Author Topic: The First Thread (Read Me)  (Read 1767 times)

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
The First Thread (Read Me)
« on: January 08, 2009, 04:32:09 AM »
This will be where I get the Basics of the game down when I can.

If you are a visitor please feel free to post in the Peanut Gallery, please do not post elsewhere.
Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
Re: The First Thread (Read Me)
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 03:54:47 AM »
Scene Framing
Play will be carried out in scenes some of the scenes will be set up by me the GM but most will be set by the players.  Since this is a PbP game each player will be able to do a scene all at the same time (or be in a scene together). 

The way you call for a scene is by saying the W's.  With NPC's You say who, what, where, when and most importantly why the scene takes place.  All scenes have a goal or at least a reason.

With another player you say who and why, they get to say when and where.  They may not say no, but they control when and where.

When a scene is started it ends when the highest ranking person in that scene wants it to.  That person will be established at the beginning of the scene.  The person who gets to end the scene is obligated to use that power to his advantage.   If you do not want them to end a scene you may make one test to try and stop them.  But you would have to accept the stakes they offer to roll.

Play
The way play works is the players will state what they intend to do, I will respond by saying either 'yes' and it happens or we will roll a conflict.  So it is clear, you don't actually do anything until after I say yes or we roll (but once I say yes or a roll is made the deed is done).  That's because this is a beginner game and you are not expected to know the rules 100% yet.  So in this game you will hear what the obstacle and stakes are before you decide to go on.

If I say yes, I will describe everything that happens in addition to what you asked for.  In general the GM fills in all additional details, so if you want something specific to happen you should ask for it.

The reverse will also happen.  If I say something and you don't want it to happen you can ask for a test, and state what you want (I may just change it to what you want by saying yes).  And yes, you can interrupt something mid paragraph.   

All conflicts are resolved by rolling a test.

Setting Stakes
If you want to do something I may say "OK we have a Test here of X vs Y" you would then say what you wanted the outcome to be.  I would tell you the obstacle and tell you what the penalty for failure is.  This is your chance to back out.  You then either say yes or change what you want, you also say if you want to spend artha or work carefully.  Then the roll is made.

Once a roll is made, it is done. You cannot try until you succeed and you cannot be forced to try till you fail.  All results stand for the rest of the scene if not longer.

This also means if one person rolls for something no one else may try as well.  Like I could not talk my way in so you try.  If you want to work together there are helping rolls.  Yes this means that people may cock block you by rolling their crappy stat when you could use your awesome one. 

When two players conflict each says what they want, then the GM may add further penalties for failure. 

The GM can also say that you cannot get a particular success, but once one has been agreed on the results will ride.

Circles and Resources
Some scenes will be predicated by making a circles check.  For example if you want to talk to a vintner, roll circles. 

Once an NPC has been names the "Conservation of NPCs" goes into effect.  If you want a blacksmith and a blacksmith has been named, that's who you roll for.  And you cannot create a trivially different NPC. 

Other uses for artha
Doing stuff in the past - Remember all things are yes or roll.  (this is circumvented by instincts)  Did you remember that paper on the dukes desk?  yes or roll.

However you will be able to do things in the past by spending artha
1 fate to do something in the past that does not require a test
1 persona to do something in the past that requires a single test (this artha counts towards that test)
1 deeds to do an entire scene in the past. (this artha counts towards one test taken)

You can spend a persona to mitigate a lethal failure, you may also spend a persona to mitigate a social disaster. 

If you want to intrude on a scene of another character
1 fate if no roll is needed - the scene is taking place in the middle of the great hall
1 persona if a test is required (obviously you have to succeed at this test as well) - the scene is happening in a private nook
1 deeds if an extended series of tests is needed - the meeting is happening in a tower behind a guarded locked door.
Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009