Author Topic: D&D Core Classes [Rebalancing 3.5]  (Read 251350 times)

RabidPirateMan

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Re: D&D Core Classes [Rebalancing 3.5]
« Reply #460 on: September 30, 2008, 09:18:33 PM »
Hrmmm...

I dunno; Rangers are supposed to be good against 'certain' foes...  If we make everything a knowledge check, the Ranger loses his racist appeal.

What if we clumped more things together?  Instead of Favored Enemy- Orcs, why not Favored Enemy- Humanoids?  That'd certainly help Mr. I'm-Only-Good-At-Killing-Lizardmen.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #461 on: September 30, 2008, 09:30:40 PM »
Might as well increase the favored enemy bonuses by +2 just so it remains even. Also, the one thing I kinda dislike about favored enemy bonuses is that they're campaign-dependent: you might run into a lot of undead one day and zilch the next, for example. This means we should give the ranger the opportunity to switch who it applies to sometimes. Two suggestions in that venue: allow the ranger to spend one hour researching a new enemy (likely one he's fought before), OR allow him to switch it on the fly with a successful Survival check based on HD?
I like both of those suggestions.  I think Survival could be more useful on short notice, and every ranger maxes it out anyway.

But we are gonna rip off the exact same effects from Dark Knowledge and adapt them into the Ranger?

Some of the effects need to be pumped (Tactics and Foreknowledge starting at +2 and increasing by +1 for every 10 points more than the DC, for example).

Anyway, I like where this is going...
I guess it's possible to make archivist like abilities, but I'd rather keep using the ranger's favored enemy bonus.

I'm not sure what Kuroimaken was suggesting with Survival.  Is the DC to switch types?  Does the DC trigger higher bonuses? 

Maybe you roll Survival to determine how high the bonus is.  The ranger can gain the bonus on any creature type,  but he gets a bonus to the Survival roll when attacking a creature of a type he's chosen.  Thus, he can hunt anything fairly well, but he's just better skilled at hunting certain things.  So, at 1st level and every 5th level, he gets to pick a new type.

Just some example numbers:  Perhaps he adds a +2 bonus to all relavent rolls if he makes a Survival check DC 25.  Every five points thereafter, he adds another +2.  He gets a +10 bonus to the Survival check against a favored enemy.  The numbers work out fairly well in a basic sense (figure roughly +6 Survival at 1st level, +10 for favored enemy bonus, averages a 26-27 Survival check), but I think they might fall apart at higher levels.  It's very easy to boost a skill check into the stratosphere.  Still, is an idea similar to this worth persuing?
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #462 on: October 01, 2008, 12:06:59 AM »
Actually, my initial idea was: pump up the bonuses, Survival check to switch types on the fly. Mimicking the Archivist's Dark Knowledge sounds good as well (except with higher bonuses, since you apply it only to yourself).
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Elennsar

• Grape ape
  • The Emperor is watching, the Emperor knows.
    • Email
« Reply #463 on: October 01, 2008, 12:13:24 AM »
I see no one cares for the Chosen Prey. Shame, it avoids the skill-checks-rising-way-too-high.
Faith can move mountains. It still can't deflect bullets.

"Communication with humans." is a cross-class skill for me. Please bear this in mind.

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #464 on: October 01, 2008, 12:14:43 AM »
I see no one cares for the Chosen Prey. Shame, it avoids the skill-checks-rising-way-too-high.

Did you put a link to this before? I didn't see it...

Elennsar

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #465 on: October 01, 2008, 12:20:24 AM »

"Communication with humans." is a cross-class skill for me. Please bear this in mind.

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #466 on: October 01, 2008, 12:23:14 AM »

But it needs some work on the wording (Wilderness Lore?  :P), and see everyone's opinions on this stuff...

Now I don't know what to do with the Ranger...

Elennsar

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #467 on: October 01, 2008, 12:26:32 AM »
It does need some work, but we all know how to do that.   :P

Personally, I'd suggest the Bushfighter instead of the existing ranger, but it is a bit underpowered.

Needs more umph.

Thus, suggesting this ability to replace favored enemy.

Eldariel

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #468 on: October 01, 2008, 12:38:27 AM »

Elennsar

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #469 on: October 01, 2008, 12:43:21 AM »
Aragorn does make a comment about being very familiar with hunting orcs to Eomer, but that's probably "I have a lot of experience. Shut up youngin'."

Legolas, I don't know. Drizzt...nah.

Eldariel

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #470 on: October 01, 2008, 12:47:39 AM »
Aragorn is also really good with the Ringwraiths. And Trolls. And Humans... And well, every creature in existence. So just 'cause he's good vs. Orcs isn't really saying much ;)

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #471 on: October 01, 2008, 01:08:14 AM »

I'm thinking it won't be an assortment of knowledge checks, just survival to reassign your current favored foe. Consider it one of the benefits they should have for an ability that only works on themselves and for being a class that simply lacks the requisite high int or knowledge class skills to pick up more than one knowledge skill. Hes just that good at enemy vulnerabilities, much like how rogues don't need anatomy lessons for anything with a remotely normal physiology to sneak attack. A feat to get an extra bonus on certain types of creatures is fine though.

What action to switch favored enemies?
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Elennsar

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #472 on: October 01, 2008, 01:12:31 AM »
Right. Still, he comments on being an expert hunter of orcs, but not of "everything else", so I would not hesitate to give him a bonus vs. orcs.

Provided it didn't gimp him elsewhere.

SiggyDevil

• Hong Kong
  • Magmar, the ultimate butthead
    • Feybook Project
« Reply #473 on: October 01, 2008, 05:00:12 AM »
What does an anti-orc Ranger do when all the orcs they hate are dead?

Hop dimensions and hunt more, or swap out hatred?

You need versatility options built in to the class without using retraining rules.

Elennsar

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #474 on: October 01, 2008, 05:02:40 AM »
Hence my suggestion of the chosen prey ability, Siggy.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #476 on: October 01, 2008, 05:35:42 AM »
I think switching favored enemies should take a while... an hour, like the Warblade's retraining abilities.  He becomes one with the enemies he plans to fight, then he stalks and kills them.  Rangers are hunters afterall... it makes sense that they have to prepare a bit.

JaronK

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #477 on: October 01, 2008, 05:42:44 AM »
The bonuses for Chosen Prey seem... awfully small.

What action to switch favored enemies?

Well, my initial suggestion was an hour. Though if you ask me, that's still a bit on the shafting side - how the heck does the ranger know what he's going to fight the next day?

How about a full-round action, but he can only have one favored enemy at a time?

As for Knowledge checks: main problem with that is that it kills some Ranger versatility. Think about it. Right now they have 6 skill points. They'll max out survival for sure. Spot and Listen are always good for a warrior type to have, so that's two more. Barring ranged specialization, they'll probably want Hide and Move Silently as well... if we make them need Knowledges on top of that to be effective, we might be putting a bit of MAD on the ranger, honestly.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Elennsar

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #478 on: October 01, 2008, 05:52:31 AM »
Keep in mind that it (the Bushfighter) is a 3e class, so boost them up. I'm suggesting it as an example of an alternate "how it works" (including and emphasing how it can be shifted to new enemies), not "how much you get".