Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question 21: Dunkadooballs!  (Read 162150 times)

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
Re: Ask a Simple Question 21: Dunkadooballs!
« Reply #880 on: January 17, 2011, 07:02:59 AM »
Q227: What's a good heavy armor or armor material for a deflective armor character? Mithral disqualifies the feat and DR is way not worth it
Mithral Mountain Plate from Races of Stone.  On this kind of character it would be +11 AC and -5 ACP.  I'm sure there are other mods that reduce that ACP even further such that you can eat the non-proficiency penalties without problem.
I don't want mithral. It reduces the category to medium and so the feat doesn't work. I'm looking for either a stated magical heavy armor that's worth the price or a generic heavy armor material that is.
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #881 on: January 17, 2011, 07:13:41 AM »
Mithral Mountain Plate.  It's still heavy.

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #882 on: January 17, 2011, 10:30:08 AM »
Q228: How can you get the Planar Ally line on a Wizard's list? I know of Arcane Disciple (Summoner), but the wisdom requirement is annoying.
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #883 on: January 17, 2011, 10:39:55 AM »
Q228: How can you get the Planar Ally line on a Wizard's list? I know of Arcane Disciple (Summoner), but the wisdom requirement is annoying.

Another way would be Rainbow Servant from compete divine....

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #884 on: January 17, 2011, 12:00:56 PM »
Q227: What's a good heavy armor or armor material for a deflective armor character? Mithral disqualifies the feat and DR is way not worth it

You can look through this list

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #885 on: January 17, 2011, 02:08:41 PM »
What happened to numbering the questions? ;)
People realized it was pointless because we quote the questions anyway?
Accounting for an unnumbered question, is an ability that grants immunity to effects with an alignment descriptor significantly more powerful than an ability that grants immunity to fear (ignoring the fact that immunity to fear is stupidly easy to get; I'm looking at utility gain, not opportunity cost)? I suspect it is, but what if a houserule were introduced that stripped all effects of alignment descriptors if they don't actually interact with different alignments differently? I think there are a lot of spells that arbitrarily got the Evil descriptor because the designers thought symbol of pain was evulll but not that ripping your foe's soul out through his face with energy drain was (to clarify, I don't think either necessarily is).
Well, you can ignore stuff like holy word.  I don't think there are any fear-based "no save, just die" spells.
Yeah, I do know that, but those're also significantly less common than fear effects (which is why I'm not sure). It's a bit difficult to get precise balance here, but basically I'm designing a class with multiple advancement paths and I don't want people to go "Holy crap, the optimal choice is this one!" I'd like people to be able to feel like they're still getting nice things no matter which path they pick. So given a choice between fear immunity and alignment-descriptor immunity, do you think there's an obvious choice?
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #886 on: January 17, 2011, 02:10:43 PM »
Q 229 Is there an item that gives you Improved Grapple so you don't have to pay for the feat?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #887 on: January 17, 2011, 02:27:25 PM »
Q230:There was a Dragon magazine article several years ago dealing with how to make Half-Undead characters, aka Blade.  Does anyone remember which issue, and, even better, if that article is available on the interwebz?
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #888 on: January 17, 2011, 02:29:23 PM »
Q230:There was a Dragon magazine article several years ago dealing with how to make Half-Undead characters, aka Blade.  Does anyone remember which issue, and, even better, if that article is available on the interwebz?
Is this what you're looking for? From Dragon 313?

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #889 on: January 17, 2011, 02:35:41 PM »
Q 229 Is there an item that gives you Improved Grapple so you don't have to pay for the feat?
I did a little search in my Feat Tome,and while there are a ton of items that provide bonuses to grapple checks,there is none as far as I know which gives you improved grapple....

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #890 on: January 17, 2011, 02:36:55 PM »
I did a little search in my Feat Tome,and while there are a ton of items that provide bonuses to grapple checks,there is none as far as I know which gives you improved grapple....
You have a feat tome? Wouldn't mind having a look at that. It's unfortunate, but maybe I have to take the actual feat.

Mushroom

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #891 on: January 17, 2011, 04:56:29 PM »
q240:What's the best armor for a level 1 druid?

cru

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #892 on: January 17, 2011, 05:00:09 PM »
A240: leather / hide (if you don't care about speed) + heavy wooden shield
druids of mielikki can also use metallic armors

Also:
sharkskin armor (stormwrack), +3 AC, light, +6 escape artist to cut bonds, 85 gp
Chitin armor (stormwrack): +4 AC, medium, 75 gp
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 05:02:01 PM by cru »

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #893 on: January 17, 2011, 05:18:13 PM »
Q241: Without hand waving it is there any way to automatically fail a dispel magic check or force it to be a 1? Preferably in a repeatable item form.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #894 on: January 17, 2011, 05:41:09 PM »
Q241: Without hand waving it is there any way to automatically fail a dispel magic check or force it to be a 1? Preferably in a repeatable item form.

Eternal Wand of Arcane Turmoil has caster level 3.  That's going to autofail for a lot of things at mid levels.  Still not guaranteed.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #895 on: January 17, 2011, 05:53:54 PM »
Explosive Runes?  Dispel Ward.  CL 1 area dispel that only affects abjuration spells placed on objects or areas.  They may as well have called it "Light the Fuse!"

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #896 on: January 17, 2011, 05:55:15 PM »
Explosive Runes?  Dispel Ward.  CL 1 area dispel that only affects abjuration spells placed on objects or areas.  They may as well have called it "Light the Fuse!"
[Mr. Burns] Excellent [/Mr. Burns]  :marx
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #897 on: January 17, 2011, 06:14:17 PM »
Awesome.  Thank you.  Good detective work. :sherlock
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #898 on: January 17, 2011, 07:21:18 PM »
Awesome.  Thank you.  Good detective work. :sherlock
Note that the summary has errors - fetches are LA+5, and CR+1, for example.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Epimetheus

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #899 on: January 17, 2011, 11:41:01 PM »
Q 242 Would you trade a feat for 20 skill points? Limit 1 such feat.