Author Topic: [3.5] 2nd Ed Cleric import to 3.5  (Read 1201 times)

Ibenadar

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
[3.5] 2nd Ed Cleric import to 3.5
« on: April 20, 2011, 02:44:20 PM »
Trying to import an old 2.ed Cleric of Gobhniu.

The main aspects of that cleric was the abillity to use all and only forged weapons, (fighter BAB I think), bunch of crafting skills & access to hero's feast and such pretty much from 1st level and here's the kicker - no turning ability.

In a game where we are playing at Tier 1/2 (lower tier classes use the gesalt/PrC balancing found on this site to bring them up) just how much of a nerf is the loss of all turning ability and in turn any feat/ability/PrC that relies on it?

What would be a suitable to fill in the gaps?  So far on the list a free extra magic domain, Craft Metafeats thrown in at the level where the cleric level = min usable CL to create items and a free weapon focus (forged weapon) feat, any weapon or armour that doesn't have a forged component is proscribed.

Constructive advise welcome :)  We are only homebrewing this one class in the campaign, but it needs use official rules to build it, no homebrewed feats etc.

The idea is to build a non-turning cleric who can make you any item you can use in combat, give you a drink that makes you damn difficult to kill and who's approach to undead is to "hit 'em so hard they stay down or run away, none of this waving a symbol malarky".  Oh and stay as a tier 1 or 2 class.

Any takers on helping?

Ibenadar

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
Re: [3.5] 2nd Ed Cleric import to 3.5
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 03:25:46 PM »
Oh yes, the DM doesn't like awarding XP (prefers to hand-out fixed level increases at intervals) so does anyone have a suitable pointer as to getting around that - I remember something about a graft based Prc having a pool.

I kn ow its rude, but I will be back tomorrow.

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: [3.5] 2nd Ed Cleric import to 3.5
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 04:28:12 PM »
Sounds like an Artificer from the Eberron campaign setting. Powerful item creation coupled with pseudo-spellcasting to 6th level. It even has a craft reserve of points it can use in place of XP when crafting items. The Artificer is widely considered to be one of the most powerful classes in the game, rivaling the big 3 Tier 1 classes so your power level would compete.

It only has medium BAB, simple weapons proficiency, and medium armor proficiency though.

If you wanted to alter the class a little, giving it a d8 hit dice, Fighter's BAB, a good Fort save, Fighter weapon and armor proficiencies, and real Cleric spellcasting instead of Artificer infusions that'll all cost you a bit. I'd suggest you take a look at the Artificer as it is already written, see if you don't like anything about it, and then come back. A once wrote a melee warrior version of it that might be right up your alley.