Author Topic: OOC discussion  (Read 104614 times)

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: OOC discussion
« Reply #140 on: November 20, 2008, 02:51:37 PM »
1) Those suggestions sound very reasonable to me.
2) I prefer to keep things simple
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #141 on: November 24, 2008, 09:33:31 AM »
I actually think those invisible social mechanics we have used so far (just a roll to estimate success of the argument) has been quite successful. So in spite of making the suggestion I am actually not in favour of expanding the mechanics, at least not in this play-by-post game.

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #142 on: December 11, 2008, 09:49:52 AM »
We've pretty much finished up the exposition and are ready to dive further into the story. Due to my non-combat XP policy, the following XP-awards will now be handed out:

Agnak 1500
Magluglath 1500
Tynien 3600

Mael: not quite there, but soon
Malark: not quite there, but soon

You will note that appropriate monetary rewards have not yet become available, but never worry about that. Combat loot will likely as not be more than normal, once we get there. (And we're approaching the times when meaningful combat will occur.)

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #143 on: December 13, 2008, 09:37:18 PM »
Sorry about the looong hiatus - it's the first time ever that I flake without giving warning. Problem is, it might last a little longer. I could post this week, but I'd be unlikely to remain regular afterwards.

So I'll wait for things to settle down a bit and then see if I can continue or not.

(The quality of the game is not in question here ! I still love the setup. :))
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #144 on: December 14, 2008, 11:31:23 AM »
No problem. Real life comes first. I'll be glad to have you back once you're ready.

Smudgy

• Curious George
« Reply #145 on: December 17, 2008, 09:57:54 PM »
I reeeeaaally need to get my college applications done, and don't even ask about my art work that needs to be finished for Monday. But I'll have a nice and juicy post up tomorrow for sure.

Pan-Fried Hamster

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #146 on: December 20, 2008, 12:29:19 AM »
Oof. I've been gone FOREVER what with my final projects all kicking me in the ass.

I'm really torn. I love being able to write for Tynien, but as soon as I get into it, the slow pace of PbP discourages me and I slip away again. Anyways. Pondering, but I dunno if PbP is my thing. Writing, yes. Waiting, no.

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #147 on: December 20, 2008, 05:35:35 AM »
I have to say games on these boards seem to go even slower than on other PbP pages. Since you are the only one left behind in Ladydove I can offer you a bit of higher speed solo attention - I hope. I'm going back to my parents today for the holidays, but I think I can fork enough time for that. I'm also taking my books, so I won't be stuck with the SRD. However, it still probably won't be more than a post a day, maybe two.

I do hope to keep you around.

Pan-Fried Hamster

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #148 on: December 21, 2008, 12:32:59 PM »
Well, I'm still tied up with holiday plans and helping the significant other through her final couple of assignments, so I'll be another few days myself. 'tis the season. On the upside, I don't go to classes again until late January.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #149 on: December 22, 2008, 12:11:05 AM »
I share the blame for falling behind. Seems life is just really busy for everyone. I'm still recovering from a Christmas potluck at my place yesterday. I was expecting 30 people and got 80.

Oi.
---

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #150 on: December 22, 2008, 12:25:45 PM »
Never worry. Going slowly is something else than quitting.

Oh and Surreal: Holy sh... hope you could put the place back together again :):

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #151 on: January 05, 2009, 01:13:20 AM »
Surreal got down pretty much what I was going to do. He knows my character better than I know his. Though is suppose mine has a much more forward and easy demeanor, so it's easier to guess what he would do.

Yeah... giant guy with Str out the wazoo and a reach weapon, not too hard to figure out that you're probably a charger of some sort  :smirk Incidentally, are you large or medium?

As for that little stunt I pulled, I was intending that it was more a utility knife rather than weapon, which would have been easier to break (I guess it didn't come out that way though). I'm sure Agnak has the Str and DR to pull the same thing without much effort.

Mags has pretty good survivability in a fight, but don't look to him for damage output. In actual melee I won't do much better than swinging for weapon+Str and maybe the occasional trip. I can however buff my allies, which I imagine would increase your potential quite a bit.

You can understand Agnak being off put by Mags, right Surreal
Oh for sure, and Mags is intentionally confrontational like that. I'm doing my best to play him as a goblin after all :D (albeit a really smart one)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 01:17:45 AM by Surreal »
---

Smudgy

• Curious George
« Reply #152 on: January 05, 2009, 01:54:41 AM »
It's the first time I've ever made a melee character; I'm pretty much always a caster. So I figured I'd go with something simple like a charger, y'know? Oh, and Agnak's medium, but with powerful build, hence the wings from half-dragon.

The knife thing shouldn't be a problem methinks. If it comes to the point where the soldiers are having to use a dagger of any type in a fight, it'll be too late anyways.

Agnak should be able to handle the damage output just fine, though his build hasn't fully bloomed yet (lvl 12). Any buffing of any type is of great help.

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #153 on: January 05, 2009, 12:06:52 PM »
We're almost there with the battle. I admit I forgot about you wanting to go to the armoury.

I also forgot that I wanted to introduce yet MORE instant house-rules:

1s) Reach weapons and size: Reach weapons now add an inherent amount of reach that results in a doubling of the native reach if user and weapon match:
Tiny, Small and medium weapons add five feet.
Large Weapons add 10 feet
Huge Weapons add 15 feet
Gargantuan weapons add 20 feet
Colossal Weapons add 30 feet

The range where attackign with the weapon is not possible is always considered to be the natural reach of the creature. So a medium creature wielding a large polearm can attack at 15 and 10 ft, and can't attack at 5ft.

2) Initiative:
Doing an initiative order in PbP is really difficult. What I'll be doing is this: Everybody acts when they post, although they CAN delay actions as usually. You can describe a delayed or readied action in advance and then it will be executed when the condition is met.
If you have a very high initiative score, or even just feats that increase your initiatve, you may roll your initiative and state your result as usually. If you roll over 20 this will allow you to interrupt the sequence of actions, but NOT like a readied action. You must move your actions between an entire sequence posted by an adversary.
For example:
Bob has +8 to Initiative, while everybody else has far less. Bob rolls a 21 (and is the one with the hightest roll, as well). I aknowledge that Bob has a high initiative, and therefore post that two minotaurs are getting ready to charge him, unless something happens that won't allow them to. I make some rolls in advance. In the case that something stops them they will only try to move and attack, implying they do their utmost do do so, including making checks to move, etc. Bob then posts that he casts web on the Minotaurs BEFORE they start their charge and entangles them. He could also just blast them for damage, which will arrive before the charge, or he could post and execute a readied action immediately. Since he should go first next turn, he can also post a second set of actions immediately. In my next post they try to untangle themselves retroactively, and then do their next actions.
This will hopefully result in an organic sequence where the posting order naturally assumes the initiative order, at least for people with high initiative scores. When players are confronted with enemies with high intiative scores they should also incorporate this possibility that their actions, even if posted first, will be delayed after posting.
I aknowledge that this makes initiative both more and less powerful.

Smudgy

• Curious George
« Reply #154 on: January 05, 2009, 05:01:05 PM »
So Agnak has a 15ft reach now correct?

I'll get my post in late tonight. My teachers are assholes, and slammed me with a fuckin' giant pile of homework, right after vacation! But I'll be sure to get something up tonight.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #155 on: January 05, 2009, 08:48:28 PM »
[ooc]Ack, forgot about that. Well, you can't use the wand then. And Agnak can't use it, either, due to being non-lawful, I guess. The soldier doesn't know that, obviously. I said at the beginning that you might occasionally have to use an item, but only if it's really important. I guess you can use stuff you find lying around on the battle field, as long as you dump it back there, afterwards. It's called vow of Poverty, not vow of stupidity.
Heh, awesome.

As an aside, there was a WotC article or ruling somewhere that creatures with certain DRs automatically overcame the DRs of their own kind (for example, werewolves' natural weapons are considered silvered, etc). Following that line, if Mag needed to get through some tough DR, could he for example rip off the arm of a (presumably dead) lesser demon and attack his foes with it? (ooh, or maybe I could just wear the claws over my own arm... heh, de facto prosthetic :D)
---

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #156 on: January 05, 2009, 09:35:27 PM »
[ooc]Ack, forgot about that. Well, you can't use the wand then. And Agnak can't use it, either, due to being non-lawful, I guess. The soldier doesn't know that, obviously. I said at the beginning that you might occasionally have to use an item, but only if it's really important. I guess you can use stuff you find lying around on the battle field, as long as you dump it back there, afterwards. It's called vow of Poverty, not vow of stupidity.
Heh, awesome.

As an aside, there was a WotC article or ruling somewhere that creatures with certain DRs automatically overcame the DRs of their own kind (for example, werewolves' natural weapons are considered silvered, etc). Following that line, if Mag needed to get through some tough DR, could he for example rip off the arm of a (presumably dead) lesser demon and attack his foes with it? (ooh, or maybe I could just wear the claws over my own arm... heh, de facto prosthetic :D)
That won't work. Only the DR/Magic is overcome in that way (look in the MM1, in the glossary), if the creature has DR/magic itself, and you don't need that. You can't overcome DR/Alignment in that manner, neither can you overcome /Bludgeoning, etc., nor /Material. Of course, if the creature has a certain subtype, and you take care to attack with its natural weapons, you could perhaps argue that the attack has that subtype, but to beat some demons you would need something like /good and maybe something else. Plus such a limb would always be an improvised weapon and carry penalties, and it's subtype characteristics would dissipate over time just like a magical aura.

In any case, if you notice your attacks just don't do anything I don't think it breaks your vow to pick something up to deal more damage, like a two-handed weapon. Since your natural weapons already have an alignment you also cannot change that. Any weapon you pick up also has your subtype alignment, as well as any other alignments it may have. I guess it's not too late to ask to borrow a good-aligned weapon. Whether they will have any left-over is another question. And watch out for those holy weapons :).

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #157 on: January 07, 2009, 11:29:43 AM »
I've made a preliminary battle grid plan. If you could PM me your email adresses I will email you the file, since attaching it here won't work. (It's too large.) It doesn't have any positions yet.

If you like I can email you the excel file, that would make it easier for me to adapt to changes and enter the positions in the battle, without having to always export to jpeg.

Smudgy

• Curious George
« Reply #158 on: January 15, 2009, 09:27:32 PM »
Just curious, are you waiting on us, or are we waiting on you? I mean, it's fine if you're busy, no rush. The battle looks like a hefty piece of work as it is.

I was only wondering if there was anything you were expecting us to do at this time.

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #159 on: January 16, 2009, 06:49:03 AM »
No, i'm the one at fault, I'm afraid. The trouble is I haven't had some leisure time to sit down for half an hour and think things through for a while. I'm also not sleeping nearly enough at the moment.:) I HOPE I can get something out on the weekend. I don't want to just write something, because it could get messy. I already had the problem of not thinking about what all those demons can actually DO, and I want to do them justice. For example, in the entire setup I forgot that nearly every demon entry has at will teleportation, or rather, that they could use it to get AWAY. I thought about them getting into town like that, but not out of town. And now, well, town defences just got MORE expensive :).