Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question 21: Dunkadooballs!  (Read 162132 times)

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
Re: Ask a Simple Question 21: Dunkadooballs!
« Reply #520 on: January 07, 2011, 04:32:09 AM »
Has there been any information compiled anywhere about the optimization of the Sling?

LunaticsLament

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #521 on: January 07, 2011, 04:36:45 AM »
I have a vague recollection of a bow with mechanical assistance built in.  Some sort of non-magical/clockwork/alchemical thing.  I think it let you treat your strength as higher if you took longer to fire it.  I seem to remember the fluff saying something about gnomes.  Does this ring a bell for anyone?  I've been searching through the Wizards site and old Dragon magazines, but I can't find it. 
gnome steambow. Can't recall source, though.

Arms and Equipment Guide of course :p

I think I just found the weapon for my next archivist...
"The capacity of the human mind for swallowing nonsense and spewing it forth in violent and repressive action has never yet been plumbed. "
~Robert Heinlein

cru

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #522 on: January 07, 2011, 06:14:31 AM »
Q141  Are there any Aberrant feats anywhere besides Lords of Madness?  Like in a Dragon Magazine or something?
There's Mourning Mutate from Dragon.
Also, read this: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ebee/20050704a. If you rule also lesser and greater aberrant dragonmark feats as [aberrant], this prestige class can increase your incremental bonuses rather quickly: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ebds/20070416a

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #523 on: January 07, 2011, 11:10:19 AM »
Q 150: If a character's class level grants no spell slots of a given level per day, but the character knows the spells of that level and has an ability score high enough to get at least one bonus slot of that level, can he cast that level of spells?

For example, a warmage 5 with Versatile Spellcaster + Heighten Spell, and Charisma 18.  He has no 3rd-level spell slots from warmage, knows his 3rd-level warmage spells thanks to the feat combo, and his ability score is high enough to have 1 bonus 3rd-level spell slot.  Does he have any 3rd-level spell slots to work with?
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #524 on: January 07, 2011, 12:23:05 PM »
Q151 How does the Sha'ir's casting mechanic (Dragon Compendium, p55) interact with feats that add spells known to its list?
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #525 on: January 07, 2011, 01:23:44 PM »
Bump

Q 146 If a creature has levels of sorcerer, and that class is considered as a non-associated class, and you wanted to increase their CR with abjurant champion, would that be +1 CR per level, or +1 CR per two levels of the PrC? Note that the creature will not gain full BAB as it's already at 20 HD.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #526 on: January 07, 2011, 01:27:25 PM »
Q 150: If a character's class level grants no spell slots of a given level per day, but the character knows the spells of that level and has an ability score high enough to get at least one bonus slot of that level, can he cast that level of spells?

For example, a warmage 5 with Versatile Spellcaster + Heighten Spell, and Charisma 18.  He has no 3rd-level spell slots from warmage, knows his 3rd-level warmage spells thanks to the feat combo, and his ability score is high enough to have 1 bonus 3rd-level spell slot.  Does he have any 3rd-level spell slots to work with?
Nope. 

You can use two second level spells to pull a third level spell off your list, though.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Vicerious

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Foolish Mortal
    • Email
« Reply #527 on: January 07, 2011, 02:21:21 PM »
Q152  Let's say we have a cleric with two turning pools (azurin ACF, dread necro, et al).  Additionally, let's say each of those two pools contains 11 uses.  Our cleric has DMM: Persist, of course.
The question is can he:
A: Persist two spells by drawing on two discrete turning pools, leaving 4 uses in each?
B: Persist three spells by drawing on his total pool, leaving just one use of one remaining pool?
C: Something else?
"A witty saying proves nothing." --Voltaire

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #528 on: January 07, 2011, 02:53:18 PM »
Bump

Q 146 If a creature has levels of sorcerer, and that class is considered as a non-associated class, and you wanted to increase their CR with abjurant champion, would that be +1 CR per level, or +1 CR per two levels of the PrC? Note that the creature will not gain full BAB as it's already at 20 HD.

To be honest the CR rules are not worth using like this but I'm pretty sure its +1/2....

That said I believe the +20 BAB cap is only from class levels (see any dragon or outsider with 21HD+) so its possible you would get your class BAB as well.

stranglebat

• Email
« Reply #529 on: January 07, 2011, 03:35:07 PM »
Q153

With Chronocharms can you take the same one multiple times on one necklace? EG Swift hunter takes only charms which give a swift move action?

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #530 on: January 07, 2011, 04:29:16 PM »
Q153

With Chronocharms can you take the same one multiple times on one necklace? EG Swift hunter takes only charms which give a swift move action?

A 153:

Quote from: MiC
CHRONOCHARM
A chronocharm occupies the throat body
slot, but it can be worn simultaneously
with any number of other chronocharms,
which all function normally. However,
you can't wear more than one of the same
chronocharm.

You must wear a chronocharm for 24
hours before you can access its abilities.
If it is taken off, it becomes inactive until
worn for an additional 24 hours.

Emphasis mine.
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #531 on: January 07, 2011, 04:51:40 PM »
q154How do I make all spell purely mental actions with the least cost? Note, Sharnrace is not an option. Nor Psionics.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 04:57:43 PM by bearsarebrown »

Mushroom

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #532 on: January 07, 2011, 04:55:07 PM »
q154How do I make all spell purely mental actions with the least cost? Note, Sharn is not an option. Nor Psionics.
Phaerimm?

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #533 on: January 07, 2011, 04:56:08 PM »
Q 155 This is probably beyond easy for you guys, but what are all the ways you can increase your caster levels for the effectiveness of spells? Other than taking a domain (Good, evil, etc), or Practiced Spellcaster.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #534 on: January 07, 2011, 05:02:38 PM »
Q 155 This is probably beyond easy for you guys, but what are all the ways you can increase your caster levels for the effectiveness of spells? Other than taking a domain (Good, evil, etc), or Practiced Spellcaster.
There's a handbook, IIRC.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #535 on: January 07, 2011, 05:03:05 PM »
There's a handbook, IIRC.
A link to it would be great.

Slaughterhouserock

• Hail to the king, baby.
    • Horror Movie Fans
    • Email
« Reply #536 on: January 07, 2011, 05:04:13 PM »
The DM giveth and the rogue taketh away.
I have a 5 in Charisma and Diplomacy is a cross-class skill.  Hopefully I don't piss off too many people.

BruceLeeroy

• Curious George
« Reply #537 on: January 07, 2011, 05:29:15 PM »
Q152  Let's say we have a cleric with two turning pools (azurin ACF, dread necro, et al).  Additionally, let's say each of those two pools contains 11 uses.  Our cleric has DMM: Persist, of course.
The question is can he:
A: Persist two spells by drawing on two discrete turning pools, leaving 4 uses in each?
B: Persist three spells by drawing on his total pool, leaving just one use of one remaining pool?
C: Something else?
B

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #538 on: January 07, 2011, 06:07:16 PM »

Nope. 

You can use two second level spells to pull a third level spell off your list, though.

Cannot.  You don't actually know your 3rd-level spells until 6th level, when you gain access.

Zebu

« Reply #539 on: January 07, 2011, 06:12:27 PM »
Q 156  I'm playing in a level 15 gestalt game where we're all members of the Watch.  Yes, it's a town where the Watch needs that kind of power.  I want to do Cloistered Cleric/Inquisitor on one side, probably mingled with Ordained Champion on the other side so that I wind up with full casting.  What should I use to fill up the other 13 levels on the second track?  I've never used something from Tome of Battle, so perhaps something from there?