Author Topic: Prologue: The Eye Has It  (Read 12525 times)

psypher

• Noob
  • My Galactic Dominion is at hand
    • Email
Re: Prologue: The Eye Has It
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2009, 10:08:06 PM »
loud mumbling comes from another cage as a figure stirs.

"What in the name of all Nine Hells is going on!? I will lay down such vengence as this world has not seen in an age or more. Oh. And who are you people?"

[spoiler]rollin teh strength check: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2110455/
...are you serious. 4. Apparently I attempt to open the cage with my face.[/spoiler]

Lasers are among the most dangerous creatures in the universe.

Cindel

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2009, 12:34:51 AM »
Talon stops for a second and considers Iolair's words. He glances pensively over at Vil, who seems to be engrossed in opening another hidden cellar in the ground. He looks back at Iolair, sighs, and reaches into his pocket as he begins to walks towards the cages. "Vil will have my head for this, but it's completely unkind to leave you here, unable to fend for yourselves."

As he walks towards Iolair, a small beam emits out from the bushes and strikes Talon in the back. He stops, his eyes widen, and he lets out a mutter that quickly dissipates as his lungs disintegrate. As one final motion, he pulls his hand out of his pocket and tosses a small rectangular metal block at Iolair, measuring roughly an inch in thickness and three inches long.

@Iolair:
[spoiler]When you catch the object, you notice right away that it appears to have considerable weight. But there are no markings on it of any kind.[/spoiler]

As everybody watches the ray vaporize Talon, several other rays shoot out from the bushes striking random spots in the grove as if whoever is releasing them is shooting wildly. Then you see it. With a guttural roar, a huge eight foot orb crashes through the bushes, black in color, it's single large eye looking around angrily. Several small stalks stick out from it's top, also containing smaller eyes, writhing crazily about. It stops for a second, taking in each of you as it's eye moves from cage to cage. Then it speaks in a language none of you understand, sending globs of spit and saliva flying in every direction.

It suddenly stops again, this time eyeing something beyond the cages. It's eye widens as it lets out a slow growl. Then it leaps into action, flying soundlessly past the cages, screaming in it's native tongue. It slams into the bushes on the other side of the grove and disappears.

Vil, realizing that the situation is indeed out of control, drops the gear he is holding and takes off running into the bushes opposite where the creature emerged.
My friends went to GenCon and all they brought back for me was this lousy signature...

Currently running: Sometimes You Can't Go Home

Madgeon

• Monkey bussiness
  • Let me sing you a song. Any requests?
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2009, 12:49:26 AM »
Madgeon snaps his head back,Whoah! Wow! I... totally blacked out there for a sec. Kinda daydreaming there about being a negotiator of some kind. . . Anyways! WHAT THE FRIGID TUNDRA WAS THAT THING!?  Ok, maybe, we should save introductions for later and get outa (wow! Deja Vu!) before that things comes back! Looks at Iolair, Is that a key or...? Will it help us?

[spoiler]Escape Artist:1d20+2=22And. . . I'm outa the cage, just enough so I can see and reach the other locks. (Yes?)[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Hide:1d20+2=20In case that thing comes back. (Yes?)[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 01:26:13 AM by Madgeon »

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2009, 01:13:07 AM »
"Heh. It would seem they didn't expect this kind of situation, huh?" Hallate grins.

"All right. it's do or die!"

Strength check to force the bars: 1d20+3=11

OOC:
[spoiler]...Invisible Castle is against us?  :twitch[/spoiler]

Simadog

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2009, 01:48:15 AM »
sends a quick prayer to the gods as Iolair addresses the bandit when he starts to help wispers: "thank you friend"

but as the beam hits him David's jaw drops and eyes bulge :bigeye as that black abomination comes barreling out of the bushes!!!

as the last bits of Talon fall to the ground in fear: OH I HOPE WE ARE NOT NEXT! breath a sigh of relief as it leaves

watching: Madgeon to see what happens

[spoiler]do I still feel the anti-magic field aura [/spoiler]

Chovox

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Veritas Vos Liberabit
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2009, 01:22:30 PM »
loud mumbling comes from another cage as a figure stirs.

"What in the name of all Nine Hells is going on!? I will lay down such vengence as this world has not seen in an age or more. Oh. And who are you people?"

"Lukas? Is that you? Ah, it appears we are in yet another scrape..." Iolair's voice trails off as he studies the metal object in his hands, turning it over and over. He tries to find some sort of receptacle for it on the front of his cage.
[spoiler]If that fails, he will try to see if the object itself opens.[/spoiler]

Cindel

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2009, 02:33:30 PM »
The cages appear to have no locking mechanism on them at all. Simply a round indentation about three inches in diameter sits where the key should be.

Despite the frantic nature of the situation, you also notice that the anti-magic field surrounding you has dissipated.

You hear the guttural roars again as whatever appeared and then disappeared attacks something in the woods beyond the groves in an extremely violent manner.

@Iolair:
[spoiler]It does not appear as though the metal object you are manipulating opens in any way.[/spoiler]

@Madgeon
[spoiler]Using escape artist, you manage to move yourself to a point where you can see the indentation on your own cage. But nothing more. You are still trapped.[/spoiler]
My friends went to GenCon and all they brought back for me was this lousy signature...

Sambo

• Monkey bussiness
  • I'm gonna make a supersonic man outta you!!
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2009, 03:31:56 PM »

Despite the frantic nature of the situation, you also notice that the anti-magic field surrounding you has dissipated.

A hopeful expression appears on Garret's features as he exclaims @Iolair: "Ah ha!! It appears that the aura surrounding us has failed....for now....."  scratching his head as he thinks for a moment, Garret contemplates the situation to himself..."I don't like the way those thugs eyed me before they departed...and the arrival of that creature...there is most certainly more to this then meets the eye." [spoiler]Knowledge dungeoneering check to confirm creature is a beholder (invocations work again woot!)1d20+12=28 do sumthin bout it!  [/spoiler]

@iolair and anyone else in earshot:"Oh yes, introductions...how rude of me to forget! The name is Garret Thorngage...scholar extrodanaire." "Perhaps now would be a good time to make an exit...better we face that thing on our own two feet and not pinned in like animals!"
"Let's see how this cage deals with the breath of the dragons!" Garret brings his face close to the indentation in the cage and draws in a deep breath....and begins to spew gouts of searing flame at the cage door....
[spoiler] Breath Weapon(fire)2d6=7 I can do this at will so if it is effective I keep going till door melts or breaks[/spoiler]

we need a million cc's of squeem o' goblin, stat!!

Cindel

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2009, 03:35:54 PM »
@Garret:
[spoiler]It appears that the only effect you are having is making the metal frame that touches your breath orange in color. Also, yes, the creature you saw come out of the bushes was indeed a beholder. (Told you... :P)[/spoiler]

Chovox

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Veritas Vos Liberabit
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2009, 03:49:28 PM »
"Oh yes, introductions...how rude of me to forget! The name is Garret Thorngage...scholar extrodanaire."

@Garret
"A scholar eh? Well then, what do you make of this? I think it is the key to our freedom...somehow." Iolair tosses the metal thingy to Garret so he can examine it more closely.

Sambo

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2009, 04:34:10 PM »
(catches the device) @Iolair: "Hmmm....a curious device indeed! No markings...no apparent functions....Let me see what i can do!!"[spoiler]first i try knowledge arcana:1d20 8=18 whether or not that works, i try use magic device:1d20 8=26 lols let's hope i don't blow us up[/spoiler]

Simadog

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2009, 10:58:29 PM »
looks at the cage while Iolair tosses the metal thingy to Garret as it nears the cage it lines up with the round indentation about three inches in diameter sits where the key should be on the front of the cage @Garret: "see if that thing fits in that round indentation where the key should be"

Sambo

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2009, 12:30:07 AM »
@David:"Ahh yes....the religious fellow! I'm working as best as i can on this device, but time is of the essence so i must hurry. Have patience follower of....Amaunator was it??"
a serious expression comes over Garret's face as he thinks to himself:Hmmmmm....there's something about that name...can't quite put my finger on it....
[spoiler]Knowledge Religion check to identify David's god, religion and the specifics of their beliefs=  1d20 12=29[/spoiler]
ooc@cindel
[spoiler]the use magic device check from my last post was to try and use the block thing on the door indentation just so ya know[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 12:32:30 AM by Sambo »

Madgeon

• Monkey bussiness
  • Let me sing you a song. Any requests?
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2009, 12:48:31 AM »
The cages appear to have no locking mechanism on them at all. Simply a round indentation about three inches in diameter sits where the key should be. Despite the frantic nature of the situation, you also notice that the anti-magic field surrounding you has dissipated. You hear the guttural roars again as whatever appeared and then disappeared attacks something in the woods beyond the groves in an extremely violent manner.

@Madgeon
[spoiler]Using escape artist, you manage to move yourself to a point where you can see the indentation on your own cage. But nothing more. You are still trapped.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Seriously! Great Oden's Beard! Maybe, it would work if I reincarnate and take a Chaotic/Awesome allignment?  :smirk[/spoiler]

Madgeon lays with his back arched up from the cage floor. Cocking his neck back he is staring up at the top edge of his cage.
In a strained voice he says, Hey, I can see the circular latch too. . .  You know, there was this witch who trapped me in her house once. She turned me into a newt.

Risada

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2009, 08:17:22 AM »
Hallate seems impatient.

"Have anyone figured out how this... thing you got works, Iolair? I don't have plans to wait until that ugly fellow returns... maybe our scholar friend knows something?"

Cindel

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2009, 03:04:45 PM »
@Garret:
[spoiler]Your religion check indeed tells you that David is worshiping a dead god! He is a heretic in the church of Lathander. Ever since the inception of Lathander's faith, there has been a movement called the Brotherhood of the Glorious Sun, which believe Lathander to be the reincarnation of Amaunator.

Also, your use magic device allows you to notice that the block seems to stick to the metal of your cage, as if it's magnetic. When you manipulate it near the indentation, you notice a faint rattling sound inside the lock housing.[/spoiler]

@Madgeon:
[spoiler]As you strain to examine the indentation more closely, you do notice that there seems to a part of the circle that is smooth and shiny. It's as if someone has repeatedly rubbed something metal against it in a particular pattern.[/spoiler]

@Everybody:
[spoiler]Throw for me a spot check, if you please...[/spoiler]

Risada

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2009, 03:54:13 PM »
Argh, let's see how I roll this time...

1d20-1=0

I am blind...  :banghead

Sambo

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2009, 04:02:28 PM »
[spoiler]spot check=1d20 3=18[/spoiler]

@David:with an dismayed look upon his features Garret says to david-"Ahh yes....now i know where I've heard that name before....your god is dead! I assume you know the consequences of your decisions?? Perhaps we shall talk about this later....But for now let's concentrate on extracting ourselves from these cages! I belive I've made a little headway in my study of this device..."

@party:"When i use the device near the lock area, a faint clicking noise is made....haven't got much farther than that...perhaps closer examination is required...."

@cindel[spoiler]i make a spot check to see if i notice anything about the lock 1d20 3=8 crap oh well [/spoiler]

Chovox

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Veritas Vos Liberabit
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2009, 04:23:02 PM »
Spot check: 1d20+7=15

Cindel

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2009, 08:33:06 PM »
@Garret:
[spoiler]Upon closer examination of your cage, you notice that the metal seems to have warped slightly, and there is a sharp odor of ozone. You recall the process of what happens when moving parts within a metal mechanism are super heated and then cooled.[/spoiler]

Everybody notices that the sounds of violent struggle seem to be quieter. Perhaps the thing that charged through here is finished killing what it went after and is now looking for new prey.