Author Topic: Nerf Wars, homemade guns  (Read 6074 times)

Prak, the Mad

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Nerf Wars, homemade guns
« on: April 19, 2009, 10:00:37 PM »
Alright, so my ex girlfriend, now just friend will be moving to a huge piece of property which will be perfect for a bunch of people running around shooting each other in the face with nerf guns, which is exactrly what she plans on doing.

What I want to do is create a nerf Minigun.

Now, I think this is certainly possible, but it requires knowledge of how a minigun functions (which I'm working on, I found it on Wiki, and have the basic idea), and knowledge of the workings of nerf guns (which isn't difficult).

there is a nerf machine gun, called the vulcan, it actually uses 6 D batteries and an ammo belt. If anyone knows the interior workings of this gun and can explain them, I think that'd be key to this design. I need to know how it repressurizers after each shot and feeds in a new dart. Once I know that, I need to adapt it to a six barrel rotating design.

Solely mounted emplacement, or man-portable, doesn't matter, I'd like to walk down the field carrying this thing mowing opponents down, but that's not a big deal.

So, with the collection of nerds, geeks, and, I believe, military personel we've got here, anyone able to help out?

Prak, the Mad

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Re: Nerf Wars, homemade guns
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 11:28:32 PM »
yeah I've been poking around nerf haven, and while I was (for some stupid reason) thinking of completely homebrewing a nerf minigun, it looks like just a straight vulcan mod would be possible. It's already got everything I need except the rotating barrels, so once that's on, and it gets repainted in a palatable way, it works.

The vulcan's already got stationary and man portable options, so there's that, it's got the chainsaw style upper handle to control the thing when hand held, everything, so I think I'm going to work on getting a vulcan and modding it.

Really all I've got to do is take a six barrel cylinder, like the Maverick's chamber, lengthen the chambers into true barrels, ...and fuck, probably just mount that onto the belt feeder. I might have to beef up said feeder to handle the extra weight, but it should work. The way the vulcan handles the belt is pretty akin to a real minigun anyway, it just does it one dart at a time. (and it doesn't unlink the darts, and it doesn't have to extract and eject shells, and...)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 11:43:26 PM by Prak, the Mad »

Johannixx

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 11:17:06 PM »
The feed pawls shouldn't need any beefing, unless you plan to use the belts loose.  I've found that it has plenty of power to feed from the belt box, but not enough to feed from a free-hanging 25-round belt.  Out of curiosity, why do you want a minigun configuration?  The whole point of rotating multiple barrels is to slow the buildup of heat from high rate-of-fire weapons.  Nerf darts don't even contact the 'barrel', so there's little point, other than aesthetics.  Then again, half the fun of nerf weaponry is making it look badass, so... :)

I just got a Vulcan last week, and it's a lot of fun.  It looks badass sitting on its tripod atop my office cube, and my co-workers with their Mavericks and the occasional Longshot are just plain outgunned.  I just need some more belts.

Prak, the Mad

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 11:43:17 PM »
yeah, the minigun configuration would just be for aesthetics, unless I could speed up the rate of fire, but... that's a bit over my head at the moment.conceivably the ammo box can be modified to hold larger belts, which is good because one of the more common mods for the vulcan is to connect belts.

Kari

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 01:24:40 AM »
I didnt find much while serching, but I did get these:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-your-own-Nerf-darts.-AKA:-Stefans./
I will say, for the record, these are awesome, and work wonders. (I have a modified nerf pistol I use these in. Great range and accuracy with the two combined.) I fully recommend, if you can, to use these for your nerf ammo. Always.