Author Topic: Three Duskblady Prestige Classes  (Read 1503 times)

Estariol

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Three Duskblady Prestige Classes
« on: September 16, 2011, 10:45:59 AM »
I 've been working on three new prestige classes for a campaign i am currently running. These prestige classes will be "unlocked" for my player characters at the end of the dungeon they are currently in(where they will find a tome containing ancient lore (these prestige classes) worth aproximately 30.000 GP). I've been tweaking around with them for quite some time and i would really appreciate some feedback on them...

Note that these prestige classes were designed mostly with the duskblade in mind, though i 've made it so that other gish characters with similar abilities to the duskblade can qualify for them (any class/prestige that grants the ability to channel spells through your weapon).

Also note that from a fluff point of view these prestige classes were a special order that existed several hundreds of years ago in my campaign that was created to repel the Army of Darkness that had risen (Scourge Spawn: Demons, Devils, Undead, Aberrations).

My players' party consists of
Cleric
Duskblade x2
Spellsword (Fighter/wizard)
Rogue

The 1st one is more melee oriented than the other two

Scourge Breaker (Melee Combat Oriented):

Prerequisites:
Feats: Combat Expertise, Dodge, Combat Casting
BAB: +5
Spellcasting: Ability to cast 1st level arcane spells
Skills: Spellcraft 8 ranks, Knowledge(Arcana) 8 ranks, Knowledge(The planes) 8
Special:  Proficiency with at least one martial weapon
Special: Ability to channel spells through weapon (Arcane Channeling ability or Channel Spell ability)

HD:d8

BAB   Fort   Ref   Will   Spellcasting           Abilities
+1   2   0   2   -                           Bonus Feat
+2   3   0   3   +1 Existing Arcane   Arcane Spellshield
+3   3   1   3   +1 Existing Arcane   Arcane Celerity
+4   4   1   4   +1 Existing Arcane   Arcane Infusion
+5   4   1   4   -                           Bonus Feat
+6   5   2   5   +1 Existing Arcane   Sense Scourge Spawn
+7   5   2   5   +1 Existing Arcane   Dimensional Anchor
+8   6   2   6   +1 Existing Arcane   Greater Arcane Spellshield
+9   6   3   6   -                           Bonus Feat
+10   7   3   7   +1 Existing Arcane   Scourge Destroyer
Class Skills (2+int modifier per level):
Climb, Concentration, Craft , Decipher Script, Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (Dungeoneering), Knowledge(Religion), Knowledge (The Planes), Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Swim

Abilities Description:
[spoiler]
Bonus Feat: At 1st, 5th and 9th Level the Scourge Breaker may select a bonus feat for which he qualifies for and that either lists Dodge or Combat Expertise or Combat Casting as a prerequisite.

Arcane Spellshield: Starting at 2nd level you can expend a spell slot as a swift action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity  to activate a supernatural effect similar to the Shield spell, but with the following differences. The shield effect lasts a number of rounds equal to 3+ the level of the spell you expended. It grants a +4 shield bonus to AC that is a force effect. In addition whenever you are the target of a spell or spell-like ability (not area spell) there is a 5% (10% if the origin of the spell is from Demons, Devils, Undead,  Aberrations )chance that the spell is absorbed by the shield leaving you unharmed, healing you a number of hit points equal to twice the spell level.  You can chose to allow a spell to bypass the shield if you so desire (such as for the case of receiving a beneficial spell like a cure spell).
You gain no benefit from absorbing a cantrip (0 level spell).
You cannot activate this ability by expending a 0 level spell.

Arcane Celerity:  Starting at 3rd level you can expend  a spell slot as a swift action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity  to activate a supernatural effect similar to that of the Haste spell that lasts for a number of rounds equal to 1+the level of the spell slot expended  to activate this ability. You can use this ability a number of times each day equal to 3+ int modifier (minimum 1). This effect does not stack with similar effects (haste, speed armor/weapon property etc). You cannot activate this ability by expending a 0 level spell.

Arcane Infusion: Starting at 4th level the Scourge Breaker may choose to lose a prepared spell (or a spell slot) as a swift action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity to infuse a weapon he is currently holding with arcane spell power, temporarily enabling it to deal extra energy damage (fire, cold, electricity). The chosen weapon deals an extra 1d6 points of damage of the chosen energy type. This effect lasts for a number of rounds equal to the spell level sacrificed. Multiple uses of this ability do not stack. If the user drops the weapon this effect immediately ends.

Sense Scourge Spawn: Dimensional Anchor:  You can use Dimensional Anchor as a Spell-Like ability a number of times per day equal to 1+int modifier (minimum 1). Caster level equals your character level.

Greater Arcane Spellshield: At 8th level your spellshield ability improves. It now provides a +6 shield bonus to AC and 15% (30% if the origin of the spell is from Demons, Devils, Undead, Aberrations)  chance that the spell is absorbed by the shield. In addition you now learn how to better channel the absorbed spell energy in order to empower your own Spellcasting prowess, thus granting you a +2 on caster level and a +2 on the DC of your spells  for a number of rounds equal to the level of the spell absorbed/2 (rounded up). This effect is not cumulative. You gain no benefit from absorbing a cantrip (0 level spell). You cannot activate this ability by expending a 0 level spell.

Scourge Destroyer: (Sorry no name yet  :D :D :D (Caster Boosting Oriented):
Prerequisites:
Feats:  Combat Casting, Any one Metamagic feat
Spellcasting: Ability to cast 2nd level arcane spells spontaneously
Skills: Spellcraft 8 ranks, Knowledge(Arcana) 8 ranks
Special: Ability to channel spells through weapon (Arcane Channeling ability or Channel Spell ability)

HD:d6
BAB        Fort   Ref   Will    Spellcasting           Abilities
+0          2   0   2          +1 Existing Arcane   Advanced Learning
+1          3   0   3       +1 Existing Arcane   Rapid Caster
+2          3   1   3       +1 Existing Arcane   Advanced Learning
+3          4   1   4       +1 Existing Arcane   Bonus Metamagic
+3          4   1   4       +1 Existing Arcane   Advanced Learning
+4          5   2   5       +1 Existing Arcane   Arcane Vitality
+5          5   2   5       +1 Existing Arcane   Advanced Learning
+6/+1   6   2   6    +1 Existing Arcane   Bonus Metamagic
+6/+1   6   3   6    +1 Existing Arcane   Advanced Learning
+7/+2   7   3   7     +1 Existing Arcane   Spellblade Channeler
Climb, Concentration, Craft , Decipher Script, Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (Dungeoneering), Knowledge(Religion), Knowledge (The Planes), Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Swim
Abilities Description:
Abilities Description:
[spoiler]
Bonus Feat: At 4th and 8th Level you gain a bonus Metamagic feat for which you meet the prerequisites.

Advanced Learning:
At 1st, 3rd ,5th ,7th and 9th you may choose to add any one spell from the Sorcerer/Wizard list that is of a level you can cast to your list of spells known. Once made this choice is permanent.

Rapid Caster: You gain the ability to apply Metamagic feats to your spells without increasing their Spellcasting time.
Arcane Vitality: When casting a spell you heal a number of hit points equal to the level of the spell.

Spellblade Channeler: When channeling a spell through your weapon, increase the DC for the spell by 1 & your caster level by 1. If you score a critical hit with your melee attack while channeling a spell, the channeled spell is partially empower (increase its numerical effects by 25% this stacks with the Empower Spell feat) The next spell you cast has its DC for its saving throw increased by 2. In addition when channeling a spell through your weapon if you chose to apply a Metamagic feat to it you can have the cost of the Metamagic reduced by 1 (minimum 0).

[/spoiler]

The 3rd prestige is more of a skirmisher oriented kind of guy....

Again no name :D :D (Skirmisher Oriented):
Prerequisites:
Feats: Dodge,Mobility, Combat Casting
Spellcasting: Ability to cast 1st level arcane spells
Skills: Spellcraft 8 ranks, Knowledge(Arcana) 8 ranks
Special: Ability to channel spells through weapon (Arcane Channeling* ability or Channel Spell** ability)
Special: Ability to cast in light armor without arcane spell failure
*Duskblade
**Spellsword
HD:d8

BAB         Fort   Ref   Will   Spellcasting   Abilities
+1           0   2   2   +1 Existing Arcane   Spring Attack
+2           0   3   3   -                           Speed  of the Arcane Warrior +10ft
+3           1   3   3   +1 Existing Arcane   Arcane Assault (1st level spell)
+4           1   4   4   -                           Mobile Channeler **Under Construction :D :D Open to suggestions and ideas :D :D
+5           1   4   4   +1 Existing Arcane   Arcane Celerity
+6/+1   2   5   5   -                           Improved Arcane Assault (2nd level spell)
+7/+2   2   5   5   +1 Existing Arcane   Bounding Assault
+8/+3   2   6   6   -                           Improved Mobile Channeler **Under Construction :D :D Open to suggestions and ideas :D :D
+9/+4   3   6   6   +1 Existing Arcane   Greater Arcane Assault (3rd level spell)
+10/+5   3   7   7   -                           Spellblade Assault, Rapid Blitz
Abilities Description:
[spoiler]

Speed  of the Arcane Warrior: Your base land movement speed increases by +10ft.
Arcane Assault: When performing the Spring attack action (or Bounding assault or rapid blitz) you can use your channel spell ability in conjunction with it in order to channel up to a 1st level arcane spell.
Improved Arcane Assault: As before but you can now channel up to a 2nd level arcane spell.
Greater Arcane Assault: As before but you can now channel up to a 3rd level arcane spell.

Arcane Celerity:  Starting at 5th level you can expend  a spell slot as a swift action to activate a supernatural effect similar to that of the Haste spell that lasts for a number of rounds equal to 1+the level of the spell slot expended  to activate this ability. You can use this ability a number of times each day equal to 3+ int modifier (minimum 1). This effect does not stack with similar effects (haste, speed armor/weapon property etc). You cannot activate this ability by expending a 0 level spell.

Spellblade Assault: When using Arcane assault or its improved versions, you ignore difficult terrain during your movement, in addition you gain an insight bonus to AC & saves equal to the level of the spell you chose to channel. Finally if you score a critical hit the channeled spell is automatically empowered as if using the empower spell Metamagic but without any changes to the casting time of the spell or any increase in its level.
[/spoiler]

Looking forward to some feedback and suggestions :D
Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 08:17:02 PM by Estariol »
A wise wizard once said: "A player is never late nor is he early...He arrives precisely when the plot dictates he should!"

Bigtuna

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Re: Three Duskblady Prestige Classes
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 12:09:53 PM »
From the top of my head:
Spellblade assult - I see some timing problems there. You start a move action to make the spring attack - if something happens that stops you (trap, tricket of blades, readied action...) do you lose the spell - you have already gotten the benefit...

Arcane Vitality - seems powerfull - a duskblade get a LOT of spells. If it just works when channeling a spell it might be more  reasonable.

Greater Arcane Assault - would be great if the ability could use with/like full arcane channeling - so every target is hit with the spell.

Shirmish guy - perhaps add a little shimish dam along the way. - Just to be cool :-)

Sense Scourge Spawn: perhaps make it a passive - sense presence of sourge spawn - and a move action to pinpoint - mindsight is too good to be true - and this is a similar ability.

Like the bonus feats to the Scourge Breaker - nice flavor - but don't remember any really powerfull feats with those pre regs

How about making one of the classes +existing spell class - and "ability to cast 2 lvl spells" - then the cleric can qualify with ordanined cham.

Estariol

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Re: Three Duskblady Prestige Classes
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 08:15:45 PM »
From the top of my head:
Spellblade assult - I see some timing problems there. You start a move action to make the spring attack - if something happens that stops you (trap, tricket of blades, readied action...) do you lose the spell - you have already gotten the benefit...

Hmmm....good point i will probably add a concentration check of some sort for when such an occasion occurs so that you might retain your spell...Something along the lines of  "When something interrupts your action, roll a dc 20 + level of spell concentration check to retain your spell"...

Arcane Vitality - seems powerfull - a duskblade get a LOT of spells. If it just works when channeling a spell it might be more  reasonable.

It is exactly for this reason i reduced the HD from D8 to D6...I think i will have to playtest a little bit for this....though considering that you will still be mostly located at the front line trading blows i don't think that it would be overpowered...

Greater Arcane Assault - would be great if the ability could use with/like full arcane channeling - so every target is hit with the spell.
That is my intention....i will try and fix my wording....

Shirmish guy - perhaps add a little shimish dam along the way. - Just to be cool :-)
I don't know if i will add skirmish but i might add something similar to the Scourge Breaker's
Arcane Infusion that will trigger when moving a certain distance...

Sense Scourge Spawn: perhaps make it a passive - sense presence of sourge spawn - and a move action to pinpoint - mindsight is too good to be true - and this is a similar ability.

I think you are right here...i will probably change it a bit

Like the bonus feats to the Scourge Breaker - nice flavor - but don't remember any really powerfull feats with those pre regs

Actually there are quite a few that are really nice
Elusive Target to name one and Evasive Dodge (not sure i remember the name correctly) are awesome feats
Improved Trip
Improved Disarm etc.

How about making one of the classes +existing spell class - and "ability to cast 2 lvl spells" - then the cleric can qualify with ordanined cham.
I kind of considered this but i am not as familiar with divine classes as i am with arcane classes so i refrained from doing so in fear of maybe creating new ways to break the game :D...plus fluff-wise it would not be correct for my campaign.

Thanks for the feedback!!!Keep it comming! :D :D :D

« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 08:18:06 PM by Estariol »
A wise wizard once said: "A player is never late nor is he early...He arrives precisely when the plot dictates he should!"