Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question 25: Welcome to DIE!  (Read 160379 times)

Talore

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Viking Skald
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question 25: Welcome to DIE!
« Reply #720 on: June 25, 2011, 12:06:49 AM »
Q 263: Is there any 1 HD creature out there with a breath weapon?  (Not counting templated forms.)

Thanks   :D
A dragonfire adept 1...
Backseat moderator (voice) -_-

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #721 on: June 25, 2011, 12:16:35 AM »
Q 263: Is there any 1 HD creature out there with a breath weapon?  (Not counting templated forms.)

Thanks   :D
mephlings from planar handbook do.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

geniussavant

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #722 on: June 25, 2011, 12:41:48 AM »
Q252 Can someone please explain how to use Elemental binding as a cost reducer. Preferably with sources listed. I've read about it, but I'm still pretty lost. If it matters, it's for an artificer build with elemental binding and magical artisan: elemental binding along with extraordinary artisan and legendary artisan. I'm still creating the character(lvl 20) so if it doesn't work, I'll just change the feats. Thanks

bump
[spoiler]
I see that you want to solve problems. Not problems like, "What is beauty?," because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of 'philosophy'. You want to solve practical problems. F'r instance, how are you gonna stop some big, mean Mother Hubbard from tearing you a structurally superfluous new behind? The answer: Use a gun. And if that don't work? Use more gun.
And if that fails try this

[/spoiler]

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #723 on: June 25, 2011, 12:56:09 AM »
Q 263: Is there any 1 HD creature out there with a breath weapon?  (Not counting templated forms.)

Thanks   :D
A dragonfire adept 1...

A263: Binder 1 bound to Amon.

Q264: How does an NPC become immune to diplomacy?  An Expert is wrecking my campaign. Edit: This is not a joke question, I hope to get an actual answer to this.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #724 on: June 25, 2011, 02:08:27 AM »
Q264: How does an NPC become immune to diplomacy?  An Expert is wrecking my campaign. Edit: This is not a joke question, I hope to get an actual answer to this.
Become Mindless.  Sadly, that's the only defense against Diplomacy.

Q265: Is there a list anywhere of domains for dieties?  Specifically, I need ones that have the Destruction domain.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 02:30:14 AM by snakeman830 »
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #725 on: June 25, 2011, 03:36:09 AM »
Q264: How does an NPC become immune to diplomacy? 

I believe the traditional method is wax in the ears.
Planetouched Handbook

Talore

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Viking Skald
    • Email
« Reply #726 on: June 25, 2011, 04:03:39 AM »
Q 263: Is there any 1 HD creature out there with a breath weapon?  (Not counting templated forms.)

A dragonfire adept 1...

Q264: How does an NPC become immune to diplomacy?  An Expert is wrecking my campaign. Edit: This is not a joke question, I hope to get an actual answer to this.
Is this the lucid-dreaming expert that I think it is?
Backseat moderator (voice) -_-

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #727 on: June 25, 2011, 04:34:19 AM »
House rule it, or use Pathfinder's version, or combine the two. Another is emphasize the part where it says Even if the initial Diplomacy check succeeds, the other character can be persuaded only so far,. If I'm an NPC, and I want you dead, you can only make me not want to kill you so much. Lastly, make them unable to speak the diplomacer's language. If they have tongues that makes this difficult of course.

Q265: Is there a list anywhere of domains for dieties?  Specifically, I need ones that have the Destruction domain.
Not a specific list, but if you check out http://chet.kindredcircle.org/ and look up the deities, just Search for Destruction and you'll get the ones listed.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 01:24:52 PM by kevin_video »
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Hasmadad

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #728 on: June 25, 2011, 10:31:34 AM »

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #729 on: June 25, 2011, 01:07:31 PM »

A dragonfire adept 1...

Sure is.  This campaign NEEDS to exist somewhere.  But I also want to make a few NPCs the party can rely on and I thought having a few immune to diplomacy would be helpful.  However, mindless NPCs don't sound very helpful. 

I also don't want to house rule it or just kill the Expert because that would ruin the fun of the campaign.  I want him to mind rape MOST people, just not all.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #730 on: June 25, 2011, 01:28:16 PM »

Sure is.  This campaign NEEDS to exist somewhere.  But I also want to make a few NPCs the party can rely on and I thought having a few immune to diplomacy would be helpful.  However, mindless NPCs don't sound very helpful. 

I also don't want to house rule it or just kill the Expert because that would ruin the fun of the campaign.  I want him to mind rape MOST people, just not all.
Well, like I said you could just use the Pathfinder one, but since Diplomacy is mind-affecting, just have a few NPCs be feytouched. They're immune.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #731 on: June 25, 2011, 01:49:30 PM »
Only the epic use of diplomacy (fanatic) is mind-affecting, called out in the text itself.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #732 on: June 25, 2011, 02:26:55 PM »
Q266: Does Residual Magic feat from Complete Mage, interact with ShadowCraft Mage in a way I'm going to like?
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Hazren

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #733 on: June 25, 2011, 02:29:40 PM »

Q264: How does an NPC become immune to diplomacy?  An Expert is wrecking my campaign. Edit: This is not a joke question, I hope to get an actual answer to this.

Pull the player to the side and tell them to cut back on the diplomacy it's wrecking the campaign would be the easiest if it's a mature player. They sometimes run with something and don't realise they are making a mess of things.

Or if you need to apply negative modifiers to their diplomacy on a regular bassis till they get the hint.

Are you dressed like the person you are trying this on? No, then that's a minus 5 because he thinks you are too stuck up or a bum.
Are you the same class as the person you are trying this on? No, then that's a minus 10 because he thinks his class is the only equal on the planet.
Are you from the same country or region as the person? No, then that's a minus 20 due to bigotry.
Are they the same race? No another minus 20.

You can come up with all sorts of things to bring something in check. Just explain up front what you are doing and use it equaly to player and NPC alike. ;)
"My solution way too often is to press the red button and see the world burn, which brings us back to the fiery pits of Hell..."
Tshern

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #734 on: June 25, 2011, 02:38:38 PM »
Q267

Would it meaningfully affect game balance if, in keeping with a houserule that Conjuration (Healing) spells are now Necromancy (Healing), all such spells in Core were added to the Dread Necromancer spell list at the appropriate level for a Cleric? For reference, the spoiler below contains a list of all such spells. Heal Mount has been omitted, because that would be silly.

[spoiler]Cure X Wounds, Delay Poison, Heal, Mass Heal, Neutralize Poison, Raise Dead (and variants thereof), Regenerate, Remove Blindness/Deafness, Remove Disease, Remove Paralysis, Restoration (and variants thereof)[/spoiler]
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #735 on: June 25, 2011, 03:23:47 PM »
Q268: Is there an easy way to start a bardic music effect as a free action, or extend the duration of Doomspeak beyond 1 round?
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #736 on: June 25, 2011, 03:25:31 PM »
Q267

Would it meaningfully affect game balance if, in keeping with a houserule that Conjuration (Healing) spells are now Necromancy (Healing), all such spells in Core were added to the Dread Necromancer spell list at the appropriate level for a Cleric? For reference, the spoiler below contains a list of all such spells. Heal Mount has been omitted, because that would be silly.

[spoiler]Cure X Wounds, Delay Poison, Heal, Mass Heal, Neutralize Poison, Raise Dead (and variants thereof), Regenerate, Remove Blindness/Deafness, Remove Disease, Remove Paralysis, Restoration (and variants thereof)[/spoiler]

Game balance? No. Flavor? Probably.

Remember, healing is a tertiary role at best. It's better not to have to fix things. None of those spells actually PREVENT anything, except maybe Delay Poison. You'd be using those as downtime spells, so it's not a big deal.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #737 on: June 25, 2011, 03:32:29 PM »
You could also diplomance first.
Planetouched Handbook

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #738 on: June 25, 2011, 05:48:45 PM »
Q269
If I have rendered myself immune to protection from evil (either through spell immunity, or otherwise sufficient spell resistance), will my necrotic cyst work?

thanks.

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

Vicerious

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Foolish Mortal
    • Email
« Reply #739 on: June 25, 2011, 05:58:07 PM »
Q269
If I have rendered myself immune to protection from evil (either through spell immunity, or otherwise sufficient spell resistance), will my necrotic cyst work?

thanks.

It seems that the only thing necrotic cyst cares about is whether protection from evil is present on the target.  If you try to implant a cyst in a target protected from evil, then it is prevented, full stop.
"A witty saying proves nothing." --Voltaire