Author Topic: D&D Core Classes [Rebalancing 3.5]  (Read 251350 times)

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
Re: D&D Core Classes [Rebalancing 3.5]
« Reply #680 on: October 07, 2008, 12:44:14 PM »
This is way off topic, but I was thinknig about sorcerers in another thread.

They are obviously hurt in terms of versatility compared to a wizard.  Also, they get no class features after 1st level.  Now, I've proposed some bonus feats similar to the wizard, but there's still little reason to advance the class and not PrC out.

How about giving them a class feature sprinkled through some of their levels that grants them a new spell known?  Perhaps it'd be as simple as giving the Extra Spell feat several times.  The idea is two-fold:
1) It helps make them more versatile.
2) Without actually editing the Spells Known table, this would make these additions inaccessable to PrCs.

I haven't figured out an exact number of extra spells to grant.  I was thinking something like five or six times through out the first 20 levels.  What are your thoughts on this?
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #681 on: October 07, 2008, 01:02:10 PM »
Hmm, the most common ones I've seen around involve giving sorcs a Heritage, which ends up with limited access(1/spell level I think) to other classes spell lists, on top of some heritage based powers. Makes sorcs a bit more interesting, and is what I think the Paizo bunch ended up adopting(though their implementation could use a lot of work).
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #682 on: October 07, 2008, 01:16:11 PM »
Well, I already suggested some heritage (or non-heritage) based bonus feats on the first page.  I just figured some extra spells gained as class abilities might help too.  I just don't want to overdo it.

Core Classes

Sorcerer
- A sorcerer must choose whether or not to have a special heritage when he takes his first sorcerer level. 
- If the sorcerer chooses a heritage, he gains the appropriate heritage feat (Draconic Heritage for dragon ancestors, Celestial Heritage for celestial ancestors, etc) at 1st level.  He gains an additional heritage feat of the same type at 5th level and every five levels thereafter.
- If he chooses not to have a heritage, he gains Eschew Materials at 1st level, and an item creation or metamagic feat at 5th level and every five levels thereafter.

- Most other changes will come in the form of changed spells.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #683 on: October 07, 2008, 01:29:09 PM »
The implementations I've seen tend to be more of unique class features, but yeah, that works well enough, plus picking spells cross lists tend to end up with some interesting effects, and is as such problematic anyway. Gaining extra spells on top of a heritage does nicely.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #684 on: October 07, 2008, 02:50:12 PM »
How about giving them free uses of metamagic feats every few levels? Like so:

Surging magic: a sorcerer's body pulses with power. Beginning at X level, choose one metamagic feat the sorcerer knows. He can apply the benefit of that feat without altering the cost of the spell slot a number of times equal to 1+Cha modifier. At Y, Z, and W level, choose an additional feat.

This could be in addition to Extra spell and/or other bonus feats. I'd go with a class like that until 20th level.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #685 on: October 07, 2008, 03:13:31 PM »
Here's a preliminary write-up (credit to Kuroimaken for the basic idea of Surging Magic):

Sorcerer

Level  Special
5      Bonus Feat
7      Extra Spell
9      Surging Magic (spontaneous metamagic)
10     Bonus Feat
11     Extra Spell
13     Surging Magic (DC)
15     Bonus Feat
17     Extra Spell
19     Surging Magic (improved metamagic)
20     Bonus Feat

Summon Familiar
Per the PHB

Bonus Feat
At first level the sorcerer chooses whether or not he has a special heritage. 

A sorcerer with a special heritage gains the heritage feat of that type at first level as a bonus feat.  So a sorcerer who has choses draconic as his special heritage gains the Draconic Heritage feat.  Every fifth level, the sorcerer gains a new heritage feat of the same type as a bonus feat.

A sorcerer without a special heritage gains Eschew Materials as a bonus feat at first level.  Every fifth level, the sorcerer gains a metamagic or item creation feat as a bonus feat.

Extra Spell
At 2nd level, the sorcerer learns a new spell of any level he could cast from the sorcerer/wizard spell list.  This increases his spells known.  The sorcerer can choose to replace this spell on an even numbered level just like any other spell he knows.  The sorcerer gains an additional extra spell at levels 7, 11, and 17.

Surging Magic
The sorcerer gains a number of magic surges per day equal to half his class level, rounded down (minimum of 1) plus his Charisma modifier.  Only one magic surge can be used per round.

At 3rd level, the sorcerer can use a magic surge to increase his caster level by +1 during the casting of a spell.

At 9th level, the sorcerer can use a magic surge to spontaneously apply a metamagic feat to a spell without increasing its casting time.

At 13th level, the sorcerer can use a magic surge to increase the DC of a spell by +2.

At 19th level, the sorcerer can use two magic surges to apply a metamagic feat to a spell without increasing the spell's level.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 03:16:26 PM by RobbyPants »
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #686 on: October 07, 2008, 03:22:20 PM »
I'd play this, though maybe not all the way to 20, since the bonus heritage feat at 20 is kinda meh. Probably 15+ archmage, or some other PrC.

Perhaps something special for their Heritage to capstone?
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

SiggyDevil

• Hong Kong
  • Magmar, the ultimate butthead
    • Feybook Project
« Reply #687 on: October 07, 2008, 03:23:05 PM »
That forced-Heritage Sorc works, Rob.

However they should all get Eschew Materials since cheap material components are usually hand-waved or ignored in settings outright, and for good reason.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #688 on: October 07, 2008, 03:23:43 PM »
I'd play this, though maybe not all the way to 20, since the bonus heritage feat at 20 is kinda meh. Probably 15+ archmage, or some other PrC.

Perhaps something special for their Heritage to capstone?
There could be.  I thought of that, but I quickly posted it, holding to the five-level scheme of the bonus feats.  What would be a good capstone for a heritage?  Should this be written up separately for each heritage?  What about a capstone for a sorcerer without a heritage?
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

RabidPirateMan

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #689 on: October 07, 2008, 03:26:23 PM »
Type change as a capstone?  So, for fiendish heritage, you become an outsider, and blah blah blah?

As per the wildshape ranger... Robby, would you be alright with me starting a Rebalancing the MM thread?  Not only would it fix shit like polymorph and wildshape, it would get insane stuff like the pitiful Ogre Magi and the overpowered Boneclaw straight. 

SiggyDevil

• Hong Kong
  • Magmar, the ultimate butthead
    • Feybook Project
« Reply #690 on: October 07, 2008, 03:29:04 PM »
Type change as a capstone?  So, for fiendish heritage, you become an outsider, and blah blah blah?

As per the wildshape ranger... Robby, would you be alright with me starting a Rebalancing the MM thread?  Not only would it fix shit like polymorph and wildshape, it would get insane stuff like the pitiful Ogre Magi and the overpowered Boneclaw straight. 

Perhaps not type change as much as subtype addition. It opens new paths rather than apply vulnerabilities.

For instance a Sorc becoming true Dragon type is affected by Dragon-bane weapons and Ranger bonus.
A Sorc that gets Dragonblood or similar counts as Dragon whenever doing so is beneficial.

RabidPirateMan

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #691 on: October 07, 2008, 03:34:32 PM »

Perhaps not type change as much as subtype addition. It opens new paths rather than apply vulnerabilities.

For instance a Sorc becoming true Dragon type is affected by Dragon-bane weapons and Ranger bonus.
A Sorc that gets Dragonblood or similar counts as Dragon whenever doing so is beneficial.

Yeah, that.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #692 on: October 07, 2008, 03:39:52 PM »
Go ahead.  Depending on what gets changed, I can always include it in the compendium or something.  I wasn't planning on changing too much in the MM, but I'm sure some things could be visited.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #693 on: October 07, 2008, 03:40:11 PM »
They get dragonblood from draconic heritage already though.
I'm thinking of taking the most iconic of the heritage feat powers and improving it, so a dragonblood sorceror could for example, get a more badass(or a non spell slot draining) breath/wings.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #694 on: October 07, 2008, 03:49:29 PM »
I have the draconic capstone roughly complete.  The others are still in the works.  I don't know what (if any) damage dealing effect I'd grant some of the types.  I'm also at a loss for a non-heritage capstone.  Some aweome metamagic ability the likes of which no one has ever seen?

Draconic
  • Gain immunity to your energy type. 
  • Gain wings that grant a fly speed equal to your base speed with average maneuverability.
  • Gain a breath weapon (120 foot line or 60 foot cone) that deals 10d6 damage.  Refelx save DC 10 + 1/2 sorcerer level + Cha mod for half damage.
Celestial
  • Gain immunity to acid, cold,or electricity. 
  • Gain wings that grant a fly speed equal to your base speed with average maneuverability.
  • Gain XXX that deals 10d6 damage.  Refelx save DC 10 + 1/2 sorcerer level + Cha mod for half damage.
Infernal
  • Gain immunity to fire. 
  • Gain XXX that deals 10d6 damage.  Refelx save DC 10 + 1/2 sorcerer level + Cha mod for half damage.
Abbysal*
  • Gain immunity to electricity. 
Fey
  • Gain immunity to mind-affecting effects. 
  • Gain wings that grant a fly speed equal to your base speed with average maneuverability?  Do wings fit?
  • What about an attack?  Charm Person at will, with a DC of 10 + 1/2 sorcerer level + Cha mod?

* I think I'd need to write up some feats for this.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #695 on: October 07, 2008, 04:05:15 PM »
Some Fey do the butterfly wings gig, so it's alright, though they have a LOT of variety.

The magic one...take a leaf out of the Archmage and turn a spell/spell slot(difference lies between at will and limited use) into an SLA?
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #696 on: October 07, 2008, 04:14:03 PM »
Also, do we want to grant a type as the capstone?  It involves a slew of immunities, which are different per type.

Some Fey do the butterfly wings gig, so it's alright, though they have a LOT of variety.
True true.

The magic one...take a leaf out of the Archmage and turn a spell/spell slot(difference lies between at will and limited use) into an SLA?
That could work.  I didn't even think to rip off some archmage stuff.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #697 on: October 07, 2008, 04:25:58 PM »
Granting a type...too complicated I think, you get anywhere from lots of stuff(elementals, if elemental heritages are added, have immunities that shouldn't be given away like that) to anemic(what do fey get?).

Oh right, Elemental bloodlines? :D
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #698 on: October 07, 2008, 04:42:38 PM »
I've actually thought about elemental ones too.

Over a year ago I started a write up of various heritage feats that I never finished.  Basically, I was planning on using the Draconic feats as-is, and I used them as a metric for the others.  I like the mechanic those feats used.  That's one thing I didn't like about the Complete Mage Fiendish and Fey heriteage feats.

So, if I dig up the old Word file, I might be able to finish them up and post them here.  Really, I like the three types of heritage feats from Complete Arcane:
  • Offers a static bonus based on the number of heritage feats.
  • Gives you an ability after casting a standard action spell, based on the spell's level .
  • Burn a spell slot to trigger an ability.

I also like the ones that add a few spells to your spells known list.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #699 on: October 07, 2008, 07:03:15 PM »
Hmmm... Looking up at Surging Magic, I wonder if 13th level isn't a bit too high to grant a +2 to DC? Though I guess that depends on how you intend to get rid of the ludicrously high save DCs one can attain sometimes.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!