Author Topic: The Prologue (1941) - Part I  (Read 98331 times)

jacemachine

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Powered by Coffee. Driven by Insanity--
    • MySpace, not yours.
    • Email
Re: The Prologue (1941)
« Reply #760 on: July 09, 2009, 02:12:11 AM »

Monday June, 9th 1941
Dusk along the river

[Okay, now that we have a map (though no locations are listed yet :blush) you can move around the boat more freely. Russo, where were you thinking of setting up your guns?]

[spoiler][/spoiler]

The Halcon was a large boat, made of wood, and powered by a steam-boiler in its belly. It chugged along the muddy waters of the river with a steady pace, as the jungle passed by along the banks of either side.

The rear deck was open, but covered in an oiled canvas tarp. It kept the rain at bay, and helped keep the pack mules dry... as well as Esteban and Paco who had taken a crate, and had gotten a card game going with The Kid. The mules had been tied to the wooden railing that fenced in the area under the tarped-roof.

The inner cabin on the top deck (forecastle?) was divided into two compartments; front and back. The one closest to the rear held a few crates, extra rope, and a hammock that Pingo laid down in the moment they had put some distance between them and the forlorn town of Orino Perro.

The front compartment held the stairs leading down to the lower deck, as well as the dual wooden stairs that lead up to the wheelhouse above. Windows gave a good view of the jungle from the inside, through wooden slatted blinds in both compartments. A mounted head of some sort of jungle deer was on display above the door leading out to the front of the boat, glass eyes stared blindly out at the compartments occupants.

Bones turned the wheel over to Russo after giving him explicit directions for how to take the next part of the river, Russo seemed to put him at ease with his initial handling of the wheel.

Bones excused himself and made his way down the wheelhouse stairs, then down the stairs to the lower deck.

"I have a bar in the salon, if anyone is interested, That keg the ladies in 'Perro gave us is full of their local jungle moonshine. It's strong stuff, if any of you think you'll have trouble sleeping tonight. I'm going down for a glass of brandy, myself." He said disappearing below.

A hall ran along the port side of the boat along the timbered bulkhead. It smelled faintly of old cigars. The front of the boat held Bone's quarters. He had a large room that was located directly below the fore deck. A hatch opened between the decks here, but was currently sealed tight against the rain. Bones furnished the room with a reasonable sized bed, a wardrobe, nightstand with an oil lamp, a dresser, and a large cedar chest.

The next room had to be the salon. Double doors opened inwards from the hall showing a very comfortable lounge style room. A leather couch, a circular padded seat with a circular gaming table, a couple of wooden chairs, and a fully stocked bar outfitted the room, in addition to numerous strange trinkets Bones picked up over the years and had on display. A door led to Bones' own room in addition to an open doorway that showed some sort of galley area.

The galley was humble. A wood stove. A table, three chairs, and stocked cabinets filled the small room. Another door led back into the hall from here.

Beside the galley was a narrow room that contained two bunk beds built into the room itself. Four beds altogether, but with odd, mismatched blankets, sheets, and pillowcases. The top rear bed looks like it's spoken for-- a stack of Pulp magazine, and an American comic book sat waiting for their owner to come back. A pin-up girl wearing a tight yellow top and nearly nothing else smiled seductively from the cover of an issue of FLIRT magazine that was tacked to the wall near the top bunk. A caption on the cover read:  In this issue: Broadways Famous Fannys!

The rear of the boat contained the engine compartment, a dismantled bomb lays on the floor still where it had been left by Max and the Sarge. The boiler itself ran of firewood-- stacks of which sat outside of the room, just below a set of two hatches where they could easily be restocked from.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 07:50:01 PM by jacemachine »
Current PbP Games
The Artifact (Prologue) as GM
[d20M] Isle Noir: Bad Karma as GM

The Good, the Bad, and the Undead, playing as Father Ezekiel Ambrose

"When the GM smiles, it's already too late." --Anonymous Doomed Gamer

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
« Reply #761 on: July 09, 2009, 06:44:49 AM »
Wrapping up the broken shards of the once priceless ancient dagger, Loder stands up and follows Bones downstairs.  "A brandy sounds just about perfect right now."
PbP Games
The Artifact (prologue) as Dr. Henry Loder, Mayan archaeologist

Neull//

« Reply #762 on: July 09, 2009, 11:59:42 AM »

jacemachine

• MySpace, not yours.
    • Email
« Reply #763 on: July 09, 2009, 02:22:10 PM »
Downstairs, Bones stands at his bar. It is clear that he is a man of taste from his wide selection of alcohol. He pours three glasses, two Brandy, and one with the local 'shine-- "Here you go fellas. The best that I have to offer!" he holds his own glass up to the others, "After today, we NEED this." He takes a good sized swig--

He sits down at the chess board, in rounded couch in the corner. Behind him a series of empty bottles are displayed-- likely a collection that had grown over a series of drunken nights--

"So Doc, Zaikara give you a gift? I don't think I saw what it was? Anything interesting?"
Current PbP Games

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
« Reply #764 on: July 09, 2009, 02:38:22 PM »
Putting down his brandy, Loder reaches into his bag and pulls out the book he was given.  "It's a fairly well-known book written by some of the first explorers in the area.  It's more or less required reading for anyone in my field.  I'm sure it'll prove useful for our pathfinders once we get downriver.  This particular copy used to belong to our man Dunning.  The old woman kept it after he died."

Loder hands the book over to Harrison and takes another slow sip from his drink.
PbP Games

jacemachine

• MySpace, not yours.
    • Email
« Reply #765 on: July 09, 2009, 02:50:57 PM »
"Really?" Bones said turning the book over in his hands. It was worn, and well-loved. "I had no clue that he'd left anything behind there-- I can't believe that over these past few years no one mentioned this to me..."

He looked at the book a moment longer before popping it open. Inside, handwritten annotations made by the man Albert Dunning himself. A folded slip of paper fell out, and landed on the floor. Bones didn't seem to notice, as he continued to look through the book.
Current PbP Games

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
« Reply #766 on: July 09, 2009, 02:57:23 PM »
Loder bends down to pick up the piece of paper that fell from Dunning's book.  "What's this?"

Carefully unfolding the yellowed paper, Loder gasps at the sight that he beholds...
PbP Games

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #767 on: July 09, 2009, 05:45:34 PM »
Richard finds a comfortable place to sit on the deck of the boat and keeps watch, rifle at the ready.
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

Tarotdragoon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • a scarily accurate self protrait... no seriously
    • Email
« Reply #768 on: July 09, 2009, 09:54:21 PM »

standing comfortably at the wheel Russo concentrates on the helm and where he was going thinking about home and his old plane.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

"Go Beyond The Impossible, and kick reason to the curb! That's the Die Gurren way!!"
"Whether it's laughable or irrational
This is the path that ALL great men walk!
If there's a wall in our way, we'll destroy it!
If there's no road, we'll pave it with our bear hands!
The magma in our hearts is blazing like flames!"

ORE GA DARE DA TO OMOTE YARU!!!!!!

jacemachine

• MySpace, not yours.
    • Email
« Reply #769 on: July 10, 2009, 01:07:21 AM »
"What?" Bones said looking up from the book. "What is it?"
He raised an eyebrow in curiosity, while taking another swig from his drink.
Current PbP Games

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
« Reply #770 on: July 10, 2009, 01:22:03 AM »
Stammering slightly, Loder exclaims.  "This must be what the Nazis were looking for when they dug up Dunning's grave!  Look!"

He holds out the aged piece of paper which had been in the book.  On the paper, what appeared to be written with a quill pen in blood, was a hand drawn map and notes on distances and landmarks.
PbP Games

jacemachine