Author Topic: Agh, Spell Ideas!  (Read 1437 times)

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Agh, Spell Ideas!
« on: August 05, 2009, 08:28:36 PM »
Okay, so this will just become my dump thread for magical type spell thingies that pop in and out of my head.

Currently, I can't get Omen of Fire out of my head as a spell name. The problem is, that I have no idea what the heck such a spell would do! I also have this image of a magic-wielding warrior, who's less (if at all) about actually casting spells, and more about just attacking with a magic infused weapon (infused with his own personal power of course).

About the latter I've come up with this number:

Blazing Arc Slash
Standard Action
Range: 15ft Cone, or 30ft line
Effect: Choose either 15ft Cone or 30ft Line as you use this power, then make a single melee attack. You deal fire damage equal to your normal melee weapon damage to each creature in the Cone or Line whose AC you beat with your attack roll.

Okay, I think I have an idea that works for Omen of Fire:

Omen of Fire
Divination/Evocation [Fire] [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Wizard/Sorcerer 1, Cleric 1, Druid 1
Components: V, F
Casting Time: Swift Action
Range: Close
Target: One creature
Duration: 1 minute
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes
With searing words you curse your target, causing him to reconsider his strategies lest he bathe in flame and boiling blood. As you cast this spell, you specify an action your target is capable of taking that you are aware of (this can be as simple as Move Action, but can also be things like Cast A Spell, or Use Breath Weapon). The next time your target uses that action he must succeed on a Will saving throw or be dealt 2d6 fire damage +1/caster level (max 5). This spell lasts until the target uses the specified action, or for 1 minute.

Might make Omen of Fire into a 2nd level spell that deals 4d6+1/caster level (no cap).
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 06:32:46 PM by bkdubs123 »

bhu

• Organ Grinder
  • Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy
Re: Agh, Spell Ideas!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 08:36:27 AM »
For BAS, why is the cone effect so much smaller?

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Agh, Spell Ideas!
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 02:13:08 PM »
For BAS, why is the cone effect so much smaller?

The cone and line effects are actually the same size. A 15ft cone is comprised of 6 5ft squares, just as a 30ft line is comprised of 6 5ft squares. One has longer reach, the other has a wider berth.

How's Omen of Fire look for a 1st level spell? I'm thinking it's probably not worth the Daily spell slot :/