Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question 21: Dunkadooballs!  (Read 162135 times)

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
Re: Ask a Simple Question 21: Dunkadooballs!
« Reply #80 on: December 23, 2010, 10:19:37 AM »
In that example, it would be +7, since the +5 is enhancing the Leather and not the Chain Shirt.
If that is the case, then the total AC bonus of a +5 dastana would be +6...
Irrelevant, since you've now got two enhancement bonuses to your armor bonus. Overlapping applies.
If that is the case, then the leather and chain shirt example would have an AC of +9, not +7. It is either looking at the whole AC bonus, or partial. If it is partial, then a +5 leather and a +1 chain shirt would have the separate components (base AC and enhancement AC) looked at individually and the highest applied in both categories.

Hence my question: Is it partial or is it full?
they all overlap, take the highest only. Dastana are special case items the increase an existing armor bonus by an untyped 1, so they stack, but multiple types of armor (btw, anyone who argued that wearing multiple sets of light armor is still light I would smack) overlap. +5 chain and +5 dastana would net a +10 armor bonus (4 base, +5 enhancement, +1 dastana). Double enchanting is pointless.
Don't care about your smacking. Internet smiting is like children talking tough. People who do it should just be ignored as they should be seen, not heard :P

Now, then, leath and chain. WHat's the total AC? 7 or 9?
as in: a hybrid type of armor, or wearing one suit of both?

Somehow became a wall of text >.<
[Spoiler]
And my other point was that it makes no sense, from either a game or reality standpoint.you've got something that limits your movement not through weight, but through range of motion and bulkiness, and then you add something that does the same thing in slightly different points of articulation and expect it not to encumber you more? Also, historically, heavier armors tended to consist of layers, with chain protecting the points of articulation or areas where lesser protection were needed, with either a leather suit or padded gambeson (or in some parts of the world, both) to protect against both blunt force trauma from force-of-impact pushing your own armor back into you, and to prevent chafing. I would personally just steer you to a heavier set of armor for the mechanical fulfillment of your flavor attempt, since adding more armor or more coverage has diminishing returns. Adding a second layer of plating to your torso won't do a whole hell of a lot (if anything except in niche cases) when you already have one layer covering the exact same areas. The difference between the historical equivalency of what the game calls Full-plate and Banded Mail in western euro culture was similar to game stats: purpose created minimalist armor (a suit of plate, which was just forged plates of metal with padding beneath) versus multiple layerings of weaker armors (early-mid loricated plate, which was strips of metal banded together over another layer of chain over padding).[/spoiler]

I know how the real armours worked. In a d100 game I created, you can multilayer them just like in reality.

My question is this: You are wearing a leather +5 and a chain shirt +1. What is your armour class? +7 or +9?

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: December 23, 2010, 10:25:10 AM »
I know how the real armours worked. In a d100 game I created, you can multilayer them just like in reality. My question is this: You are wearing a leather +5 and a chain shirt +1. What is your armour class? +7 or +9?
+5 leather is AC +7, +1 chain shirt is +5, so your AC would be +7. I'd suggest you step up to one of the mediums and reflavor it slightly, instead, however, to actually get a more accurate representation of what that means.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

darrellbutts

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #82 on: December 23, 2010, 11:33:20 AM »
Q21: What ways are there of getting additional arms (specifically arms that can hold/wield weapons)?

As a note, insectile template is out as is any race with extra arms (ie thri-keen).

Abner

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #83 on: December 23, 2010, 11:43:19 AM »
Q21: What ways are there of getting additional arms (specifically arms that can hold/wield weapons)?

As a note, insectile template is out as is any race with extra arms (ie thri-keen).
A21
Dragon Compendium has the Diopsid. Which is more beetle-man than mantis-man.
Arrow Demon is in MM3.
Girallon's blessing
DMG 2 has abberant limbs
Dolgrim from the ECS are LA +2
 Arms of Plenty (LoM)
Obah-Blessed template from Dungeon Magazine 136.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #84 on: December 23, 2010, 11:59:07 AM »

Polymorph/Wild Shape into something that has that ability specifically?
I, however, prefer to use the Demonbinder (Drow of the Underdark). Be a Lesser Drow, or a Half-Drow, and take it.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

Mushroom

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: December 23, 2010, 12:20:30 PM »
Q22:I know there is a more or less "evil unicorn" in a book, but I can"t find it. The name is something like blood charger I believe. Can anyone assist in finding it?

Abner

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #86 on: December 23, 2010, 12:33:15 PM »
Q22:I know there is a more or less "evil unicorn" in a book, but I can"t find it. The name is something like blood charger I believe. Can anyone assist in finding it?

Sure, you're not thinking of the Black Unicorn from Monsters of Faerun?

Mushroom

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: December 23, 2010, 12:43:38 PM »

I'm about positive, I've been looking at said monster entry and the picture definitely isn't what I remembered. I believe the one I'm thinking of had blood running from its eyes and wasn't called a black unicorn

Abner

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #88 on: December 23, 2010, 12:46:01 PM »

I'm about positive, I've been looking at said monster entry and the picture definitely isn't what I remembered. I believe the one I'm thinking of had blood running from its eyes and wasn't called a black unicorn
Well do you have anymore, to go on ?

Mushroom

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: December 23, 2010, 12:56:04 PM »

Unfortunately not

Abner

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #90 on: December 23, 2010, 01:16:45 PM »

Unfortunately not
Bloodlance from Dragon 357?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 01:19:47 PM by Abner »

Mushroom

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: December 23, 2010, 01:26:42 PM »

Unfortunately not
Bloodlance from Dragon 357?
Thanks!

dna1

• Hong Kong
  • Im not albino Im just from Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: December 23, 2010, 01:47:12 PM »
q 23. wheres the diplomancer stuff?
Slappin ho's like E-Honda

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #93 on: December 23, 2010, 01:51:55 PM »

I was under the impression, it was primarily in the arse?

Oh wait, that was just a specific build. 

Dunno where the threads are located but, Half Elf Bard/Marshal/Warlock/Dragonfire Adept/Binder(Naberius) with Nymph's Kiss and motivate charisma.  Optionally heading into Exemplar to diplomance via other skills.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: December 23, 2010, 01:56:37 PM »

I was under the impression, it was primarily in the arse?

Oh wait, that was just a specific build. 

Dunno where the threads are located but, Half Elf Bard/Marshal/Warlock/Dragonfire Adept/Binder(Naberius) with Nymph's Kiss and motivate charisma.  Optionally heading into Exemplar to diplomance via other skills.
I always threw a level of cleric in there as well for the skill bonus spells that you can either memorize, or have as a wand.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: December 23, 2010, 02:34:18 PM »
Q 24 Question for the Monster of Legend template. Enhanced DCs are +4 to all creatures DCs. Does this include spells? Also, casts as a 5th level cleric with those three domains on list. How many total spells do you get for each level? Do you get the "+1" domain spells too? What about for ability modifiers (like if the creature had WIS 20)?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

CyMage

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #96 on: December 23, 2010, 02:40:21 PM »
Q25  I'm looking for targets to use Simulacrum on that can cast Wish or Miracle.  So far Efreet, Planetar and Solar come to mind as possible monsters to copy.  Anything else?  I can cast Simulacrum myself, I need Wish/Miracle.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #97 on: December 23, 2010, 02:52:08 PM »
A25 Noble Djinn can do it 3/day.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

CyMage

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #98 on: December 23, 2010, 03:36:24 PM »

True, the only problem I see is the "A noble djinni can grant three wishes to any being (nongenies only) who captures it. Noble djinn perform no other services and, upon granting the third wish, are free of their servitude."  I can see my DM making me release it as soon as the third wish is done.

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: December 23, 2010, 03:44:15 PM »

True, the only problem I see is the "A noble djinni can grant three wishes to any being (nongenies only) who captures it. Noble djinn perform no other services and, upon granting the third wish, are free of their servitude."  I can see my DM making me release it as soon as the third wish is done.

A question....
How are you making the similacrum?You have to use a part of the creature as a material component,maybe you should see what kind of creature parts you can acquire first and then choose the best option....