Author Topic: Is Pathfinder really that bad?  (Read 47887 times)

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: Is Pathfinder really that bad?
« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2009, 04:32:49 PM »
I've been playing a bard in our campaign under PF rules and i must admit the changes have been extremely valueable and, most importantly, fun. The changes alone to bardic music make it useable every fight and powerful enough to make it feel like youre making a difference. The fact it doesnt require concentration, can be kept up as swift or move action, and is one feat away (not a PF feat but still) from being able to spellcast while singing, is amazing and makes you feel like you're doing some serious buffing and debuffing out there. Also the change to Bardic Knowledge is awesome, having a clear definition of what it is now prevent so much arguing with you DM about what you know about things.

The real crux of pathfinder is: is it more fun? Do your characters feel like they are doing more and fit in more organically? I'd say yes. With the increase of skill useage (hell I put a point in profession Sailor for, get this, fun & roleplaying), ease and increase in class features, you might be doing less actual damage/healing/crowd control in a round, but you feel like you are doing more.

A big consideration is the campaign you run, as the Paizo printed ones are very strong imo for skill useage, and not overly challenging to a charop user, so you can go all out with goofing around with character concepts.

Thanks for the info Glutton - the Bard is one of the classes that a lot of people disliked the changes for, so it's interesting to see that you prefer the PF version.  I know the bard in my party never runs out of bardic music attempts, but that's because he never actually uses them :P

Actually, the comment about singing and casting spells brings up something I wasn't sure about.  PF removes the line in bardic music which states that you can't cast a spell or use a spell trigger device while singing - but it doesn't add in one saying that you can do so either.  So I'm not really sure if the designers intended for it to be possible or not. 

Even if it's not possible, given that you can start and stop singing each round (though then you wouldn't be maintaining it as a free action, but in core PF, how many swift actions will most bards actually have?), you could just cast a spell, sing, stop singing, cast a spell, sing, etc. 

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2009, 04:46:36 PM »
Even if it's not possible, given that you can start and stop singing each round (though then you wouldn't be maintaining it as a free action, but in core PF, how many swift actions will most bards actually have?), you could just cast a spell, sing, stop singing, cast a spell, sing, etc. 

Aye, it's kinda the reason the Shapeshift druid wouldn't ever need natural spell, too.

Still, given that the best Bardic Song is Inspire Courage (which does not require an action to sustain, might I add; thus, Perform(Singing) or Perform(Tapdancing) outclass any other perform skills for this) and that as levels rise most bards have more Bardic Music uses than they know what to do with, I suppose the extra songs in PF aren't half bad.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Glutton

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2009, 10:30:04 PM »
Even with the line about being to cast removed i have Melodic Spellcasting feat from complete mage. And really the song that leaves enemies automatically shaken is the real winner. Our party sorc has the infernal bloodline and used corrupting touch to good effect a couple of times on already shaken monsters. Our party rogue/assassin has the dazzling display line which allows you to sneak attack shaken foes, which leads to some nice and simple symmetry between them. Really with the length of combat and the extra rounds songs last in a really hectic fight I often "twist" them, starting a new one every round letting my party get all sorts of goodies.

Treantmonklvl20

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2009, 03:32:02 PM »
Bard's got a fair amount of love in Pathfinder, not as much as Paladin's of course, but still they made out pretty well.  I've done a handbook for core Pathfinder bards (and Wizards and Rangers) that you can find HERE.

Skills: A Bard can really go to town on skills, since each Perform type he gets will eventually cover 2 other skills with that Performance skill.  Skills that would normally work off a dump stat (like Sense Motive) can be covered with Versatile Performance adding CHA, Class skill bonus and the Perform rank.

Knowledges: OK, they are skills too - but this needs special mention.  A Bard who takes one rank in each knowledge is an expert on all of them forever.  Here's where you demand evidence...happy to oblige.  Imagine a 10th level Druid with Knowledge (nature) 10 ranks, +2 Int bonus, Nature Sense (+2) and +3 for class skill.  That Druid is rolling d20+17, average of 27.  Now a Bard with one rank, +3 class skill bonus, +5 Bardic Knowledge bonus, +2 Int bonus, and he can take 20 on the roll.  That's a guaranteed 30.  The Bard compares effectively against true "experts" on skills right up to level 20, with 1 rank.

Arcane Strike: A feat made for Bard's that adds damage to attacks - melee or ranged, dependant on your Caster Level.  A great way for ranged attack Bards to deal with the ranged attack damage problem.  Add in Bardic Music and Bards are doing more damage with Arrows than any other class.  It's not a specific feature of the Bard class, but it's a feat that gives more to the Bard than other classes.

PF removes the line in bardic music which states that you can't cast a spell or use a spell trigger device while singing - but it doesn't add in one saying that you can do so either.  So I'm not really sure if the designers intended for it to be possible or not.  

James Jacobs is Editor in Chief not a designer, but he's related that he's seen it done.  The Pathfinder rules are independant, so if the Pathfinder rules don't have that stipulation, it doesn't apply.

Of course, D8 HP is preferrable to d6

Finally - spellcasting.  Bards now get more castings, cast higher level spells earlier, and know more spells than in 3.5

« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 03:34:51 PM by Treantmonklvl20 »
If at first you don't succeed - maybe failure is your style.

Treantmonklvl20

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2009, 03:39:52 PM »
Unfortunately, while Clerics and Druids moved down in T1, wizards moved up. Their average HP almost doubled. Their 20 starting Int combined with the changes to the skill system gave them a huge improvement in skills.

Core spells got nerfed, but all the other sources are still available. There is actually a big argument about this going on at TGD at the moment, so I won't get deeper into it.

From an optimization standpoint, Wizards are one of the few classes that got worse in Pathfinder (assuming core Pathfinder rules).  Druids may have gotten the bigger Nerf...I'm still evaluating the Druid.

Wizards are still the best class, but the gap is narrower than in 3.5.  Much narrower than 3.5 core.  This certainly goes against the rumor, but the rumor is based on misleading information.

Only if 3.5 material can be mined freely did Wizards actually get tougher.  The rumor regarding the gap getting bigger absolutely relies on this being the case.

This was the agreement we reached at the Gaming Den.  Frank Trollman eventually agreed that his argument that the gap between Wizards and Fighters got bigger relied on 3.5 material being allowed, but we continue to disagree about how often 3.5 material is allowed to be mined in Pathfinder games.

When you make spells less powerful, you make Wizards less powerful.  Giving them a couple more HP is meaningless in comparison, and requires a lack of understanding why Wizards are the best class.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 03:54:11 PM by Treantmonklvl20 »

Unbeliever

• King Kong
« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2009, 04:23:10 PM »
Wizards are still the best class, but the gap is narrower than in 3.5.  Much narrower than 3.5 core.  This certainly goes against the rumor, but the rumor is based on misleading information.

Only if 3.5 material can be mined freely did Wizards actually get tougher.  The rumor regarding the gap getting bigger absolutely relies on this being the case.

This brings up something that has been persistently on my mind.  I, like the bulk of us in this forum (I presume), am a 3.5 guy at heart.  So, the appeal of Pathfinder is that it allows me to still use that shelf full of 3.5 stuff I've got.  It sounds like that might be less true in actual practice, which was something I had worried about (and, truth be told, sort of expected).  It also was probably too much to hope for a document that helped us figure out what from 3.5 played nice w/ Pathfinder and not. 

Oh well, like so many things, it might be worth picking out the parts that my group and I like, e.g., the skill system and maybe some additional barbarian abilities, which makes it worth at least picking up on pdf. 

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2009, 05:14:49 PM »
Unfortunately, while Clerics and Druids moved down in T1, wizards moved up. Their average HP almost doubled. Their 20 starting Int combined with the changes to the skill system gave them a huge improvement in skills.

From an optimization standpoint, Wizards are one of the few classes that got worse in Pathfinder (assuming core Pathfinder rules).  Druids may have gotten the bigger Nerf...I'm still evaluating the Druid.

I agree with your assessment of Wizards.

With respect to Druids I find they've been toned down, but are still powerful. I've played a melee based Druid who would wildshape into animal form before entering combat. I started with an 18 strength and found I was competitive with damage versus pure melee classes, while keeping spells available. I think wildshape and polymorph are weaker because you now require strong physical stats to melee. But I don't think they're a complete waste of time because wildshape has a nice long duration and the bonus to stats from it stacks with magic items or Bull's Strength.

Treantmonklvl20

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: November 21, 2009, 07:18:08 PM »
I was looking at the viability of the Druid in melee in Pathfinder and yes, I think you really have to choose at character creation if this is going to be your character direction or not.

If not, then you really need to focus on casting.  With the ability to take a domain (Weather is decent) they can get some sustainability on casting memorizations.

For a melee Druid you can definitely compete offensively if you have good base physical stats.  Check out the Deinonychus as an entry level Wildshape.  If you pick up an Ape as your Animal companion, by level 5 you can expect to be outdamaging pretty much any other class in combat (even the Paladin), but the defense isn't as strong.

As for Backwards Compatibility, yeah, unfortunately it's not all it cracked up to be.  You can make it work, but it slows down gameplay, which is a pretty big price to pay.

Braithwaite

• Email
« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2009, 01:17:05 PM »

Core spells got nerfed, but all the other sources are still available. There is actually a big argument about this going on at TGD at the moment, so I won't get deeper into it.

This was the agreement we reached at the Gaming Den.  Frank Trollman eventually agreed that his argument that the gap between Wizards and Fighters got bigger relied on 3.5 material being allowed, but we continue to disagree about how often 3.5 material is allowed to be mined in Pathfinder games.

When you make spells less powerful, you make Wizards less powerful.  Giving them a couple more HP is meaningless in comparison, and requires a lack of understanding why Wizards are the best class.

In a very small proportion of optimized games, you are right. In the huge majority of cases, you could not be more wrong.

Level 1-4. Wizards made huge gains. In these levels, the added hit points do make a huge difference, as the wizard does not need to live in fear of a stray arrow or an unlucky crit. The skill points are also important here. The change in stats raises all of their save DCs for their save or lose spells, and they have 66% more spells at level 1, 33% more level 2 spells at level 3, etc.

Level 5-12. Wizards still make big gains. Hit points do still matter for most of this range, if only in not accidently being taken out by a trap or an AOE. Skill points still matter, because it doesn't matter how good your spells are if you get crushed in a surprise round. Now a wizard can easily have his level ranks in spot and listen. Feats are a big improvement. You have 1 free item crafting feat from your bonded item, more feats in general, and the wizards feats weren't gimped like the melee ones. Your save DCs are still higher. By this level, you have a nice large spellbook, so the ability to cherry pick one needed spell per day matters.

Level 13+ Wizard loses and it doesn't matter at all. Yes, the extra hp don't matter by this point, and neither do the skills. The bonded item is less important, because the wiz can have all the right spells prepared with good scrying, or can duplicate weaker spells with things like wish or ltd wish. But, this is the least played level range, and it has always been where the wiz dominated.

Wizards mid-high level strength comes at least as much from his versatility as the strength of his spells. The strength of some, but not nearly all spells are nerfed, but his versatility has only improved. He has more spells (higher casting stat). He can pull spells that he didn't know to prepare (Bonded item). If he encounters a situation where he needs to prepare Control Undead, or Contingency, or Charm Monster, he can do so, despite having necromancy, evocation or enchantment as banned schools, or he can use them from spell trigger or completion items.

For 95% of games, wizards are much stronger. Dismissing that as a rumor is dishonest.

Treantmonklvl20

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: November 22, 2009, 02:28:41 PM »
Sorry Braithewaite, now I have to destroy your post.
In a very small proportion of optimized games, you are right. In the huge majority of cases, you could not be more wrong.

Obviously, you need to back that statement up.  Let's see your evidence in turn.

Level 1-4. Wizards made huge gains. In these levels, the added hit points do make a huge difference, as the wizard does not need to live in fear of a stray arrow or an unlucky crit.

I agree more HP are always nice to have though, for any class.  Do more HP favor Wizards more than other classes?  They certainly gain a larger ratio of HP, but on the other hand, being out of harm's way most of the time means they need them less often.  I think it's debatable whether Wizards are the big winners in regards to HP.  I have to think Bards or Rogues benifit more.

The skill points are also important here. The change in stats raises all of their save DCs for their save or lose spells, and they have 66% more spells at level 1, 33% more level 2 spells at level 3, etc.

Oh goody.  Someone reads Frank Trollman's work, or did this trickle down from someone else who read it.

This is just a fallacy.  3.5 Core Wizards can get a +2 Int too.  Grey. elf.  Once you move beyond Core, there are multiple +2 Int options including the almighty whisper gnome.  The point is that Pathfinder Wizards won't have a higher primary stat than their 3.5 counterparts.

They may however have a higher Secondary stat, since the stats net a bonus now.  However, a higher secondary stat doesn't particularly favor Wizards opposed to other classes.  Show me how the Wizard gains more from a net+2 to stats (not Int) than another class.

Now, tell me this.  My 3.5 Wizard casts Glitterdust, and all within make a save or are blinded for 1 round/level.  In Pathfinder this spell has been nerfed so they get an extra save every round to dismiss the effect.  There are no other 2nd level spells as good as the original Glitterdust in Pathfinder.  Does this not mean a loss in power?  If not, how so?  Aren't spells the most important part of a Wizards power?

It's not just Glitterdust either.  How about Grease, Protection from X, Ray of enfeeblement, Web, Alter Self and more.

How many HP does a Wizard need before weaker spells isn't the biggest factor of the changes anymore?  

Level 5-12. Wizards still make big gains. Hit points do still matter for most of this range, if only in not accidently being taken out by a trap or an AOE. Skill points still matter, because it doesn't matter how good your spells are if you get crushed in a surprise round.

Now we are talking about Magic Circle, Dispel Magic, Evard's, Solid Fog (weeps), Polymorph (of course) and more.  The staples of the 3.5 core wizard.

Yep, they throw you some extra HP for it, though there are far better defenses against this kind of stuff than HP.  WE're of course just debating the possible power-up or power-down for the Wizard at this level.  Nevermind comparing him to...oh - you've seen the Paladin now right?

Now a wizard can easily have his level ranks in spot and listen.
So what?  So can every class in Pathfinder, even the fighter.  Everyone gets more skills now, not just Wizards.

Feats are a big improvement.
Feats are about the same for Wizards, you get more, just like everyone else does, but about the same power wise.  No candy for wizards like the Melee characters got with the critical line, or archers got with the Deadly aim solving of the damage problem.

You have 1 free item crafting feat from your bonded item, more feats in general, and the wizards feats weren't gimped like the melee ones.

Melee feats were badly gimped in Beta - in the official they went the other way.  I can't think of a single 3.5 core feat that compares with any of the critical feats for example.

Some melee feats were definitely changed, but saying they are worse is debatable.  Cleave no longer requires you to kill someone to get an extra attack, Power attack doubled the damage bonus for the to hit penalty, Combat Maneuver feats offer tricks you could never do in 3.5 like having your Bull Rush affect multiple targets, or having your Overrun knock people prone, or having the victim of your trip provoke attacks of opportunity from all adjacent allies.

If you add something and take something away - whether it got better or worse becomes debatable.  Personally, I think melee feats that got changed, in general got better.  Melee feats that were added are in some cases better than any 3.5 core option that exist for meleers period.  Feats like Stunning or Blinding critical.

Your save DCs are still higher.

Still not higher.

By this level, you have a nice large spellbook, so the ability to cherry pick one needed spell per day matters.

Whoops I missed arcane bond!  The Wizards achilles heel!  Yeah, lets just say it's highly debatable whether this is worth giving up a familiar for.  My recommendation is to keep the familiar, but it is certainly debatable.

Level 13+ Wizard loses and it doesn't matter at all. Yes, the extra hp don't matter by this point, and neither do the skills. The bonded item is less important, because the wiz can have all the right spells prepared with good scrying, or can duplicate weaker spells with things like wish or ltd wish. But, this is the least played level range, and it has always been where the wiz dominated.

How does this support the gap getting bigger?  "Level 13+ Wizard loses and it doesn't matter at all."?
Let me be clear here.  Your burden of proof isn't "High level wizards are tough" since I never questioned that.  In fact my post specifically qualified that Wizards were still the most powerful class in the game, only that the gap was narrower than before.
In order to prove me wrong, you must show one of these things:
1) Wizards got more powerful and the non-casters didn't
2) Non-casters got less powerful and the Wizard didn't
3) Wizards gained more or lost less than the non-casters
Saying that level 13+ Wizards are tough even if they lost power overall doesn't prove any of those thngs, or even offer evidence towards any of those things.

Wizards mid-high level strength comes at least as much from his versatility as the strength of his spells. The strength of some, but not nearly all spells are nerfed, but his versatility has only improved. He has more spells (higher casting stat).

You keep coming back to this, which was false.  No higher casting stat.

He can pull spells that he didn't know to prepare (Bonded item).
 If he gives up his familiar, and you haven't established it as the better option.

If he encounters a situation where he needs to prepare Control Undead, or Contingency, or Charm Monster, he can do so, despite having necromancy, evocation or enchantment as banned schools, or he can use them from spell trigger or completion items.

And if we are comparing core, then 3.5 Wizards couldn't use those items.  You have now demonstrated a way that Pathfinder Wizards are better.  There is more too.  However, you've yet to show how these abilities create power beyond the nerfing of spells, nevermind power beyond the various "swag" that every non-caster got as well.

Prove that the Wizard's zswag is better, or at least provide some evidence that it is, or provide ANY evidence that it is.  Then when you are done that, then lets discuss if the difference makes up for weaker spells.  You are a long way from showing me wrong here.

For 95% of games, wizards are much stronger. Dismissing that as a rumor is dishonest.

My assertation was not that the rumor was that Wizards got less powerful (though that was my personal opinion which I shared), the incorrect rumor that I described was that the "Gap" between Wizards and non-casters got bigger.
And I'll do more than dismiss it as a rumor, I'll say that I don't believe the claim.

Any claim that wizards are more powerful for me would be convincing if companied with an increase in the power of casting spells.  A decrease in the power of casting spells coupled with more HP just isn't convincing.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 02:45:34 PM by Treantmonklvl20 »

A Man In Black

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Portrait of a Man in Black holding a Glove
« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2009, 04:41:54 PM »
Oh goody.  Someone reads Frank Trollman's work, or did this trickle down from someone else who read it.

TM, you're getting this from multiple people because it's really obvious. If you're playing a core-only game, the nerfed spells are either replaceable or still totally rock. If you're playing a non-core game, the wizard got a few fewer buffs and lost nothing at all.

The only spell level that is at all weaker is level 2, and PF web doesn't need anchors and is totally obnoxious.

Now we are talking about Magic Circle, Dispel Magic, Evard's, Solid Fog (weeps), Polymorph (of course) and more.  The staples of the 3.5 core wizard.

Dispel Magic getting nerfed is a caster buff. Magic Circle getting nerfed is more of a nerf for the classes with bad will saves. Polymorph hasn't been the broken spell of the chain since the PHB2/SC errata. Evards and Solid Fog got nerfed but Stone Shape, Wall of Ice, and Sleet Storm didn't so whatever, you just cast different spells.

Melee feats were badly gimped in Beta - in the official they went the other way.  I can't think of a single 3.5 core feat that compares with any of the critical feats for example.

The critical feats are Not Very Good. They kick in at high levels, and are mostly worse than Stunning Fist (which is your core feat that compares with them, BTW). Cleave is still not great even when you give it to a greatsword-wielding ranger, Power Attack no longer gets you gobs of damage once AC falls off, Bullrushes at huge penalties Don't Work so you don't get to Domino Rush people for free, Overrun has the same problem, etc.

But, the capper to all of this:

Whoops I missed arcane bond!  The Wizards achilles heel!  Yeah, lets just say it's highly debatable whether this is worth giving up a familiar for.  My recommendation is to keep the familiar, but it is certainly debatable.

Dude, you cannot even convince people on the Paizo boards that a free spell of any spell you want of any level isn't a hugely awesome feature.

If the GM wanted to screw you, he'd stomp you while you're sleeping.

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: November 22, 2009, 05:26:30 PM »
I think the threat that Arcane Bond brings is usually overstated. How often does your DM sunder a Wizard's spell book or a Fighter's sword? The caveat is some DMs do sunder, but in my experience it's very rare. If you found alacritous cogitation handy and find you keep running out of spells before your team mates then it will help.

The CMB system can be good, if only because it's easier to optimize that the old rules for trip or bull rush or what not. The thing about the critical feats that urkes me is that a falchion is a dramatically better weapon for them then anything else, and be the level you start to get them a lot of what your hitting is flat out immune to those effects. On the topic of fighter feats I actually like the new power attack when my friends use them. They can write down the math somewhere and now a Wizard can't do more damage in melee with his staff than a Fighter with his great sword.

The changes to spells, while they give in take I think are most glaring in that they are incomplete. More should have been changed, I'm think mainly about the more abusive divinations. It would have made Min/Max happy and the Paizos wouldn't have noticed the changes at all, or would be at a lose to explain why they where bad.

Treantmonklvl20

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: November 22, 2009, 06:19:21 PM »
TM, you're getting this from multiple people because it's really obvious. If you're playing a core-only game, the nerfed spells are either replaceable or still totally rock.   If you're playing a non-core game, the wizard got a few fewer buffs and lost nothing at all.
The only spell level that is at all weaker is level 2, and PF web doesn't need anchors and is totally obnoxious.

Most of the spell levels are weaker overall (because if you nerf one spell that I would have picked first, and make none of the spells better, the spell level in general has gotten worse), though I agree that level 2 is the only one where all the best spells were nerfed.  I disagree with your interpretation of the Web rules though.  This seems pretty clear to me:

Quote from: ”Pathfinder rules on Web”
These masses must be anchored to two or more solid and diametrically opposed points or else the web collapses upon itself and disappears.

Evards and Solid Fog got nerfed but Stone Shape, Wall of Ice, and Sleet Storm didn't so whatever, you just cast different spells.
The critical feats are Not Very Good. They kick in at high levels, and are mostly worse than Stunning Fist (which is your core feat that compares with them, BTW).
Cleave is still not great even when you give it to a greatsword-wielding ranger, Power Attack no longer gets you gobs of damage once AC falls off
Quote from: ”A Man in Black on another thread ”
...take a look at the PRD and AC across the board. ACs are up all over the place, and archers suddenly have a new and better dump to turn accuracy into damage. So Precise Shot is more important than ever, and Rapid Shot is less important because it's the weaker second-choice accuracy-for-damage tradeoff.
Dude, you cannot even convince people on the Paizo boards that a free spell of any spell you want of any level isn't a hugely awesome feature.
IS a consensus on the other board that the Bonded Item is better than a Familiar?  If so, let me know, as I can actually prove
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 06:25:54 PM by Treantmonklvl20 »

Unbeliever

• King Kong
« Reply #73 on: November 22, 2009, 08:46:12 PM »
The CMB system can be good, if only because it's easier to optimize that the old rules for trip or bull rush or what not. The thing about the critical feats that urkes me is that a falchion is a dramatically better weapon for them then anything else, and be the level you start to get them a lot of what your hitting is flat out immune to those effects. On the topic of fighter feats I actually like the new power attack when my friends use them. They can write down the math somewhere and now a Wizard can't do more damage in melee with his staff than a Fighter with his great sword.

My unscientific feeling about PF's melee feats was that they were generally gimped.  The crit line is neat, and PF's more general crit rules are something that I've been using for a while now, but as you note they kick in at really high levels.  I didn't love the new combat expertise or power attack at all.  I thought power attack was always nice b/c you could then build a fighter (or barb or whatever) who could keep up damagewise w/ say, a straightforward blaster spellcaster, which has always been a nice option among the people I game w/.  I can't see how to do that w/ PF.  Note that for ages we've always just pre-statted out power attack on our character sheet, usually something like 0, -4, -8, depending on the character. 

I am a bit wary about the CMB b/c monster's BABs and other attack bonuses scale faster than their stat mods, so it seemed hard on first read to see how those characters could still be viable.  People are telling me that any bonus to hit also helps the CMB, though, so I can see how there might be a way to do it -- especially w/ buffing though I usually like my builds to be more self-contained.  It does open up a really quirky use for True Strike, though. 

P.S.  My takeaway so far:
[spoiler]
It seems that there are very few things that people are like OMG, they fixed this and made it so much better!  Nerfing stuff like Polymorph was fairly obvious, and my groups tend to exercise a little restraint anyway.  My general read of the community is that some people like the changes, some people do not, but among people w/ even a bit of charop experience or inclination PF's review is just mixed.
[/spoiler]

Braithwaite

• Email
« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2009, 09:24:35 PM »

Level 1-4. Wizards made huge gains. In these levels, the added hit points do make a huge difference, as the wizard does not need to live in fear of a stray arrow or an unlucky crit.

I agree more HP are always nice to have though, for any class.  Do more HP favor Wizards more than other classes?  They certainly gain a larger ratio of HP, but on the other hand, being out of harm's way most of the time means they need them less often.  I think it's debatable whether Wizards are the big winners in regards to HP.  I have to think Bards or Rogues benifit more.

Rogues certainly got a lot of love. I might include them in the big winners list along with Wizards and Paladins. I have yet to see any kind of consensus on whether bards were buffed or nerfed. In any event, they are a caster class. Are bards "in harms way" a lot more than wizards? Maybe. They were certainly less likely to be taken out by a single crit from a lucky attacker.

The skill points are also important here. The change in stats raises all of their save DCs for their save or lose spells, and they have 66% more spells at level 1, 33% more level 2 spells at level 3, etc.

Oh goody.  Someone reads Frank Trollman's work, or did this trickle down from someone else who read it.

My opinions are based on my readings of the rules and observations. Any errors therein are entirely mine.

This is just a fallacy.  3.5 Core Wizards can get a +2 Int too.  Grey. elf.  Once you move beyond Core, there are multiple +2 Int options including the almighty whisper gnome.  The point is that Pathfinder Wizards won't have a higher primary stat than their 3.5 counterparts.

They may however have a higher Secondary stat, since the stats net a bonus now.  However, a higher secondary stat doesn't particularly favor Wizards opposed to other classes.  Show me how the Wizard gains more from a net+2 to stats (not Int) than another class.

And yet, even on the boards, not every wiz build is a Grey elf? Why? Because losing a feat, some skill points and 2 con is a big hit. Also, of course, Grey elf is hidden in the Monster Manual and Human is probably the most common race in 3.5. Of the players handbook races, those with +2 Int went from 0 of 7, to 4 of 7.

Now, tell me this.  My 3.5 Wizard casts Glitterdust, and all within make a save or are blinded for 1 round/level.  In Pathfinder this spell has been nerfed so they get an extra save every round to dismiss the effect.  There are no other 2nd level spells as good as the original Glitterdust in Pathfinder.  Does this not mean a loss in power?  If not, how so?  Aren't spells the most important part of a Wizards power?

It's not just Glitterdust either.  How about Grease, Protection from X, Ray of enfeeblement, Web, Alter Self and more.

How many HP does a Wizard need before weaker spells isn't the biggest factor of the changes anymore?
  [/quote]

Yes, Glitterdust hurts. But if they save on the second or subsequent round you have additional spells to plug the gap, because you have more spells. The second tier save-or-loses are better, because you are casting them with a higher DC.

Level 5-12. Wizards still make big gains. Hit points do still matter for most of this range, if only in not accidently being taken out by a trap or an AOE. Skill points still matter, because it doesn't matter how good your spells are if you get crushed in a surprise round.

Now we are talking about Magic Circle, Dispel Magic, Evard's, Solid Fog (weeps), Polymorph (of course) and more.  The staples of the 3.5 core wizard.

Man-In-Black addressed this. To his response, I will add that some of those spells are in effect strengthened by the PF change. A Polymorph spell that results in an immediate ban is useless. Optimization is the strongest choice that you can get your DM to agree to. 3.5 Polymorph may as well have been cut out of the book with scissors (actually I had one DM that did that).

Now a wizard can easily have his level ranks in spot and listen.
So what?  So can every class in Pathfinder, even the fighter.  Everyone gets more skills now, not just Wizards.

Yes, but wizards have more skill points than anyone except Bard and Rogue, and unlike Bard and Rogue they lacked the best skills on their skill lists. A fighter gets 2 skill points. A Wizard gets 7 and only has a few "Must have" skills on his list. My 3.5 wizards all had Tumble anyway. If you assume one cross class skill in 3.5, it is like getting Spot, Listen, Search, Jump, and whatever the other skill in Acrobatics is for free.

Feats are a big improvement.
Feats are about the same for Wizards, you get more, just like everyone else does, but about the same power wise.  No candy for wizards like the Melee characters got with the critical line, or archers got with the Deadly aim solving of the damage problem.

You have 1 free item crafting feat from your bonded item, more feats in general, and the wizards feats weren't gimped like the melee ones.

Melee feats were badly gimped in Beta - in the official they went the other way.  I can't think of a single 3.5 core feat that compares with any of the critical feats for example.

Some melee feats were definitely changed, but saying they are worse is debatable. 

Certainly, many key melee feats were split or gimped into the ground. Wizards still get a free crafting feat.

By this level, you have a nice large spellbook, so the ability to cherry pick one needed spell per day matters.

Whoops I missed arcane bond!  The Wizards achilles heel!

I hope my achilles heel gives me free crafting feats and the ability to pull spells out of my backside. Thats the kind of flaw I can live with.

How does this support the gap getting bigger?  "Level 13+ Wizard loses and it doesn't matter at all."?
He can pull spells that he didn't know to prepare (Bonded item).
  If he gives up his familiar, and you haven't established it as the better option.

But the fact that those spells do different things makes having more spells, like the PF wizard has, better. It makes having the ability to pull out the exact spell that you need much better.

Any claim that wizards are more powerful for me would be convincing if companied with an increase in the power of casting spells.  A decrease in the power of casting spells coupled with more HP just isn't convincing.

Treantmonklvl20

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #75 on: November 23, 2009, 11:34:16 PM »
And yet, even on the boards, not every wiz build is a Grey elf? Why?

Likely because most builds on the board wisely take the Whisper gnome.  For core games, Grey elf is a very popular race choice for Wizards.  Either way, Int +2 is a popular choice.  You go over the reasons repeatedly in the rest of your post.  Suffice it to say, it's because Int is the primary stat of Wizards.

I agree with you that the Con penalty hurts.  However, it's still a very popular choice for core only.  If not restricted to core, you've got better options.

That said, I do see human Wizards too.  I see humans taken for every class in the game, and for every class in the game, choosing the Human now compared to a Human in 3.5 means a +2 to the primary stat, no matter which stat is was, so not really a unique advantage to Wizards, or even casters in general.  It is an advantage for any character taking Human as their race in Pathfinder instead of in 3.5.

Yes, Glitterdust hurts. But if they save on the second or subsequent round you have additional spells to plug the gap, because you have more spells. The second tier save-or-loses are better, because you are casting them with a higher DC.

One more spell, if you give up your familiar considering what you could give up your familiar for in 3.5, I'm suprised to see you drooling over one spell so much.  As for the DC - I spoke to that already.

Man-In-Black addressed this. To his response, I will add that some of those spells are in effect strengthened by the PF change. A Polymorph spell that results in an immediate ban is useless. Optimization is the strongest choice that you can get your DM to agree to. 3.5 Polymorph may as well have been cut out of the book with scissors (actually I had one DM that did that).

So polymorph is better because DM's are less likely to ban it?  OK, I'll give you that one.  Definitely an angle I didn't consider.

Yes, but wizards have more skill points than anyone except Bard and Rogue, and unlike Bard and Rogue they lacked the best skills on their skill lists. A fighter gets 2 skill points. A Wizard gets 7 and only has a few "Must have" skills on his list. My 3.5 wizards all had Tumble anyway. If you assume one cross class skill in 3.5, it is like getting Spot, Listen, Search, Jump, and whatever the other skill in Acrobatics is for free.

Most fighters will have 3 or 4 skill points (based on a 13 Int for feat prereqs), but they can have 4 or 5 if they want to (at the cost of 1 hp/level)  That said, I won't argue that Wizards get more Skill Points than fighters.  Not sure the gap has increased though, as I think Fighters are a lot more likely to take the favored class bonus to skills than the Wizard is.

many key melee feats were split or gimped into the ground. Wizards still get a free crafting feat.

If by "free crafting feat" you mean "Scribe scroll" - they had that already

If by "free crafting feat" you mean "they can enchant their bonded item" - then we need to discuss the definition of "Free" and of "Crafting feat" since it is neither.  Speaking of things being "self-evident"...

I hope my achilles heel gives me free crafting feats...

You did mean the bonded item!...wow.  So how do you define "free" and "Crafting feat"?  You seem to use a different definition than I do.

For me, "Free" means "No cost", not "Give up a familiar and add a vulnerability"

A "Crafting feat" means the ability to craft magic itemS, not one magic item.

1. Because very few games play at that level. It is nearly irrelevant.

I'm willing to remove discussion of level 13+ play from the discussion if you will.  Understand that Wizards being super-powerful at this level, just like they were in 3.5, doesn't mean the "Gap" got bigger, or in any way support that argument.

2. Because in the games that DO play at that level,...

We're back to "because DM's will allow it in Pathfinder but not in 3.5..." arguments again?  I gave you one pass on that already.

Don't need to.  You're the one who made a positive claim.  I only expressed doubt regarding that positive claim.  Since a single spellcasting and a familiar provide vastly different benifits, the claim is unfalsafiable.  Why not ask me to prove that God doesn't exist while you're at it?

It's called Burden of Proof - and it always falls on the one who made the positive claim, not the one who doubts the claim.  I can't prove their aren't marshmallow men on Jupiter either, but if you make the claim their are, I'm not the one who has work to do.

I do regard a free anyspell and item creation feat as self-evidently better than a core familiar.

Can't prove it so it's self-evident?  Ever read the guides of Dictum Mortuum?  That guy could give you 101 reasons why a familiar was better than even Abrupt Jaunt - nevermind a spell casting.  He wrote a whole handbook on the subject.  That's beyond the self-evident fact that Bonded Item does not give you a free "item creation feat"

But the fact that those spells do different things makes having more spells, like the PF wizard has, better.

Are we still discussing the one spell provided by Bonded Item if you give up your familiar?  Or are we discussing how Wizards benifit more from a +2 Int than Other classes benifit from +2 to their primary stat?  Or is there some other reason you are suggesting Pathfinder Wizards get more spells?

Let's look at where I mention "rumor" again then:

Which part made it vague that the rumor I was discussing was regarding the "gap" between Wizards and the other classes?

But now that you have clarified, I will also clarify.

Fair enough.  No apology for calling me "dishonest" I guess?

Dismissing the people who regard PF as strengthening wizards as being a rumor is, in my opinion, dishonest.

What?  You know what a "rumor" is right?  "A story or statement in general circulation without confirmation or certainty as to facts"

Saying that "the gap between wizards and other classes is bigger" is a rumor says nothing about those who are making the statement.  It doesn't even say that they are wrong, it does however say that they are yet to be proven right.  How can you make that out to be an insult?

wait...did you just label me dishonest...again?  For the same thing?

Do you know what "dishonesty" means?

Irony in action...

We are comparing a decrease in the power of casting a small portion of spells, weighed against:
more HP,
an extra crafting feat,
more and better skill points,
higher save DCs,
a better availability of spells (no prohibited schools, + ability to cast from spellbook),
more spells per day,
+ a few mostly insignificant class abilities.

No we aren't.  Read slowly and carefully - I'll say it again.

There is a rumor that the gap between Wizards and the other classes got bigger in Pathfinder.

I believe the rumor to be false.

If you wish to provide evidence that the rumor is true, then you need to provide evidence for one of the following:

1) Wizards got more powerful and the other classes didn't
2) The other classes got less powerful and the Wizard didn't
3) Wizards gained more or lost less than the other classes

Is that still vague?

Let me make some clarifications:

1) The rumor is that the gap between wizards and the other classes got bigger in Pathfinder.  That does not make "YOU" the rumor.  Suggesting "YOU" are a rumor, or alternatively, that I'm claiming "YOU" are a rumor makes it hard to take you seriously.
2) Not all rumors are false, but they are all unconfirmed.  If you don't want it to be a rumor anymore, give some evidence towards one of the 3 points above, don't throw personal insults.
3) Find out what "free" means before you respond.  Also find out what a "Crafting feat" is.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 11:56:34 PM by Treantmonklvl20 »

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: November 23, 2009, 11:46:53 PM »
My take on the Pathfinder wizard: a few spells got nerfed but the wizard lost most of its weaknesses like low hps and low number of spells/day at low levels. The wizard is still a Tier 1 class and a decently played wizard is stiill the best in the game. The gap overall has not changed and that's why Pathfinder isn't worth the money.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #77 on: November 23, 2009, 11:52:04 PM »
Sweet merciful Cthulhu, it's 4E vs. 3.5 on the failmax boards all over again...
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: November 24, 2009, 01:06:43 AM »
Sweet merciful Cthulhu, it's 4E vs. 3.5 on the failmax boards all over again...

Hey, statements like "it's worse than you think" only throw wood on the fire, you know :P

Viletta Vadim

• Curious George
  • Metal Genocider, maximum shooto!
« Reply #79 on: November 24, 2009, 01:09:13 AM »
*Sigh.*

Whether the gap got bigger or smaller or how much it grew/shrank or if it changed is a really pedantic argument.

My take on the gap matter: The gap is still there.  The gap is still big.  Which version has the bigger gap?  I really don't care.