Author Topic: OOC discussion  (Read 104616 times)

Thistledown Thurbertaut

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Unseelie Fae
    • Email
Re: OOC discussion
« Reply #480 on: May 19, 2010, 04:01:30 AM »
Just waiting for my introduction.

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #481 on: May 19, 2010, 05:38:08 AM »
If I disappear, it's because I'm busy prepping for a PhD candidacy exam. Gah!
Good luck with that! Is that the exam before you get the title, or before you start your work?

I'm not letting you off the hook, though! also, a bit of relaxation now and then can be very good when prepping for exams. And how to relax better than by [spoiler]downing a few beers with your mates[/spoiler] making a nice post for Mag?

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #482 on: May 19, 2010, 03:19:45 PM »
On another note, I will be away until Tuesday next week, starting tomorrow morning.

Thistledown Thurbertaut

• Unseelie Fae
    • Email
« Reply #483 on: May 26, 2010, 03:47:55 PM »
Hey all just a friendly neigborhood check in.  I am really enjoying the writing here!

Anyways I am moving out of my apartment today, my things will be going into storage but I will have access to a computer sporadiclly and can make short posts from my phone, so I will be around and I get email notification when anyone posts.  It doesn;t seem like my entrance is going to be for a bit yet anyways so it should be all good.

Carry on!

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #484 on: May 26, 2010, 06:10:53 PM »
Hey all just a friendly neigborhood check in.  I am really enjoying the writing here!

Anyways I am moving out of my apartment today, my things will be going into storage but I will have access to a computer sporadiclly and can make short posts from my phone, so I will be around and I get email notification when anyone posts.  It doesn;t seem like my entrance is going to be for a bit yet anyways so it should be all good.

Carry on!
Well, I'm sorry about the delay. We CAN bring you in earlier, it'll just be a bit different...

Thistledown Thurbertaut

• Unseelie Fae
    • Email
« Reply #485 on: May 26, 2010, 10:43:53 PM »
Oh, no. What we discussed is fine.  It's actually really good with the upheaval my life is going through. Besides, the desert-floundering fools into the Underdark first. ;)

I am patient.

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #486 on: May 31, 2010, 07:40:40 AM »
After having this discussion with Sohala, I'd like to remind you of one important aspect of how the ad-libbed aspects of prose writing in this game are handled:

Mechanics are never turned off!

That means that the abilities of a character you portray during non-combat, history, or other activities should always correspond to what's on your sheet. Also ad-libbed combat scenes, the outcome of which should be clear or meaningless, must adhere to your character's abilities. Of course for things like Background and history you can just say you rolled well, but during the game we should always keep the conflict resolution mechanisms in mind. Remember, the world works by the rules, not by realism. Colour can be used to mask the rules, but not replace them.

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #487 on: June 01, 2010, 12:09:50 PM »
Oh, no. What we discussed is fine.  It's actually really good with the upheaval my life is going through. Besides, the desert-floundering fools into the Underdark first. ;)
Oh, is this where we are headed? Int'resting...

I suggest some fast-forwarding in the Desert thread, since we're at a dead-end regarding tracking - it seems the oasis (or a showdown before that...) is our next stop.

Also, I'm preparing a petition for Mael to get XP for avoiding any fight in Ladydove. ;)
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #488 on: June 01, 2010, 02:43:27 PM »
Yes, we should fast-forward, I will prepare that, shortly.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #489 on: June 01, 2010, 04:54:59 PM »
If I disappear, it's because I'm busy prepping for a PhD candidacy exam. Gah!
Good luck with that! Is that the exam before you get the title, or before you start your work?

In my case, it's more like a giant progress report that you can potentially fail. I'm maybe 2/3 of the way through the work. Just submitted the written portion last night at 4am, presentation this Friday, then fly out to a conference to present my research work the week after. Gah!
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #490 on: June 01, 2010, 07:41:07 PM »
What's your field of study?

Me, I SHOULD be 2/3 through my PhD in Inorganic Chemistry, but as it is, I've got squat. Well, for a LONG time squat with the option of it coming to something, but... I still have to prove that.
Quote from: Truth
Gah!

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #491 on: June 02, 2010, 04:01:04 AM »
PhD, mechanical engineer, metallurgy. Experimental repair and coatings of nickel superalloys for turbine components. I just tell people I'm a rocket scientist; it's easier that way.

I too "should" be 2/3 through my PhD, but work has been slow and unmotivated. I'm 4 years in, figure probably another 2 minimum as long as nothing breaks (hah!).
---

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #492 on: June 02, 2010, 09:08:49 PM »
Ouch, six years, seems long.

On another note, I have to announce I'll be away again from tomorrow until sunday night, realistically speaking monday some day.

Sohala I'll tell you about the magical auras later, but you could make another post. There are some there, nothing that would seem to be harmful to you, just some items on the drow.

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #493 on: June 03, 2010, 07:08:40 PM »
"Failed" PhD here. I kinda started one (officially I was doing one though I never really got into it) then decided after walking in circles that I was better off going home (I was in the US) and starting to work.

Now the official tale is that I prolonged my MS. ^^

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #494 on: June 09, 2010, 01:15:33 PM »
Sohala I apologise for the delay in your thread. I was a bit busy with other things. I'll try to post something later or tomorrow.

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #495 on: June 22, 2010, 10:45:49 AM »
By the way, to those guys who are in the desert: We are, at this point, unfortunately sitting in a train station, because it's time to introduce the other new player. So you better hop on that rail or you'll miss the show.

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #496 on: June 22, 2010, 11:00:40 AM »
I'm around, but I was waiting to see if Mag was going to help Mael up. :)

If a 10 in Climb (wall with rough ledges) is enough Mael can help himself up, but I'm wary of assuming too much when it comes to mechanics.

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #497 on: June 22, 2010, 02:05:26 PM »
I'm around, but I was waiting to see if Mag was going to help Mael up. :)

If a 10 in Climb (wall with rough ledges) is enough Mael can help himself up, but I'm wary of assuming too much when it comes to mechanics.
Seems like I really messed up that last one. :rolleyes . Ok, mechanically speaking, I'm thinking about a climb DC 15 is enough. It's a narrow tube, you can lodge yourself in it. [edit]Base DC is 25, brick wall, -10 for being in a narrow tube.[/edit] You'll have to accept a 30ft drop at the end.

Well... we still have some other options, and I was primarily talking to those players who haven't even responded, recently.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 08:15:31 PM by Brainpiercing »

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #498 on: June 22, 2010, 10:27:47 PM »
Sorry, life has swamped me lately. I haven't even caught up on the main thread yet, and I'm about to head out for a belated father's day dinner. That plus my internet at home was out for a few days (*grumble* you'd think paying $130/month for combined services that they'd at least keep the bloody thing working... I'm *this* close to switching companies).
---

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #499 on: June 23, 2010, 07:45:16 AM »
Sorry, life has swamped me lately. I haven't even caught up on the main thread yet, and I'm about to head out for a belated father's day dinner. That plus my internet at home was out for a few days (*grumble* you'd think paying $130/month for combined services that they'd at least keep the bloody thing working... I'm *this* close to switching companies).