Author Topic: OOC discussion  (Read 104614 times)

Pan-Fried Hamster

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Re: OOC discussion
« Reply #80 on: August 02, 2008, 02:27:19 AM »
Everything in good time.  And as to wisecracks...he might end up poking you.  With his long shaft.

Yeah.  Elves, gay jokes, and reach weapons.  Never saw THAT one coming.  :eh

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: August 02, 2008, 04:10:05 AM »
I look forward to :
- Maglu'Glath trying his Master Manipulator trick on Mael
That should be interesting, although you do realize that if you annoy him he might just swat you... and possibly eat you. Consider yourself warned  :D

edit: I was just thinking that you could be a redcap... give you some similarities with Maglu'glath (albeit creepy ones)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 04:56:06 AM by Surreal »
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Snizor

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #82 on: August 02, 2008, 05:42:20 AM »
That should be interesting, although you do realize that if you annoy him he might just swat you... and possibly eat you. Consider yourself warned  :D

I'll pay 20 platinum pieces for a well-cooked halfling entree (laments the lack of a cannibal smilie :weep)

The Collected Works of Snizor:<br />Collection of Necromatic Oddities<br />Mechonomicon

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #83 on: August 02, 2008, 05:56:42 AM »
Wow, not even in the game and he's already bullrushed, swat and eaten. Just because he's not combat-ready doesn't mean he'll let you walk all over him.
Mark my words ! ...please.  :bigeye

I didn't go look too far for this character, but you inspired me to find "cool" builds that BP's rules enable:

Aboleth 8/Psion 2
Lantern Archon 3/Warlock 7 ("I like shooting rays")
Blink Dog 3/Fighter 2/Swordsage 2/Telflammar Shadowlord 3 (on its way to Shadow Pounce)
Choker 3/Cloistered Cleric 1/Crusader 1/RKV 5 (1 maneuver & 1 spell per round)
Doppelanger 4/X 1/Mindspy 5
Ghost 3/X 2/MotUH 5
Grimlock 2/Barbarian X/Frenzied Berserker Y (to give a new meaning to 'charging blindly')
Hags: a party with a coven of hags could be fun
Medusa 10 (party-friendly... for the Grimlock)
Vampire 5/Dread Necromancer 2/Master Vampire 3
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 05:04:03 AM by Omen of Peace »
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

Snizor

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #84 on: August 03, 2008, 04:55:30 AM »
I have two people getting characters ready ATM.
So who is the second new player?
The Collected Works of Snizor:<br />Collection of Necromatic Oddities<br />Mechonomicon

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: August 06, 2008, 09:49:23 AM »
First, I'm back.

Second, I have a lot of catching up to do. Which will take some time. I hope to get at least two posts in today, and to answer a few PMs. Unfortunately that all takes a bit of time, which I'm going to have to somehow shave off work&woman. Although, I'll probably have more time later this evening.

I'd also like to remind you that I introduced the public+private sheet mechanism for a reason: I don't want people metagaming around other people's characters. I already messed up for Surreal, I should have made his thread private, too, but I'm sure he can cope, for now. So unless you WANT people to know about your character you are entitled to every kind of secrecy. Some characters rely on this, at least initially.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 09:52:25 AM by Brainpiercing »

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #86 on: August 06, 2008, 10:15:32 AM »
That reminds me: an incomplete background is included in the character sheet - I sent you the link.
edit: also, the mechanics are done - pending some questions and some more shopping.

If he knew, my character would run away from Surreal's, fast. That should allow you to tell if I'm metagaming. ;)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 02:01:00 PM by Omen of Peace »

Pan-Fried Hamster

« Reply #87 on: August 07, 2008, 12:19:43 PM »
For party planning purposes, I prefer people knowing I'm a Wizard gish.  Beyond that, they'll see the particulars as they arise.

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #88 on: August 07, 2008, 12:46:14 PM »
But it seems there may be more than one party : at some point Brainpiercing mentioned he may run a mostly good and a mostly evil party ? Or was the idea dropped ?

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: August 11, 2008, 12:17:39 PM »
Originally I had planned to have good and evil players, playing in seperate parties, or rather, loose alliances.
Right now it doesn't look like it'll come to that, but I'm not opposed to it, nor is the idea dropped.

Pan-Fried Hamster

« Reply #90 on: August 14, 2008, 01:05:27 PM »
Hey bossman, your PM inbox is full.

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: August 14, 2008, 01:54:01 PM »
Yeah, so I had noticed. The funny thing is, I used to be able to get around 50 messages, now it says my inbox would be full with 20. What gives? It's 180% full at this point, and I still need most of those messages.

I have already posted in the help forum, I hope someone notices.

Pan-Fried Hamster

« Reply #92 on: August 14, 2008, 02:36:58 PM »
This site does seem to be on the low end for PM storage.

On another note, I'm watching the thread, my character is just waiting for more facts before speaking up again.

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: August 14, 2008, 03:09:07 PM »
Meg fixed it, now I have LOTS of space :).

It's all based on post-count, and apparently I got to a threshhold where it put me in a new group - which cut my message-space in half.

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #94 on: August 15, 2008, 07:07:06 PM »
@Brainpiercing: thanks for the thread. I am aware of it and will post this WE, but I have been busy and jet-lagged...
*bows out*

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: August 18, 2008, 06:49:50 AM »
I have a rules question for everyone:

I swear I read somewhere that RAise Dead doesn't work on someone who died from too many negative levels, but I now can't find where I read it. AFAIK negative levles aren't a Death-effect, because there is no [Death] descriptor on any spells or spell effects associated with them. So basically Raise Dead and also Reincarnation should work, right?

Or does being killed by negative levels already imply you've been turned into an undead creature, since you'll automatically become a Wight?

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #96 on: August 18, 2008, 11:34:10 AM »
You rise as a Wight the night after, so you're not a Wight yet... Raise Dead does work by RAW (I had never noticed it before either) - but that's not stretching it much to houserule that it doesn't.

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: August 18, 2008, 01:26:57 PM »
No, it's fine if it works. 5000gp is still too expensive for everyone to afford. There is a problem with definitions, though: Raise Dead doesn't say what happens to Negative levels you had at time of death. It says it repairs lethal damage, but does not remove curses.
Now negative levels are neither, so I'm going to do is the following:

Raise Dead removes enough negative levels to bring a character to 1 remaining non-negative level. If 24 hours passed since gaining any negative levels (even those a character did not die from) the character must immediately make his saves for his remaining negative levels. By readying an action and casting a sufficient Restoration spell immediately upon completion of Raise Dead the negative levels can be removed before the saves must be made.
If 24hours haven't passed the negative levels remain. Then Raise Dead removes one level from the total of Levels+Negative levels, taking a negative level first, (i.e. draining it).
If only one level remains the character loses two points of Con, as usually.

Reincarnate works differently: The new body has none of the afflictions of the old body, so no negative levels remain.

This arguably makes Reincarnate the better spell. Most races are not inferior to human if gained by reincarnation, because you don't get pesky penalties to mental stats, you arguably keep your bonus feats, and you can gain powerful races without RHD or LA. Of course you could roll for Kobold and get all the bad and none of the good, but hey, no risk, no fun, right?

Does anyone disagree with this? Raise dead comes out as a bit of poor spell like this.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: August 18, 2008, 03:37:52 PM »
That seems reasonable to me.

Another possibility would be to just have the negative levels stack up and remain even in death, as if the corpse were still tainted with negative energies. This would then require restorations to "clean" the corpse before animate dead is cast. Kind of makes sense in my head...
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #99 on: August 18, 2008, 06:18:03 PM »
I had the same idea as Surreal: given that Restoration takes several rounds to cast you can't really ready it, so allowing it to be done beforehand seems better.