Author Topic: Simple Q&A 28: Revenge of the Monktopus  (Read 144732 times)

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
Re: Simple Q&A 28: Revenge of the Monktopus
« Reply #520 on: September 02, 2011, 04:06:27 AM »
Bump. 

Q 126:is eligible for persistent spell.) 

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #521 on: September 02, 2011, 04:25:56 AM »
Q 145: What happens if a ghost uses Malevolence to possess someone then de-manifests?
Countdown to Zombie Apocalypse 97
When you see this, copy it into your sig and -1
:lovefirefox
Quotes [spoiler]
In other words, he thinks there's a "correct" way to play D&D.  *sigh*
There is: Kill shit and loot the corpse!
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
[/spoiler]

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #522 on: September 02, 2011, 03:31:42 PM »
Q 146: When an animal companion becomes a Magical Beast from an Arcane Heirophant's Companion Familiar ability, are the HD and BaB recalculated for the new type or do they remain as they originally were for the Animal type? The relevant differences are d10 HD and full BaB instead of d8 and 3/4 BaB. Also, Magical Beasts get darkvision.

If the HD change applies, would it modify all of the hit dice, or just the companion's normal HD for the purpose of hit points? The text of Animal Companion specifies that the bonus HD are d8s.
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

kremti

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #523 on: September 02, 2011, 03:41:54 PM »
A146: This phrase "The Hit Dice, hit points, attack bonus, saving throws, feats, and skills of the familiar companion are determined as normal for an animal companion." appears to indicate that they are as originally were for the animal type as "determined as normal for an animal companion" clause.

-K

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #524 on: September 02, 2011, 04:30:27 PM »
I thought so, but then I considered that it might have been in reference to how familiars determine them instead of in reference to the type change. Thanks for the confirmation.
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #525 on: September 02, 2011, 04:32:25 PM »
Q 147 A large-sized undead is wearing spiked armor and is going to use a slam attack against an opponent. How do you determine what the damage dealt is?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #526 on: September 02, 2011, 04:35:03 PM »
Q 147 A large-sized undead is wearing spiked armor and is going to use a slam attack against an opponent. How do you determine what the damage dealt is?
Slam attack damage.  It's stupid, but there isn't really a way to combine Armor Spike damage to a slam attack unless you're a Warforged Juggernaut (and even then, you have some hurdles).
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #527 on: September 02, 2011, 04:36:08 PM »
Slam attack damage.  It's stupid, but there isn't really a way to combine Armor Spike damage to a slam attack unless you're a Warforged Juggernaut.
Dang. I wondered what was up when all I could find was "in addition to grapple damage" in the write-up.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #528 on: September 02, 2011, 05:02:28 PM »
Q 148 Just how "permanent" is the Permanent duration of a spell?

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #529 on: September 02, 2011, 05:05:16 PM »
Q 148 Just how "permanent" is the Permanent duration of a spell?
I believe it has no natural end, but as it isn't instantaneous, it can meet an unnatural end (such as a dispel or suppression in AMF).
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

balluga

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #530 on: September 02, 2011, 07:33:44 PM »
Q149a: What can a Glimmerskin (MM2, pg. 114) that has used its Heroic Bond feature do during combat?

Q149b: Can a Glimmerskin that has used its Heroic Bond feature be attacked directly?

Q149c: Do creatures that are subject to the Heroic Bond that "explode" from a Glimmerskin's Energy Touch survive? The text says that the Glimmerskin's host automatically benefits from the additional HP, but gets no save to reduce the damage from the blast. I take this to mean that the extra energy explodes outward, not the creature.

Thank you in advance.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #531 on: September 03, 2011, 05:42:23 AM »
Q 150 Is there a spell list somewhere that lets you know what arcane spells don't have to worry about arcane spell failure? I know WotC made a list of core spells for the Eldritch Knight when they did a write up for that, but I'd like something with more book sources involved.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #532 on: September 03, 2011, 05:47:43 AM »
Q 150 Is there a spell list somewhere that lets you know what arcane spells don't have to worry about arcane spell failure?

The search function on IMarvinTPA lets you search for spells without somatic components.  

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #533 on: September 03, 2011, 06:02:33 AM »
Q 150 Is there a spell list somewhere that lets you know what arcane spells don't have to worry about arcane spell failure?

The search function on IMarvinTPA lets you search for spells without somatic components.  
Ah. That'd probably be why I couldn't make it work. I was actually looking for "arcane spell failure" on it.

Unfortunately, not all of the books are on that site. Majority are though.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #534 on: September 03, 2011, 11:25:39 AM »
Q 151: Aside from specific instances where they spell out a monster's associated classes (like they do with the Verdant Prince in MM4), is there any sort of guideline for what is and isn't an associated class for different creatures, other than "if it enhances it's combat ability, for a melee monster, it's associated," etc?

I'm building some Half-fiend and Fiendish trolls, and putting 4 levels of Warlock on a Half-Fiend Ice Troll for only +2 CR just seems dirty, especially when I give him Hideous Blow.  Now he can fly around, cover my party with Darkness (and see just fine, thanks to Devil's Sight) and blast my party with Mortal Bane'd Eldritch Blasts...

And taking 10 on UMD checks to auto-activate wands seems dirty too...  :smirk
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #535 on: September 03, 2011, 02:40:34 PM »
Q 151: Aside from specific instances where they spell out a monster's associated classes (like they do with the Verdant Prince in MM4), is there any sort of guideline for what is and isn't an associated class for different creatures, other than "if it enhances it's combat ability, for a melee monster, it's associated," etc?

I'm building some Half-fiend and Fiendish trolls, and putting 4 levels of Warlock on a Half-Fiend Ice Troll for only +2 CR just seems dirty, especially when I give him Hideous Blow.  Now he can fly around, cover my party with Darkness (and see just fine, thanks to Devil's Sight) and blast my party with Mortal Bane'd Eldritch Blasts...

And taking 10 on UMD checks to auto-activate wands seems dirty too...  :smirk
I am not sure but I feel I must warn you that those are stupid rules and lead nowhere good.

Vasja

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #536 on: September 03, 2011, 04:43:48 PM »
Q152: This is probably stupid, but what stops a spellcasting prestige class from advancing another spellcasting prestige class? Why can't, for example, Archmage advance Ultimate Magus spellcasting (as long as the UM in question has 7th level spells)?

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #537 on: September 03, 2011, 05:55:56 PM »

I'm building some Half-fiend and Fiendish trolls, and putting 4 levels of Warlock on a Half-Fiend Ice Troll for only +2 CR just seems dirty, especially when I give him Hideous Blow.  Now he can fly around, cover my party with Darkness (and see just fine, thanks to Devil's Sight) and blast my party with Mortal Bane'd Eldritch Blasts...

And taking 10 on UMD checks to auto-activate wands seems dirty too...  :smirk
It's not brought up until Pathfinder, actually. That's when they go into detail, but there's no specific class. Basically you have to figure out what the "role" of the creature is. If it's beating the crap out of PCs with their fists, then fighter, or something with full BAB will suffice as "associated", while wizard or warlock would be "unassociated".

Q152: This is probably stupid, but what stops a spellcasting prestige class from advancing another spellcasting prestige class? Why can't, for example, Archmage advance Ultimate Magus spellcasting (as long as the UM in question has 7th level spells)?
Because it specifically will state that it only advances one, while Ultimate Magus says it'll do two. Hence why you'll read "If you have two spellcasting classes, pick one and only that one will progress".

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #538 on: September 03, 2011, 06:15:09 PM »

A spellcasting prestige class will advance the spellcasting of another prestige class, if the other prestige class has its own spellcasting.  A prestige class that simply advances (possibly with modification) the spellcasting of one or more previous classes contributes nothing like that to advance.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #539 on: September 03, 2011, 10:08:35 PM »
Multiplying Damage

Sometimes you multiply damage by some factor, such as on a critical hit. Roll the damage (with all modifiers) multiple times and total the results. Note: When you multiply damage more than once, each multiplier works off the original, unmultiplied damage.

Exception:

Q153:  What is an "extra" damage die, exactly?  Would your natural weapon damage from beast strike count and not be multiplied?
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."