Author Topic: The Dreadnought (base class)  (Read 1713 times)

MasterVega

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Master of what? Well, I'm not exactly sure...
    • Email
The Dreadnought (base class)
« on: February 14, 2009, 02:08:56 PM »
So I liked the concept of the Dreadnought fighter variant I made awhile back, and wanted to make something playable in an ordinary D&D game. This class is made to represent the "black knight" archetype, not the blackguard mind you. This is the the big bad (or good) guy wading through the battle, destroying whatever is in front of him and casually ignoring or seemingly chastising those who attack from behind or beside him.
I hope you guys like the concept, and that the class isn't too over/underpowered to salvage.

The Dreadnought

[spoiler=fluff]Yet to come.[/spoiler]

HD: 1d10

Skills: (4Xint modifier at first level, 4 at every level thereafter) Autohypnosis, Bluff, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (History), Martial Lore, Ride, Survival.

Code: [Select]
Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special Maneuvers Known Maneuvers Readied Stances
1 +1 +2 +0 +0 Dreadnought Resilience 3 3 1
2 +2 +3 +0 +0 4 3 1
3 +3 +3 +1 +1 Shrug-Off 1/encounter 5 3 1
4 +4 +4 +1 +1 5 4 2
5 +5 +4 +1 +1 Frightful Presence 6 4 2
6 +6/+1 +5 +2 +2 Cold Rebuke 6 4 2
7 +7/+2 +5 +2 +2 7 4 2
8 +8/+3 +6 +2 +2 7 4 2
9 +9/+4 +6 +3 +3 Power From Awe 8 4 2
10 +10/+5 +7 +3 +3 Shattering Rebuke 8 5 3
11 +11/+6/+1 +7 +3 +3 Shrug-Off 2/encounter 9 5 3
12 +12/+7/+2 +8 +4 +4 Fear From Failure 9 5 3
13 +13/+8/+3 +8 +4 +4 10 5 3
14 +14/+9/+4 +9 +4 +4 10 5 3
15 +15/+10/+5 +9 +5 +5 Forceful Retaliation 11 6 3
16 +16/+11/+6/+1 +10 +5 +5 Aura of Dread 11 6 4
17 +17/+12/+7/+2 +10 +5 +5 12 6 4
18 +18/+13/+8/+3 +11 +6 +6 12 6 4
19 +19/+14/+9/+4 +11 +6 +6 Shrug-Off 3/encounter 13 6 4
20 +20/+15/+10/+5 +12 +6 +6 Shatter Soul 13 7 4

Class Abilities

Weapon and armor proficiencies: A Dreadnought is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, armor, and shields (including tower shields).

Maneuvers and Stances: A Dreadnought draws maneuvers and stances from the Iron Heart, Stone Dragon, and Setting Sun disciplines. At 4th level, and every 2 levels after, a Dreadnought may choose to learn a new maneuver in place of one he already knows. A Dreadnought regains one maneuver each time he successfully demoralizes an opponent using intimidate or Frightful Presence.

Dreadnought Resilience(EX): A Dreadnought is a cold, determined combatant. The sturdiness of his body adds to the effectiveness armor he wears. A Dreadnought who is wearing medium or heavier armor adds his constitution modifier to his armor class, though he can only add a number less than or equal to his current class level.

Shrug-Off(EX): A Dreadnought of 3rd level gains the ability to shrug off damage a limited number of times per encounter. This ability allows the Dreadnought to ignore a number of HP damage equal to his constitution times his Dreadnought level as an immediate action (though the ability must be used the moment damage for the attack is determined). If this would negate all damage from the strike, no other effects accompanying the damage occur. This does not apply to attacks, spells, maneuvers or similar effects that do not cause HP damage. This ability can be used once at 3rd level, twice at 11th, and three times at 19th.

Frightful Presence(EX): A Dreadnought gains the Frightful Presence ability at fifth level. The Dreadnought's Frightful Presence has a range of 10ft.

Cold Rebuke(EX): A Dreadnought of 6th level or higher who is struck for damage may make an attack of opportunity against the foe who struck him. This ability may only be used once per round.

Power From Awe(EX): A Dreadnought of 9th level or greater becomes even stronger as his enemies grow terrified of him. A Dreadnought gains a bonus on attack and damage rolls against fear-affected foes equal to the number of fear-affected foes within a 30ft radius (including the foe he is attacking.) In addition to this, the Dreadnought is now immune to fear.

Shattering Rebuke(EX): A Dreadnought of 10th level or greater who successfully deals damage with an attack of opportunity may immediately make an intimidate check against the opponent he has damaged in order to demoralize the foe.

Fear From Failure(EX): A Dreadnought of 12th level or higher automatically triggers fear in enemies who cannot pierce his armor. If a foe attacks and fails to damage the Dreadnought, he suffers a penalty on all saves verses fear effects and intimidation equal to the Dreadnought's charisma modifier.

Forceful Retaliation(EX): A Dreadnought of 15th level or higher who deals damage on an attack of opportunity may roll a trip attempt against the opponent he has damaged.

Aura of Dread(SU): A Dreadnought of 16th level or higher gives off a powerful aura weighing upon his foes the urge to cower and flee. All fear-effect spells cast within this aura gain a +2 to their DC, and all abilities that cause fear cause a level of fear one step more powerful when used on a target within this aura.

Shatter Soul(EX): A Dreadnought of 20th level gains the ability to utterly destroy his foe with fear alone. Once per day, the Dreadnought can unleash a deadly stare upon his opponent, forcing the target to roll a will save (DC10+1/2class level+charisma modifier) or die. Even spirits and undead are shaken by this attack, and must make the same will save or be instantly dismissed or destroyed.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 02:16:09 PM by MasterVega »
I might be insane, but at least I\'m not deluded...

My Art! :D

Current PbP Games:
The Good, the Bad, and the Undead as Cedric McDouglan, ex-soldier shadow hunter.

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Re: The Dreadnought (base class)
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 02:24:40 PM »
Intriguing. You've made the Black Knight a fear-based class. I like it.

I made a class like this once, but it was focused on getting progressively larger while still being medium. Basically, at the end, you were huge, counted as gargantuan for wielding weapons, but you took up only a 5 foot square. It was basically the War hulk base class. Not sure how good it was, but I don't feel like digging it up.

MasterVega

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Master of what? Well, I'm not exactly sure...
    • Email
Re: The Dreadnought (base class)
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 02:58:19 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

Your class sounds interesting. Was it going for a similar archetype or did it share similar abilities this one has?
I might be insane, but at least I\'m not deluded...

My Art! :D

Current PbP Games:
The Good, the Bad, and the Undead as Cedric McDouglan, ex-soldier shadow hunter.