Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question 21: Dunkadooballs!  (Read 162131 times)

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: Ask a Simple Question 21: Dunkadooballs!
« Reply #460 on: January 05, 2011, 06:09:40 PM »
Action points, maybe?
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Saeomon

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • A real rules lawyer
« Reply #461 on: January 05, 2011, 06:12:03 PM »
Q134: Do templates change character aging? Specifically would adding a template that changes your type change at what age you gain your penalties/bonuses?

A134: It is commonly accepted that a Kobold who takes the Dragonwrought feat and thereby has its type changed to Dragon ages as a true dragon would age. Therefore, I believe the answer to your question is yes.

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #462 on: January 05, 2011, 06:12:18 PM »
How do you apply lycanthrope to a nonhumanoid?
I don't.  I was merely indicating I was already aware of those two templates as adding HD.  I was hoping there were others.
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #463 on: January 05, 2011, 06:12:54 PM »
How do you apply lycanthrope to a nonhumanoid?
I don't.  I was merely indicating I was already aware of those two templates as adding HD.  I was hoping there were others.
I believe you can use it on monstrous humanoids and giants, as well.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #464 on: January 05, 2011, 06:14:04 PM »
Q134: Do templates change character aging? Specifically would adding a template that changes your type change at what age you gain your penalties/bonuses?

A134: It is commonly accepted that a Kobold who takes the Dragonwrought feat and thereby has its type changed to Dragon ages as a true dragon would age. Therefore, I believe the answer to your question is yes.
Dragonwrought has specific rulestext, though.

Depends upon the template.  Undead don't age, for example, but outsiders vary. 
Planetouched Handbook

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #465 on: January 05, 2011, 06:19:33 PM »

They do tend to rot, though. Gentle repose FTW.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #466 on: January 05, 2011, 06:22:31 PM »

Well the issue is sprung from the DWK argument. I had a thought as to whether or not adding half-dragon changed or eliminated the base creature's age categories as it is no longer a member of that race, thus the table presenting their age categories and what ages there were changes in stats is rendered useless.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #467 on: January 05, 2011, 06:23:13 PM »
Gets confusion.  For example, it's perfectly possible to have a half-blue-dragon blue dragon. 
Planetouched Handbook

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #468 on: January 05, 2011, 06:37:08 PM »
I would like to chime in and note that DWK's aging as dragons being commonly accepted means neither that it's right nor that it's what a DM would accept.  In fact, the Dragonwrought feat does very little to the aging process of a Kobold: eliminating aging penalties and extending the ultimate lifespan of the kobold by a small amount.  It does not cause you to gain age categories as a true dragon.

As for other templates, a fluff argument could be made for gaining the mental bonuses on-schedule for undead templates, and not taking the physical penalties.  In pretty much every other case, however, there are simply no rules at all regarding what happens to a creature's age categories once you stick a template on it.  Not even in Savage Species.

Saeomon

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • A real rules lawyer
« Reply #469 on: January 05, 2011, 06:45:16 PM »
Well, if I'm wrong then I'm wrong. :-)

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #470 on: January 05, 2011, 07:10:02 PM »
I would like to chime in and note that DWK's aging as dragons being commonly accepted means neither that it's right nor that it's what a DM would accept.  In fact, the Dragonwrought feat does very little to the aging process of a Kobold: eliminating aging penalties and extending the ultimate lifespan of the kobold by a small amount.  It does not cause you to gain age categories as a true dragon.

As for other templates, a fluff argument could be made for gaining the mental bonuses on-schedule for undead templates, and not taking the physical penalties.  In pretty much every other case, however, there are simply no rules at all regarding what happens to a creature's age categories once you stick a template on it.  Not even in Savage Species.
Check RotD again, kobold age section. DWK speciically run off another aging table that has dragon age categories.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #471 on: January 05, 2011, 07:46:51 PM »
Q 132 Is there a way to give a death knight additional uses of their Abyssal Blast instead of just 1/day?
Squire of legend.

If it's (sp), magic-blooded works as well.
Somehow I don't think so on either.

Squire of Legend lets you choose from a list of what abilities to take. At no point did I read "gain an additional use of a X/day use ability."

And magic-blooded doesn't work like that. It's a 3.0 template that gives you a list of SLA at 2nd character level.

Now, Magic in the Blood technically could, but that's a Faerun regional feat, and that's much too limiting. Now I know what you're all going to say. "Well you don't have to take the regional part with it." Yes, you do. If you're allowing homebrew in your games to say that it doesn't, that's fine. But that doesn't work here this time. Sorry. If you think it's stupid, and DMs who don't homebrew like you guys do, that's fine too. You're entitled to your opinions.

But I need something a little more universal. If what's above are the only options, then the answer is "No, there is not a way for the death knight to gain additional uses of their Abyssal Blast."

To rephrase your question, you're looking for a method of obtaining extra uses of a Supernatural ability which may only be used 1/day, that Supernatural ability having been gained through the application of a template to a base creature, in this case a humanoid.

To answer that question, I do not believe there is any official method that may be used to attain that goal.
That's what I wondered.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #472 on: January 05, 2011, 07:53:16 PM »
I would like to chime in and note that DWK's aging as dragons being commonly accepted means neither that it's right nor that it's what a DM would accept.  In fact, the Dragonwrought feat does very little to the aging process of a Kobold: eliminating aging penalties and extending the ultimate lifespan of the kobold by a small amount.  It does not cause you to gain age categories as a true dragon.

As for other templates, a fluff argument could be made for gaining the mental bonuses on-schedule for undead templates, and not taking the physical penalties.  In pretty much every other case, however, there are simply no rules at all regarding what happens to a creature's age categories once you stick a template on it.  Not even in Savage Species.
Check RotD again, kobold age section. DWK speciically run off another aging table that has dragon age categories.
Actually all kobolds use that table. They also have the normal Aging effects table that dictates when they gain stat bonuses & penalties.

Interestingly I found a partial answer to my question. RotD p61 under death states that Half-Dragons live longer than thier base race but don't live as long as dragons. It even calls out pairing between an elf and a dragon can create a half-dragon that can live as long as a great wyrm.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 07:59:22 PM by archangel.arcanis »
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #473 on: January 05, 2011, 07:57:46 PM »
MEGABUMP
Q116: What are some things I can do with smite (evil) besides, well, smiting? Waging peace and all that.

Um no... You can level drain that 2nd RHD, replace the first with a class level and then buyoff the 2 LA.
Source please?
Were you not the one arguing with crumudgeon that any 1RHD race, not just humanoids can replace it with a class level? The Level drain can be permanent when you fail the save and we know LA doesn't matter races like drow.
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #474 on: January 05, 2011, 08:10:24 PM »
Were you not the one arguing with crumudgeon that any 1RHD race, not just humanoids can replace it with a class level? The Level drain can be permanent when you fail the save and we know LA doesn't matter races like drow.
You don't replace it.  You just don't ever pick it up at character creation if your base race has 1 RHD.

There's also no rulestext that says you're allowed to choose something other than your racial hit dice.  In addition, as previously mentioned, the section in savage species refers to the base race's hit dice - not your hit dice as a character, so you're not getting ahead in ECL.
Planetouched Handbook

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #475 on: January 05, 2011, 08:19:52 PM »
MEGABUMP
Q116: What are some things I can do with smite (evil) besides, well, smiting? Waging peace and all that.
well, let's see can:
- bypass DR/good
- bull rush/overrun
- Inspire Courage
- generally fuck shit up
there are also a metric fuck-ton of feats that let you smite other types of creatures (hint: you'll want to use ctrl-f)

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #476 on: January 05, 2011, 09:01:22 PM »
You don't replace it.  You just don't ever pick it up at character creation if your base race has 1 RHD.

There's also no rulestext that says you're allowed to choose something other than your racial hit dice.  In addition, as previously mentioned, the section in savage species refers to the base race's hit dice - not your hit dice as a character, so you're not getting ahead in ECL.

For humanoids there is, though I'm at a loss at what is supposed to happen to tieflings or the like.

Humanoids with 1 Hit Die exchange the features of their humanoid Hit Die for the class features of a PC or NPC class.

What happens if a bugbear loses two of its racial hitdie? it is then a humanoid with 1 hitdie and because of the text above will be forced to take a class level.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #477 on: January 05, 2011, 09:21:05 PM »
I would like to chime in and note that DWK's aging as dragons being commonly accepted means neither that it's right nor that it's what a DM would accept.  In fact, the Dragonwrought feat does very little to the aging process of a Kobold: eliminating aging penalties and extending the ultimate lifespan of the kobold by a small amount.  It does not cause you to gain age categories as a true dragon.

As for other templates, a fluff argument could be made for gaining the mental bonuses on-schedule for undead templates, and not taking the physical penalties.  In pretty much every other case, however, there are simply no rules at all regarding what happens to a creature's age categories once you stick a template on it.  Not even in Savage Species.
Actually all kobolds use that table. They also have the normal Aging effects table that dictates when they gain stat bonuses & penalties.

Interestingly I found a partial answer to my question. RotD p61 under death states that Half-Dragons live longer than thier base race but don't live as long as dragons. It even calls out pairing between an elf and a dragon can create a half-dragon that can live as long as a great wyrm.
In other words, the first table is fluff, the second is mechanics.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #478 on: January 05, 2011, 09:29:48 PM »
The SRD website is kind of dumb about replacing the first RHD; the actual books don't mention humanoids at all - much like the whole "dex0=paralysis", they just screwed up when they transferred the info.
Planetouched Handbook

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #479 on: January 05, 2011, 09:31:35 PM »

In other words, the first table is fluff, the second is mechanics.
If it's a table, it's not fluff.  All Kobolds have 12 age categories (the same 12 as Dragons, I might add).  That said, this is irrelevant to the question.

While I'm pretty sure that many templates change the creature's lifespan, I can't think of any at all that have an actual listing of by how much (except undead templates which are indefinitely).
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.