Author Topic: Super Not-Dying Skills (1st level party)  (Read 1691 times)

dither

• Hong Kong
  • Breaking the ninth wall
Super Not-Dying Skills (1st level party)
« on: June 09, 2009, 12:46:02 PM »
Scenario: Your best friend is a noob DM, and it's his first time running a 3.5 Dungeons & Dragons game. While he has a fantastic imagination, he doesn't understand the game rules very well, and he's thrown your fairly average 1st-level, 4-man party up against an Overwhelming encounter (CR 5+). The other three characters are down for the count, bleeding and unconscious, but not dead. Your friend, the DM, is looking to you desperately (since you are the group's resident rules expert) to somehow neutralize the threat and save the party with only one round's worth of actions. You know that if you don't pull something out of ass, your friend's going to feel really, really bad. It's all in the name of fun, right?

The Game: Here's what you do: your character (and the other three downed characters) are all average, 1st-level characters. Assume the DM has banned any theoretical builds; just because he's an incompetent DM doesn't mean he's a moron. :smirk You have access to all core materials, and he's fairly lenient with character creation because he's more interested in your character's personality than their class features, and he doesn't really mind what you have. He doesn't feel very good about custom content from the internet, but he's okay with WotC web enhancements. It's a "police yourselves" kind of deal.

Through the use of "creative interpretation of the rules text" you have to use 1st-level class features, feats, spells, or skills use, you have to find a way to neutralize the threat and/or save the party. You can assume that luck is on your side, and you achieve not one, but up to three successful dice rolls, and a natural 20 (which may be translated to three failed rolls on the part of the monster, and a natural 1, or any combination thereof). Once you've saved the party, try to choose a monster (or monsters) that would be immune to your tactic (somehow) for the next poster to contend with.

You can decide what race/class your party is, what their abilities are, and what equipment they have. Assume that you only have one round's worth of actions, since the encounter's initiative is next and it will kill you without fail. Whatever you come up with should be AWESOME.The DM is willing to overlook a bit of rules text here or there so the party can survive, but mostly only if what you do is AWESOME.

The Example: We have a party of 1st-level kobolds, and I'm a sorcerer who's used up all his 1st-level spells, and we're up against a 5th-level gnome ranger nicknamed "the Kobold Slayer." I have ranks in Tumble and Use Magic Device, so I Tumble passed the gnome (move action; 1 success) and use ray of frost on the pool of water at his feet to freeze it (standard action; 1 success). The gnome fails his Balance check (1 success), slips on the ice, falls and hits his head (natural 1), knocking himself out. It takes a couple of tries, but I manage to Use Magic Device to get the cleric's "used" wand of cure light wounds working, and he stabilizes and heals the party.

The day is saved! However, the next party has to face a gibbering mouther, which the DM has ruled is immune to slipping and falling, due to being an amorphous blob!
"Stuck between a rogue and a bard place."

vanity
Read my webcomic!
Dither's Amazing Changing Avatars

[spoiler]
Quote from: Shadowhunter
Quote from: Flay Crimsonwind
"Vegeta! What does the scouter say about Dither's power level?"
It's over nine thousand!

Quote from: Bauglir
Quote from: Anklebite
Quote from: dither
Well blow me down! :P
A SECTION OF THE CAVERN HAS COLLAPSED!
dither, Miner, has died after colliding with an obstacle!
[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Re: Super Not-Dying Skills (1st level party)
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 02:04:16 PM »
The day is saved! However, the next party has to face a gibbering mouther, which the DM has ruled is immune to slipping and falling, due to being an amorphous blob!
According to the monster entry it "thirsts after bodily fluids", so offer it a chamberpot.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

something random

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 06:45:15 AM »
Prime32 you did not give a new problem for the next party.
Am I the only one who's mind was broken when they realized the implication of the existence of the aberration bloodline.

something random

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 09:46:26 AM »
The next party sees a Iron Golem which being a mindless construct is can not be swayed by offers of food.
Am I the only one who's mind was broken when they realized the implication of the existence of the aberration bloodline.