make the first 2 UM single-progression levels advance the wizard casting, what happens if/when he retrains PS afterwards? Do wizard-advanced levels retroactively shift to beguiler-advancing? Do they stay the same?

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2008, 06:28:34 PM »
Q22: Can you combine the Great Flyby Attack feat (Savage Species) with the skirmish ability?
My work

pfooti

• Bi-Curious George
  • Pants are for Suckers
    • /castrandom - even we don't know what it's about
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2008, 06:34:16 PM »
Q22: Can you combine the Great Flyby Attack feat (Savage Species) with the skirmish ability?

A22: Don't see why not. Other feats, such as Manyshot, specifically say you don't add in precision damage to such stuff. The only caveat would be the weirdness associated with what happens when the first person you hit is less than 10' away (or 20 with improved skirmish), since you're only supposed to be rolling damage once.

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2008, 09:59:10 PM »
Q23: Are there any abilities (other than contingent spells) that trigger whenever you heal/gain hit points?
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Hezor

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2008, 09:35:16 AM »
A23a - Imbued Healing, CC pg60

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2008, 04:40:00 PM »
Q21: Feat retraining, special case. What happens when you retrain a feat that affected levels you've had already? Specifically, in the case of the Ultimate Magus who uses practiced spellcaster on the beguiler side to make the first 2 UM single-progression levels advance the wizard casting, what happens if/when he retrains PS afterwards? Do wizard-advanced levels retroactively shift to beguiler-advancing? Do they stay the same?

A21:
That's a good question...  I'm not completely sure, but I'd wager that you keep the advanced wizard casting.
I'm AFB atm so I'll edit this if I find something that says otherwise...

If that's the case: Great find!

Meaningless Epiphony

« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2008, 09:46:04 PM »
Q24  Does the second level swordsage ability, AC Bonus, allow you to get the said bonus using a buckler?  The Daring Outlaw build by DrObviousSo lists the build getting wisdom to ac and has improved buckler defense.  Thanks, my google-fu really blows goats.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2008, 09:48:40 PM »
A24: The description of Swordsage's AC bonus specifically states that it only works while you are *not* using a shield and are unencumbered and wear light armor. I think CustServ has clarified it to work without an armor too, but it as per RAW, it doesn't work with a shield.

Handy Links