Author Topic: Adept vs monk: the final nail in the coffin  (Read 218369 times)

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
Re: Adept vs monk: the final nail in the coffin
« Reply #360 on: July 03, 2011, 09:07:19 PM »
Sir Giacomo: You might want to edit out the "talk even to plants" bit.  I almost thought you were serious and just hilariously misguided until I read that.  It gives you away to new readers, man.

But I start to see...people run out of arguments, so the usual lulz set in. Ah, well...will go to bed again.

- Giacomo

Every one of your posts has a sentence like this in it.

No one is running out of arguments, you fail to disprove or convince anyone of pretty much anything.  People just tire of repeating themselves.
Well, one person isn't tired!
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #361 on: July 03, 2011, 09:56:15 PM »
Well, .... Speaking to plants may not appear to be that powerful. It is the tongues/speak with animals/speak with plants combined with diplomacy that is quite useful I think. Certainly equivalent to a 5th level spell if you ask me.
Monk: "Can you grow a little to the south? I just want you closer to the other tree to build my club house." *diplomacy check*
Tree: "Sure." *check passes*
30 years later...
Tree: "Done."
Tree: "Monk?"
Tree: "Hello?"
Druid: "I think he died, fourteen years ago, a dragon got him, I bet he was stringy and tasted like an old shoe. But I don't know for sure, the Bards never sing about the sidekicks."
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #362 on: July 04, 2011, 01:14:35 AM »
Just when I thought this thread was winding down...

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #363 on: July 04, 2011, 01:54:37 AM »
Well, .... Speaking to plants may not appear to be that powerful. It is the tongues/speak with animals/speak with plants combined with diplomacy that is quite useful I think. Certainly equivalent to a 5th level spell if you ask me.
Monk: "Can you grow a little to the south? I just want you closer to the other tree to build my club house." *diplomacy check*
30 years later...
Druid: "I think he died, fourteen years ago, a dragon got him, I bet he was stringy and tasted like an old shoe. But I don't know for sure, the Bards never sing about the sidekicks."

+1
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #364 on: July 04, 2011, 05:16:30 AM »
Do plants have an Int score? I thought they usually had the brains of a zombie.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #365 on: July 04, 2011, 01:24:08 PM »
Someone else's?

Oh god, yet another campaign idea...
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #366 on: July 04, 2011, 01:45:19 PM »
Someone else's?

This thread seems to be good at generating those.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

Infected

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #367 on: July 04, 2011, 01:53:42 PM »
Someone else's?

This thread seems to be good at generating those.

Where have I heard something like that before...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_of_the_Triffids

Sir Giacomo

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #368 on: July 04, 2011, 04:37:16 PM »
30 years later...

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #369 on: July 04, 2011, 04:55:37 PM »
Gia, seriously, we're mostly just ignoring you now.  Stuff like that last example prove why: you're not even making sense anymore (it says animals avoid the area, not they carry riders away in terror.  The Adept would just send in a few undead to slaughter the poor thing if he was of sufficient level to have said undead.  Though why an Adept of sufficient level to have undead would be fighting CR 6 plants I can't fathom).

Seriously, find one other person to back you up or agree with you and I might consider debating you again.  Until then, you're just a crazy guy talking to the air.

JaronK

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #370 on: July 04, 2011, 05:14:27 PM »
And even with Giacomo's horrible example the adept doesn't die, it runs away to fight another day and he still has his army of wolves. That's actually pretty funny.

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #371 on: July 04, 2011, 05:33:39 PM »
Gia, seriously, we're mostly just ignoring you now.  Stuff like that last example prove why: you're not even making sense anymore (it says animals avoid the area, not they carry riders away in terror.  The Adept would just send in a few undead to slaughter the poor thing if he was of sufficient level to have said undead.  Though why an Adept of sufficient level to have undead would be fighting CR 6 plants I can't fathom).

Seriously, find one other person to back you up or agree with you and I might consider debating you again.  Until then, you're just a crazy guy talking to the air.

JaronK

And the Handle Animal skill allows you to "Push" animals to do something they wouldn't normally do.  Like approaching such a thing perhaps?
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #372 on: July 04, 2011, 06:40:34 PM »
And the Handle Animal skill allows you to "Push" animals to do something they wouldn't normally do.  Like approaching such a thing perhaps?
*more derailing*

I "Pushed" your dog into traffic!
With my foot. Using a kicking motion.
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
[/spoiler]

Lunaramblings

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #373 on: July 04, 2011, 09:25:34 PM »
Ok. So I don't really post on here often, but figured I would give this a shot.

Warforged Adept 12

Str 10
Dex 10
Con 14
Int 14
Wis 21 (boosts and +4 item)
Cha 13

Feats:
1st: Warforged Adamantine Body
3rd: CorpseCrafter
6th: Undead Empathy
9th: Undead Leadership
12th: Tomb-Tainted Soul

Skills:
Craft: Gemcutting 12 ranks, +2 modifier, +2 Masterwork Tools= +16
Concentration 12 ranks, +2 Modifier=14
Spellcraft 12 ranks, +2 Modifier=14
Knowledge: Religion (for knowing about my undead) 12 ranks, +2 modifier, +2 Masterwork tools= +16
Diplomacy(from my Docent) 10 ranks + x ability mod= 10+x
Spot (from my Docent) 10 ranks +x ability mod + 10 (uses my senses, hence benefits from my Third Eye Aware= 20+x

Now I have a ton of Gold left over from my items, so I could buy a bunch of Skill bonus items, and they are actually ridiculously cheap, but I don't know if that is agains the spirit of this thing.

Gear:
Rod of Undead Mastery-10,000gp
Periapt of Wisdom +4-16,000
Warforged Component-Docent-12,500
Talisman of Undying Fortitude-8000
Gems to make Undead-2500(100 HD, I like round numbers)

I have plenty left over for anything I might have missed, having only spent roughly 1/2 my WBL.

I am able to control 96 HD of Undead through the Animate Dead spell. Additionally, I have Command Undead.

I used this here random generator, set for 13 encounters, CR 10-14. of those I got 6 useful encounters. Here is what I got.

1)Legendary Shark. Interesting. But unless it is an aquatic campaign, or I am building my stronghold, not real useful.
2)Kython Slaymaster. BoVD. This thing is disgusting. Thank you kindly.
3)Charnel Hound. Big scary undead. Non-intelligent. Thank you Command Undead. No save he is mine as long as I remember to renew the spell 2 1/2 times a month.
4)Monstrous Scorpion, Gargantuan. Another nice critter for animation. Thank you kindly.
5)Landwyrm, Forest. This is a very nice critter. Burrow speed.
6)Grimwierd. Right. This is the best critter I could have come across. With my Undead Empathy and a pretty nice Diplomacy, I can probably convince him to join, if not I can attempt to Command Undead, though he does get a save, being intelligent, and he will most likely make it.

Additionally, I can take that Domain, which I will choose the Necromancer Domain (Ebberon). That gives me some useful spells, like command undead.

So, looks like a fairly powerful little troupe. Oh, and I have an Undead Cohort. I could go with a Necropolitan Wizard or Cleric, but I didn't. Instead I could have an Atropal Scion(Libris Mortis). Or I could have even gone for a Necropolitan Dread Necromancer.

In addition I can heal via negative energy, I can also heal myself by taking 8 hours and making a Craft Gemcutting check, healing equal to the check -15, which I can take 10 on.

I honestly think that this character would provide a lot to any party. He can face it up when he needs to, he can bring a whole lot of hurt through the use of his minions, and he can also provide limited spellcasting services.

This obviously is not the most amazing build ever, but I think it gets the job done, and I might actually play this in the next mid-high level Campaign my group does.

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #374 on: July 04, 2011, 10:07:30 PM »
<snip>Animate Dead & Cohort(s)!</snip>
Core element of your build is essentially nothing but reduce the price of using Animate Undead. If nothing else, today I learned a single level dip into Pale Master is better than the entire Adapt class. Well, that and Wight's +4 LA is totally worth free undead in a low power game.
[/spoiler]

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #375 on: July 04, 2011, 10:11:27 PM »
Perhaps then you've learned the power of being a caster, AT ALL. In which no only are
your class featured (spells for those who missed it) give you oppurtunites and
options that non casters never really see. In this case specifically access to palemaster.
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #376 on: July 04, 2011, 10:12:07 PM »
Core element of your build is essentially nothing but reduce the price of using Animate Undead. If nothing else, today I learned a single level dip into Pale Master is better than the entire Adapt class. Well, that and Wight's +4 LA is totally worth free undead in a low power game.
Ummm, nothing in there reduces the cost of Animate Dead.  It's just focused on undead in general.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #377 on: July 04, 2011, 10:33:38 PM »
Ummm, nothing in there reduces the cost of Animate Dead.  It's just focused on undead in general.
I thought his Craft(gemcutting) was in there for some gem crafting for material components.
[/spoiler]

Lunaramblings

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #378 on: July 04, 2011, 10:41:05 PM »

So I take it that you didn't bother to actually read the build at all. Nothing in my build cheapens the costs. Craft Gemcutting is in there to due free healing on self, as a Warforged. Of course, if you actually bothered to read before commenting I clearly laid that out. Thanks for not taking the time or consideration to actually read a post before dismissing it.

Thematically, this could be played as a warforged that has had enough with Humanity and the like. Instead he is turning the living into "machines" to do his bidding as he would have been at one time or another. Mechanically, I can control 96 HD of Undead. Using my spells. A class feature.

As for the concern that someone presented about undead being too costly and needing replacement, while I am sure that you will go through undead from time to time, I doubt it will be constant. Also, there is a spell that can revive undead, it is in another Domain and I believe 5th level. So, if you have a particular favorite undead, you can just revive him by taking that domain instead. Or, take a level of Contemplative in the near future to pick up an additional domain, and choose that one. Though it is insanely pricey, so probably not suitable for what we are dealing with. Not to mention my Atropal Scion gets Create Undead 3/day as a SLA, as well as Desecrate, and a bunch of other goodies.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #379 on: July 04, 2011, 10:47:17 PM »
I would switch Undead leadership away, because it is just ridiculous. Any build can be amazing with it and tells little of the power of the class. Otherwise I do like the character though.

Handy Links