Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question 21: Dunkadooballs!  (Read 162132 times)

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
Re: Ask a Simple Question 21: Dunkadooballs!
« Reply #480 on: January 05, 2011, 09:40:58 PM »
Dragonborn template gives new aging table, though I don't know if that was mentioned already or not.
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #481 on: January 05, 2011, 10:06:41 PM »
The SRD website is kind of dumb about replacing the first RHD; the actual books don't mention humanoids at all - much like the whole "dex0=paralysis", they just screwed up when they transferred the info.

Actually what I quoted was from the glossary of my monster manual...

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #482 on: January 05, 2011, 10:17:28 PM »
I'm talking about monsters as player characters (DMG 172)
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Bloody Initiate

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #483 on: January 06, 2011, 12:03:55 AM »
Q135: Can you use the feat Arcane Strike inside an anti-magic field?
I don't employ memes. Mass-produced ammunition, even from reputable manufacturers, tends to malfunction on occasion.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #485 on: January 06, 2011, 12:17:15 AM »
I have a vague recollection of a bow with mechanical assistance built in.  Some sort of non-magical/clockwork/alchemical thing.  I think it let you treat your strength as higher if you took longer to fire it.  I seem to remember the fluff saying something about gnomes.  Does this ring a bell for anyone?  I've been searching through the Wizards site and old Dragon magazines, but I can't find it. 

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #486 on: January 06, 2011, 12:18:28 AM »
I have a vague recollection of a bow with mechanical assistance built in.  Some sort of non-magical/clockwork/alchemical thing.  I think it let you treat your strength as higher if you took longer to fire it.  I seem to remember the fluff saying something about gnomes.  Does this ring a bell for anyone?  I've been searching through the Wizards site and old Dragon magazines, but I can't find it. 
gnome steambow. Can't recall source, though.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #487 on: January 06, 2011, 12:23:53 AM »
gnome steambow. Can't recall source, though.

Arms and Equipment Guide of course :p

[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #488 on: January 06, 2011, 12:57:30 AM »
Thanks guys. 

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #489 on: January 06, 2011, 04:14:21 AM »
I would like to chime in and note that DWK's aging as dragons being commonly accepted means neither that it's right nor that it's what a DM would accept.  In fact, the Dragonwrought feat does very little to the aging process of a Kobold: eliminating aging penalties and extending the ultimate lifespan of the kobold by a small amount.  It does not cause you to gain age categories as a true dragon.

As for other templates, a fluff argument could be made for gaining the mental bonuses on-schedule for undead templates, and not taking the physical penalties.  In pretty much every other case, however, there are simply no rules at all regarding what happens to a creature's age categories once you stick a template on it.  Not even in Savage Species.
Check RotD again, kobold age section. DWK speciically run off another aging table that has dragon age categories.
Actually all kobolds use that table. They also have the normal Aging effects table that dictates when they gain stat bonuses & penalties.

Interestingly I found a partial answer to my question. RotD p61 under death states that Half-Dragons live longer than thier base race but don't live as long as dragons. It even calls out pairing between an elf and a dragon can create a half-dragon that can live as long as a great wyrm.
In other words, the first table is fluff, the second is mechanics.
If it's a table, it's not fluff.  All Kobolds have 12 age categories (the same 12 as Dragons, I might add).  That said, this is irrelevant to the question.

While I'm pretty sure that many templates change the creature's lifespan, I can't think of any at all that have an actual listing of by how much (except undead templates which are indefinitely).
What about the table on page 128 of the DMG?

Luckanan

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #490 on: January 06, 2011, 04:15:36 AM »
Q136: If you're an Strength 8 weakling druid who spends most of his time in Str 19 black bear form, could you take a strength-prereq feat like Knockdown?  (Yes, I know, probably DM adjucation.  But is there a RAW ruling I could point to?  Or, heck, even a Sage ruling?)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #491 on: January 06, 2011, 04:18:17 AM »
Q136: If you're an Strength 8 weakling druid who spends most of his time in Str 19 black bear form, could you take a strength-prereq feat like Knockdown?  (Yes, I know, probably DM adjucation.  But is there a RAW ruling I could point to?  Or, heck, even a Sage ruling?)
I would say yes, but it would only kick in when you had that STR. It's like how people do the War Hulk PrC, which requires you to be Large size more bigger, but only have access to it when they grow to that size.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #492 on: January 06, 2011, 06:04:41 AM »
Complete Warrior, p.16

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

Vistella

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #493 on: January 06, 2011, 09:06:36 AM »
Q137
what druid spells are worth empowering?

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #494 on: January 06, 2011, 12:15:33 PM »
What about the table on page 128 of the DMG?
All right, I'll revise, then.  If it isn't explicitly fluff and it's a table, then it's not fluff.  Given Races of the Dragon Table 3-2 is not explicitly fluff, then it must be mechanics.  It just rarely comes up (a lot like character height or weight in this regard).  For example, if there was an item that could only be used by dragons of at least Young Adult age, then Kobolds of at least 6 years of age could use it too (remember their Dragonblood subtype).
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Emo_Duck

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #495 on: January 06, 2011, 03:35:07 PM »
I would say yes, but it would only kick in when you had that STR. It's like how people do the War Hulk PrC, which requires you to be Large size more bigger, but only have access to it when they grow to that size.

On that note, if you're only eligible for a prestige class half the time, do you lose things like BAB and saves as well as class features when you don't have the prerequisites? Figure something interesting could be done with War Hulk and that thing that makes you grow a size when raging.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #496 on: January 06, 2011, 03:37:07 PM »

On that note, if you're only eligible for a prestige class half the time, do you lose things like BAB and saves as well as class features when you don't have the prerequisites? Figure something interesting could be done with War Hulk and that thing that makes you grow a size when raging.

Theoretically, BAB and saves != class features. Closest thing I can think of is ex-paladin - retain saves, BAB and HD, lose turning/spellcasting/auras/special mount reverts to regular horsie/etc.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #497 on: January 06, 2011, 03:38:01 PM »

Yes you would lose them, but you'd still have the levels. It'd be like being a fallen paladin, but worse. Like you suddenly have negative levels that only go away when you meet the prereqs. But War Hulk doesn't have BAB. It's +0 each level, but you get +2 STR each level.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

SeekingKnight

• Curious George
« Reply #498 on: January 06, 2011, 03:55:20 PM »
Q138

I am confused on this so help me out.  If I go for a build like say cloistered cleric 2, church inquistioner 2, cloistered cleric 2, divine oracle 2, crusader 1, rkv 10 and contemplative 1 I, so far, amd caster level 17.  If I take practiced spell caster I am a CL 20 and I don't get 9th level spells, assuming i have 19 wis at this point?

Thanks.

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #499 on: January 06, 2011, 04:01:51 PM »
A138
Assuming I read it right, with cleric 17 casting, yes you would have level 9 spells.

Q139
What is the soonest a character should have to worry about incorporeal enemies?
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress