Author Topic: Simple Q&A 28: Revenge of the Monktopus  (Read 144743 times)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Simple Q&A 28: Revenge of the Monktopus
« Reply #700 on: September 14, 2011, 07:31:28 PM »
Q 208 Could you Reach/Chain the spell deeper darkness?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #701 on: September 14, 2011, 08:19:35 PM »
Q 208 Could you Reach/Chain the spell deeper darkness?
Yes, though maybe only the version that is cast on (unattended) objects.  I'd have to read the specifics of chain spell again.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Nagukuk

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #702 on: September 14, 2011, 08:42:42 PM »
Q206 B Another related Epic Question

So the Fighter 20 who becomes a caster / whatever can progress his Spells Until lvl 20.

Can the Wizzy 20 who has a (BaB 10) when he decides to become a Fighter 1 progress his BaB to 11 and onward to 20?

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #703 on: September 14, 2011, 09:05:04 PM »
So the Fighter 20 who becomes a caster / whatever can progress his Spells Until lvl 20. Can the Wizzy 20 who has a (BaB 10) when he decides to become a Fighter 1 progress his BaB to 11 and onward to 20?

No.  Base attack bonus and saves switch over after character level 20.  Other class features switch over after 20 levels in that specific class.  

Scrollreader

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #704 on: September 14, 2011, 09:06:01 PM »
A: 206 B

Nope.  This is one of the primary reasons gish builds (and in fact, any 'epic ready') build you see on these boards tries to have BAB +16 before hitting epic.  If you don't have the fourth attack before hitting L20, you won't ever have it.   (Natural Weapon Users, and Casters have their own goals for epic, usually around getting Epic Spellcasting ASAP, or else just having a plethora of natural attacks (via warshaper, etc) so number of iteratives doesn't matter for them.

Edit: Swordsaged
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 09:09:47 PM by Scrollreader »

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #705 on: September 14, 2011, 09:35:09 PM »
So the Fighter 20 who becomes a caster / whatever can progress his Spells Until lvl 20. Can the Wizzy 20 who has a (BaB 10) when he decides to become a Fighter 1 progress his BaB to 11 and onward to 20?

No.  Base attack bonus and saves switch over after character level 20.  Other class features switch over after 20 levels in that specific class.  

There are a few ways to get higher than 20 BAB... 20+ racial HD and slightly easier than that Divine Power.

Nagukuk

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #706 on: September 14, 2011, 09:42:15 PM »

Nope.  This is one of the primary reasons gish builds (and in fact, any 'epic ready') build you see on these boards tries to have BAB +16 before hitting epic.  If you don't have the fourth attack before hitting L20, you won't ever have it.   (Natural Weapon Users, and Casters have their own goals for epic, usually around getting Epic Spellcasting ASAP, or else just having a plethora of natural attacks (via warshaper, etc) so number of iteratives doesn't matter for them.

I figured as such ... But the Rah'tarded Monkey Scrawls in the Epic Level handbook are so difficult to decipher.

Mister Lamp

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Ia Ia Cthulhu Fhtagn
« Reply #707 on: September 14, 2011, 10:28:15 PM »

I figured as such ... But the Rah'tarded Monkey Scrawls in the Epic Level handbook are so difficult to decipher.

What you meant to say was the rah'tarded monkey scrawl that is the epic level rules.
That was somewhat misleading on my part. Think of it as self-confidence, self-image, the ego, and other such things, not people skills. Someone with a low Charisma who goes insane is probably suffering crippling self-doubt or has a skewed perception of him/herself (or, given the power of the entities in the Cthulhu mythos, an accurate perception of his or her place in the universe).

Scrollreader

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #708 on: September 15, 2011, 12:38:40 AM »
Q: 209

I seem to remember someone explaining/breaking the business rules from the DMG 2.  If I recall correctly, it was a vast farm co-op, at least initially.  Does anyone have a link?

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #709 on: September 15, 2011, 01:06:07 AM »

I seem to remember someone explaining/breaking the business rules from the DMG 2.  If I recall correctly, it was a vast farm co-op, at least initially.  Does anyone have a link?
I remember stating up something like this. It used the Upgrade rules to get insane Bonus to the profit check.
The bottom line was that any business capable of breaking even on profit checks (DC 25) and a bit of extra funds could start an infinite positive spiral.

I don't have a Link but I do have some of my notes.

[spoiler]Have followers set up this business in the wilderness.
Name      : Farm
Capital      : 500
Resources   : low (simple house 1000 gp)
Risk      : low (5 * profit rating)
Prime Skills   : Profession (farmer)
Other skills   : Handle animal, knowledge (nature)
Guild      : Naturalist
Upgrade cost   : 125 gp

a Level 1 commoner can have +10 to the check (4 ranks, skill focus, Guild, >40 hours of work)
ad in the other bonuses (-10 wilderness (have to use as upgrades become dime a dozen) +2 (low resource low risk business) +14 (7 more commoners aiding another) gives a net bonus of +16. He then takes a 10, and makes 5 gp.
After making 5 gp for 3 months, he spends 125 gp to upgrade (should be supplied at start). If we assume slightly below average rolls throughout, that +2 every 3 months. In 1 year (4 upgrades) the farm can pay for it's own upgrades. Just under 2 years late (7 upgrades) the farm only needs 1 worker. At that point, the farm has become an infinite money engine, and will break even in under 4 years with just a 3500 gp starting fund.(3500 gp profit after ~ 44 months. That much again after another 20 months. Then again after 15. Then 13. Then 10.)[/spoiler]

Q210: I don't suppose I'm lucky and the human bonus skill points take effect after the minimum 1 skill point per level? 2+INT Bonus sucks when your INT is 5. Not +5, 5. Getting 2 skills instead of 1 would be great.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 03:10:16 AM by jojolagger »
Countdown to Zombie Apocalypse 97
When you see this, copy it into your sig and -1
:lovefirefox
Quotes [spoiler]
In other words, he thinks there's a "correct" way to play D&D.  *sigh*
There is: Kill shit and loot the corpse!
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
[/spoiler]

Jopustopin

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #710 on: September 15, 2011, 03:13:03 AM »

Hazren

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #711 on: September 15, 2011, 03:52:54 AM »

I think this is what you are looking for?

http://web.archive.org/web/20080513230936/http://forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-605008

Or maybe this one?
http://web.archive.org/web/20080416122101/http://forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-605711
"My solution way too often is to press the red button and see the world burn, which brings us back to the fiery pits of Hell..."
Tshern

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #712 on: September 15, 2011, 04:35:50 AM »
Q 211 How exactly does the Expanded Classes version of Soulbound Weapon for the Psychic Warrior work? Is it the soulknife's mind blade? Or are you stuck with a mundane weapon which eventually becomes a magic weapon?
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070214a

Rejakor

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #713 on: September 15, 2011, 05:01:18 AM »

Okay, there's a couple of things that could be happening here and I can't be fucked reading through all of dragon magic to find out which so i'm going to give the general rule;

If there is a specific type of ability laid out in dragon magic or the MM or races of the dragon or something, called 'breath weapons', that specifically has all that rules text for all breath weapons everywhere forever, and the dragon shaman/born's breath weapons call themselves 'breath weapons', then yes, that rule applies.

If that is just the entry for dragon breath weapons, and dragonborn and dragon shaman breath weapons don't mention that specific clause, then no, it does not apply.

If dragonborn and dragon shaman breath weapons state 'like a dragon's breath weapon' anywhere, then yes, that rule applies to them.

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #714 on: September 15, 2011, 10:57:31 AM »
We've got 2 Q210's competing.  Kevinvideo's question is really Q212.
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #715 on: September 15, 2011, 11:00:35 AM »

Q210: I don't suppose I'm lucky and the human bonus skill points take effect after the minimum 1 skill point per level? 2+INT Bonus sucks when your INT is 5. Not +5, 5. Getting 2 skills instead of 1 would be great.

I'm quite sure it applies after, so even the dumbest human gets 2 skill points per level. Not that's gonna do you much good, but it's double what a stupid dwarf would get.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #716 on: September 15, 2011, 01:42:25 PM »
I'll put this at the write number since my 211's supposed to be 212.

Q 213 Read Kord's god-blooded ability that allows you to take only half the normal ability damage you'd take if it's against your Con. It doesn't say rounded down or up though. Nor does it say "a minimum of 1". So what if you're fighting something that only ever does 1 Con damage? Do you still take the 1 pt, or do you take none?

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #717 on: September 15, 2011, 01:55:10 PM »

Q 213 Read Kord's god-blooded ability that allows you to take only half the normal ability damage you'd take if it's against your Con. It doesn't say rounded down or up though. Nor does it say "a minimum of 1". So what if you're fighting something that only ever does 1 Con damage? Do you still take the 1 pt, or do you take none?
Unless otherwise noted, assume it rounds down in D&D.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #718 on: September 15, 2011, 01:56:31 PM »

So half of 1 would always be 0 then. I know most things say "to a minimum of 1", which is why I'm wondering which assumption should be taken.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #719 on: September 15, 2011, 04:10:41 PM »

So half of 1 would always be 0 then. I know most things say "to a minimum of 1", which is why I'm wondering which assumption should be taken.

To a minimum of 1 would be a specific alteration to the norm.