Author Topic: Help with a Knight:  (Read 1784 times)

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Help with a Knight:
« on: June 14, 2010, 03:00:06 PM »
I have an interesting conundrum. I wish to play a tripping knight (Stand Still, probably a dwarven warpike). However, Tome of Battle isn't allowed (Or I'd be a crusader!)

So, my question: Can you make a good lock down build without using Thicket of Blades? (Don't forget, knights get an ability at 3rd level that makes it impossible to 5' step outside their threatened area.) It needs to be effective from ECL6 onwards, since that is when we start. I'd prefer to be human. (Which isn't a problem, I'm sure.)

(For the build, my sources are SRD, PHB2, DMG2, CArc, CM, CW, CAdv, CSco, HoH, HoB, LM, LoM, CityS, DungeonS, FB, SS, SW, RotW, RoS, RoD, MiC, SpC. Hopefully those are the right acronyms.)

The Knight Handbook here on BG seems to be incomplete for the foreseeable future. I'll go check GitP and 339, but anyone with actual experience with a tripper build will be more helpful than a guide.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 03:10:10 PM by Generic_PC »
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
Re: Help with a Knight:
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 03:12:01 PM »
Monk6/Knight3/Drunken Master4

Cue the wielding of 100 ft ladders as reach weapons.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 03:19:41 PM »
An interesting thought. Do ladders threaten inside their area, or just at 100'?

Looks like, minimum, I'll need a couple feats. In order of relative importance, Combat Expertise, Improved Trip, EWP (Dwarven Warpike) (for 2d6 damage+reach, and a couple other bonuses), Power Attack and Mage Slayer all look like they're good things to have. Thoughts on these for feats? (I'll have 4 at level 6. 1+Human, 3 and 6.)

Is stand still worth getting along with trip, in case I'm fighting huge creatures?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 04:14:04 PM by Generic_PC »
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 11:49:34 PM »
Double post, I know. Call me impatient. I've got a new development. Flaws are allowed.

Black Knight

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 02:20:57 PM »
Spiked Chain is a way better weapon choice than a dwarven warpike for tripping builds.  Probably the best weapon you can get, since you can also use it adjacent and you can use Weapon Finesse with it.

Max out your DEX to get the most AoO you can.  Depending on how your DM runs Cleave, you can get an extra attack when you drop someone by tripping them.

Monk 2 / Knight 2 / Fighter 2 / Knight 1

1:  Flaw:  EWP(Spiked Chain), Flaw: Combat Expertise, H: Improved Trip, 1:  Weapon Finesse, M: Improved Grapple
2:  M: Combat Reflexes, Monk CF: Evasion
3:  Knowledge Devotion
5:  F:Power Attack

6:  Stand Still, F:Cleave
7:  Knight CF:  Bulwark of Defense

Items:  
Living Chain of Sweeping
Helm of Battle
Greatreach Bracers

Edit:  Modified build so you can take Cleave when you have the required BAB.

Cheers.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 02:29:07 PM by Black Knight »
If you are an ethical person, you do the right thing even when no one is watching...

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 03:46:35 PM »
The SRD has a variant barbarian that gains improved trip as a bonus feat at 2nd level, wolf totem barbarian.  That can be a good way to avoid needing int 13 and combat expertise. 

Races of stone has the goliath race and mountain rage racial substitution level for barbarian that makes you large and gives you an extra +2 str when you rage.  If you don't want to use this, you can instead pay 2,960 for NPC casting of enlarge person and permanency and hope it never gets dispelled. 

If your DM allows it, you can use the weapon group variant from the SRD to gain proficiency with the spiked chain in exchange for limiting your other proficiencies.