Author Topic: OOC discussion  (Read 104614 times)

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
Re: OOC discussion
« Reply #500 on: June 23, 2010, 11:01:14 AM »
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #501 on: June 23, 2010, 11:36:12 AM »
Yes, I know, and I was being touchy. :P

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #502 on: June 23, 2010, 02:32:59 PM »
Geez you guys have cheap rates. I pay my $130 for basic tv, high speed internet, and phone (unlimited long distance within the continent though).
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #503 on: July 05, 2010, 05:52:18 AM »
Announcement

In order to improve fluidity and decrease lags and hold-ups, I would like to introduce Scene-framing. Let's face it, transitions are boring, because only I can really write them (as of yet), and moving about is boring, too. The process of cutting from one scene to the other has, so far, been a bit crude, and I want to improve that.

So, some basic ideas (which are up for discussion):

Definition of a scene:
An encounter or a sequence of events in close proximity of each other, both geographically and temporally. Usually should concern itself with one topic. Once the topic is resolved we should move to the next scene.

Rules:
Anyone can call for a scene, once the last scene is done (or in the process of being concluded). If several people want a scene, majority vote decides or we split. The person calling for the scene or I have to write the transition. If you want some NPCs request them, of course there can also be unforeseen NPCs. If there is an in-character issue as to people following your suggestion, we have to work that out, at best in character. (But it doesn't actually have to be the character who wants to do the scene, the player calls for it, and I provide the backdrop, i.e. forcing the character into the scene.)

The person calling for a scene has to specify the following:
Who
Where
When
Transition how and when

Maybe I should make a new thread for this.

Also, I can veto a scene call if there are obstacles, such as: There is danger on the way, the desired NPC is unavailable or it is improbable you will be able to talk to him directly. Sometimes such obsctacles will directly create a new scene.

For example:

Mael wants to talk to Councilman Bob in Ladydove, and offers to take everyone.

OoP calls for the following:
Who: The party + Councilman Bob
Where: Bob's office
When: The following morning (of whenever)
Transition: Walk from the current location (which in this case should be in Ladydove);

OoP writes up the transition to the doorstep. Since Mael is a respectable citizen, there is no reason he should not get an appointment. I take over to write for Bob.

Now, Daelric wants to talk to king of whereever. But I veto, because the king won't be directly available, so you'll have to talk to the secretary first, and then to a minister, and then to the king.

Now I realize all this has implicitly been used so far, BUT I want to move to formally using it. Why? Because it gives you the right to demand an encounter with someone, for instance, a person who can help you along. It works better formally than implicitly, because implicitly some things get in the way, such as thinking too much about the details of how and when and why. Your characters have a lot of time on their hands to think about these things, you don't have to do it all. We can also assume more things, for instance, in a lot of games groups tend to miss each other after splitting up (well, I've experienced this kind of thing), because the dialogue for where and when they meet again wasn't formalized. But it's not necessary, let the characters think about that off-spotlight. Just assume they arranged things, because they are actually splitting up, but the group of players isn't.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 07:05:00 AM by Brainpiercing »

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #504 on: July 05, 2010, 01:35:36 PM »
[spoiler]
I'm very sorry for Agnak, but I had to use Machinegun Joe to kill him. [/spoiler]

Thistledown Thurbertaut

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Unseelie Fae
    • Email
« Reply #505 on: July 05, 2010, 03:41:38 PM »
Re: scene framing: sounds like good organic cinematic style to me! Like we say, "encounter with Uruks on the edge of Fanghorn Forest" and you give us the helicopter flyby montage of Aragorn, Legolas, and  Gimli running across the plains of New Zealand Middle Earth.

As a note, I am typing from my phone which is very difficult. There have been many frustrating delays in getting my new internet service, and it could be up to a week yet before it's all hooked up... :banghead

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #506 on: July 05, 2010, 04:04:57 PM »
By the way, Thistle

YOU'RE UP!

Ok, we've had so many delays, we can wait for you for a bit.

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #507 on: July 05, 2010, 07:39:51 PM »
Sohala: Mostly fine. But think about those other scenes again some time later. We can do No.1 first. And then we have to rush you through that portal.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #508 on: July 07, 2010, 09:33:34 PM »
Ergh, sorry for falling behind again. All these mini crises keep popping up. For example, my basement started leaking water the other day... argh!
---

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities

Thistledown Thurbertaut

• Unseelie Fae
    • Email
« Reply #509 on: July 07, 2010, 09:38:35 PM »
Less excuses...more posting! :P

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #510 on: July 08, 2010, 03:06:40 AM »
Yep, just as soon as I move the furniture, soak up the water, pull up the carpet, etc...
---

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #511 on: July 12, 2010, 07:59:36 AM »
Anyone else there? Snizor?

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #512 on: July 12, 2010, 08:25:21 AM »
Ah, finally someone new in the thread! And he looks like a Big Stupid Fighter, so Mael will love him... once he stops being afraid of him.

For now he'll happily let stone monster and metal monster go at each others' throats.

Thistledown Thurbertaut

• Unseelie Fae
    • Email
« Reply #513 on: July 12, 2010, 08:29:30 AM »
What makes you think it's a fighter?  :smirk

Oh, and I added a paragraph to my IC post.

Glad to be here!  :D
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 08:38:26 AM by Thistledown Thurbertaut »

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #514 on: July 12, 2010, 08:50:41 AM »
BSF = "tank" ; it's not necessarily the Fighter class.

But perhaps I'll be shocked discovering that he's a Diviner or an Enchanter.

Thistledown Thurbertaut

• Unseelie Fae
    • Email
« Reply #515 on: July 12, 2010, 08:53:09 AM »
Wrong on both counts!  Actually it's a Beguiler...no wait...factotum.  :P  Actually...that just gave me an idea...

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #516 on: July 12, 2010, 08:58:38 AM »
Btw, you should post a public sheet in this thread at some point:
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=810.0

The tower shield is kind of a giveaway, though I guess there is that PrC that allows casting in full armor (Runesmith?), so perhaps with a shield as well.

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #517 on: July 12, 2010, 09:41:55 AM »
Btw, you should post a public sheet in this thread at some point:
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=810.0

The tower shield is kind of a giveaway, though I guess there is that PrC that allows casting in full armor (Runesmith?), so perhaps with a shield as well.
[/quote
There is also a GM that gives away (some select) freebies to make concepts work, so... don't interpret too much. I hope what we've achieved here is both flavourful and viable as a combat character, and won't dominate the game. It's definitely frightfully cool :).

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #518 on: July 12, 2010, 11:19:43 PM »
Okay... so we're jumping straight into combat? Do we have a round of buff/prep time as we're running towards the sounds up ahead?
---

Thistledown Thurbertaut

• Unseelie Fae
    • Email
« Reply #519 on: July 13, 2010, 06:13:41 AM »
Wait a sec...

so do the others have the opportunity to save Agnak?  And if we are going to play through those 2 rounds, then really I haven't made my entrance yet and won't until Agnak is defeated in two rounds, unless the others somehow intervene and prevent that from happening.  Gah...continuity!