Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question: Singing Tesla Coil Edition  (Read 115871 times)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question: Singing Tesla Coil Edition
« Reply #200 on: July 11, 2010, 02:24:47 AM »
Q 57 Dragon Magazine brought about an ability for the Ranger's Favored Enemy that's now part of the Pathfinder Ranger's Favored Enemy. That is your bonus to damage is also added to your attack. So if you have favored enemy (orcs) +4, the +4 goes to skills, damage, and attack. This was something you got at lvl 1. The trade off is you wouldn't get an animal companion at lvl 4.

My question is this. How do you (legally) add this ability to the Mystic Ranger who doesn't get an animal companion?

EDIT: Got more questions.

Q 58 Improved Favored Enemy from Complete Warrior is FAR superior to the Epic level version. So does that mean that the SRD one is actually incorrect now? Can you take the CW version multiple times?

Q 59 Does the Improved Favored Enemy from CW stack to ALL of your enemies, or just one FE at a time? I thought I saw an errata somewhere that said it could be taken multiple times for individual enemies.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 03:17:33 AM by kevin_video »
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #201 on: July 11, 2010, 03:26:02 AM »
Regarding the divine companion alternate class feature for sorcerer in Complete Champion:

Q60:Q61: It says you cast targeted spells to fill the reservoir and that the reservoir stores arcane energy, implying you must cast arcane spells to fill the reservoir.  Am I correct in thinking that a targeted arcane spell from any class suffices? 

Q62: Would an ultimate magus using sorcerer with divine companion be a good idea? 

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #202 on: July 11, 2010, 03:46:57 AM »
Temporary bonus HD would work great. What level do they gain Inspire Greatness?
Bard 9, it's in the PHB.  Requiem feat to affect undead with mind-affecting bardic music is in Libris Mortis.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

AngellusMortus

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #203 on: July 11, 2010, 04:53:05 AM »
Regarding the divine companion alternate class feature for sorcerer in Complete Champion:

Q60:Q61: It says you cast targeted spells to fill the reservoir and that the reservoir stores arcane energy, implying you must cast arcane spells to fill the reservoir.  Am I correct in thinking that a targeted arcane spell from any class suffices? 

Q62: Would an ultimate magus using sorcerer with divine companion be a good idea? 

A60: I would agree with you, it doesn't have to be your sorcerer caster level. By RAW, any arcane caster level works.
A61: Again, RAW I think that is correct. Target arcane spells from any class suffice, so long as you cast them (it is explicit about that).
A62: Absolutely. Ultimate Magus's are known for two things: having gratuitous spells that you can burn for other shenanigans, and for having ridiculous CL. The Divine Companion takes advantage of both. Check out some of the ways to manipulate the UM for ultimate power, and have fun.  ;)

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #204 on: July 11, 2010, 05:25:29 AM »
Q51: Is there a (relatively easy) way to give a Behir a burrow speed and tremorsense?

EDIT:
Q52: Does Spring Attack work with a burrow speed, or is there an equivalent feat for burrowers?

Thanks,
~Bowen
Tremorsense from a graft in Fiend Folio.

Burrow speed from mineral warrior?  

Any way to get a Burrow Speed that doesn't kill your flight speed?
I forgot to mention it's for a Half-Fiend Behir :P
Bump~

Also: Q63: Are there any acquired (so not inherited) templates that grant a fly speed that can be added to a Mineral Warrior Behir?

Thanks,
~Bowen
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 05:28:02 AM by BowenSilverclaw »
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #205 on: July 11, 2010, 05:50:29 AM »
Q51: Is there a (relatively easy) way to give a Behir a burrow speed and tremorsense?

EDIT:
Q52: Does Spring Attack work with a burrow speed, or is there an equivalent feat for burrowers?

Thanks,
~Bowen

Bump~

Also: Q63: Are there any acquired (so not inherited) templates that grant a fly speed that can be added to a Mineral Warrior Behir?

Thanks,
~Bowen
Half-fiend?
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #206 on: July 11, 2010, 06:00:02 AM »

EDIT:

Thanks,
~Bowen

Bump~

Thanks,
~Bowen
Half-fiend?
That's inherited...
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #207 on: July 11, 2010, 06:13:21 AM »
As an acquired template...

Dragonborn, with a couple of HD, would give you flight.

I can't think of any others right now, but why not a magic item?
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #208 on: July 11, 2010, 06:32:35 AM »
Q 57 Dragon Magazine brought about an ability for the Ranger's Favored Enemy that's now part of the Pathfinder Ranger's Favored Enemy. That is your bonus to damage is also added to your attack. So if you have favored enemy (orcs) +4, the +4 goes to skills, damage, and attack. This was something you got at lvl 1. The trade off is you wouldn't get an animal companion at lvl 4.

My question is this. How do you (legally) add this ability to the Mystic Ranger who doesn't get an animal companion?

EDIT: Got more questions.

Q 58 Improved Favored Enemy from Complete Warrior is FAR superior to the Epic level version. So does that mean that the SRD one is actually incorrect now? Can you take the CW version multiple times?

Q 59 Does the Improved Favored Enemy from CW stack to ALL of your enemies, or just one FE at a time? I thought I saw an errata somewhere that said it could be taken multiple times for individual enemies.

A 57: Not RAW, but Wild Cohort (feat) gives you a better Animal Companion than you'd get as a Ranger. I think most DMs would allow the trade-off.

A 58: ELH was 3.0. FE was +1 back then. It's just inferior to the CW version. The CW version can only be taken once. Pretty obvious.

A 59: CW Improved FE is for ALL enemies, and I have found no errata saying otherwise. (Unless that one written by "Evil Canadian DM who just turned dad and gets a boner from giving kevin_video unwanted LA's.")

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #209 on: July 11, 2010, 06:51:41 AM »

A 57

You don't.

A 58

Wouldn't be the first time that anything epic except spellcasting sucks. No, the SRD epic ranger progressions still applies. No, you can only take Imp Favored Enemy once. Note that Imp Favored Enemy only adds to your damage bonus, not to any other bonuses, so technically it's not strictly better.

A 59

Yes, it applies to all your enemies at once. There was no errata to the feat.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #210 on: July 11, 2010, 09:41:35 AM »

A 58: ELH was 3.0. FE was +1 back then. It's just inferior to the CW version. The CW version can only be taken once. Pretty obvious.

A 59: CW Improved FE is for ALL enemies, and I have found no errata saying otherwise. (Unless that one written by "Evil Canadian DM who just turned dad and gets a boner from giving kevin_video unwanted LA's.")
ELH FE and regular 3.0 was that way, yes, but not talking about the 3.0 version. Check out SRD. It's +1 across the board, but you can take it multiple times. I wonder why they have two of the same named feats? Maybe they should have named the second better. I'll just have to call it Epic Improved FE, or just Epic FE.

No, it's actually something another player thought they read. That you could take the feat multiple times and add it to each additional FE. Not sure where he saw that, but that version of it added the +3 to the skills as well.

A 57

You don't.
I liked the one with Wild Cohort. I think I'll allow it as a straight up exchange for that. As in "You would have taken Wild Cohort and traded it off for that, but we'll just skip it, and never allow you to take that feat, and carry on."

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #211 on: July 11, 2010, 10:06:33 AM »

EDIT:

Thanks,
~Bowen

Bump~

Thanks,
~Bowen
Half-fiend?
That's inherited...
Not if you use the template class.
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20031010a
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #212 on: July 11, 2010, 10:08:10 AM »

EDIT:

Thanks,
~Bowen

Bump~

Thanks,
~Bowen
Half-fiend?
That's inherited...
winged template, SS?
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #213 on: July 11, 2010, 10:11:43 AM »

EDIT:

Thanks,
~Bowen

Bump~

Thanks,
~Bowen
Half-fiend?
That's inherited...
winged template, SS?
Kind of sucks, unfortunately.

I agree that Dragonborn is probably your best option, aside from template class+buyoff cheese.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #214 on: July 11, 2010, 10:17:44 AM »
I never said it was good :P
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #215 on: July 11, 2010, 10:45:40 AM »

ELH FE and regular 3.0 was that way, yes, but not talking about the 3.0 version. Check out SRD. It's +1 across the board, but you can take it multiple times. I wonder why they have two of the same named feats? Maybe they should have named the second better. I'll just have to call it Epic Improved FE, or just Epic FE.

No, it's actually something another player thought they read. That you could take the feat multiple times and add it to each additional FE. Not sure where he saw that, but that version of it added the +3 to the skills as well.

A 57

You don't.
I liked the one with Wild Cohort. I think I'll allow it as a straight up exchange for that. As in "You would have taken Wild Cohort and traded it off for that, but we'll just skip it, and never allow you to take that feat, and carry on."

My ELH has the exact same feat as the SRD...

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #216 on: July 11, 2010, 10:47:08 AM »
My ELH has the exact same feat as the SRD...
Yeah, it didn't change when it was made into 3.5. Still the same +1 to everything.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #217 on: July 11, 2010, 11:08:16 AM »

EDIT:

Thanks,
~Bowen

Bump~

Thanks,
~Bowen
Half-fiend?
That's inherited...
winged template, SS?

I agree that Dragonborn is probably your best option, aside from template class+buyoff cheese.
Well, it's for an evil NPC anyway (which is why I'd like to stay away from Dragonborn), so LA isn't really a problem.

Thanks, guys :)

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #218 on: July 11, 2010, 11:10:36 AM »

EDIT:

Thanks,
~Bowen

Bump~

Thanks,
~Bowen
Half-fiend?
That's inherited...
winged template, SS?

Well, it's for an evil NPC anyway (which is why I'd like to stay away from Dragonborn), so LA isn't really a problem.

Thanks, guys :)
Refluff it to be Dragontainted of Tiamat or something.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #219 on: July 11, 2010, 02:10:31 PM »

Thanks,
~Bowen
Alu-Demon from Dragon 355.  It's like Half-fiend, but aquired.  Also gives a few more abilities.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.