Author Topic: 7th level build - FR Tiefling Rogue-ish character  (Read 2109 times)

Eymerich

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
7th level build - FR Tiefling Rogue-ish character
« on: September 07, 2010, 06:35:22 PM »
Hello everyone  :D

After a couple days spent lurking around and filling my head with any kind of possibility, option, feat, conundrum et cetera, I think that's the time to come to a conclusion.
I have to create a 7th level character for a 3.5 Forgotten Realms campaign that's going to start soon.
My base character idea comes from the UA rogue class option, replacing sneak with fighter bonus feats. Tiefling (I'd gladly keep the normal, LA+1 version) - nongood (CN would be best) - no particular restrictions about PrCs or equipment, even if I'd like to keep an eye for sense and background.
Yeah, background.
My basic idea would be a Thar spy/assassin/bodyguard of a wealthy pseudo-sheikh or the like who lost his job due to a complicated situation I won't mention here.
_edit_ : books allowed - any 3.5. I'd rather not use any Magazine or Web enhancement. After all, my current DM will have the last word on anything I'll use, but I'm not going to use resources that appear too remote from the usual rulebook, if you get my point.

What do you think? What would you do, or suggest?

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 06:38:09 PM by Eymerich »

weenog

• Grape ape
Re: 7th level build - FR Tiefling Rogue-ish character
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 07:00:00 PM »
I think trying to be a spy or assassin in the forgotten realms with no significant magic abilities is an exercise in futility.

How much do you really want those fighter bonus feats?

Have you considered exploiting your automatic proficiency with all martial weapons (it's an Outsider trait) to make qualifying for some sort of unusual gish setup easier?  Maybe beguiler/swiftblade (beguiler for the assload of skill points and great class skill list so you can still be rogue-y).

Yes I know Swiftblade is a web enhancement but it's not a drastically overpowering one, and it doesn't provide any especially alien abilities... shouldn't provoke any DM heart attacks.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 07:12:56 PM »
why not try something like this:

Tiefling

Rogue 2/ Warlock 4

Feats:
Point Blank Shot(Rogue bonus)
Precise Shot(Rogue Bonus)
1st lvl: Education
3rd lvl: Knowledge Devotion
6th lvl: Travel Devotion

Least Invocations:
All-seeing Eyes
Beguiling Influence
Baleful Utterance

good Skills, great Detection abilities, good social Abilities .... nice Combat Abilities .... useful abilities with Magic Items

:D

Eymerich

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 07:24:19 PM »
Good point. Didn't actually notice that Outsider trait...

Beguiler, actually, was my second option, that's still available... but I quite dropped it since my party probably will need some more physical aid.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 07:29:09 PM »
Physical as in withstanding blows, or physical as in killing with steel rather than spells?  Hmmm... I'm guessing the latter since rogue isn't very tough nor evasive even with the fighter bonus feats.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

dna1

• Hong Kong
  • Im not albino Im just from Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 02:51:12 AM »
so then are your going rogue or something more 'physical' ? if you want a mix, maybe do a factotum base. lots of options there
Slappin ho's like E-Honda

kurashu

• Donkey Kong
  • K?
    • Androgynous Moose Hippy
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 04:01:56 AM »
Swordsage is also a good option -- though, I don't know how far that falls from the usual rulebooks. An incarnate might be an interesting one as well, a 7th level tiefling incarnate does get telepathy 100ft. That's even farther from core though.

Just some thoughts. If you do go with the incarnate, look in Lords of Madness for Mindsight and Darkstalker (which you should take regardless).